Random Thoughts Thread

I just realize this morning as I was posting the first drive of the Maxima that I have a wave of relief come over me whenever I finish something like that. Then I get snapped back into the real world as I realize I still have a fair number of reviews to get up. Sigh.

This morning the son, I think he's about 25, called me up and started serious conversation RE buying my first car, which has been in storage now for 25 years. I have never advertised it, nor really evaluated what I would ask, tho I did throw out a number. He threw out a close counter-offer… and I am torn. LOT of sentimentality tied up in that car. Have to ponder deeply...

Well...........writing as someone who has sold a bunch of "sentimental" cars the last 2+ years ... if you don't HAVE to sell it ... & KNOW you want to keep it ... don't sell it.  You'll regret it.  I'm now having to consider the possibility of selling my 1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics ... which would absolutely throw me into a deep depression ... lol.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Isn't that the way they say it goes?" __ Jim Croce __ 'Operator'

Oh no Cort. I hope for your sake you are able to still hold onto the Caprices.

FINALLY a woman answers the door to me in a bra….. but she's NINETY.

A cute 90, but still…. :(

By you saying "finally" leads me to conclude...beggars cant be choosers. Therefore turn that frown upside down...and Ill give you a thumbs up :thumbsup:  if you decide to "go for it"  :D 

Uh.... still tired. And the pressures of being a pivotal member of your work group.

It's like they need you ALL the time. Goddamn it.

By the way, what do you guys think of my sig? Pretty nifty joke from a colleague.

Edited by Suaviloquent

Oh no Cort. I hope for your sake you are able to still hold onto the Caprices.

Thank you, WM.  But, at the moment, not looking good. Ads go up for both this week yet.

"I'm feeling more alone than I ever have before" __ Ben Folds 5 __ 'Brick'

Why do mgmt always have idiots. Let them go do not promote them. If they failed at their job, butter to let them go then move them up. Never understood that mentality.

When will Term Limits be instituted for all the Morons in DC?

Won't help, if enough people like those idiots to keep voting them in, then they'll find another one just like them and go for it again.  Term limits won't help until the people electing those officials become more educated on politics and the available candidates.  That goes for both sides of the political divide, no one has been exempt from electing morons.  What makes it extra tough is the moron bit is subjective, one man's moron may be another's genius, it just depends on how their views align.

Why do mgmt always have idiots. Let them go do not promote them. If they failed at their job, butter to let them go then move them up. Never understood that mentality.

It's called being a f@#k-up move-up.

When will Term Limits be instituted for all the Morons in DC?

Won't help, if enough people like those idiots to keep voting them in, then they'll find another one just like them and go for it again.  Term limits won't help until the people electing those officials become more educated on politics and the available candidates.  That goes for both sides of the political divide, no one has been exempt from electing morons.  What makes it extra tough is the moron bit is subjective, one man's moron may be another's genius, it just depends on how their views align.

Of course it will help! Christ, man, you see some of these career politicians in congress? They're in office half their life and they are barely human anymore. Do you think they give one sliver of a f@#k about constituents at that point? At least fresh politicians have to work to at least give the appearance of working for the people.

In Maryland I've had to listen to sh*theads like Michael Busch and Barbara Mikulski just wipe their ass with the budget and stonewall any legislation--no matter how bipartisan or logical--from the opposite party.

^ Look at it this way, where, in any industry, can you find a public approval rating about 9%, and a re-election percentage north of 90%??

- - - - -

Came to a decision NOT to sell off my first car ever (which I obviously still have). 

For one thing, it's worth about double the number I tossed out to the young guy who has called me 3 times in a week about it. Hmmmm...

• Agree 1

Need advice cleaning a dry cone intake filter. It's an Amsoil nanofiber and their website has very little by way of cleaning interval or method.

They just say to clean with a vacuum (!?) from the dirty side but not how often, and suggest replacing the filter entirely after 4 years. Other dry filters as well as oiled filters suggest soaking with soapy water and rinsing from the inside until the water comes out clear. Is this bad for nanofiber?

It's been a year and ~10,000 miles as of now and I took it out to examine it and vacuum clean it, but that doesn't seem adequate. The filter is still in good condition, so this isn't an urgent situation.

Need advice cleaning a dry cone intake filter. It's an Amsoil nanofiber and their website has very little by way of cleaning interval or method.

They just say to clean with a vacuum (!?) from the dirty side but not how often, and suggest replacing the filter entirely after 4 years. Other dry filters as well as oiled filters suggest soaking with soapy water and rinsing from the inside until the water comes out clear. Is this bad for nanofiber?

It's been a year and ~10,000 miles as of now and I took it out to examine it and vacuum clean it, but that doesn't seem adequate. The filter is still in good condition, so this isn't an urgent situation.

that sounds like a question for Dodgefan... maybe he'll wander in here

So I've done directed audio meditation for years to help deal with the stress and anxiety I get at work.   Today I stumbled on something called ASMR on youtube.  It is basically people whispering a simulated conversation to you and making various very soft sounds like scratching or tapping on either side of a stereo microphone.  It seems really really strange at first... but then I feel like "hey! this might actually be working!" 

The kicker:  I found it while looking for a video of a carnival band organ.... something exactly the opposite in volume as this ASMR stuff.

So I've done directed audio meditation for years to help deal with the stress and anxiety I get at work.   Today I stumbled on something called ASMR on youtube.  It is basically people whispering a simulated conversation to you and making various very soft sounds like scratching or tapping on either side of a stereo microphone.  It seems really really strange at first... but then I feel like "hey! this might actually be working!" 

The kicker:  I found it while looking for a video of a carnival band organ.... something exactly the opposite in volume as this ASMR stuff.

I can return the favor from earlier, my girlfriend does ASMR all the time to wind down before bed. My favorite vids are by a person named "Heather Feather." She has some odd roll playing that I'm not into, but she also has several guided meditations and one called an "aural message" that will relax you from head to toe, it's crazy! Gotta use headphones though to get the best effect.

I can return the favor from earlier, my girlfriend does ASMR all the time to wind down before bed. My favorite vids are by a person named "Heather Feather." She has some odd roll playing that I'm not into, but she also has several guided meditations and one called an "aural message" that will relax you from head to toe, it's crazy! Gotta use headphones though to get the best effect.

I've used a series called The Meditation Podcast for years to help me sleep. They use something called binaural beats, but it's nothing like this ASMR stuff.  The two series I found online also have a bit of odd roleplay scenarios, but at least last night, I found them far more effective than what I was using previously. 

Yes, political dynasties have become the modern euphemism for medieval dictatorships. It's no question that like in the past, change in leadership comes at the expense of the losing party's credibility.  Whether if it was beheadings in the not too distant  past in terms of the age of human civilization to the death of one's political career due to the embarrassment of the discovery of sheer incompetence; they are essentially the same means to an end.

Yes, political dynasties have become the modern euphemism for medieval dictatorships. It's no question that like in the past, change in leadership comes at the expense of the losing party's credibility.  Whether if it was beheadings in the not too distant  past in terms of the age of human civilization to the death of one's political career due to the embarrassment of the discovery of sheer incompetence; they are essentially the same means to an end.

But a 'skilled', entrenched politician can too easily spin away sheer incompetence, whereas a beheading (today) would be harder to argue, caught on a dozen cell phone cameras.

- - - - -

Blog… or book??

Edited by balthazar

But a 'skilled', entrenched politician can too easily spin away sheer incompetence, whereas a beheading (today) would be harder to argue, caught on a dozen cell phone cameras.

Yeah, and too old fashioned.  Predator drones work better today..

Alberta voted in the NDP. I keep looking out the window for locust plagues. 

Even with the drop off in oil, didn't the conservative party run a deficit even during the boom times? In terms of the Canadian political landscape, I trust Harper, only because we know what we're getting.

Alberta voted in the NDP. I keep looking out the window for locust plagues.

Even with the drop off in oil, didn't the conservative party run a deficit even during the boom times? In terms of the Canadian political landscape, I trust Harper, only because we know what we're getting.

Prime Minister Steve has made great political mileage from being a mixture of the most desirable of Canadian traits: competent, bland, and (outwardly) boring. I suspect the real Stephen Harper, while not as gonzo as Mackenzie King turned out to be, is probably more along the lines of the guy we occasionally see who sings Beatles songs on the piano and gets all giddy about his hockey sweater collection.

Came to a decision NOT to sell off my first car ever (which I obviously still have). 

For one thing, it's worth about double the number I tossed out to the young guy who has called me 3 times in a week about it. Hmmmm...

Awesome ... glad you decided to keep it!!!!  Wish I had that option for my 2 Caprice Classics.

"I walk for miles along the highway" __ Patsy Cline __ 'Walking After Midnight'

I have had those and I always use water from the inside of the filter to push the dirt back out the incoming side. I first vacumed it and then hosed it out. After a good run and what looks like clean water, I then let it dry in the sun and put it back on. Mine have worked really well for me so far.

• Agree 1

I have had those and I always use water from the inside of the filter to push the dirt back out the incoming side. I first vacumed it and then hosed it out. After a good run and what looks like clean water, I then let it dry in the sun and put it back on. Mine have worked really well for me so far.

Thanks for the response! No soap?

Any idea as to why they don't suggest a more thorough cleaning method, or are they just trying to get you to buy a replacement every few years?

Thanks for the response! No soap?

Any idea as to why they don't suggest a more thorough cleaning method, or are they just trying to get you to buy a replacement every few years?

I be honest that mine has almost 100K miles on it and I suspect they do not want a better cleaning as they want you to continue to buy them every so many years. Thinking about it I did use spray n wash 1 time on it and another time I used Downy as they both removed the dirt / grease that had gotten on it and after drying it was good as new.

Thanks for bringing this up as I have not checked mine in a while. Will do it tonight.

Peanut butter JELLLEY!!! Ccap what's up my homie brodie yodie lokie?

Hahaha hey man!

I really need to invest in a new laptop. mine actually just $h! the bed about a year ago and I haven't had one sense. I have access to computers at home when I need them but it still isn't the same as having my own. That's one reason I'm never on these forums over the weekends, mobile versions suck to me and not-mobile sites suck from phones. It's just a lose-lose.

Heck, at this point.. I don't even know what route I would take with a new computer. The 'new' Microsoft tablet/computers are a pretty whoopass design and my dad has one(I think his is an HP..or a Samsung..) and the idea of a full keyboard and then the monitor detaches as a tablet is just awesome to me. But For what I would want (which I know I wouldn't be using it to its full potential) would be more than I'd want to spend..because I wouldn't be using it to its full potential.

Two products that actually have 'good' assembly instructions: Anderson doors and Weber grilles. 

Wait, things come with instructions?  I thought all those pages were just a short multilingual story making fun of the consumer for buying the product and having to put it together.

Edited by SalesmanSean

Two products that actually have 'good' assembly instructions: Anderson doors and Weber grilles.

Define 'good'. They actually use words?

I really wish I was sitting at home playing more Marvel Heroes and watching Cowboy Bebop instead of at work today.  I was not ready yet for a new week to start.

Someone turned on to the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack this past week. Been listening and quite enjoying it. Might actually get me to watch the show finally.

---------------------------------------------------------------

No iTunes, the audiobook I'm ripping is not classified as 'easy listening'.

I really wish I was sitting at home playing more Marvel Heroes and watching Cowboy Bebop instead of at work today.  I was not ready yet for a new week to start.

Someone turned on to the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack this past week. Been listening and quite enjoying it. Might actually get me to watch the show finally.

---------------------------------------------------------------

No iTunes, the audiobook I'm ripping is not classified as 'easy listening'.

I love the opening theme.  I generally am not a big jazz fan, it often tends to be too free-form and chaotic, but that opener is just pure fun to listen to.

• Agree 1