TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

I realized this morning that the only reason I ever put on pants is to have a place to carry my smart phone.

I've seen prison movies. Without getting into details, you can still carry a smartphone without wearing pants.

• Upvote 2

Volts x amps = Watts

Amps x ohms = Volts

I'm not going to type out the rest.

K. What gauge wire should I use to run (3) 6V taillight & brake light bulbs on a 14' run? :)

Went to a college orientation (for my son, not me). During his presentation on campus security, the head of that department showed his cashed check for his fall 1970 semester tuition at the school : $775. You should've heard the unsettled groan that went up from the crowd.

Adjusted for inflation, that would equal $4,660 in 2014.

The actual semester tuition at this same school now is $16,950.

I have decided I would do absolutely nothing for a Klondike bar, they just aren't that great.

• Upvote 2

Went over to the Dragon Buffet in my 2015 Chevy Colorado gasoline-powered pickup truck.  Got a nice chunk of salmon, a pile of rice noodle with veggies, some sort of green salad with bits of rawr fish in it, a spoonful of wasabi, a small pile of pickled ginger, a watermelon wedge, two chunks of pineapple, two almond shortbread cookies, and a glassful of unsweetened tea wit lemon.

• Upvote 1

Volts x amps = Watts

Amps x ohms = Volts

I'm not going to type out the rest.

K. What gauge wire should I use to run (3) 6V taillight & brake light bulbs on a 14' run? :)

All depends on the amperage load. If you're going to use LED's then you could get by with smaller gauge wire. If you're going to use incandescent bulbs with, say, a resistance of three Ohms each would give the total resistance of 1 Ohm for a circuit wired in parallel. This would give you a 6 Amp load on the circuit, which means you could probably still get away with small ass wire. I'd go 18 AWG and not think twice about it, but you can go smaller. Fourteen feet of 18 AWG wont even give you a tenth of an Ohm of resistance in that run. 

Edited by Thed

You blink your eyes, on average, between 16 and 20 times per minute. This equates to around 16000 blinks per day.

Yet some things we can take DECADES to open our eyes to. 

Had the internet, cable tv,and home phone service out for 2 days.  Cox Cable gave me a service window of 10-12 this morning, they finally showed up at 1:30.   Was a problem w/ a connection in the alley. again.   I managed to get by using my iPhone as a hot spot to connect my laptop and tabby to.

I just realized today that I'm sort of a workaholic stuck in work mode all the time.... yet I just came from a vacation two days ago. Why do I not feel well rested?

^ They make 6V LEDs? This is for automotive use.

Why don't you just drive over here and help me re-wire my '40. :)

There are some out there, don't know where to look for them, though. 

If you're in NC or southern Virginia I'd consider the drive

It ain't camping until you see a man chasing a bear through the woods with an ax.

Jeez, I have not been camping since the summer of 2011...

I just realized today that I'm sort of a workaholic stuck in work mode all the time.... yet I just came from a vacation two days ago. Why do I not feel well rested?

Ugh that sucks! That's gotta be frustrating not being able to detach from the job on your time off.

I've found as an adult that I find less enjoyment in travelling to a destination than just having time off at home to enjoy my hobbies. I'm uncomfortable enough just spending hundreds frivolously to have "fun" on vacation, and then I have limited internet access, can't play music (piano/keyboard), and lose all the privacy and amenities of my sweet "man cave" at home in exchange for the constant forced shared space. I guess I'm weird in that way.

Ugh that sucks! That's gotta be frustrating not being able to detach from the job on your time off.

I've found as an adult that I find less enjoyment in travelling to a destination than just having time off at home to enjoy my hobbies. I'm uncomfortable enough just spending hundreds frivolously to have "fun" on vacation, and then I have limited internet access, can't play music (piano/keyboard), and lose all the privacy and amenities of my sweet "man cave" at home in exchange for the constant forced shared space. I guess I'm weird in that way.

Man, I feel the same exact way! No, you're not weird at all. I feel the same way about vacations..

I may find myself out of a job very soon, although sales has been good to me for many years, car sales has not been in this first year of doing this.

Man, I feel the same exact way! No, you're not weird at all. I feel the same way about vacations..

Thank you!! I felt like I was losing my mind while away last year. Sitting poolside or on the beach, my girlfriend was fully content reading or laying down from 10am to 3pm. Maybe 30 minutes swimming, maybe a break to throw a ball/frisbee or take a walk.

I was going stir crazy, and what else did I have to do? Just some sh*t I brought from home to fill the void of being away: car magazines and a PSP loaded with old playstation classics. So I have a beach backdrop just to enjoy the "diet" version of my favorite pastimes. Awesome... and I paid for that?

I'm the same way.   It makes it even bigger that I travel all the time for work so I'm never home.  Vacation for me would be a week in my own bed.

That said... if I ever get caught up at home, i'd like to go back to Boulder, CO again and spend a week hiking. 

• Upvote 1

I'm the same way.   It makes it even bigger that I travel all the time for work so I'm never home.  Vacation for me would be a week in my own bed.

That said... if I ever get caught up at home, i'd like to go back to Boulder, CO again and spend a week hiking. 

Going away for vacation always sounds good until you actually get there.  Then you find yourself in a hotel room that isn't as comfortable as home, away from the various things you're used to, paying a lot more for food because your well-stocked fridge isn't right there.  Then you actually go to some attraction or another where things get more expensive and you wind up blowing your budget on the souvenirs everyone just HAS to have.  Then again, if I'm doing something like that, it isn't for me, because my fun will be minimal.  I would do all that for my son, though, and no matter how much it sucked it would be worth it to see him have a wonderful time.  So, I get wanting to just stay at home and relax for vacation, it is my ideal option generally, but I also get the draw of a getaway vacation, at least if you have kids.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I feel that a way a lot. The joys of being freelance writer.

I'm trying to give myself a break. But its so hard since you have to do the work to get paid.

I've enjoyed a lot of long-haul 1-2 week vacations in the past, but 10-15 hours of flying on each end made them endurance events and not completely relaxing.  Most of the vacations I've taken in recent years have been long weekends to West Coast Indy Car or NASCAR races coupled with a few quiet days at a nice hotel on a beach or in wine country...where I would disconnect and catch up on sleep.  I love simple sleepcations---go to a local resort (esp. in off-season) and pretty much do nothing but sleep for the weekend and enjoy the restaurants.  

• Upvote 1

Going away for vacation always sounds good until you actually get there.  Then you find yourself in a hotel room that isn't as comfortable as home, away from the various things you're used to, paying a lot more for food because your well-stocked fridge isn't right there.  Then you actually go to some attraction or another where things get more expensive and you wind up blowing your budget on the souvenirs everyone just HAS to have.  Then again, if I'm doing something like that, it isn't for me, because my fun will be minimal.  I would do all that for my son, though, and no matter how much it sucked it would be worth it to see him have a wonderful time.  So, I get wanting to just stay at home and relax for vacation, it is my ideal option generally, but I also get the draw of a getaway vacation, at least if you have kids.

Oh I don't travel like that at all... I pretty much never buy any souvenirs.  I like to use AirBnB for that sort of travel so I eat at the location I'm staying a lot instead of eating out.  For me, it's all about getting out into nature. 

I've enjoyed a lot of long-haul 1-2 week vacations in the past, but 10-15 hours of flying on each end made them endurance events and not completely relaxing.  Most of the vacations I've taken in recent years have been long weekends to West Coast Indy Car or NASCAR races coupled with a few quiet days at a nice hotel on a beach or in wine country...where I would disconnect and catch up on sleep.  I love simple sleepcations---go to a local resort (esp. in off-season) and pretty much do nothing but sleep for the weekend and enjoy the restaurants.  

That sounds really nice.  There is a semi-local resort here that I've been thinking of doing that with if I ever catch some time to breath.  It would violate my cheapwad tendencies a bit, but I've stayed there once for business and I was smitten with the place.