El Kabong

Trim Levels, Pricing, Configurator For '16 Camaro Revealed!

Less than 27 grand for the 2.0 Turbo. Good.

37 grand for the SS1 sounds expensive at first. But the stuff that used to be part of the optional (and nearly always purchased) RS package has been rolled into the SS as standard equipment. Only the fours and sixes now allow for a proper RS trim.

And I can't lie: I'd like to see orange come back. I want another orange one.

Yeah, ouchy town for an SS now..

It kind of sounds like Ford's crappy packaging techniques where they force you to get all sorts of options in an expensive package in order to get(in this case) the V8.

To a point. But the main differences are that GM is happy to give you more (and most folks bellied up for the bling anyhow) whereas Ford refuses to on the V6.

And let's be honest: eight-speed automatics, direct-injected V8s, and Cadillac platforms probably bump the price some. But when your immediate competition offers none of those any price differences become theoretical.

Edited by El Kabong

To a point. But the main differences are that GM is happy to give you more (and most folks bellied up for the bling anyhow) whereas Ford refuses to on the V6.

And let's be honest: eight-speed automatics, direct-injected V8s, and Cadillac platforms probably bump the price some. But when your immediate competition offers none of those any price differences become theoretical.

No no no not that kind of packaging. I mean if you want a V8 you're stuck spending an extra 4100 over a mustang GT and getting extra features/tech/whatnot with no real choice of a stripped down Camaro SS.

You think agerage Joe wanting a muscle car knows or cares about Cadillac bones under that? A large majority of drivers could drive ANYTHING brand spankin new and say it rides better than anything they've ever driven. So why would Joe spend an extra $4100 on the Camaro? Both are 12 second cars.. Both can pull 0.9g+ or whatever, as if the average driver can push either of these cars to the limit). I just don't see $4100 better.. $1000..$2000..yes..$2500..that's a decent gap. but $4100. That's significant to a comparison.

I can assure you that anyone looking to get either of these cars in V8 form will be getting them loaded. That means a lot less boxes ticked on the Camaro order sheet than the Ford's, but I doubt the prices will wind up as different as reported, in the real world at least.

And while most folks won't outwardly brag about the Alpha platform and whatnot, the extra 20hp, lighter weight, and extra gear ratios in the auto will pay dividends. Put it his way: MT didnt always give the current Mustang the nod over the ZETA Camaro. I have no reason to doubt that the ALPHA version is just gonna roll.

Edited by El Kabong

You're saying everybody buys loaded cars? C'mon man. You know that isn't true.

I'm not talking about the abilities of the car itself.. I know it will be a very very good pony car.

My point is the price of entry for a V8 is outrageous now, for the Camaro. I thought the Mustang was expensive. Add $4100 before you can step into a Camaro.

These used to be cars that EverydayJoe could afford. Pushing 38k isn't that car anymore.

I'm looking forward to the V6 performance tests, because it will continue to change the perception of non-V8 performance. I'm thinking 5.2 sec 0-60 and 13.8 1/4 mile for the manual, and 5.0/13.6 for the 8-speed auto.

It might be sticker shock that the V8 starts at $37k, but consider the performance level. It'll basically be on par with a C6 coupe. The V6 makes 335 hp and will be faster than most people know what to do with, it does what V8s did 10 years ago.

• Upvote 1

I'm not talking about the abilities of the car itself.. I know it will be a very very good pony car.

My point is the price of entry for a V8 is outrageous now, for the Camaro. I thought the Mustang was expensive. Add $4100 before you can step into a Camaro.

These used to be cars that EverydayJoe could afford. Pushing 38k isn't that car anymore.

Why do you act like this is a big surprise? All cars are way too pricey these days. While it is a gamble on GM's part to price them like this, it appears that they are going to upsell it on the fact that it has more standard equipment than the Mustang. We will see if the gamble pays off.

Camaro 1LT $26,695.00
Camaro 2LT $30,795.00
Camaro 1SS $37,295.00
Camaro 2SS $42,295.00

LGX 3.6L V6, DI, VVT $1,495.00

Dual Mode Exhaust System $895.00

Magnetic Ride Control $1,695.00

8 Speed Automatic Transmission w/ Remote Start & Paddle Shift $1,495.00

RS Pkg (LT models only) $1,950.00

The Camaro I'd buy would be a 2LT V6 RS for $34k.

This goes back to what we were saying in a our thread though: are you a performance-oriented guy or are you a guy who must have a V8?

Because lemme tell you: when you can get a RWD sports coupe with 270-ish hp for 27 large, you are living in an age of miracles and wonders (Paul Simon REPRESENT!). That used to be an F-body Z-28. With a solid axle.

Yes, I'd love to see a Silverado-engined Alpha for low thirties. But it probably ain't gonna happen. And maybe it doesn't need to.

Why do you act like this is a big surprise? All cars are way too pricey these days. While it is a gamble on GM's part to price them like this, it appears that they are going to upsell it on the fact that it has more standard equipment than the Mustang. We will see if the gamble pays off.

Why am I surprised that the new Camaro with a V8 is $4100 more than a V8 mustang?

I pointed out that "I thought the Mustang was expensive".

That was my point in the standard equipment though. They're doing kindof like what Ford does in their packaging where if you want(in this case a V8) you are forced to get other things with it. Random, made up, example. If I wanted HID headlights on my mustang. The odds are very good that it will be in a package that also adds X Y Z and it will end up costing a couple/few grand. That is what this is like. I think it is crappy. You want a V8, well there isn't a stripped down V8 anymore for Camaro..

I'm looking forward to the V6 performance tests, because it will continue to change the perception of non-V8 performance. I'm thinking 5.2 sec 0-60 and 13.8 1/4 mile for the manual, and 5.0/13.6 for the 8-speed auto.

It might be sticker shock that the V8 starts at $37k, but consider the performance level. It'll basically be on par with a C6 coupe. The V6 makes 335 hp and will be faster than most people know what to do with, it does what V8s did 10 years ago.

I'm very intrigued in the V6 version actually. I still would never buy one but it intrigues me nontheless.  I wish the 2.3 EcoBoost was a little more powerful so play with this.

This goes back to what we were saying in a our thread though: are you a performance-oriented guy or are you a guy who must have a V8?

Because lemme tell you: when you can get a RWD sports coupe with 270-ish hp for 27 large, you are living in an age of miracles and wonders (Paul Simon REPRESENT!). That used to be an F-body Z-28. With a solid axle.

Yes, I'd love to see a Silverado-engined Alpha for low thirties. But it probably ain't gonna happen. And maybe it doesn't need to.

Or my first '04 Mustang GT(260/290)  .. :( lol

I do see what you mean.. but I still don't really agree with the pricing. I guess as a Mustang guy I really don't care. But as a human it is hard to see a logical reason to buy it over the mustang. I say logical meaning practicallity. It may be better in every way but it is THAT much better to warrant the price differnce. That is my point. a couple grand..OKAY, $4100..that's significant.

Why am I surprised that the new Camaro with a V8 is $4100 more than a V8 mustang?

That was my point in the standard equipment though. They're doing kindof like what Ford does in their packaging where if you want(in this case a V8) you are forced to get other things with it. Random, made up, example. If I wanted HID headlights on my mustang. The odds are very good that it will be in a package that also adds X Y Z and it will end up costing a couple/few grand. That is what this is like. I think it is crappy. You want a V8, well there isn't a stripped down V8 anymore for Camaro..

I'm very intrigued in the V6 version actually. I still would never buy one but it intrigues me nontheless.  I wish the 2.3 EcoBoost was a little more powerful so play with this.

Fair enough but I do think you are over dramatizing it a bit. The way all the makes package their cars has been questionable to me for a long time though. 

Ccap: in terms of utility, you're right. It probably ain't worth it. And maybe I'm showing my age a bit by saying things the way I do.

But I've had fast cars that were unrefined already. I've lived through all the jokes about Detroit building 'em cheap and nasty. And since '08, I've taken GM at their word when they say the restructuring was all about making more conpetitive product. For me, cars like the Camaro are living proof that GM was actually serious about that pledge. And I get that that might mean a bit more pain at the dealership.

But one day around mid-2017 I want to be able to pull up next to anything short of a Nissan GTR and know that if I do this right, I've got this guy. Whether the road is straight, or twisty, or bumpy or smooth.

And when the really hi-po Camaro bows, I fully expect to have that option.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Upvote 2

Fair enough but I do think you are over dramatizing it a bit. The way all the makes package their cars has been questionable to me for a long time though.

I'll definitely admit I have not looked at packaging for much other than vehicles I've been interested in. By if they're all similar to how Ford does it..I don't like that. I think that's one of my favorite things that MB and BMW do if you can basically "a la carte" everything. You can package too but it seems like waaaay less of a hassle to do it with them.

A la carte can be better but they can nickle and dime you to death if you're not careful. We're talking about Benz and BMW after all.

Yup...and looking at the 2.0T, it makes 275 horsepower, the same amount (but less than the 2.3 ecoboost from Ford)  the LT1 Camaro made in 1993...and more torque...

I was 20 years old in 1993 and I thought that was an un-Godly amount of power...

Yeah...Ive said it before, the 335 horse 3.6 liter V6 Camaro would be good enough for me...but if I had a choice...like El K mentioned...a Silverado 5.3 liter (327 cubic inches  for nostalgic purposes!!! ) 355 horse/383 lb-ft torque would be my dream...no need for more power than that...and V8...

But my wet dream would be a 6.2 liter, screamin' chicken laden, black and gold...never mind...

Edited by oldshurst442

I think the pricing is pretty good. As people want more and more performance, price goes up.  $40,000 for a V8 is pretty expected, anything with a V8 is pricey because they want to sell the cars on the plus side of the CAFE equation.  The old school Camaros that were $22,000 also had 200 hp and a junk interior.   I think the pricing on this Camaro is pretty good value, a 335 hp coupe for $30k, that is a good deal.   You could spend $30k on a 4-banger Malibu and the interior on the Mablibu isn't any nicer than the Camaro.

Yup...and looking at the 2.0T, it makes 275 horsepower, the same amount (but less than the 2.3 ecoboost from Ford)  the LT1 Camaro made in 1993...and more torque...

I was 20 years old in 1993 and I thought that was an un-Godly amount of power...

Yeah...Ive said it before, the 335 horse 3.6 liter V6 Camaro would be good enough for me...but if I had a choice...like El K mentioned...a Silverado 5.3 liter (327 cubic inches  for nostalgic purposes!!! ) 355 horse/383 lb-ft torque would be my dream...no need for more power than that...and V8...

But my wet dream would be a 6.2 liter, screamin' chicken laden, black and gold...never mind...

I've been saying for over a year that I wish GM would build a Camaro 327!! Man I'd be all over that. Perfectly usable power, V8 rumble, pretty good fuel economy, and yeah that sweet heritage nametag...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Anyone here ever buy a base SS? Hands? Anyone here know anyone who ever bought a base SS? Hands?? Just as I thought. GM just made a package that encompasses pretty much what the average buyer gets anyways and cut out the base model that you seldom see and never buy.

Besides for a couple thousand more than a 4 cylinder FWD Malibu you get a decent package with RWD, Corvette Engine and Magnetic Suspension.

Also get used to this as the V8 cars will be more and more limited and more and more expensive as time goes on. This is the only way companies will be able to sell them and limit their volumes as 2025 nears.

The hand writing is already on the wall as Ford is going to sell a 400K super car with a TT V6? Word came out this week the Hemi will vanish in 2019 to be replaced with Alfa Turbo V6 and 4 cylinders. GM may be the only one in the group with a V8 going forward in a few years and I bet they will charge for it.

Time to stop the whining and accept the fact that for once GM finally finished a Camaro that will be the best performing and best refined Camaro ever and possibly the best refined Chevy ever. You want a better car it will add to the price but in the end you will get not only a better car but a better value in the end.

We have yet to see all about this car yet as the track time was limited and only on the V6 so far. The embargo will be off soon and you will be surprised just what you get for that price.

GM did this with the Cruze where they added things to the standard package that most people got anyways. They also added a better interior than the others at the time it was released. Lutz had to fight the old GM culture on this that wanted to gut the car. Well the Cruze turn into a very successful car, it made a lot of money and really helped Chevys rep at a time the ignition deal could have provided a death blow.

The way I see this Chevy pretty much eliminated what is equal to the 2.5 ATS model. You know the one they sell just to make a cheap offering price in the ads but so very few ever buy. Most SS sold will be in the $40K range just as it already has been and it will carry feature the old car never had standard let alone even optional like diff coolers and magnetic suspension.

Most that will complain were never going to buy one anyways.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Personally I have never purchased a base model, with even my old 2011 LLT being a fully loaded RS package that in 2010, stickered about $4500 less than Chevy is gonna offer the SS for in 2016. I see absolutely no reason why they should price a 455 hp and 455 lb.-ft. of torque borderline super car, coming almost loaded to the teeth, for less than or even equal to the price that a Mustang with less HP, amenities, and refinement. 

I really think GM should allow the option of deleting a few things, but standing fast on the MSRP. The Camaro SS is not a car for people looking for a bargain. Its a sports coupe that is born from Cadillac and Corvette. No way in the world that should be value priced. Adding a delete option for a few things would not be a bad thing though. A delete of the summer tires, Brembo brakes, and coolers for the differential, oil, and transmission fluid would shave the difference in price down to about $2000 since to get the same amenities from the GT one has to buy the Performance package for $2500. Chevy is going straight to what the Mustang GT Premium is offering in price. That car is priced at $37,200. In the SS, it comes with different Brembo brakes, run-flats, new diff, transmission, and engine oil cooling system. Not to mention a health power and torque advantage over the Ford.

It seems like Chevy decided to price their cars for what they were worth. Cheap SOBs be damned. Buy the Ford, get beat at the track

BTW. Another factor in this may come from two things. GM still has to comply with CAFE, and limiting the number of SSs might be an issue with that, not to mention the fact that the Camaro is possibly more expensive to make now that it is coming to the U.S. for production at Lansing Grand River

• Upvote 1

2016 MODEL YEAR VEHICLE PRICE 

EFFECTIVE WITH START OF 2016 MODEL YEAR PRODUCTION 

Base Model Prices

¨ 1AG37 Camaro 1LT $25,700.00 + DFC $995.00 

¨ 1AH37 Camaro 2LT $29,800.00 + DFC $995.00 

¨ 1AJ37 Camaro 1SS $36,300.00 + DFC $995.00 

¨ 1AK37 Camaro 2SS $41,300.00 + DFC $995.00 

Option Packages

Option Code Description List 

¨ WRS RS Package $1,950.00 

¨ Y3W Technology Package $800.00 

¨ ZN2 2LT Convenience & Light Pack $2,800.00 

Additional Options

Option Code Description List 

Cooling Package 

¨ Y4Q Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package with WRS or RPO RTH (20" wheel) $485.00 

¨ Y4Q Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package without WRS or RPO RTH (20" wheel) $1,285.00 

Engine: 

¨ LGX 3.6L V6, DI, VVT $1,495.00 

Exhaust Systems: 

¨ NPP Dual Mode Exhaust System $895.00 

Heater: 

K05 Engine Block Heater $75.00 

Interior Trim 

¨ BRD Ceramic White Interior Accent Trim Package $500.00 

¨ BRJ Adrenaline Red Interior Accent Trim Package $500.00 

License Plate Bracket: 

VK3 Front License Plate Bracket $15.00 

Paint: 

G7D Bright Yellow $395.00 

¨ G7E Garnet Red Tintcoat $395.00 

¨ GB8 Mosaic Black Metallic $395.00

Radio and Navigation Equipment: 

¨ IO6 Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigation $495.00 

Stripe Packages: 

¨ BO3 White Pearl Rally Stripes $470.00 

¨ BO4 Black Metallic Rally Stripes $470.00 

¨ C2U Silver Rally Stripes $470.00

¨ C3O Black Rally Stripes $470.00

¨ DUU Black Center Stripe $470.00

¨ DUV Silver Center Stripe $470.00 

¨ DW7 White Pearl Center Stripe $470.00 

¨ DW8 Black Metallic Center Stripe $470.00 

Sun Roof: 

CF5 Power Sunroof $900.00

Suspension: 

¨ F55 Magnetic Ride Control $1,695.00

Transmission: 

¨ MX0 8 Speed Automatic Transmission w/ Remote Start (BTV) & Paddle Shift $1,495.00

Wheels: 

¨ 56R 20" 5-split Spoke Premium Gray Painted Machined Face Aluminum $200.00 

¨ 56V 20" Rear 5-Spoke Low Gloss Black Aluminum $200.00 

¨ 56W 20" 5-Spilt Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum $200.00 

¨ RTH 20" 5-Spoke Low Gloss Black Aluminum $800.00 

¨ RTJ 20" 5-spilt Spoke Bright Silver Painted Aluminum $100.00

dc6a6g.jpg

42vpk.jpg

Credit for Mustang info Mustang6G

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook