Cadillac CT6 Review Thread: Post Them ALL Here.

Awesome video, amazing the ribbed box'd frame around the wheels. It is an intersting way of building and exciting. I feel for OCNBLU as repair on these auto's will be a nightmare I think. Wonder if that egg crate brace member can be replaced. I under stand the need for crumple zones, but WOW talk about the repair work on the car.

Although the CT6 will be naturally positioned to challenge the Mercedes-Benz S-ClassBMW 7 Series, and Audi A8 club, we’re told it’s truly aiming to bridge the gap between traditional luxury midsize and full-size sedans. Research indicates there are consumers seeking a big car that effortlessly combines the interior space of a full-sizer with the on-road agility more becoming of a midsizer,

MT

a definitive quote if ever there was one.  and makes a bunch of sense. This will be thrown into comparisons with the aforementioned German 3.. I think that in terms of everything outside of serious extras.. it will shine among them. The 7series, for instance, is really nothing to write home about this generation. I look forward to that comparo.. where the only real gripe they should be able to come up with will be the non-availability of soft close doors.. in which even I am perplexed by to say the least.

Cadillac gave an est 5.3 seconds to 60 in the LGW (TT3.6L) but I am gonna go out on a limb as say that I bet U see times in the area of 4.7-4.9 when the mags get a hold of it for an instrumented test. 

interior looks damn nice, definitely on level with the Germans... sorry Smoke

kan2xh.jpg

Add two more glowing reviews here:

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/2016-cadillac-ct6-review/

http://jalopnik.com/the-cadillac-ct6-this-is-it-1694813397

Jalopnik in particular appeared stoked about it, calling it a break from copying the Germans while retaining the dynamics you would expect from them-the best of both worlds. "Resplendent American luxury" were their exact words.

And when you can build one online with the 3.6, AWD, reclining rear seats, and eight-speed automatic for 64 grand it's kinda hard to argue that.

Truly, a fantastic job by Cadillac.

Edited by El Kabong
  • Agree 1

^^ No doubt. From C&D I had to yank these tidbits. 

Well, when the CT6 was unveiled at the 2015 New York auto show, the design was criticized as somewhat bland. But auto-show turntables don’t tend to flatter cars that make their statement with proportions rather than glitzy adornment. The CT6 is best appreciated in the real world, preferably in motion, whether it be catching the reflections of downtown L.A. skyscrapers or charging along one of California’s challenging mountain roads
In some cars, driving modes are a gimmick but the CT6’s are legit: In the default Tour mode the CT6 is genteel and smooth, but Sport mode sets the powertrain into a considerably more excited state, with the transmission especially eager to play, holding gears and summoning throttle-blipped downshifts more readily than a number of so-called sports sedans we can think of.

C&D

• Agree 1

A minute gripe about it, and one that can be fixed with just a different color choice, which I would do anyway, buuuuuuut the light tan one in the Motor Trend review had a black center on the steering wheel that didn't blend well with me, any of the black that they used in the light tan interior. I know that's being picky but if that's the only real downside I noticed..then it's one heck of a good looking car. I'd just get a black interior anyway and not have to worry about that. :D

Cadillac, imo, nailed this one.

The price of the Platinum, along with all its amenities is priced dead on with the Lexus LS460 F AWD
$83,325 vs CT6 Platinum model starting at $83,465. These are most comparable too.. as the HP rating of the Lexus V8 are 386 hp/367 ft-lbs. versus the Cadillac TTV6 at 400HP/400 ft-lbs.
The CT6 took mandatory luxury features and space the Europeans and Lexus, then.. encroached and clobbered the ideals put forth by the upcoming Ford.. er.. Mercury.. er Lincoln Continental. The Price point the Continental will have to come in will have to be in the high $30Ks… the Germans all come in in the high $70ks. Their starting point is where CT6’s end point is. The CT7/CT8 picks up from where CT6 leaves off. This is like a one two punch of massive proportions because it redefines the ideas of luxury without even having to call it “niche.” Bottom line is that Cadillac  split the this  tier of Luxury Sedans.. the segment into two. 
  • Agree 1

tumblr_lwfzgtfiTp1r8ahdeo1_500.gif

Yes, there is a hidden message to this particular GIF I chose to state and salute my approval of the CT6...

Germany never could build a quality Whiskey! :roflmao:

I like how Casa broke down the marketing strategy for the CT6.

Its dead on.

And seeing how Cadillac positioned  the 1st and 2nd gen CTS, this strategy seems similar.

I think the CT6 will kill it and I think it will steal some sales away from the Germans...

Maybe the CT6 dashboard does not have the wow factor of the Germans,namely the Bimmer and the M-B...but to me...that kind of flash is like silicone breasts...nice to look at, nice to fondle, but you do tire of them quite fast.

A little movie clip that the CT6 made me think of...

And this scene too.

tumblr_lwfzgtfiTp1r8ahdeo1_500.gif

Yes, there is a hidden message to this particular GIF I chose to state and salute my approval of the CT6...

Germany never could build a quality Whiskey! :roflmao:

Im sure SMK will defend that statement by bringing in

H3frv7Su08E.jpg

The critical thing is that the auto journos are getting the message that no, this isn't a faux-German copycat of the S-Class or 7-Series or A8. Rather, what it is is an American luxury car without any excuses, whether in handling, or ride, or engineering efficiency, or styling, or room, or pricing. It is almost like an a la carte chassis: if you want an oversized 5-Series for handling, get the RWD and 260hp for 54 grand and 3700 pounds. If you want a car that will give Lexus nightmares belly up for a Platinum.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Cadillac, imo, nailed this one.

The price of the Platinum, along with all its amenities is priced dead on with the Lexus LS460 F AWD
$83,325 vs CT6 Platinum model starting at $83,465. These are most comparable too.. as the HP rating of the Lexus V8 are 386 hp/367 ft-lbs. versus the Cadillac TTV6 at 400HP/400 ft-lbs.
The CT6 took mandatory luxury features and space the Europeans and Lexus, then.. encroached and clobbered the ideals put forth by the upcoming Ford.. er.. Mercury.. er Lincoln Continental. The Price point the Continental will have to come in will have to be in the high $30Ks… the Germans all come in in the high $70ks. Their starting point is where CT6’s end point is. The CT7/CT8 picks up from where CT6 leaves off. This is like a one two punch of massive proportions because it redefines the ideas of luxury without even having to call it “niche.” Bottom line is that Cadillac  split the this  tier of Luxury Sedans.. the segment into two. 

So you believe the Continental should price drop significantly from the current MKS?

Without singling out any particular competition from anywhere... It would be exceedingly difficult to challenge a car head-on that, when priced at 64 grand has:

-a 3.6V6

-AWD

-an eight-speed automatic

-adjustable and massaging rear seats

-weighs in at just around 4,000 pounds.

Now, make said car RWD for sunbelt states and take away the BarcaLounger back and you still have the eight speed and even lower weight, despite "only" packing 260hp in his guise.

And at that point it only costs 54 grand.

This car is gonna make some folks think HARD.

Edited by El Kabong

Well this car is going to be a very good car. It has set the direction of Cadillac as being against the Germans but not trying to be one. 

I am sure this car will do well profit wise. 

But the one thing we need to take away here is this is still a compromised Cadillac as it was not done with the new management that has been freed up. So if they can do a car this well under the GM that was still holding back image where the new Cadillac will go now that they are better financed and more liberated to do as they feel. 

I see then going more out with better refined styling and even higher quality with their own engines. That is very exciting to me as they will really be more of their own brand and not just a tarted up Chevy like the last Fleetwood was. 

This car and the coming cars will show just how bad the last 40 years really were. 

We should see the TT V8 before long and that should really make things even more interesting. 

Edited by hyperv6

Awesome video, amazing the ribbed box'd frame around the wheels. It is an intersting way of building and exciting. I feel for OCNBLU as repair on these auto's will be a nightmare I think. Wonder if that egg crate brace member can be replaced. I under stand the need for crumple zones, but WOW talk about the repair work on the car.

So much anymore cars are totaled because of the cost involved. I do not think this will change much. 

I had a co worker with a large luxury car that was still derivable after the crash get totaled. The car was tweaked enough it was not worth fixing.  He was ok with that as he is getting a brand new one. 

So much anymore cars are totaled because of the cost involved. I do not think this will change much. 

I had a co worker with a large luxury car that was still derivable after the crash get totaled. The car was tweaked enough it was not worth fixing.  He was ok with that as he is getting a brand new one. 

This is true for all types of consumer objects. It has been true for the last 20 years. And with some objects, 30-40 years.

Cheaper to buy new to than to repair...

Is that a good thing though?

I aint an eco zealot, but one still has to wonder what in the world are we doing here?

It seems like they hit a lot of positive marks on ride, handling and agility.  I think it was Automobile's review that said how the interior of the CT6 is a let down because it isn't on par with the big Germans.  But it is a lot cheaper than the big Germans.  It falls in size and price against the Equus and K900, but it handles much better than those cars, and the interior easily seems on par or better than the Koreans in that price class.  So I think they have them beat at the discount full size sedan game.

I think though an E-class has technology and interior quality better than a CT6, the 5-series and A6 aren't slouches either.  I think Cadillac is going to try and steal people that want mid-size car performance in a full size car package.  But I am not sure there are so many "sport sedan" buyers that want a full size car.

I guess on one hand they are trying to carve out a niche, but I think it could be hard to steal sales off the establishment, they'll probably steal more sales off the XTS or CTS.

• Disagree 1

They need that V8, as it stands, the fastest CT6 is slower than the slowest S-class.  But I still don't really think the CT6 competes with the S-class because of the price gap.  But so much for the it weighs less, it will be faster theory.   Better comparison might be the E450 or AMG E43, whatever the mid-level E-class gets called.

The TT V6 at that weight will take on many of the V8 models and the TT V8 should be almost 100 HP to the better of the V6 TT. 

The thing is this is not a performance model or V model. It is a luxury car that also delivers performance and a quality interior and ride. It is about the complete package not just a small part of the segment. 

They should do very well with this and at the price it is is should even make a good profit even if it sells in modest volumes and should do even better as sales increase. Luxury cars are like printing money. The development cost comes back so much faster and profits arrive so much sooner than a value priced model. 

They need that V8, as it stands, the fastest CT6 is slower than the slowest S-class.  But I still don't really think the CT6 competes with the S-class because of the price gap.  But so much for the it weighs less, it will be faster theory.   Better comparison might be the E450 or AMG E43, whatever the mid-level E-class gets called.

So since you admit that it does not compete with the S Class, then why does it need a V8 now (I say "now" because a V8 is on the way, as you have been told many times here)? 

It seems like they hit a lot of positive marks on ride, handling and agility.  I think it was Automobile's review that said how the interior of the CT6 is a let down because it isn't on par with the big Germans.  But it is a lot cheaper than the big Germans.  It falls in size and price against the Equus and K900, but it handles much better than those cars, and the interior easily seems on par or better than the Koreans in that price class.  So I think they have them beat at the discount full size sedan game.

I think though an E-class has technology and interior quality better than a CT6, the 5-series and A6 aren't slouches either.  I think Cadillac is going to try and steal people that want mid-size car performance in a full size car package.  But I am not sure there are so many "sport sedan" buyers that want a full size car.

I guess on one hand they are trying to carve out a niche, but I think it could be hard to steal sales off the establishment, they'll probably steal more sales off the XTS or CTS.

The XTS is on the way out and it will no more steal sales from the CTS than the S Class does from the E Class.

• Agree 1

The Audi A8L V8 does 0-60 in 4 seconds and gets 29 mpg highway.  Car and Driver had the 2013 A8 at 3.9 seconds, and they added 15 hp last year.  It is a pretty quick car.  The CT6 needs that V8 option.

I agree that luxury cars are like printing money, that is why I was advocating for more Cadillac models in one of the other threads. Cadillac needs a convertible and the expanded crossover lineup in a hurry.  The profit gold mine for GM is in the Cadillac brand, not the others.

So since you admit that it does not compete with the S Class, then why does it need a V8 now (I say "now" because a V8 is on the way, as you have been told many times here)? 

The XTS is on the way out and it will no more steal sales from the CTS than the S Class does from the E Class.

CT6 needs a V8 because a lot of big luxury sedan buyers like a V8.  Chrysler 300C buyers like V8s, Genesis G90, K900 have V8s, the 6-series, CLS and A7 offer V8s.  I'd imagine a lot of buyers spending $70k might want the V8 option.   Even the Camaro and Mustang have V8s, because sports car enthusiasts like them.

CT6 and CTS are $10,000 apart on base price and like $6,000 apart V6 to V6 with all wheel drive.  E-class to S-class is a $45,000 jump.  Larger gap there.

CT6 needs a V8 because a lot of big luxury sedan buyers like a V8.  Chrysler 300C buyers like V8s, Genesis G90, K900 have V8s, the 6-series, CLS and A7 offer V8s.  I'd imagine a lot of buyers spending $70k might want the V8 option.   Even the Camaro and Mustang have V8s, because sports car enthusiasts like them.

CT6 and CTS are $10,000 apart on base price and like $6,000 apart V6 to V6 with all wheel drive.  E-class to S-class is a $45,000 jump.  Larger gap there.

Yet do to the eco system and the required MPG, we see your beloved MB S and E are now coming with 4 and 6 bangers first and then later on with a V8. So how is this any different than Cadillac. I would be surprised if we still have V8 and bigger engines in autos in 5 to 10 years. Electric motors with small engines, the Hybrid will be the norm in the future and eventually pure electric.

• Agree 1

That is because the S Class too high to begin with and that does not mean an only $10K gap is going to be a big deal. There is only a $13K gap between the C-Class and E-Class. How many sales are being robbed there?

And AGAIN, a V8 is coming. Just drop it already with the "it needs a V8" non sense when it is getting one.

And please stop comparing pony car buyers to luxury car buyers. That is just asinine.

You don't think the Corvette won't have a V8 in 5-10 years?    The V8 will survive in performance cars and top end luxury cars because enthusiasts want them.   If batteries get cheap and get more capacity, that is when they will get more into the main stream.  No doubt 4-cylinders will be common place even in the $30-50k cars and probably a lot of crossovers as well.  I think the Chevy Traverse could be 4 cylinder in 2017 for example.  But the V8 won't just die off.

And Mercedes offers 4-cyldiners since the competition uses them, and they do have to hit CAFE and the Euro regs and Chinese displacement tax.  Mercedes sill offers a V12 and has said they will continue to well into the future.  If they want to sell those V12s and V8s they do need to offset somewhere.  Plus a lot of C-class buyers and probably a fair number of E-class buyers are happy with 0-60 in 6.5 seconds.   But the bigger engines are always offered too.

Yet do to the eco system and the required MPG, we see your beloved MB S and E are now coming with 4 and 6 bangers first and then later on with a V8. So how is this any different than Cadillac. I would be surprised if we still have V8 and bigger engines in autos in 5 to 10 years. Electric motors with small engines, the Hybrid will be the norm in the future and eventually pure electric.

It is NO different but he has to have something to complain about since it is not Mercedes Benz we are talking about here.

The Audi A8L V8 does 0-60 in 4 seconds and gets 29 mpg highway.  Car and Driver had the 2013 A8 at 3.9 seconds, and they added 15 hp last year.  It is a pretty quick car.  The CT6 needs that V8 option.

I agree that luxury cars are like printing money, that is why I was advocating for more Cadillac models in one of the other threads. Cadillac needs a convertible and the expanded crossover lineup in a hurry.  The profit gold mine for GM is in the Cadillac brand, not the others.

Good lord man. Again, V8 on the way and lastly, that A8L starts at near $30K higher than the CT6 and obviously the CT6 will not compete with a long wheelbase A8. Having said that, it will suck for the A8 when it does come because a CT6 with a V8 is going to severely undercut that overdressed Volkswagen. 

Lastly, there are a ton of new models coming between now and 2020. You have been told this before as well so I don't know what you keep on beating a dead horse here. Good grief Charlie Brown.

Edited by surreal1272

Tesla Model S has handily proven that 'top end luxury buyers' don't put 'having a V8' as criteria for their purchases; what was that article showing how the Model S has outsold the S-class in the U.S.?
Frankly, I am fairly certain most top end buyers have neither much of an idea nor place much importance on cylinder count. It's not like a BMW 7-series owner leans over to new acquaintenances and brags "I've got eight cylinders, how many does your car have?" It's like a Range Rover owner taking his new SUV off-road; it just doesn't happen.

• Agree 4

That is because the S Class too high to begin with and that does not mean an only $10K gap is going to be a big deal. There is only a $13K gap between the C-Class and E-Class. How many sales are being robbed there?

And AGAIN, a V8 is coming. Just drop it already with the "it needs a V8" non sense when it is getting one.

And please stop comparing pony car buyers to luxury car buyers. That is just asinine.

S-class isn't priced too high, it is the #1 seller in it's segment for decades.

I am not comparing pony car buyer to luxury car buyer, but only saying both tend to be car enthusiasts.  Luxury buyers like V8s, Infiniti, Genesis, K900, Lexus GS, LS, BMW 5-series and up, Jaguars, Mercedes, Audi, etc.  They all have V8s, have had them for years.  Cadillac made a mistake when they cancelled the Northstar replacement 5-10 years ago.  Better late than never, but if Cadillac is serious, and I think they are actually, you need to bring the big guns.

I am not comparing pony car buyer to luxury car buyer, but only saying both tend to be car enthusiasts.  Luxury buyers like V8s, Infiniti, Genesis, K900, Lexus GS, LS, BMW 5-series and up, Jaguars, Mercedes, Audi, etc.  They all have V8s, have had them for years.  Cadillac made a mistake when they cancelled the Northstar replacement 5-10 years ago.  Better late than never, but if Cadillac is serious, and I think they are actually, you need to bring the big guns.

Yes it is. Sorry to break it to you. Just because snobby rich folks want it and buy it doesn't make it any less that fact. Rolex is the number one luxury watch seller in the world but they are also way overpriced. I only sold them for a decade or so.

I'm not going to even bother with the rest of your post. That dead horse needs a break and you won't learn your lesson anyway. :banghead:

Edited by surreal1272

Tesla Model S has handily proven that 'top end luxury buyers' don't put 'having a V8' as criteria for their purchases; what was that article showing how the Model S has outsold the S-class in the U.S.?

Frankly, I am fairly certain most top end buyers have neither much of an idea nor place much importance on cylinder count. It's not like a BMW 7-series owner leans over to new acquaintenances and brags "I've got eight cylinders, how many does your car have?" It's like a Range Rover owner taking his new SUV off-road; it just doesn't happen.

Again, spot on. He is trying to lump together two different types of buyers. A Pony car guy will point out the cylinder count but I have yet to see one luxury car buyer do the same. As a matter of fact, I am willing to bet that you could slap in a top shelf V6 into an S-Class and the majority of buyers wouldn't even notice.

Edited by surreal1272

I brought up the A8 because Hyper said the CT6 turbo V6 would outrun the German V8s.  It won't.  A 750i is 4.3 seconds 0-60 the A8 is 3.9 seconds. When you get into the upper echelon of cars, buyers want the ultimate in everything.  CT6 is not in that upper echelon so they don't need to offer it all, and I know the V8 is coming, I hope it comes soon.

When they get to CT8 though, they better have all it all.

Yes it is. Sorry to break it to you. Just because snobby rich folks want it and buy it doesn't make it any less that fact. Rolex is the number one luxury watch seller in the world but they are also way overpriced. I only sold them for a decade or so.

I'm not going to even bother with the rest of your post. That dead horse needs a break and you won't learn your lesson anyway. :banghead:

A $90k Tahoe isn't over priced?  Cadillac prices the Escalade that way because they can and people buy it.  If you have a brand image or high demand product you cash in on it.

I brought up the A8 because Hyper said the CT6 turbo V6 would outrun the German V8s.  It won't.  A 750i is 4.3 seconds 0-60 the A8 is 3.9 seconds. When you get into the upper echelon of cars, buyers want the ultimate in everything.  CT6 is not in that upper echelon so they don't need to offer it all, and I know the V8 is coming, I hope it comes soon.

When they get to CT8 though, they better have all it all.

And you do not know for a fact that a V8 CT6 won't beat them.

And if you "know" the V8 is on the way then why do you keep whining about it not having one? Because you are trolling, that's why.

Edited by surreal1272

A $90k Tahoe isn't over priced?  Cadillac prices the Escalade that way because they can and people buy it.  If you have a brand image or high demand product you cash in on it.

Never not once, did I say that anything else wasn't overpriced. You are grasping at straws while supporting my point. The Escalade (it is not a damn Tahoe when it has a different interior, different AND bigger engine and far more features) sells well while being overpriced for the same reasons the S-Class is overpriced. Thanks for proving that for me. :thumbsup:

re: the four cylinder.  projected 0-60 is 6.1 seconds.  That is plenty fast for a base Caddy, the 4 has more torque than the 6.  The four will occupy the showrooms in winter states and then they will be leased for cheap lease payments or go for 14 grand off sticker 18 months later......except in the non snow states, I think the 4 banger may do ok for those who don't want the weight and bulk of AWD.  Only 3700 pounds on a vehicle with this size wheelbase and track would make it a skate in slick weather, while it would be very entertaining in the dry.  I'd be surprised if they make 2,000 of these a year with the 4 cylinder.  I think its a nice option.

Since the v6 is only a couple grand more and comes with AWD it will do well and therefore I don't think Cadillac will need to discount these much.  Which is the whole goal.  Still will be light and athletic.  In fact, the reviews are praising the CT6 for its dual talents......great steering and handling, but also is a good cruiser.  Its like this car combines both on a new level.

The v8 isn't needed because the 3.0tt v6 goes like stink.  Sounds like it can go toe to toe with other engines in the lux segment.  Right from launch!  This engine will justify the large price jumps in the upper trim levels.

I like the positioning here.  S class and 7 series can be perceived as too heavy, but provide space and luxury.  Many buyers have turned to crossovers for the extra space.  This car could reinvigorate some interest in large sedans in general.....it won't give up interior space and comfort to crossovers, and the ride and handling experience will be what stands out.  You might start to get those first waves of people who are trading in their first crossovers to get back into luxury sedans.  Also with gas prices down and interest in large vehicles returning, that may be favorable to larger sedans segment.

Culture is moving towards steering away from big excess as luxury.  You get the benefits of size and room which is luxury, but the car is efficiently engineered to be lighter and its character is not ostentatious.  I think it may appeal to some younger demographics that don't like heft and styling excess, and appreciate engineering.  I also think some older demographics who downsized their rides over the last decade may be tempted to indulge in  larger ride again.  Still in those cases the CT6 won't appear large and ponderous.

I think the styling is good to very good but its not a knock out of the park.  It keeps moving in the good direction, and even though it has some similarities to the CTS, it doesn't have some of that cars styling awkwardness.

I think ultimately this car brings back some buyers to Cadillac showrooms because now Cadillac can say they are finally building a larger car again, which is lets face it what a lot of people expect out of cadillac and has been missing for some time now.  It should bring in some new interest as well.

Cadillac should be concerned about how the rest of the lineup functions around this car, because if they tweak some things, they can really benefit from this flagship draw (and that of the XT5).  I would develop the ATS to service conquest lessees, brand entrants,  and younger demographics and give up on trying to make it a huge cornerstone, and let it ride out somewhat anonymously until the replacement. Maybe give it a new interior and freshen the styling.  The size is a problem in the US, let the ATS sell well elsewhere.  I would reprice and repackage the CTS and similarly redo parts of the interior, and fix the styling problems.  The CTS would be the car i would be focusing on for promoting performance and driving.  The CTS should be the best selling Cadillac sedan but it needs fixes and help to do that.

I would keep the XTS to service fleets and rentals for awhile, and some folks like the package.  I don't think there's much harm in keeping it around for 3 more years.  Perfect  for the Cadillac fans who wait for the cars to age 5+ years and then buy them off old lady trade ins for dirt cheap.

Eventually we see the Cadillac flagship and until then the CT6 is fine enough to invigorate the brand and build off of for sedans.

The Continental, how can Ford think anything of it when it looks like it does with its pfffft interior and strange exterior, compared to this?

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 2

It is simple but too simple for some. 

A engine with near 500 HP will be competitive with most other heavier cars in performance. Give or take a few tenths it is in the meat of the performance segment. 

As for the V8 going away, well it i will become rare and very expensive at one point with the way regulations and emissions are going. To think any different would be foolish. The scary part is I have seen where people who are from some motorsports programs have come out now and said they can see a day in the not all too distant future the ICE engine could go away all together if  we continue the path we are on. That was eye opening. 

The truth is we will move mostly to smaller engines first and then to a small engine with a hybrid system that will become standard in nearly all cars at some point. Then as batteries and electronics improve we will see more care go full electric. This will not happen over night but as long as they continue the path we are on regulation wise this is were we are heading. 

I am sure there will still be some ICE for a good time yet but like the changes we have seen today where the V8 has gone from 90% of all cars built to the smallest percentage already, The loss of manual shifters to the point even a Ferrari is now found rarely with a gated shifter, Companies like Mclaren and Ford marketing sports car with a TT V6 from $400K to near a Million with no V12 let alone a V8. 

Who every though the TT V6 in a Ford Pick up would come and be in most models sold in the 150 and most people even paid more for it. 

The fact is we lived in an era where normal and car that were absolutes were the norm. Today the facing regulations have everyone searching and scrambling to find solutions to issues they have no solid answers to. It used to be if you did not like the pending regulation you could oust one from office to see chance. Today with a global market and pending global regulations that may soon go into effect we will not see a move back to where we are. 

As cars get lighter the engines will get smaller. As performance of hybrids and electrics improve we will see more move to these models. You fix the price and the charge times on an electric car with a good range many will flock to it as today most people are driving smaller cars that take low maintenance and if they can lower it more they will buy in. 

The death blow to the ICE car will be if you can travel the same range as a tank of gas, charge it in the time it takes to fill a tank of gas and pay no more for the car with a ICE engine. Folks we are near that today and it will not be too long till it will be to this point. It is not a matter of if but when. 

The death of the Hybrid will come when the EV hits the marks to meet where an ICE is now. This was once unthinkable but this is now in the path of possible now with more time and development. 

None of this will happen over night but as more investment happens and as governments globally continue to tighten the noose on ICE it may come sooner than most think or want to believe. Right now just watch those who are now talking EV and Hybrids and what models are making the changes. It will trickle down from there. Who would ever have considered Ferrari making  million dollar hybrid and people waiting in line to see if they are approved to buy one? Porsche making hybrids and now looking to offer a EV sedan? 20 years ago they would have put you in a straight jacket if you had ever said such things.

• Agree 1

The critical thing is that the auto journos are getting the message that no, this isn't a faux-German copycat of the S-Class or 7-Series or A8. Rather, what it is is an American luxury car without any excuses, whether in handling, or ride, or engineering efficiency, or styling, or room, or pricing. It is almost like an a la carte chassis: if you want an oversized 5-Series for handling, get the RWD and 260hp for 54 grand and 3700 pounds. If you want a car that will give Lexus nightmares belly up for a Platinum.

Read that in several of the reviews.. The car truly bucked the norm and went its own course.. as I predicted several times.. the CT6 is more hybridized than any of the status quo.. 

Weird as it sounds I think that the best cars to compare the CT6 to would be the ones that its sized against.. Call me crazy. Its exactly what the public will be doing. 

Audi A8 
Wheelbase (Short): 117.8 
Wheelbase (Long): 122.9 
Length (Short): 202.0 
Length (Long): 207.4 
Width: 76.7 
Height: 57.5

Jaguar XJ 
Wheelbase (Short): 119.4 
Wheelbase (Long): 124.3 
Length (Short): 201.7 
Length (Long): 206.6 
Width: 74.6 
Height: 57.0

Lexus LS 
Wheelbase (Short): 116.9 
Wheelbase (Long): 121.7 
Length (Short): 199.2 
Length (Long): 203.9 
Width: 73.8 
Height: 58.3

Its a 7series, A8, LS460, and Xj competitor.. and JDN sees the LWB S-Class as over them all... as do most of us due to price and the fact that the LWB S-Class is the leader of the field, like it or not, in the same way that the 3series is in it's. Established... even if there are other vehicles in those segments that are superior in one area or another. If the SWB S-Class was sold here, the CT6 would most likely be, then, along with the other aforementioned, a competitor to it. THAT'S THAT.

As to the 122.4 inch wheelbase CT6 versus the 124.6 inch S-class, needing a longer WB is a non-necessity at the moment as they are trying to establish themselves back into a segment that it essentially created, but left after those SOBs Smith and Zarella screwed the brand 25 years ago. The S-Class is 206.5 inches long and weighs 4800lbs. Seriously.. that means the CT6 will be as large as an S-Class by 98% and weigh 20% less. 

Either way.. whether JDN/GM.. me.. U.. any enthusiast thinks that this car is or isn't gonna be compared to the S-Class is redundant.. it will. I will absolutely love it if pre-conceived notions don't influence those comparos and the CT6 surprises and shuts up all.

COULD IT BE that Cadillac, Ellinghaus, and JDN are not perhaps simply trying a different approach to luxury? Does higher price necessarily mean that a luxo buyer is getting the best product for the segment. Again I reiterate that I don;t see the CT6 as the Flagship of Cadillac, but a Flagship worthy vehicle in wait for the real one to arrive.. and will do a spectacular job in the mean time

I think we are no longer going to see them take the road in terms of convention. Who says that the market can not have fringe sales? The Panamera and XJ prove a great deal of inclination of buyers rests in NOT buying the status quo. I don't think the CT6 is a tweener. I think the CT6 could be that disruption we've been hearing about. NO MOLD. 

Change is good and Change will rock the Conservative keep it status quo as the world embraces change along with the climate and catches everyone with their pants down.

What the CT6 has going for it is full size luxury at slightly above mid size prices. The only cars sitting there are Genesis and K900 which aren't really any threat to anyone, at least not yet. Cadillac is in a good position without having much direct competition so it just comes down to how many buyers want this sort of car.

As far as V8s go, GM is building about 600,000 V8s a year for Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe and Yukon. There is the CAFE hit, so if it is doom and gloom for the V8, what replaces those engines? Does the Silverado go with the 3.0 TT v6 to replace the 5.3 and 6.2 V8s?

They could and should put the 4.2 liter V8 in the CTS V-sport and ATS-V. The 15,000 4.2 V8s Cadillac would sell a year are nothing on the total CAFE number.

This interior is so perfectly elegant. I'd love to see this execution in an ATS.

14-2016-cadillac-ct6-fd-1.jpg

Agree that is a Sexy Interior Dash. Way better than what MB or BMW has done. Hope they put this in all the auto's. I would expect to see this in the ATS replacement CT3 as well as the CTS replacement CT5, Unless GM wants to go CT2 and CT4 for them.

they have outdone themselves here.  i think this is the best execution of the modern Caddy styling, longer, lower, wider, really gives it that wow factor.  Love that interior too, very excellent and the whole thing is still recognizable as nothing but a Cadillac. 

This interior is so perfectly elegant. I'd love to see this execution in an ATS.

14-2016-cadillac-ct6-fd-1.jpg

As much as I love/dig the design, flow, shapes, etc. I don't understand why in the hell they would place a black center piece on the steering wheel and a black chunk under the infotainment screen. Those color choices clash so hard to my eyes. It looks nicely layed out I just don't understand that color choice. Easy fix if to just order your CT6 with black on black. ;) .

• Agree 1