2016 Chicago Auto Show: Chevrolet Set to Debut Two "New" Vehicles: Comments

GM Spokesman, Fred Ligouri, has announced that Chevrolet will unveil a 1LE Performance Package for the Camaro. No information has been revealed about the Generation 6 Camaro's 1LE package, but it is expected to only enhance the SS versions already exemplary track capabilities.

In the previous Camaro (Generation 5) the 1LE package added about $3500 to the bottom line of the car. The package consisted of lightweight 20-inch rims found on the Camaro ZL1 , high performance Goodyear Eagle Supercar Gen 2 tires, a high performance suspension setup that includes larger monotube dampers, a larger anti-roll bar up front, a front strut tower brace, and heavy duty rear shock mounts. The exterior of the vehicle consisted of unique body upgrades front to rear and some minor interior upgrades.

Along with that, we should expect a mid-cycle enhancement for the Chevy Trax compact crossover. Although the Trax has only been on sale for about one year in the U.S., the Trax has been on sale in other global markets since 2013. Chevy is set to update the exterior and interior of the vehicle amidst strong sales. The Chevrolet moved 63,030 Trax in 2015, while its sister brand Buick, moved an additional 67,549 Encores.

We'll have more updates on the Camaro 1LE and updated Chevrolet Trax in the coming days.

You can follow this and all other 2016 Chicago Auto Show News here.

View full article

• Agree 1

My sister's been happy with her Trax, much happier than she was w/ the dying DTS.   I've driven it a few times, it's fine for what it is, a subcompact commuter tall wagon..seems to get good mileage.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

Awaiting 1LE info.

I got the feeling it's gonna be a beast. Should be a great car.

I agree\.  finally got a chance to drool over a couple 2SS at the dealership.  Dang, it is definitely a Camaro, but all the detailing is much better and I love the smaller, more svelte size. 

• Agree 1

I'd imagine an updated Traverse is due soon.  And Equinox is supposed to get smaller to Envision size, so that opens the door to mid-size Chevy Crossover so they'll have 4.  

I seem to recall a rumor that they may offer the Colorado-based TrailBlazer here, but there wouldn't be a need for it w/ a new midsize CUV (and it has awkward styling and is dated  now).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Hmm.. GMC has a press event on Friday, Feb 12th at 10:00 AM. I was thinking that the new Equinox would have been shown the day before and the Terrain shown the day after, but with Chevy's announcement of the Camaro 1LE and the Trax, I'm now not sure?  Maybe GMC will show a new concept vehicle instead?

The Trax is a terrible vehicle - I'd just get a Sonic and pocket the rest as fuel money.

The Encore however is wonderful, with the CX-3 as the best in segment in style and interior quality.

Do you realize how contradictory those statements are? The Trax is an Encore with different sheetmetal and interior trimmings. It's functionally the same vehicle. If the Trax is terrible, then the Encore is terrible in a pretty wrapper with a $3,000 higher price tag.

• Agree 1

Yes, the updates are measured, but they are all worthy.  New front end brings it in line with Cruze and Spark.  My biggest beef with the Trax was the bargain basement dash and whatnot.  New upper dash is hands-down nicer, and it looks like the door trims are new as well.  Only thing missing is the new-design 1.4t engine.

I want a Trax Premiere AWD in an interesting color.  Thanks for posting, reg!

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

It's a big mistake that they're using the old 1.4T. They HAVE a new engine for this, and we KNOW it fits in the old platform because it's already optional in the Encore. If GM is worried about brand separation from Buick, they should give the upcoming refreshed Encore the 1.5T standard (which would make a ton more sense anyway).

This car was high on my fiance's list of replacements for her old Cobalt, but she didn't like the idea of small fuel economy gains with a big drop in power. Maybe the refreshed Encore will suit her better, she doesn't like the way the current one looks with the plastic cladding and scrunched up Enclave face.

Indications are the 2017 Encore will come with the new 153-hp 1.4t as standard, after being offered only in the current model's Sport Touring trim.  I do have to say also that even the older design 1.4t feels good to drive (the turbo torque makes it feel relatively strong, at least in the Cruze), after having owned a six-speed manual Cruze for a short while after totaling out my Fiesta.

Maybe a Trax RS will have the reworked, 153-hp version of the engine.  I do agree that with no fuel economy penalty, the Trax and Encore should be offered with new 1.4t and 1.5t engines, respectively.  For some vehicles and some customers, more power should be considered a safety feature, not just for grins.

Edited by ocnblu

Indications are the 2017 Encore will come with the new 153-hp 1.4t as standard, after being offered only in the current model's Sport Touring trim.  I do have to say also that even the older design 1.4t feels good to drive (the turbo torque makes it feel relatively strong, at least in the Cruze), after having owned a six-speed manual Cruze for a short while after totaling out my Fiesta.

Maybe a Trax RS will have the reworked, 153-hp version of the engine.  I do agree that with no fuel economy penalty, the Trax and Encore should be offered with new 1.4t and 1.5t engines, respectively.  For some vehicles and some customers, more power should be considered a safety feature, not just for grins.

The old 1.4T is more or less adequate with an automatic transmission in the Cruze and Sonic. They've both tested more peppy when equipped with a manual transmission, but you can't get a stick shift Trax. So with the extra weight, automatic transmission, and blocky profile, you get prius-worthy acceleration. The near 30 lb-ft advantage of the new engine would go a LONG way in improving them from the seat of the pants.

• Agree 1