Jump to content
cp-the-nerd

Item: Chevy SS Sedan

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Yo.. Congrads on a magnificent automobile... I will say to U.. a person who loves modding.. now.. U can seriously MOD away. i70mfl.jpg

It'll be a while before I do anything to this car. I'll probably keep it N/A and try to push 400 whp. I want to keep the balance this thing already has as an excellent daily driver with very reasonable real-world fuel economy. I've maybe lost an MPG or two compared to my V6 and this is nowhere near broken in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

It'll be a while before I do anything to this car. I'll probably keep it N/A and try to push 400 whp. I want to keep the balance this thing already has as an excellent daily driver with very reasonable real-world fuel economy. I've maybe lost an MPG or two compared to my V6 and this is nowhere near broken in.

Sounds good.. and lets be honest... at :

2015 Chevrolet SS Manual (C&D)
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.7 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 18.3 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 31.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.3 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 9.5 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 9.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec @ 111 mph
Top speed (governor limited, C/D est): 160 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.97 g
Curb weight: 3970 lb
C/D observed fuel economy: 15 mpg 

I think that compared to most DD.. U are miles ahead. What will give U serious chubs is that with a CAI and an exhaust swap.. U are most likely gonna add a min of 35HP bringing that 415 to 450. Do a $400 tune.. and grab another 25

I won't rag on U for your novice Manual skills..:D but I will find U and kick that ass if U eff up that sweet shifting clutch^_^

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"No more anxiety, just ass kicking. This car is incredible."

Would almost make sleeping on the couch for a Month after his wife found out how much he spent worthwhile....

Better than anything I will ever own or drive, fantastic choice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on the awesome car! Hope it serves you well  for many years.  I think it is an instant classic. I think very few people realize what car that is, so you will be able to surprise quite a few knuckleheads.

Going from a regular FWD sedan to a high power RWD performance car can be tricky, so take it slow and easy, especially in bad weather,

I would suggest you to go to a few local autocross events where you can explore the handling limits of the car in a safe environment at relatively slow speeds without danger of wrecking the car.  It is a lot of fun and very educational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ykX said:

Congratulations on the awesome car! Hope it serves you well  for many years.  I think it is an instant classic. I think very few people realize what car that is, so you will be able to surprise quite a few knuckleheads.

Going from a regular FWD sedan to a high power RWD performance car can be tricky, so take it slow and easy, especially in bad weather,

I would suggest you to go to a few local autocross events where you can explore the handling limits of the car in a safe environment at relatively slow speeds without danger of wrecking the car.  It is a lot of fun and very educational.

Agree with the autocross thing...lots of fun.

We need CP to buy a Pontiac G8 GXP as a garage mate for this car I think...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-pontiac-g8-gxp-short-take-road-test

Same era as the departed Malibu, and a nice book end for the SS...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ykX said:

Congratulations on the awesome car! Hope it serves you well  for many years.  I think it is an instant classic. I think very few people realize what car that is, so you will be able to surprise quite a few knuckleheads.

Going from a regular FWD sedan to a high power RWD performance car can be tricky, so take it slow and easy, especially in bad weather,

I would suggest you to go to a few local autocross events where you can explore the handling limits of the car in a safe environment at relatively slow speeds without danger of wrecking the car.  It is a lot of fun and very educational.


To be fair, the Malibu made about as much power as any reasonable person can handle in FWD, but I know what you're saying. Very different driving dynamics and weight distribution.

It might sound ridiculous, but my Gran Turismo set up with my Logitech G20 racing wheel (complete with clutch and stick) taught me a LOT about driving manual and high power RWD. From the very first day, I didn't drive the SS anything like the Malibu in the rain. I instinctively brake early and stay off the skinny pedal through turns, and I'm very conscious of keeping the rear end in check.

I appreciate the autocross suggestion, but I don't have much interest in ripping through tires/brakes and beating on the car any time soon. It's been non-stop crappy weather since I got the car, but when the sun comes out I'll be taking some of my favorite local drives to rack up the break-in miles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I think that compared to most DD.. U are miles ahead. What will give U serious chubs is that with a CAI and an exhaust swap.. U are most likely gonna add a min of 35HP bringing that 415 to 450. Do a $400 tune.. and grab another 25

I won't rag on U for your novice Manual skills..:D but I will find U and kick that ass if U eff up that sweet shifting clutch^_^

I'm not touching this exhaust. I know there are aftermarket options that retain dual-mode functionality, but it's perfect as is. Sport/performance mode is one of the best factory exhaust notes I've ever heard, and in tour mode the car purrs subtly for road trips without any drone.

It's probably making more than 415 hp to begin with because it was never re-certified with dual mode exhaust.

When I mod the car, I'll be looking into intake (possibly over-the-radiator ram-air style), ported throttle-body and intake manifold, and a professional dyno tune. That should put me well into the 12s in the 1/4 mile and I'll be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I'm not touching this exhaust. I know there are aftermarket options that retain dual-mode functionality, but it's perfect as is. Sport/performance mode is one of the best factory exhaust notes I've ever heard, and in tour mode the car purrs subtly for road trips without any drone.

It's probably making more than 415 hp to begin with because it was never re-certified with dual mode exhaust.

When I mod the car, I'll be looking into intake (possibly over-the-radiator ram-air style), ported throttle-body and intake manifold, and a professional dyno tune. That should put me well into the 12s in the 1/4 mile and I'll be happy.

Agree on exhaust...GM nailed it to begin with...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I'm not touching this exhaust. I know there are aftermarket options that retain dual-mode functionality, but it's perfect as is. Sport/performance mode is one of the best factory exhaust notes I've ever heard, and in tour mode the car purrs subtly for road trips without any drone.

It's probably making more than 415 hp to begin with because it was never re-certified with dual mode exhaust.

When I mod the car, I'll be looking into intake (possibly over-the-radiator ram-air style), ported throttle-body and intake manifold, and a professional dyno tune. That should put me well into the 12s in the 1/4 mile and I'll be happy.

I would say the NPP adds about 5-7HP. As to changing it.. COOL.. I love it on both the V and Vette. $1400 stays in your pocket with no risk of that disgusting DRONE that sometimes accompanies Borla, Corsa, and such.. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Very sharp ride CP. One of the most underrated cars ever made. Congrats.

Agree on the under rated part...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like these cars, subtle and kind of blend in..they are definitely enthusiast products that fly under the radar.   There is a blue they had i like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I really like these cars, subtle and kind of blend in..they are definitely enthusiast products that fly under the radar.   There is a blue they had i like. 

The laser blue is probably the best looking color to show off the subtly muscular design, but you sacrifice a lot of stealth with it. I felt nightfall gray was the ideal compromise, the car wears it like a tailored suit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cp-the-nerd said:

The laser blue is probably the best looking color to show off the subtly muscular design, but you sacrifice a lot of stealth with it. I felt nightfall gray was the ideal compromise, the car wears it like a tailored suit.

Agreed, although I really like it in red also.

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I really like these cars, subtle and kind of blend in..they are definitely enthusiast products that fly under the radar.   There is a blue they had i like. 

I have seen it in that blue and woudl agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great choice, man!! Easily the most overlooked and underrated enthusiast car on the market. Those in the know.....know. It delivers all the things you look for in a sport sedan in spades. It's basically the M5 that BMW doesn't build anymore. Congrats, and I am genuinely jealous!! And major props for getting the manual!!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2017 at 0:54 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

Great choice, man!! Easily the most overlooked and underrated enthusiast car on the market. Those in the know.....know. It delivers all the things you look for in a sport sedan in spades. It's basically the M5 that BMW doesn't build anymore. Congrats, and I am genuinely jealous!! And major props for getting the manual!!

It's funny, I was only a lukewarm fan in 2014 when GM brought these stateside, but every year they tweaked and added standard content: magnetic ride, stick shift, etc.

When they reworked the front fascia for 2016, I suddenly realized the SS was at the top of my favorite potential cars list, and I've just been flat out lusting after it for the past 6 months because they introduced Nightfall Gray for 2017 (one of my favorite colors).

The 6-speed manual was a requirement no matter what car I bought. I was sick of driving auto, and that's despite having the Malibu V6/6A dialed in to perfection with HPTuners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

It's funny, I was only a lukewarm fan in 2014 when GM brought these stateside, but every year they tweaked and added standard content: magnetic ride, stick shift, etc.

When they reworked the front fascia for 2016, I suddenly realized the SS was at the top of my favorite potential cars list, and I've just been flat out lusting after it for the past 6 months because they introduced Nightfall Gray for 2017 (one of my favorite colors).

The 6-speed manual was a requirement no matter what car I bought. I was sick of driving auto, and that's despite having the Malibu V6/6A dialed in to perfection with HPTuners.

Variety is the spice of life...easier to change cars than change wives.  And after being with mine for 32 years, married for almost 29, I have no desire to trade my wife in.

That color grey in that car is a fantastic choice...Gm really got the interior right on that ride also IMHO.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Variety is the spice of life...easier to change cars than change wives.  And after being with mine for 32 years, married for almost 29, I have no desire to trade my wife in.

That color grey in that car is a fantastic choice...Gm really got the interior right on that ride also IMHO.

 

 

My only criticism of the interior is that GM didn't offer this color combination from Australia. I'm a sucker for high contrast interiors.

3b9f84a7764bfbec61db4e179b27e1cc.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×