GM News: Q3 2018 - GM Posts $2.5 Billion Profit

GM reported an income of $2.5 Billion for the third quarter of 2018 today with strong showings in North America, China, and GM Financial.  Automotive operating cash flow was up by $1.3 billion to $2.5 billion. Overall earnings per share diluted was $1.75.

In North America, margin is up to 10.2% driven mostly by sales of all-new full-size trucks and continued good sales of crossovers, China reported equity income of $0.5 billion, while GM Financial reported revenues of $0.5 billion. 

During the period, GM delivered nearly 700,000 vehicles in the US with average transaction prices of $36,000.  In China, sales were up 10% year to date to nearly 836,000 vehicles. In China, Cadillac continues to do well, up 4% year over year and up 20% year to date.  Bolt EV production is being increased by 20% to meet growing demand.

Source:  General-Motors-Q3-2018-Earnings-Press-Release.pdf

View full article

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

How big of a back seat do those EV's have? 

Asking for a friend. 

Are you talking about the BOLT? If so, I can tell you it has plenty of head, shoulder, hip and leg room in the back seat even when I set it for me sitting in front of my self.

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

LOL Your head is hunched forward and that door cannot close with your leg NEXT TO the driver's seat. You have no clue how happy I am to see you not comfortably fit in the back of the Bolt after all you preach about it. 

@ocnblu 

That is funny.  The Bolt is a small car, smaller than the Sonic even, it is tiny.  Also why I don't think it is worth the price.  Now when they get a bigger EV, like Cruze or Equinox size then it is a different story because and EV the size of a Cruze on the outside will have interior space like a Malibu.

2 hours ago, William Maley said:

Should be noted that GM is offering voluntary buyouts to about 18,000 salaried employees "who have 12 years or more experience." According to Automotive News, this is a ""proactive" measure" to address the expectation of slowdown in North America and China. - 

Making money and downsizing the workforce.  The American way in action.

36 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

That is funny.  The Bolt is a small car, smaller than the Sonic even, it is tiny.  Also why I don't think it is worth the price.  Now when they get a bigger EV, like Cruze or Equinox size then it is a different story because and EV the size of a Cruze on the outside will have interior space like a Malibu.

Making money and downsizing the workforce.  The American way in action.

The Volt is the Cruze.. so for almost 60 miles... the option is there

• Agree 1

Doesn't it alarm anyone else that GM is making BIG profits selling vehicles that people WANT to spend their money on (trucks and SUV's) so they can put R&D money into building (pathetic, electrified COMPLIANCE) vehicles that people have demonstrated time and time again that they DO NOT want?  HOW is this good for the corporation's future once the desirable stuff is priced (or legislated) out of reach of the customers they have today?  They will have NO customers!  Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Are you talking about the BOLT? If so, I can tell you it has plenty of head, shoulder, hip and leg room in the back seat even when I set it for me sitting in front of my self.

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

You're such a goof OMG, you crack me up!  Look at you crammed in the back of that Bolt!

18 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Doesn't it alarm anyone else that GM is making BIG profits selling vehicles that people WANT to spend their money on (trucks and SUV's) so they can put R&D money into building (pathetic, electrified COMPLIANCE) vehicles that people have demonstrated time and time again that they DO NOT want?  HOW is this good for the corporation's future once the desirable stuff is priced (or legislated) out of reach of the customers they have today?  They will have NO customers!  Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

You're such a goof OMG, you crack me up!  Look at you crammed in the back of that Bolt!

Your alarm is unwarranted, especially given that Tesla is making profits now.  Forget Faraday, they are done.  GM simply does not want to caught off guard like they were with Toyota in the 70s and Lexus starting in 1990.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ccap41 said:

LOL Your head is hunched forward and that door cannot close with your leg NEXT TO the driver's seat. You have no clue how happy I am to see you not comfortably fit in the back of the Bolt after all you preach about it. 

@ocnblu 

Actually the door does close just fine and I am not crunched up or sardine tight. The interior is bigger than you realize.

59 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Your alarm is unwarranted, especially given that Tesla is making profits now.  Forget Faraday, they are done.  GM simply does not want to caught off guard like they were with Toyota in the 70s and Lexus starting in 1990.

Caught off guard on what, exactly?  Government mandates can only go so far.  Forcing the public at large to contribute, through tax breaks, to the failed attempt to get people to change their minds on electrics can (and has gone) only so far.  There simply is not enough interest in the concept to keep it going.  When are these governments going to listen to the people they supposedly represent?

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

You seem to be ignoring just like Detroit did in the 70's to Asian auto building that China is now setting the standard and with China and Europe having followed that Hybrids / EV is the future, build at your own peril or death. GM knows where their future is and that is in China not the US. We get left overs and as has been stated, sales of BOLT are taking off around the world. Selling more than they can produce so that they are adding a shift and exporting the Bolt to markets that want to buy the auto. The US is now a follower of the world due to poor leadership and your wanting GM to die rather than innovate and provide what the world markets are dictating.

Follow the Money  Biff, otherwise you will be left far behind!

31 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Caught off guard on what, exactly?  Government mandates can only go so far.  Forcing the public at large to contribute, through tax breaks, to the failed attempt to get people to change their minds on electrics can (and has gone) only so far.  There simply is not enough interest in the concept to keep it going.  When are these governments going to listen to the people they supposedly represent?

Unlike the current idiots that suck up to the oil companies here in the US still Ignoring the people and giving out Billions in so called R&D tax dollars to these same billion dollar profit oil companies that should not be getting our tax dollars and should go to paying off the debt, stabilizing our SS / Medicaid benefits?

I think electrics will never really be competitive with gas cars on saving purchase price. The problem is that leases are the only reason electric  cars make sense. no one is willing to plunk down money on unproven technology unless it’s someone with big money to buy a Tesla.

my version of “unproven” here = rapid obsolescence.

in just 3-4 years the average range of any electric of car for sale has doubled or even tripled...good and bad. Charge times are also being reduced

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

Unlike the current idiots that suck up to the oil companies here in the US still Ignoring the people

Ohhh... so you mean people who drive Suburbans, Escalades, and V8 Trailblazers?  You have no leg to stand on.  You prefer to talk the talk while failing to walk the walk.

Again, a government mandate does not make a desirable automobile.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, dfelt said:

Actually the door does close just fine and I am not crunched up or sardine tight. The interior is bigger than you realize.

That's what you SAY but that's sure not what it LOOKS like. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Ohhh... so you mean people who drive Suburbans, Escalades, and V8 Trailblazers?  You have no leg to stand on.  You prefer to talk the talk while failing to walk the walk.

100% spot on. 

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

And as I have stated as have others, I have a spouse to satisfy and while I would have been happy to buy a Bolt, as more options come on the market, I will end up buying as to why I do not have a car payment or am buying any ICE auto. I am waiting for more EV options.

32 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

That's what you SAY but that's sure not what it LOOKS like. 

100% spot on. 

Might look tight from that photo, but until your actually sitting inside, it is amazing how much room there is.

100% disagree since a single person he has no one to please other than himself. I have a spouse to keep happy as to why I have not bought anything new since 2008. 10 years and waiting for more EV options.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Your spouse drives all of those vehicles regularly? 

Yes, she drives the SS the most, but will take the Escalade, Suburban or Durango which ever is easiest to get out. They all drive very easily like a car.

• Haha 1

@dfelt Everybody has their own life circumstances, nobody is judging that.  However, to be fair you have probably the most gas guzzling, most inefficient fleet of cars among the members here, yet you preach the most about saving gas and going electric.  Kind of hypocritical, don't you think so? ;) 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ykX said:

@dfelt Everybody has their own life circumstances, nobody is judging that.  However, to be fair you have probably the most gas guzzling, most inefficient fleet of cars among the members here, yet you preach the most about saving gas and going electric.  Kind of hypocritical, don't you think so? ;) 

Nope, not at all. My house is Energy Star 3.0, Windows are triple pane argon gas. Insulation is R30 through out and all my lights are on sensors running daylight equal 6500K LED bulbs. From Hydro / Solar power supply to the house and Natural gas for heating, my house is very efficient. All downspouts catch the rain water to be used in the garden or watering the yard. Composting of all material so that I put out usually less than a 13 gallon kitchen bag of garbage. Like the rest of the state, we have mandatory recycle / composting for all citizens. As such, I have 2 - 128 gallon compost / yard waste bins, 1 - 128 gallon recycle bin and a 16 gallon the smallest they have garbage can. Washington state along with Oregon and California requires their citizens to wash out all recyclable materials before putting them in the can. You get find for dirty recyclables. Composting allows us to have an awesome supply of Black Gold soil for the farms and for personal use in gardens, flower beds, etc.

Even during below freezing my combined electrical / natural gas bill is barely $100 every two months.

I have included the latest Energy Star 3.2 spec for your review if interested.

or wa program requirements 3.2 v3 2018-05-16_clean.pdf

My 1994 Suburban is parked as I am working to convert it to AWD Electric. Battery pack will be between the wheels for best center of gravity. The engine bay will become a Frunk, bigger than anything Tesla has built.

Since buying my house in 1999, I have done everything I can to minimize my carbon footprint. Auto's is the last area to be done and yes at 6'6" tall 300lbs I am not a small person, my wife is Korean at 5'8" tall and both my daughter and son are the same height.

We camp and enjoy the great outdoors as well as help family and friends with projects so SUV's and trucks are the most common use auto here. If Cadillac still made their Hybrid SUV I would own one. Probably own two if they also had the Hybrid in the ESV format.

Due to personal lifestyle, I usually drive 6 to 9 people up the mountain every weekend during the winter for Ski / Snowboarding. Up during the summer for Mountain biking and the rest of the year group hiking and exploring. 

You can see my life style by following me here:

https://www.instagram.com/_g_d_f_/

I agree with everyone that my auto's I drive are NOT the most fuel efficient. As an engineer, I know we can make them fuel efficient and way better. The auto companies just need to build them and the customers will come.

If you have test drove the BOLT, Tesla, you will know just how much fun the EVs are and can be and drag racing EV's like the White Zombie or the Zombie 222 have proven they can smack down ICE.

Like all technology, time, engineering effort and drive to a better way of doing things is what it is all about.

The moment my wife says yes to an EV that fits the family, I will buy one. Till then, I know the beneficial gain to society, the planet and individual people that EV's will bring and I will support them and talk about them. Check out the 1964 Lincoln with Suicide doors EV they are building. Sexy as all get out at Bloodshed Motors.

White Zombie -http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php 

Zombie 222 - 

http://www.bloodshedmotors.com 

@dfelt This is all very cool, what you did with the house, I am currently trying to make my house as efficient as possible as well to minimize heating and cooling bills. 

However, this is not a home improvement website.  Your cars are still are big gas guzzlers regardless of who uses them and how they are used.  So until you actually show pictures of the converted electric Suburban or Bolt/Tesla on your driveway it is still hypocritical to criticize others while driving an Escalade. 

And you got no argument from me personally regarding the electric cars, they are the future, just not the present, not yet.

Edited by ykX
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ykX said:

@dfelt This is all very cool, what you did with the house, I am currently trying to make my house as efficient as possible as well to minimize heating and cooling bills. 

However, this is not a home improvement website.  Your cars are still are big gas guzzlers regardless of who uses them and how they are used.  So until you actually show pictures of the converted electric Suburban or Bolt/Tesla on your driveway it is still hypocritical to criticize others while driving an Escalade. 

And you got no argument from me personally regarding the electric cars, they are the future, just not the present, not yet.

😕 Guess we have different definitions of hypocritical to criticize. I have not criticized anyone's choice of buying an ICE auto. 

I have vocally supported the benefits of EV's and will continue to do so. 

I have never that I can recall attacked anyone here about buying, owning an ICE auto. I find all auto's awesome, but do strongly feel the need for the planet, future generations and the health of my fellow world citizens to get to cleaner air while still supporting the passion of driving enjoyment.

Future is coming faster than I think some realize. I truly believe the flip to EV's will happen faster than those on this site believe.

No but you'll criticize somebody for their "dated" mindset if they aren't on board with EVs. 

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

but do strongly feel the need for the planet, future generations and the health of my fellow world citizens to get to cleaner air while still supporting the passion of driving enjoyment.

And this is what makes it ironic. 

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I truly believe the flip to EV's will happen faster than those on this site believe.

Well, the biggest supporter doesn't have one yet so I'm not sure why you believe that. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

No but you'll criticize somebody for their "dated" mindset if they aren't on board with EVs. 

And this is what makes it ironic. 

Well, the biggest supporter doesn't have one yet so I'm not sure why you believe that. 

Simple, Choice. Right now There is Tesla, Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf and Hyundai Ioniq.

None pass the spouse test, If I was single, I would have the Bolt for my daily driver to the park n ride 1.8 miles from my house. Yet when your married, life take another persons input into consideration and as anyone who is married or has been married can appreciate, Happy wife (Spouse, Partner, etc.) Happy Life. 

I get to do much in my life, why would I want to add the stress of a made wife to my life when holding out for more choice options is around the corner.

As I have stated in other threads, I very well could end up having my first non american EV once the Jag iPace or MB EQC hit the lots so I can test drive it, check it for my test on room inside.

Never know when things can change, but I do expect things to break loose as more auto makers deliver on bringing EVs to the marketplace. :D

2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Why does she care what you drive as long as you have other larger vehicles to drive when she's with you? 

LOL, you must be single and never married? 🤷‍♂️

Your spouse does play a part in all large dollar purchases no matter what anyone says.

I have to say this is a sweet looking GMC.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

No, I know what it's like but you have a 3rd vehicle. Tell her she can get some jewelry with the gas savings and also get rid of the eye sore in the garage/driveway/yard. 

What eye sore? They all look beautiful. :D

Car choices in families can be interesting...many couples I know each buy their own cars...often very different products from different manufacturers..and they never drive each other's vehicle unless it's in the shop.    My folks were old school, my Dad would buy cars for my Mom--usually Ford or Mercury personal luxury coupes, and a big sedan (Mercury or Lincoln) and a fun car for himself.  My sister with each of her 3 husbands always bought her own cars.  It was funny, with husband #2 they had the same color, make and model--both drove gray '85 Nissan 300ZXes when they met.  

• Like 1

In my family I drive the car I want (but of course needs to be practical enough for our family, that's why it is a sedan) and my wife drives the car she likes.   Her car is usually does the family car duty most of the time but it is also something my wife enjoys driving.   My car has manual transmission so she can't even drive it even if she wanted.  Sometimes, it creates an inconvenience but I was not ready to sacrifice my driving enjoyment for some sole-less appliance.   However, after I am done with my current car the plan is to get cheap practical daily and a weekend fun car.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2018 at 4:35 PM, smk4565 said:

But the Volt doesn’t have the interior or trunk room of a Tesla Model 3.

Interesting.. research shows the space internal isn't that far off

Interior               Volt         Model 3
Maximum Seating 5 seats 5 seats  
Front Legroom 42.1 in 42.7 in  
Back Legroom 34.7 in 35.2 in

35 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Interesting.. research shows the space internal isn't that far off

Interior               Volt         Model 3
Maximum Seating 5 seats 5 seats  
Front Legroom 42.1 in 42.7 in  
Back Legroom 34.7 in 35.2 in

The Model S has virtually the same legroom numbers as the Model 3....F 42.7 in, R 35.4 in.   More shoulder room, probably.

Edited by Robert Hall

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Passenger volume per Cad and Driver

Model 3: 95 cubic ft.

Volt: 90 cubic ft. 

Per Car & Driver, the Model S passenger volume is 94 cubic ft.  Pretty f'd up that the smaller model is slightly bigger inside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The Model 3 has 5 more cubic feet in the trunk plus the Model 3 has the small trunk up front too, where the Volt has an engine.  I have not been in a model 3 but I assume no center tunnel for exhaust exists either.  

FYI, the center is for the T shaped battery, there is no exhaust like in a normal car. Very different routing of the exhaust on the Volt.

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The Model 3 has 5 more cubic feet in the trunk plus the Model 3 has the small trunk up front too, where the Volt has an engine.  I have not been in a model 3 but I assume no center tunnel for exhaust exists either.  

True.. but the Volt has something that the Model 3 doesn't have.. an ALTERNATIVE propulsion system that is easy to re-invigorate within about 3 minutes. And make no mistake I have said the same thing about the Bolt. Personally I am not on board with complete EV line-ups until the infrastructure to "fill-up" is in place everywhere a gas station is or at least as many.  Range anxiety is real if for no other reason than some people simply forget. With the petrol situation its as easy as grabbing a damn jug.. hell a 2 liter coke bottle, walking 2 miles and filling it up with enough to get U to the next fill.. far as I know.. they don't make 2 mile long extension cords.. 😂 I stand by this even if Caddy decides that EV cars are a go. I think its a mistake to not keep a CT6 Plugin on the menu.. as much as I think Chevy should've long since expanded the VOLTEC fleet 

• Agree 1

The Bolt is not spacious by any measure of reality. It’s a subcompact. What do you expect? Every subcompact recently has had size bloat or need turned into a marked up jacked up crossover. Only thing the Bolt has got is that it’s electric.

and Voltec is dead. The writing is on the wall. 

As far as range anxiety, how often do people's phone's hit 0% battery?  People remember to charge their phone, they will remember to plug in their car.  And with wireless charging, you don't even plug in, you can just park it in the garage.  Plus we are probably 5 years away from being able to charge a battery as fast as one can fill a tank with gas.

• Agree 1