Lincoln News: Lincoln Corsair to get Plug-In Option

Drew Dowdell

Back in June we reported that the Lincoln MKC would be changing its name to Corsair. While previously used as an Edsel name, Corsair fits in with Lincoln's nautical naming theme for some of their SUVs, Corsair being a small sailing vessel.  Now, this week TTAC has uncovered a NHTSA document showing the engine lineup for the coming small crossover and it includes a plug-in hybrid variant. 

The plug-in hybrid will be a 2.5 liter 4-cylinder likely borrowed from the Fusion S. In that application it makes 175 hp and 175 lb-ft of torque. There is no word on driving range yet, but one thing that is for sure is that the PHEV version is only available in all-wheel drive. Two other powertrains will be available but they are the 2.0T and 2.3T carried over from the existing car. 

When will the Corsair arrive? That's anyone's guess, but our guess is that like its bigger brothers the Lincoln Nautilus, and Lincoln Aviator, it will be unveiled at the LA Auto Show this coming November. 

View full article

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very interesting, I am loving the names that are back on Lincoln. 

I honestly think Cadillac would do well to go back to names on their auto's. Leave the Alphabet soup on the ICE versions, but for the EV versions go back to names.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Very interesting, I am loving the names that are back on Lincoln. 

I honestly think Cadillac would do well to go back to names on their auto's. Leave the Alphabet soup on the ICE versions, but for the EV versions go back to names.

MAKES NO SENSE

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Excellent news!

ICE versions available for purchase....

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Leave the Alphabet soup on the ICE versions, but for the EV versions go back to names.

Well of course, if they want sales.  But, this is what I was referring to.  Makes no sense!

• Thanks 1

I salute the return of the names, as well.  It has coincided with a continued resurgence of improvement in the vehicles they are producing, which is even more exciting.

I did not agree with the notion that the alpha-numeric names would somehow dilute the brand name.  Everyone knew that a Town Car/Continental were Lincoln's along with every other model that they produced.   Even the idea of using "MK" was a nod to the Mark Series Lincolns.  I would have been more inclined to back using the Mark name designation with a letter to follow than just the "MK" (fill in the blank with another letter) strategy they decided upon.

But ultimately, Nautilus - Corsair - Continental (hopefully it somehow continues) - Navigator, provides a much better connection for a Lincoln customer than what they had.

Now, produce the MKR and call it the Mark IV and I will be a happy man!!!!  

**** Lincoln, bring back that car and you may singlehandedly resurrect the personal luxury coupe market ****
(he typed wistfully)   😍

Lincoln MKR.jpg

• Agree 3

@lengnert If cadillac would just take this car and produce it they would win a bunch of customers for the Personal Luxury Coupe Market.

See the source image

If they feel El Miraj is too Muslim sounding, then use Eldorado and call it a day!

I think Lincoln and Cadillac would have winner winner chicken dinner on their hands 5 stars if they built these cars.

• Agree 4

They could spell it 'El Mirage' like the town in Arizona.  Eldorado would be the best name for it, IMO.  Beautiful concept..I'd love to see them build a big RWD, 2dr hardtop.   If M-B and Bentley can build 2dr hardtops, GM can too...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

MotorTrend got spy photos of it.  Not that anyone should be surprised, but it looks like a baby Aviator.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-lincoln-corsair-spy-photos-what-we-know/

Ford is winning me back over with these SUV's.

This shows a serious intelligent effort to build vehicles. Bravo from me here in Columbus Ohio.

• Agree 4

MotorTrend got spy photos of it.  Not that anyone should be surprised, but it looks like a baby Aviator.

I was surprised that it looked a little bigger than the Escape spy shots we saw a few weeks/month ago. Maybe it's just angles or my eyes..  🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Thank you, this is great news to see them finally build a consistent family look and feel. While not a fan of the dash, I will say that Liconln is moving much faster than Cadillac with building a family of desirable looking CUVs.

23 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

They could spell it 'El Mirage' like the town in Arizona.  Eldorado would be the best name for it, IMO.  Beautiful concept..I'd love to see them build a big RWD, 2dr hardtop.   If M-B and Bentley can build 2dr hardtops, GM can too...

I lived in El Mirage for a year before I bought my house here in Peoria. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I lived in El Mirage for a year before I bought my house here in Peoria. 

When I worked in Chandler I had a coworker that lived in El Mirage..he hated his commute.  My commute was bad enough (N. Central Phoenix off the 51 to the 202/Price Road via the 10 was 27 miles each way). 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

When I worked in Chandler I had a coworker that lived in El Mirage..he hated his commute.  My commute was bad enough (N. Central Phoenix off the 51 to the 202/Price Road via the 10 was 27 miles each way). 

Ugh. For about a month and a half I was driving from El Mirage to Mesa, a 43 mile drive one way. So glad I only drive nine miles one way now. Long commutes suck.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Ugh. For about a month and a half I was driving from El Mirage to Mesa, a 43 mile drive one way. So glad I only drive nine miles one way now. Long commutes suck.

Yeah, the 9 years I lived in Phoenix, I only worked in Phoenix once for 6 months--downtown.  The rest of the time, I was commuting to Chandler, Tempe and Scottsdale.     The Scottsdale drive was easy since I could avoid the freeway and take Camelback. 

• Agree 1

I just hope they keep this look longer than they kept the Winged grille look. Not that the winged grille was great... just keep some consistency. 

I completely agree and I'd like to extend that they need to keep up with the actual luxury-ness of the vehicles instead of the crap badge jobs(like most of the above lol). 

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

I completely agree and I'd like to extend that they need to keep up with the actual luxury-ness of the vehicles instead of the crap badge jobs(like most of the above lol). 

The totally redesigned vehicles (Navigator, Continental, Aviator) have done a fantastic job with that. The ones that are merely makeovers (Nautilus, MKZ, MKC) aren't there yet. I hope they refresh the Nautilus interior rather quickly. 

• Like 2

At the risk of inviting the wrath of @balthazar , I do wish there were a Lincoln model between MKC/Corsair and Nautilus. 

Given how Ford is really getting on CUV bandwagon, I would expect more..I can see a Lincoln version of the Mustang-inspired Hybrid or EV CUV (Mach 1 or whatever it's going to be called?) ...maybe a Lincoln version of the Bronco? 

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Given how Ford is really getting on CUV bandwagon, I would expect more..I can see a Lincoln version of the Mustang-inspired Hybrid or EV CUV (Mach 1 or whatever it's going to be called?) ...maybe a Lincoln version of the Bronco? 

As long as they keep them looking truly different, if Ford falls back on old lazyness of badge engineering it could end up being very ugly to the Lincoln Line.

I would rather hope they focus on being Unique and luxury, leave off road to Ford.