evok

NG GMT 360 Shelved

126 posts in this topic

Shantanu    0

This is going to create a $h! storm, with the union and the need to keep the factory running... As well as the need to placate dealers with product. We could end up with a bunch of lame rebadges, just to keep these parties happy.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to can the mid-size SUVs, it's just a bad idea to can something this late. This is a decision they should have made a while ago. :banghead:

Flybrian    0

You know, these could get replaced by something better suited for a changing market. The EXT/XLs don't move well anyway and GM got by for nearly two decades with an S-10-based Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada. Yes, they were a little smaller than the GMT-360s, but what else rode the 360 platform? GM could certainly afford spawning a new generation of midsize SUVs off another pickup platfom...

Just saying...

Variance    0

Isn't Ford loosing a bundle on the Explorer refresh?

That's their problem. Everyone thinks it's no more than a minor refresh when in fact it's been pretty heavily revised. At least that's the theory.

ZL-1    160

Could this be the GM preparing to develop unibody mid-size SUVs, like shortened Lambdas or extended Thetas?

EDIT: or maybe GM's taking a 'wait and see' posture, and might use the NG Colorado frame as the base to mid-size SUVs in case the BOF market picks up again.

Edited by ZL-1

Flybrian    0

That's their problem. Everyone thinks it's no more than a minor refresh when in fact it's been pretty heavily revised. At least that's the theory.

So was the Navigator, but could you tell?

regfootball    234

THE NEW EXPLORER INTERIOR IS GARBAGE

THE NEW GRILLE IS GARBAGE

THE SHAPE IS THE SAME

THE GAS MILEAGE IS GARBAGE

THE ENGINES ARE MEDIOCRE

IT PROBABLY STILL ROLLS OVER

GARBAGE

GARBAGE

GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by regfootball

Variance    0

So was the Navigator, but could you tell?

From the first gen to the second? Not from the outside.

But the Mountaineer is the best (worst) example. Quick, is this the new one or old one?:

Posted Image

avant1963    38

Round fog lights - Old one. That's the only way I can tell from the front. New ones have rectangular lights that match the Mariner. But that's just me - I'm mental in NEEDING to know what year vehicles are.

91z4me    0

Could this be the GM preparing to develop unibody mid-size SUVs, like shortened Lambdas or extended Thetas?

EDIT: or maybe GM's taking a 'wait and see' posture, and might use the NG Colorado frame as the base to mid-size SUVs in case the BOF market picks up again.

I bet new thetas and a new SUV based on the new Izusu/GM platform. Like Charlie said on Cz28 I expect GMNA will design the SUVs. Hopefully we get 3 rows of seats outta the next 355s like the Izusu UV7 has.

Northstar    11

This is ok because the market is shrinking radiply anyways. I'd rather see the money go into CUVs on Lambda and Theta where the market is moving.

Chicagoland    2

So they're going to let the current SUVs stagnate and get murdered by the much fresher competition? Terrific.

Umm, the 'fresher' competition is getting killed also. "New" Explorer, Cherokee, and Durango are collecting dust. This segment was fashionable 10-17 years ago, now as passe' as Landau Vinyl Tops.

Buyers either want true full size SUV's or gas saving cross over utes.

Chazman    1

So they're going to let the current SUVs stagnate and get murdered by the much fresher competition? Terrific.

There just going to put their product money elsewhere.

Edited by Chazman

hyperv6    774

These are the bold moves GM needs to make to turn things around.

Fords rehash may be good but it breaks no ground and looks much the same. In a slow high gas price market that is the kiss of death.

GM made a nice SUV but it was never as good as it could have been. Too many areas were short changed.

I expect we have a better bolder alturnitive coming.

If Ford does not do something soon they will be much worse off than GM. They are nearly there now.

FAPTurbo    1,078

THE NEW EXPLORER INTERIOR IS GARBAGE

THE NEW GRILLE IS GARBAGE

THE SHAPE IS THE SAME

THE GAS MILEAGE IS GARBAGE

THE ENGINES ARE MEDIOCRE

IT PROBABLY STILL ROLLS OVER

GARBAGE

GARBAGE

GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it hadn't been for the friendly rep at the Auto Show... I would have died from starvation in the new Explorer.

I couldn't figure out how to open those god awful door handles.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.