2007 Cadillac SRX

2007 SRX: Cadillac Adds Hand-Crafted Elegance To Its Luxury Crossover

All-new interior enhances award-winning crossover

DETROIT -- The Cadillac SRX crossover, critically acclaimed for its innovative design in one of the industry’s hottest new segments, now borrows a page from Cadillac’s rich and elegant past. The 2007 SRX, launching in August, debuts a redesigned, hand-crafted luxury interior, bringing elegant Cadillac tradition into the modern world of the crossover vehicle.

The new SRX cabin utilizes Cadillac’s new “cut-and-sew” interior process that combines advanced technology with the hand-rendered precision of expert craftsmen. Coverings for components such as the instrument panel, center console and door trim are cut, sewn and wrapped mostly by hand. This enables details such as decorative French stitching, and the near elimination of gaps and seams for a superbly tailored appearance. This is the same painstaking process applied to Cadillac’s limited-production STS-V and XLR-V models, bringing old-world craftsmanship into the heart of the luxury marketplace.

“The SRX is the latest and most complete example of our new approach to interiors, blending advanced technology with the hand craftsmanship that was once, and is again becoming, a Cadillac trademark,” said Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “This new interior adds to SRX’s compelling package of design, performance, luxury and value, within the practicality of a crossover vehicle.”

The 2007 SRX’s redesigned cabin is more inviting and luxurious, with softer surfaces, new flush mounted switches and controls, and enhanced storage. The streamlined new design features a clever “hidden” storage compartment on the passenger side of the instrument panel. The wood trim on the passenger side deploys to reveal a surprisingly wide added storage bin above the existing glove box.

Another example of the detailed execution of SRX interior is also found on the passenger side of the instrument panel. The now-universal use of front air bags on new vehicles normally requires a visible “door” or opening in the dash. The hand assembly of SRX’s instrument panel enables the passenger front air bag to be invisibly concealed. Craftsmen use a technique called “skiving” to carve tiny perforations into the reverse side of the material, through which the air bag can deploy. This eliminates the conventional plastic cover and the corresponding gaps seen on nearly all other vehicles.

The wood trim on SRX envelops the cockpit, starting on the rear doors and continuing to the front doors and through the instrument panel. The optional trim uses a particularly rich authentic wood called Sapele Pommele. Sapele (sa-pell-i) is an exotic wood from East Africa , rarely used on luxury cars, more often favored by makers of fine home furnishings and high-end acoustic guitars.

SRX’s in-vehicle electronics and entertainment also receive a major enhancement for 2007. The renowned Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround ™ digital audio system is available as an option for the first time on SRX. The previous Bose system that had been optional now becomes standard. Also, SRX will offer a “theater” package consisting of Bose ™ 5.1 Cabin Surround ™ , DVD navigation and rear seat DVD entertainment. The audio system now also features an auxiliary port for connecting MP3 devices such as an IPod.

Named Car and Driver magazine's Best Luxury SUV for an unprecedented third consecutive year, the SRX luxury crossover delivers outstanding performance. The standard 3.6-liter V6 delivers good acceleration and fuel economy. The 2007 model also adds a six-speed automatic transmission (Northstar V8 models only) and a new Sport model. The Sport model includes a fresh exterior look with body-colored front and rear fascias and optional 18- or 20-inch wheels. The 20-inch wheels are the largest offered on any luxury crossover vehicle.

# # #

Cadillac (www.cadillac.com) is a division of General Motors (NYSE: GM). GM, the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 327,000 people around the world. With its headquarters in Detroit , GM has manufacturing operations in 33 countries . In 2005, GM sold 9.17 million cars and trucks globally, under the following brand names: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, HUMMER, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Photo Comparison

Posted ImagePosted Image

Very nice photos. The bumper redesign makes it look like a V-series though, it's probably only available the sport version so you'll have to pay extra to get exterior changes.

The interior looks really good in these higher-res photos and looks great in that khaki/brown color combination in the 4th photo.

I also like the hidden glove compartment.

I still think they could've used different HVAC controls but the rest of the interior looks amazing so it's not that big of a problem.

Edited by Cadillacfan

I still think they could've used different HVAC controls but the rest of the interior looks amazing so it's not that big of a problem.

165895[/snapback]

I agree, the old ones were much smoother and upscale. The twist dials are a step back to me...

I absolutely LOVE the SRX, still if I needed a SUV for less

than 5 passsangers I'd be tempted by the FX45.

It looks very nice so far.

Question: I suppose "AIRBAG" (or "SRS") emblems are legal requirements, because it seems a shame to engineer a completely hidden AB yet have to advertise it. I'm assuming that's what that emblem says; can't quite read it.

165946[/snapback]

Yes, its a federal requirement. I believe the reason is so rescue workers know where the airbag is if it did not deploy in a car accident. On our Bonneville, its embossed very, very nicely. Also, there aren't any cutlines.

Again, beautiful. The hidden glovebox is a nice touch.

I'm not a fan of those rims, either. They look too sissy, IMO.

"Hand-crafted luxury interior?" I didn't know robots could now be ordered with human hands. :lol:

Well, if that doesn't convince people that Cadillac is serious about their interiors, I don't know what will. If this is a foregleam of what the next CTS is bringing to the table, I think Cadillac will have a very bright future.

I'm betting, though, that all this hand-stitched leather and exotic wood and so on will cost a pretty penny. Not as though the SRX is cheap now (especially when you pile on the options), but I'd expect to see a noticeable bump in price.

I'm just so confused as to why the SRX gets authentic and exotic wood trim, while the more expensive, larger brother gets faux wood?

I like the changes. It's a great interior update in my opinion.

I'm just so confused as to why the SRX gets authentic and exotic wood trim, while the more expensive, larger brother gets faux wood?

I like the changes.  It's a great interior update in my opinion.

166149[/snapback]

Because the people that buy Escalades will still buy them with fake wood. Evidently - the buyers of the SRX demand more attention to detail. That said, it still seems like the Escalade should have real wood.

Because the people that buy Escalades will still buy them with fake wood.  Evidently - the buyers of the SRX demand more attention to detail.  That said, it still seems like the Escalade should have real wood.

166275[/snapback]

Blame the auto 'journalists' for it. If I were Cadillac and people constantly bitched about the real wood looking fake, I wouldn't care anymore either.

I like the changes.  It's a great interior update in my opinion.

166149[/snapback]

1. Escalade will sell with either fake or real wood.

2. It's GM.

To me, the interior looks mishmashed, boring, and tasteless, but regardless of my opinion, Caddy should be commended for their efforts. Extended leather on a mainstream luxury car is very impressive, and perhaps I'll like it more in person or with a different color scheme.

I prefer it to the Cayenne, FX, and a bunch of other luxo 'utes.