Sign in to follow this  
Flybrian

The Future of Pontiac

Pontiac: Relying on G forces

Posted Image

Automotive News / August 21, 2006 - 6:00 am

G5: Pontiac adds the G5 coupe, an entry-level model built on GM's small-car Delta architecture at the Lordstown, Ohio, plant. The G5 will be priced just under $15,000; sales begin this year. The vehicle is a sibling of the Chevrolet Cobalt coupe. A sedan will not be offered.

G6: The G6 is scheduled to be re-engineered and restyled for the 2010 model year on GM's front-wheel-drive Epsilon 2 architecture. Some GM executives want to make all of Pontiac's cars rear-wheel drive. But that strategy has not progressed beyond the talking stages.

Grand Prix: GM will discontinue the Grand Prix after the 2008 model year.

Mid-sized sedan: GM has targeted the 2010 model year for the introduction of a sporty new sedan. GM is considering a V-8-powered, mid-sized rwd sedan based on its rwd global vehicle architecture. GM insiders say the vehicle would be "one notch up" from the Grand Prix in terms of performance, content and price. One possible name is G8.

Solstice: A coupe is scheduled to be added for the 2008 model year. Higher-horsepower engines are planned for the future, but a V-6 is not. The Solstice likely will be re-engineered for the 2011 model year.

GTO: The 2006 model year was the last for the GTO.

Company insiders say the rwd architecture on which the Chevrolet Camaro will be based could provide a similar product for Pontiac. But Pontiac will not revive the Firebird name and likely not GTO. There is no time frame when such a car for Pontiac would be introduced.

Torrent: The freshening planned for the 2008 model year has been canceled. If Pontiac gets an all-car, all-rwd lineup in the next five years, the Torrent likely would become a GMC in the 2008 model year.

Montana SV6: The minivan will be dropped at the end of the 2006 model year.

Pretty likely after all the talk over the months and years at C&G and elsewhere.

Two comments:

Looks like GP may then not participate in an enhancement like the LaX circa 2008 if it is to be canned; the sad end of a legacy

Please, please, no names like G8...I always like the named Bonneville...they need a name-name for the flagship

Mid-sized sedan: GM has targeted the 2010 model year for the introduction of a sporty new sedan. GM is considering a V-8-powered, mid-sized rwd sedan based on its rwd global vehicle architecture. GM insiders say the vehicle would be "one notch up" from the Grand Prix in terms of performance, content and price. One possible name is G8.

183249[/snapback]

I hope, I hope, I hope...

Posted Image

Posted Image

So if Pontiac is getting a muscle car, it's not going to be a GTO or Firebird?

Also, I sort of see why they wouldn't name something on Zeta Grand Prix or Bonneville now. Maybe Bonneville would work, but I think people think of something much bigger than a Zeta SWB sedan would be, and the current Grand Prix would be so much worse of a vehicle that I think some people would dismiss it right away because of the name.

The Solstice coupe should have been here along with the roadster, but I guess they wanted to make sure Kappa would sell, so...

G6 can be an Americanized Torana, duh.

Of course they need a RWD mid-large coupe and sedan. Like now.

No mention of Vibe. A replacement for it on Delta would be useful. I think they need at least one utility vehicle, but it needs to have Pontiac character, through and through. None of this Yota crap under the skin. That means Ecotec power with plenty of torque.

I rather they keep the G6, and the Torana TT36 to be under it. Given it's a hatchback (according to the article that was talking about a possible production TT36), I think it's good enough to replace the G5 and the Vibe together.

Given that the G6 is getting the AWD promised with EPII, it should set the two aside very well It's selling as well, so why kill it? Changing it to be a rebadged TT36 would be too radical IMO.

Seems like a rather thin well dated line up over the next few years. Does this bring Pontiac down to 3 vehicles in 2009?

G5

G6

Solstice

Something doesn't fit.

Seems like a rather thin well dated line up over the next few years.  Does this bring Pontiac down to 3 vehicles in 2009?

G5

G6

Solstice

Something doesn't fit.

183323[/snapback]

According to at least 1 person a GTO launch is being planned for the same time as the Camaro launch. Also even if the timeframe is off I bet any amount of money that the GTO name is not dead.

Torrent: The freshening planned for the 2008 model year has been canceled. If Pontiac gets an all-car, all-rwd lineup in the next five years, the Torrent likely would become a GMC in the 2008 model year.

183249[/snapback]

No. The Torrent needs to go upscale, be priced right above the Saturn VUE, and renamed to Buick Rendezvous.

<_< That would make too much sense and provide too much continuity and not allow Buick's sales to drop further, in the interim before Enclave comes out.

Dont count the GP out till you see the new Motor Trend ;-)

183399[/snapback]

Sketch or spy pics? I'm intrigued!

A GM chop of the Zeta sedan with plans to build it.

Posted Image

srry for horrible quality.

Edited by BlkHhr104

Guest YellowJacket894

...Uh, where did you get that issue of MT?

I hope that if a GP is a Commodore-based sedan, it's not expensive and low-volume. That wouldn't make much sense, really. (A thought: that situation will never happen. Since Zeta will/can be built in Oshawa...well, I think you know where I'm going.)

Motor Trend puts a chop of a possible Pontiac Grand Prix on its cover? Is that a r-e-a-l MT cover, or a chop itself?

It's real, I swear, I have no clue how to chop but I read it, Holden wants to build us a GP, and according to GM they engineered this car to be left-hand drive and the tank is ahead of the axle, im not sure if it's a MT car chop though.

Edited by BlkHhr104

It's real, I swear, I have no clue how to chop but I read it, Holden wants to build us a GP, and according to GM they engineered this car to be left-hand drive and the tank is ahead of the axle, im not sure if it's a MT car chop though.

183522[/snapback]

All the stuff about VE being able to be sold in the US is 100% true, Mooney and other GM staff have said as much. I do expect the Commedore to be imported, if nothing else then to take up the GTO volume levels.

All the stuff about VE being able to be sold in the US is 100% true, Mooney and other GM staff have said as much.  I do expect the Commedore to be imported, if nothing else then to take up the GTO volume levels.

183938[/snapback]

If GM tacks on Pontiac front and rear clips to the "new" Australian designs, the next GTO and Grand Prix will flop like the old GTO (great car wrapped in boring styling). The Australians sure do like their styling bland!

A heapin helping of American please. Hold the Eurosauce!

Some clarification is needed. Holden would like to export something to the US, but they acknowledge that it can only be something low-volume like the GTO. Thus a replacement for the Grand Prix is not feasible.

Some clarification is needed. Holden would like to export something to the US, but they acknowledge that it can only be something low-volume like the GTO. Thus a replacement for the Grand Prix is not feasible.

185047[/snapback]

I am thinking they will do a low volume Commedore sedan and possibly, if they have the extra volume, later a WM based Buick Statesman.

they should fire those at GM for not having this car here NOW.

2010 is too late. I am appalled they said the folks in Detroit didn't even drive this car till a few weeks ago.

that alone gives a clue of how disjointed a 'world' company is.

Imagine the big time payoff if GM had the new grand Prix here now as well as the new Statesman large Buick.

the market wants it now, not 2-3 years from now. Don't give me the BS about tooling up the factories. Export some of these now and get the buzz going. federalization for the US market should have been in place a year or more ago.

Edited by regfootball

they should fire those at GM for not having this car here NOW.

2010 is too late.  I am appalled they said the folks in Detroit didn't even drive this car till a few weeks ago.

that alone gives a clue of how disjointed a 'world' company is.

Imagine the big time payoff if GM had the new grand Prix here now as well as the new Statesman large Buick.

the market wants it now, not 2-3 years from now.  Don't give me the BS about tooling up the factories.  Export some of these now and get the buzz going.  federalization for the US market should have been in place a year or more ago.

185868[/snapback]

I agree 100%. This is ridiculous for Pontiac to go 2 years without a mid/full size car. Granted they are paired up with Buick and GMC now, but what if I want a sporty mid size car and don't think a Buick would fit the bill? Sure there's still Saturn Aura and Chevy Malibu/Impala, but Pontiac is going to suffer without something in place by the time the GP is axed.

I would never spend money on a Chevrolet or Saturn. I'm sure I'm not alone. That itself is enough reason to get it in gear.

I would never spend money on a Chevrolet or Saturn. I'm sure I'm not alone. That itself is enough reason to get it in gear.

192757[/snapback]

i wonder if thats the kind of excuse all those old guys that started buying up all the scions used.

the oh, id never buy a toyota...oooh scion looks nice.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle