Toyota recalling 500,000 + Tundras and Sequoias

andy82471

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070119/ap_on_...s/toyota_recall

WASHINGTON - Toyota Motor Corp. said Thursday it was recalling 533,000 Tundra pickup trucks and Sequoia sport utility vehicles because of potential steering problems.

Toyota said the recall involved 2004-2006 Tundra trucks and 2004-2007 Sequoia full-size SUVs. The automaker has received reports of 11 accidents and six injuries connected to the recall, said Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong.

The automaker said there was a possibility of excessive wear to a front suspension lower ball joint that could make it difficult to steer the vehicle and stay in the center of the lane. Drivers may also notice more noise coming from the front suspension, Kwong said.

Toyota recalled about 775,000 pickups and SUVs in May 2005 — one of its largest recalls ever — because of similar problems with the front suspension. The recall included 2002-2004 model years of the Tundra and Sequoia.

Kwong said the company received additional complaints involving newer models of the Tundra and Sequoia, prompting them to issue the recall.

Toyota, which is challenging General Motors Corp. to become the world's largest automaker, has aggressively touted its redesigned Tundra pickup as a strong competitor in the lucrative truck segment dominated by GM and Ford Motor Co.

The first Tundras built at Toyota's San Antonio plant are expected in showrooms next month. The automaker recently unveiled its Tundra CrewMax full-size pickup truck at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The large pickup will arrive in showrooms in March.

With its expansion, the automaker has struggled with some quality issues. Toyota had 2.2 million vehicle recalls in 2005, but showed improvements last year when its recalls fell to 766,000 vehicles. Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe has repeatedly vowed to enhance quality controls.

Owners will be notified in mid-February of the Sequoia and Tundra recall and dealers will replace the left and right front suspension lower ball joint at no charge to the vehicle's owners. Consumers can contact Toyota at (888) 270-9371 or (800) 331-4331.

___

On the Net:

Toyota Motor Corp.: http://www.toyota.com/

Edited by andy82471

and if GM recalled 50 impalas for the glue that holds an emblem on, they will be bashed by EVERYONE

Don't you be comparing third rate GM glue to Toyota's small ball joint defect.

For all we know, there could have been gallons of GM's defective third rate glue on a single car, while Toyota's ball joint has but a tiny chip! :pokeowned:

Besides, this is just a model year extension of a known existing recall, like Ford's cruise control.

The ball joint is also probably manufactured by a Detroit affiliated supplier, who is employing a Toyota hating, ball-joint sabotaging, vengeful employee, who slyed his way into being the trusted employee of the month, and getting to drive the company car to the hi-luxury exotic dancing club down the street, all on the company's payroll. This person also probably handed out the last unsabotaged ball-joints to the strippers as souvenirs, in exchange for VIP lap dances and drinks! :pbjtime:

:cheering::omfg::alcoholic::metal::cheers::cheering:

Man it's good to be the employee of the month!

Edited by JT64

HOly cow... that's freekin' crazy!

Don;t recalls include unsold units? (curious)

This was intentionally designed into the vehicle because the Japanese automaker is concerned about the effect a high-quality full-size truck would have on Ford and GM. If Toyota didn't design a truck that occasionally steered itself into a ditch, oncoming traffic, or FlyBrian's car, the damage to the American automakers would be decimating to the US economy.

Toyota - moving forward (and sometimes to left or the right)

-RBB

Edited by RBB

That's a lot of Tundras and Sequoias. Sounds like Dodge's ball joint problems from a while ago.

Umm probably about four model year of worth.

Atleast we know, when toyota does something they want to be the best at it. They are starting off the year in the direction of being the recall king of the year again.

#1 was their goal. They were not sure which one was the easiest to get to. Hence they decided to go the easier way by recalling.

Edited by smallchevy

But will this have any effect on the American media or sales profits? Very doubtful! It's about time that someone is finally broadcasting these stories (NADA/Yahoo! News) rather than just sweep it under the rug and keep Toyota "Moving Forward". This is information the general buying public needs to know!

This was intentionally designed into the vehicle because the Japanese automaker is concerned about the effect a high-quality full-size truck would have on Ford and GM. If Toyota didn't design a truck that occasionally steered itself into a ditch, oncoming traffic, or FlyBrian's car, the damage to the American automakers would be decimating to the US economy.

Toyota - moving forward (and sometimes to left or the right)

-RBB

LOL Nice.

Maybe FLy should sue Toyota for damages.

I watched the news last night, and heard about the Consumer Reports deal about the kiddie car seats... but nothing on this...

Strange... I heard about the tailgate recall with the GM trucks, but not this. The tailgate one was serious, and this one is too, perhaps even more serious.

I think 'C&G's' "Lewis Black" will have a probable explanation :AH-HA_wink:.

As a part of the settlement he will get Ann Coulter for a night.

I WANT IN ON THAT!!!!!!

excessive wear to a front suspension lower ball joint that could make it difficult to steer the vehicle and stay in the center of the lane.

I love the timing of this. Do you hear the sweet voice of Pavorotti in the background? Does the sun shine forever?

You asked for it, you got it, Toyota. I just hope this gets plastered all over the media.

I hope THIS puts big doubt in the mind of all the toyota lemmings. Hey, we all thought OJ was a fun loving athlete too.........I hope this puts a major bludgeon on the new Tundra's launch....MAJOR.

Why are so many of Toyota's recalls steering related? those Asian makes always love to skimp on the heft of the chassis and suspension components.

I WANT IN ON THAT!!!!!!

I love the timing of this. Do you hear the sweet voice of Pavorotti in the background? Does the sun shine forever?

You asked for it, you got it, Toyota. I just hope this gets plastered all over the media.

I hope THIS puts big doubt in the mind of all the toyota lemmings. Hey, we all thought OJ was a fun loving athlete too.........I hope this puts a major bludgeon on the new Tundra's launch....MAJOR.

Why are so many of Toyota's recalls steering related? those Asian makes always love to skimp on the heft of the chassis and suspension components.

LMAO! I love it - apparently Toyota isn't infallible after all? How 'bout them apples Consumer Reports?

Hey and by the way reg, that's *my* word.... "lemmings..." Glad to see you using it in the right spirit... :)

as i sat reading this around 11 this morning i wondered how long it would take to make it on C&G. i thought the very same about how the media would probably come to toyotas aid, and while had this been a GM problem there would be massive public outcry and predictions of the fall of GM in the next fiscal year. I told my friend toyota's $h!t stinks just like everyone else and its showing more and more everyday.

Wonder if this recall got delayed at all. Seems like it was in the works for a while... A recall like this potentially effects everyone on the road. You dont want to be driving behind, next to or anywhere near one of these things with unresolved problems that already have seen injuries and accidents.

Experience is a bitch of a teacher.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

LOL...

Theres the difference between American trucks and Japanese trucks.

American automakers have to recall large numbers to fix minor things like tailgate cables. (Although, to listen to the media, you'd think tailgates were falling on babies)

Japanese automakers have to recall large numbers of trucks to fix LIFE THREATENING durability issues.

It's so nice to see Toyota getting (some of) it's dues and I'm glad to see they're starting the year off right. Not to mention on Yahoo too, LOL.

Maybe Consumer Reports should retract their Tundra quality ratings just like they did the child safety seat findings.

LMAO! I love it - apparently Toyota isn't infallible after all? How 'bout them apples Consumer Reports?

Hey and by the way reg, that's *my* word.... "lemmings..." Glad to see you using it in the right spirit... :)

I am sure CR still loves this truck. it probably has 'low gloss plastics'.....even if you veer off of your lane and crash into someone head on.

As Tundra plows into ditch on test drive with CR reporter at the wheel:

"the tactile feel of the airbag was much better in the Tundra then the plastic graining was in the Chevrolet's dash, lending to an overall higher quality crashing experience. The Chevrolet did not deploy it's airbag due to the fact that it FAILED to veer out of control unexpectedly like the Toyota. When is GM going to realize that people LIKE excitement in thier trucks? Meanwhile, later in the test as I was being tended to by the ambulance crew, I told them I could not possibly sit on the Chevrolet tailgate as I was affraid of the cables snapping - GM's Quality is just not there yet!"

As Tundra plows into ditch on test drive with CR reporter at the wheel:

"the tactile feel of the airbag was much better in the Tundra then the plastic graining was in the Chevrolet's dash, lending to an overall higher quality crashing experience. The Chevrolet did not deploy it's airbag due to the fact that it FAILED to veer out of control unexpectedly like the Toyota. When is GM going to realize that people LIKE excitement in thier trucks? Meanwhile, later in the test as I was being tended to by the ambulance crew, I told them I could not possibly sit on the Chevrolet tailgate as I was affraid of the cables snapping - GM's Quality is just not there yet!"

:rotflmao:

I hate toyota and consumer reports.

That IS a lot of trucks. I'm honestly wondering where in the world all these trucks are? There can't be that many of them sold. And the ball joint problem is more or less EXACTLY the same problem that DCX had a couple of years ago, with the exception of the wheel falling off like with the Dodges.

This sound about right?

In a deep, threatening voice:

"For years, full size pickups in North America steered straight when you didn't turn the wheel and had minimal front end noise off the lot.

What you REALLY wanted is the random danger of head on collisions and repeated trips to the dealer.

Happy Birthday."

Edited by mr.nice

There are hardly any tundras or sequoias in central NJ either. Still waiting to see a tundra towing.... something.

As a sidebar- quite a few STSs...

I see quite a few here in the Northeast - of course they're all yuppie moronic lemmings that can't think independently.