Imports in the GM parking lot

mightymouse

I understand the concept that everyone gets to choose what they really love to drive... But it blows my mind that so many people, working at GM for many years, choose from the dark side. Of course, if YOU were scooping up a nice GM check and benefits, ya think you could find ONE vehicle in the GM stable to drive to work??? At the Tech Center in Warren, they have designated parking decks in which only vehicles of the GM family can park. The other guys have to park aways out, and brave the elements to trudge all the to the bldg. Some losers drive crappy ricers and park close anyway, where they shouldn't. One guy drives a hOnDa eLeMenT with the gray plastic everywhere, and stupiest wheels I have ever seen! He always sits in it, sleeping and goofin off when he should be working! Or he's shining it, with pride...And then leaving early like at 2pm. This guy and guys like him are pushing me to the edge! Sometimes I see people leaving him notes, big ones like BUY GM F___H__D! A couple times I saw he was missing a window. hmmmmm. I would never vandalize any car, not even a ricer..but what is an appropriate comment, or love note to leave for this guy? I thought of many, but never left one. Im cOrNfusEd. :huh:

I'm on the fence about this one. While it's a free country it is pretty dumb to help the competition by giving them a sale while denying your own company any profit. But what about someone who buys a POS ugly Element and THEN gets a job at GM. He can't be expected to go out and trade his car right away. That would be messed up. If hoiwever someone works at GM for a few years and then runs out and buys a Lexus IS without even testdriving the Caddy CTS or whatever then they're a FUC#TARD, plain and simple. BTW: I'm sure there's a few Impalas and 3-series bimmers in the employee parking lots of Honda and Toyota.

I understand the concept that everyone gets to choose what they really love to drive...
But it blows my mind that so many people, working at GM
for many years, choose from the dark side. Of course, if YOU were
scooping up a nice GM check and benefits, ya think you could find
ONE vehicle in the GM stable to drive to work??? At the Tech Center
in Warren, they have designated parking decks in which only vehicles
of the GM family can park. The other guys have to park aways out,
and brave the elements to trudge all the to the bldg. Some losers drive
crappy ricers and park close anyway, where they shouldn't. One guy drives a
hOnDa eLeMenT with the gray plastic everywhere, and stupiest wheels I have ever
seen! He always sits in it, sleeping and goofin off when he should be working!
Or he's shining it, with pride...And then leaving early like at 2pm. This guy and
guys like him are pushing me to the edge! Sometimes I see people leaving him notes,
big ones like BUY GM F___H__D! A couple times I saw he was missing a window. hmmmmm.
I would never vandalize any car, not even a ricer..but what is an appropriate comment,
or love note to leave for this guy? I thought of many, but never left one.

Im   cOrNfusEd. :huh:

[post="20497"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Buy GM or don't park in a GM parking lot.... It's as simple as that.

Loyalty aside (Which is why I would buy GM) These people are pulling a paycheck from General Motors. They should invest in their job security, ESPECIALLY if they are a part of the UAW and it's naive standards that it holds GM to, which are killing the company. The LEAST a UAW-GM worker could do is buy GM.

Working at GM and driving something different could be considered hypocritical by some (like me) just as driving an import and sticking an American flag on it is considered hypocritical by some (like me)

It isn't an uncommon practice to force employees to buy their company's product (As they should feel obligated to do) Budweiser does it... (At one time you couldn't even smoke Marlboro cigarettes when at Budweiser because RJ Reynolds, Marlboros parent company, had a stake in Miller Brewing) All the major super market chains do it, Beverage companies do it (RC, who is actually cadberry, Pepsi, Coke) Hell, even the fast food joint I work at as my second job does it. We can't be on the premises with any other fast food.

I would be hard pressed not to confront this guy in a very angry manner. At the very least I would make smart ass comments at him and dare him to say something back. I don't think I would vandalize his ride, but then again if things keep getting dirty between the PR wars and GM keeps losing I might have a change of heart. I'm NOT suggesting or condoning this behavior in any way, I'm just saying how I feel and we all know I'm not all peace, love and happiness and I'm not a saint either (Or at least everyone who has been here for a while knows)

EDIT: Before all the flames start flying:

I'm just being honest folks, this is my opinion and no one has to believe it or like it but me..... and I love it.

But what about someone who buys a POS ugly Element and THEN gets a job at GM. He can't be expected to go out and trade his car right away. That would be messed up. If hoiwever someone works at GM for a few years and then runs out and buys a Lexus IS without even testdriving the Caddy CTS or whatever then they're a FUC#TARD, plain and simple.

That is a good point and something I had not considered.

BTW: I'm sure there's a few Impalas and 3-series bimmers in the employee parking lots of Honda and Toyota.

I doubt it, they've probably all been brainwashed into "superior automobiles" or either ridiculed for being an "ignorant domestic driver"

I'm on the fence about this one. While it's a free country it is pretty dumb to help the competition by giving them a sale while denying your own company any profit.

BTW: I'm sure there's a few Impalas and 3-series bimmers in the employee parking lots of Honda and Toyota.

[post="20680"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, it's not the easiest question. I, for instance, work for a public school system. Now, if I were a parent (I'm not), I would not send my kids here. Not a bad school system but I prefer private education. That's my choice. Is it wrong? I hardly think so.

At the same time however, one could view a GM worker owning a Honduh, TOYota, etc as being part of the cause of GM's problems.

Good point about the import workers owning Domestics.

BTW, love that sig pic Sixty8pather!
Mike

Yeah, it's not the easiest question.  I, for instance, work for a public school system.  Now, if I were a parent (I'm not), I would not send my kids here.  Not a bad school system but I prefer private education.  That's my choice.  Is it wrong?  I hardly think so.

At the same time however, one could view a GM worker owning a Honduh, TOYota, etc as being part of the cause of GM's problems.

Good point about the import workers owning Domestics.

Mike

[post="20690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Another very good argument that has me second guessing some of my logic.

Working at GM and driving something different could be considered hypocritical by some (like me) just as driving an import and sticking an American flag on it is considered hypocritical by some (like me)

[post="20687"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't feel bad, I've felt the same way myself. Then I feel guilty for feeling that way. :blink: :blink:
My head hurts......

Welcome to capitalism. You should not be forced to buy a product from the company YOU'RE WORKING FOR in order to park in its employees' parking lot. You agreed to complete your job duties in order to earn your salary. If you're completing your job as required, they shouldn't ask for more! This is business, and business only.

Here's what I say to every GM employee who drives otherwise: "I appreciate your right to earn a living and buy whatever you want with the money you make. However, when there isn't enough productivity at General Motors and your job is on the line, because not enough people bought your product, don't come crying to me about how you can't pay for your HONDA (or FORD, or CHRYSLER, etc.)" I definitely may not agree with their spending choice, but i'd fight for their right to have a choice. The least I hope for with my passive aggressive approach is some thought provoking. And just a note to BV, if you are the Chrysler employee you speak of, I have not one problem with you driving a Grand Am, especially if it's used. However, if you were my employee and I caught wind of you referring people to the GM dealer down the street, you would be fired so fast, your head would spin. So definitely be careful, you don't want your referral tactics getting back to anyone where you work!

True, this is a free world and everyone has the right to buy whatever they want. HOwever, preferred parking is an acceptable perk for supporting the company you work for. Buying the competition sends out a horrible message. Of course, you will find Fords and Chevys in the lot at the Honda plant in Alliston - just not many new ones, that's all. I get asked all the time what I drive. One of our guys bought a Maxima recently and I gave him proper sh*t. (He traded his 2001 Corvette for it, too!) Put your money where your mouth is.

"ya think you could find
ONE vehicle in the GM stable to drive to work??? "

yeah, you'd THINK SO, you'd think GM could produce even one vehicle some folks would desire over the competition.

point is, maybe they don't.  did that ever cross your mind?

[post="20808"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree with most of you, except this guy.

If I hired in at Ford, I would no doubt get a Mustang right away!
At Chrysler, it would be a 300 SRT8 or maybe a Jeep. Point is,
Don't bite the Hand the feeds you. Based on fact, not opinion,
Independant surveys like JD Powers rank GM #1 in Sales and service
satisfaction. Of the top ten plants for quality, GM has 8 of the top 10.

Chevy was the best selling passenger car last year. Duh.
Ya think the majority is wrong and your'e the genious?
Have you heard of the Corvette or Solstice? I get paid to wail on
them. hmmmm

The vibe was the lowest quality rated vehicle GM has.
It's assembled in California by -Toyota-

Try to base your opinions on facts. Not media crap generated
from the dark side.

When you understand the facts, Its easy to choose a GM ride.
I have driven most of the cool new stuff by GM and I'm proud
to drive Chevys. Chevys rule. Its not about being forced.

ANYWAY the eLeMent dude's other car is leaky rice junk with
a wing and coffe can exhaust.

Those of you that can't relate, I hope you get better, soon.

Mike

[post="20690"][/post]

Thanks. It's a classic from the old forum. I throw it on every so often to remind everyone where I stand. http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons//AH-HA_wink.gif

frogger:  Meh I work for an IBM distributor but won't buy an IBM PC. Unless they heaviliy subsidize, I'm inclined to get what I want regardless of where I work.

I'm sure you did not ever display a Mac or Dell computer in front of the IMB headquarters or factory however.

Posted Image

Welcome to capitalism.  You should not be forced to buy a product from the company YOU'RE WORKING FOR in order to park in its employees' parking lot.  You agreed to complete your job duties in order to earn your salary.  If you're completing your job as required, they shouldn't ask for more!  This is business, and business only.

If you work for Company X, are walking on your lunch break in a little-used area of the factory and spot a fire breaking out, do you say & do nothing because your job is not the plant fire marshall? Just curious.

yeah, you'd THINK SO, you'd think GM could produce even one vehicle some folks would desire over the competition.

With the billions toyota has, you'd think they could produce even one vehicle some folks would desire over the competition.

Oh, sorry everyone; I pulled a reg there....

"ya think you could find
ONE vehicle in the GM stable to drive to work??? "

point is, maybe they don't.  did that ever cross your mind?

[post="20808"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can honestly say that with a straight face?

GM has MANY more desirable vehicles than Toyonda.

P.S. Oh and if you're UAW then you're obligated to buy UAW produced vehicles or otherwise don't bitch when you job gets outsourced or terminated

It is called PRIDE. If I sold IBM computer, I would own one, plain and simple. Take pride in your work. To me, that is just a given, but then that is probably why the work ethic has gone all to crap in this country...nobody has pride in their job. Come on - nobody should not have to FORCE you to buy what you build, but if you don't have pride but just collect a pay check - that is just a shame. Maybe that little Chinese girl making 50 cents an hour is just damned glad to have a job to feed her family and has some pride in her work. Something we all take for granted. Work for Chrysler, buy a Ford???? WTF?

If you work for Company X, are walking on your lunch break in a little-used area of the factory and spot a fire breaking out, do you say & do nothing because your job is not the plant fire marshall? Just curious.

[post="21146"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep. How do you compare preventing personal injury (of you and your coworkers) and property LOSS with feeling obligated to spend the money you worked for on your company's products?

if you are a family, and need say, a van, and you work for Ford, but really thought the Freestar was a pile of dung, why shouldn't you be able to buy a Sienna or a Grand Caravan? Or let's say you want an AWD sedan but work for GM and you can't afford an STS? What if the Aveo has an inferior warranty to the Accent? What if you just flat out prefer the looks or interior or engine on a competing product and can't reason spending your hard earned money for something you don't want? Company pride is one thing, but people have choices and standards and their own criteria as well.

if you are a family, and need say, a van, and you work for Ford, but really thought the Freestar was a pile of dung, why shouldn't you be able to buy a Sienna or a Grand Caravan?

Or let's say you want an AWD sedan but work for GM and you can't afford an STS?

What if the Aveo has an inferior warranty to the Accent?

What if you just flat out prefer the looks or interior or engine on a competing product and can't reason spending your hard earned money for something you don't want?

Company pride is one thing, but people have choices and standards and their own criteria as well.

[post="21476"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's exactly what my parents did. Mom bought a Grand Caravan over a Venture because the GC had better seats, better handling, nicer interior/exterior and better warranty.

Dad drive a 99 Intrepid everyday to work (GM) and never got looked like he was a terrorist! B) Edited by Ian

I work for Pizza Hut and ordered pizza from Papa Johns last night. Same thing really, I had no food in the house, so I decided to order something. Pizza Hut food sucks, and its overpriced (the Toyota of pizza) where Papa Johns has much better food, and they were still open, so they got my business. The parking lot issue is not black and white, if you think it is, you are an idiot.

It is called PRIDE.  If I sold IBM computer, I would own one, plain and simple.  Take pride in your work.  To me, that is just a given, but then that is probably why the work ethic has gone all to crap in this country...nobody has pride in their job.
  Come on - nobody should not  have to FORCE you to buy what you build, but if you don't have pride but just collect a pay check - that is just a shame.
  Maybe that little Chinese girl making 50 cents an hour is just damned glad to have a job to feed her family and has some pride in her work.
  Something we all take for granted.

Work for Chrysler, buy a Ford???? WTF?

[post="21338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We're a people that want what someone else has.....plus we get celebrity multi-millionaires (note the order) thrown in our face every single day from every medium. How can a normal person not feel envious, and in turn, unhappy with life and their work?

If this is all about "job security" and taking "pride in your work" as some of you keep saying then shouldn't these workers only be buying the model of vehicle made in the factory they work at on their assembly line? For example, if you work at a plant producing Colorados but decide to buy an Impala you still aren't "taking pride in your work" and you aren't necessarily increasing your job security because GM could still shut down your plant due to low Colorado sales.

one thing that i can say about GM enthusiasts and employees, gm does not make acrs at the top of their class for every persons needs or wants, only some, those who dont want what gm has to offer but something else instead get it. thats smart, no need gettig a truck then only driving ti to work acroos town in the sun nevre anywhere else

We're a people that want what someone else has.....plus we get celebrity multi-millionaires (note the order) thrown in our face every single day from every medium.  How can a normal person not feel envious, and in turn, unhappy with life and their work?

[post="21540"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Celebrities? what in the hell are you talking about ?
I'm really happy and I love my job. You're in the one in charge
of your life...make some changes. It's all about YOUR choices.
Don't play a victim- follow your dreams derrrrrh

Damn straight I take pride in my work.. If I didn't work hard I wouldn't have doubled my salary and gone from me being a one man IT department of a $15M company to VP of the same $70M company. But even where I work, 6 years ago when we were unhappy with IBM servers, we used a Compaq internally for a few years. And though I build custom PC's for myself and use a Mac too at home, I do only use the company ThinkPad around the office.

I work for Pizza Hut and ordered pizza from Papa Johns last night.  Same thing really, I had no food in the house, so I decided to order something.  Pizza Hut food sucks, and its overpriced (the Toyota of pizza) where Papa Johns has much better food, and they were still open, so they got my business.  The parking lot issue is not black and white, if you think it is, you are an idiot.

[post="21533"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Seems pretty "black and white" to me...

Drive a GM, get a preferred parking space, drive an import then get out your speed walking gear and have fun braving the elements.

How is buying a f@#king pizza the same thing as buying a $30,000 vehicle????? Washington doesn't care what kind of pizza you buy. Trade wars aren't fought over pizza! Would you walk into work with a Pappa Johns bag and eat it in front of the customers? Would you use your Dell laptop where you work at a Sony Store in front of the customers? These are the issues. And I don't think we are talking about some entry level "would you like fries with that?" kind of job where you work for six months and then are off to the next minimum wage job. We are talking about high paying, relatively skilled jobs that are supposedly careers. Nobody expects you to sell your Nissan the day you start work at Ford, but when it comes time to trade it in, damn straight you should be looking at a Ford. Pride and supporting your fellow workers!

If I were working at a Mac store, I'd use my Dell at work, if I were doing homework or something while on break. I'd get crap from co-workers, but boo-hoo what other people think or say really doesn't matter. It was my choice to buy my Dell. Just like it is anyones choice to buy whatever car they want. If they want a Camry, there is no reason why they shouldn't buy one. It isn't GM's business what their employees do off the clock, and I'm pretty sure most employees buy their cars in their down time. Is anyone off of these boards really concerned with this issue anyways?

A friend of mine owns a Pontiac Buick GMC dealership and he usually just drives a Sierra. Last week though he baught a Cadillac SRX. I dont have a problem with that because he is still supporting the company he works under. He has been trying to get the Cadillac line for years too. I think you should support the car company you work for, even if its not direct (ie. working for Dodge and driving a Mercedes).

So did you ever consider that not every car at the Tech Center is a GM employee?? There are plenty of contract workers and supplier workers there who don't get the perks of a GM discount, nor support only GM in their job roles. That said, I have no problem with preferred parking for GM products. If they were smart, they would make the non-GM vehicles park in areas that can't be seen from around the perimeter.

We're a people that want what someone else has.....plus we get celebrity multi-millionaires (note the order) thrown in our face every single day from every medium.  How can a normal person not feel envious, and in turn, unhappy with life and their work?

[post="21540"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Uhmmm i dont know about you, but living a high profile life aint my kind of thing. Id rather drive some POS 5spd truck than a Mercedez Benz (why? thats a good question. i love crappy vehicles that i can rev/burn out with/ and compltely not care what happens to them!)