FIRST LOOK: Buick Lucerne Super

Flybrian

They are charging extra for a new grille and some wood and some chrome trim?? Come on.. They CXS had a the V8 already. The grille puts it more in line with Enclave. Does it make the Lucerne Super a cheaper alternative to the DTS?

Now now... it has 17 more horsepower! :rolleyes:

(even though it has less torque than the CXS model)

I love the new rear but will have to wait to see how I like the front grill. As of now it does seem slightly out of place but it could just be the newness of seeing it. I suspected most here would trash it....you trash everything. Now the inside needs an update on the gear shifter area and the top of the center stack.

Love the Lucerne, and always thought *maybe* it'd be even better with a more detailed nose...but that grille with a point just looks like a mishap. The larger size and better detailing is nice, but it'd be better with a more appropriately curved lower side.

Otherwise, like the Lucerne, they tried to mask the black center stack syndrome with silver, which is actually an improvement. Not huge, but still better than the terrible black.

So now Buick is on grille overload...guess getting away from all their horrendous wheel designs for the past decade and a half had them chomping to screw something up. Then again, with the worst in world GM photography, it could be a lot better in person.

Edited by caddycruiser

Then again, with the worst in world GM photography, it could be a lot better in person.

My fingers are crossed. :unsure:

I like most of the changes... the rest, I need time to become comfortable with. I'm sure the Lucerne will look better in person.

:confused0071:

.....and I'd get this over a CXS.....because?

More HP, suede seats and door panels, leather dash? I'm not sure really. I guess it depends on the price difference and if the rest of the Lucerne models get a telescoping steering wheel.

Wow... I guess Buick must have gotten lucky with the Enclave... Because this and the LaCrosse clearly show that Buick is clueless. :blink:

No, they didn't get lucky... The LaCrosse and Lucerne are from the generation before Enclave. This is just to bridge the gap between then and the near future. The next LaCrosse and Lucerne will carry the Enclave/Velite inspired styling much better... they're not that far away.

The grille shape does not go well with the car at all. Really, the front was OK as is.

I'm not too thrilled with this. Maybe, as with the pics of the LaCrosse, it'll look better in lighter colors.

The grille would be fine if all they did was make it a little wider and less tall...filling in the gaps on either side between the grille and headlights. Also as I said if it were shorter by maybe an inch or so, or if the point wasn't so....well...pointy...damn and the Lucerne Super was something I was dying to see, I envisioned a knockout in terms of adding some minor details to the existing car and thus making it a truly classy car....now it looks gaudy :angry:

No, they didn't get lucky... The LaCrosse and Lucerne are from the generation before Enclave. This is just to bridge the gap between then and the near future. The next LaCrosse and Lucerne will carry the Enclave/Velite inspired styling much better... they're not that far away.

That's not at all what I meant. I'm talking about the "improvements" made. They suck regardless of what the actual car is like.

More HP, suede seats and door panels, leather dash? I'm not sure really. I guess it depends on the price difference and if the rest of the Lucerne models get a telescoping steering wheel.

The horsepower is kinda moot.....as torque takes a dip. Plus, buff mag tests of the DTS 292hp version and 271hp CXS show that the performance is similar enough that you can't really tell the difference between the two motors.

Suede seat and door panel inserts and some plastic silver trim in the center stack don't necessarily make a "Super" model in my mind.

Finally....while the leather-stitched dash is nice, I wonder how that will mesh with the large swath of hard plastic that makes up the rest of the dashboard?

I agree on the engine. The "6%" increase in horsepower is unimpressive. The noted decrease in torque is downright disappointing.

The grille's not great, but it could be worse. Love the interior details. The silver nav/HVAC is a welcome change from black.

...This coming from a guy who owns a car with a "silver" center stack. :P

Exterior: BLECH!

Interior: Not bad. The Silver color, although still cheap looking, makes the center stack look like it actually belongs in the car and not added at the last minute like the current one does.

+1

The grille makes the front of the car look too heavy...

The Lucerne already was a bit front heavy, now it's over the top... Poor Buick, they need new models FAST!

I wonder of the length went up slightly on Lucerne and La Crosse. They both appear longer because of the front ends.

To me that Lucerne and LaCrosse seem too close to each other now in length, V8's, and more. You could combine these two into one car really.....

They did get the grille right based on Velite.

Posted Image

Disappointment--the one word I'd sum the Lucerne Super up with. From the ugly grille to the putrid wood, I am not impressed at all. And a slight bump in HP that comes at the expense of torque? I think I'll pass.

I actually...like it. :o I really like it, even the out of place grill. For some reason it just looks good to me. For all the people who don't like it (basically everyone), I think it will look much MUCH better in person, but have absolutely no proof of that. Just a feeling.

Edited by corvette_dude729

Oh man, they took a handsome car and made it hideous. The nose was my least favorite part of the Lucerne but it was alright...but now it looks awful...like they let the G6 GXP front-end "designers" have their way with it. It's especially horrid in the first pic, but it's bad in all of them. They could have given it the LaCrosse's grill and it would have looked OK. The interior looks much better now...although it's still stuck with the ugly steering wheel. At least Buick finally has real wood in one of its cars...took them long enough. Congrats Buick, Hyundai now has a nicer looking car than you.

Edited by Dodgefan

It's really sad about this car and Buick as a whole. The interior looks better, but if the spyshots we've seen on the Genesis' interior are any indication, it's going to blow the Lucerne out of the water. On top of that, it's V8 will make "well over 300 horsepower" and will have a 6-speed automatic...and it's RWD....the replacement for the Lucerne can't come soon enough.

Edited by Dodgefan

Can't wait for all this mid/full size FWD crap to die.

Zeta is going to be the 2nd coming of the GM full size sedan.

It's really sad about this car and Buick as a whole. The interior looks better, but if the spyshots we've seen on the Genesis' interior are any indication, it's going to blow the Lucerne out of the water. On top of that, it's V8 will make "well over 300 horsepower" and will have a 6-speed automatic...and it's RWD....the replacement for the Lucerne can't come soon enough.

If you believe a Hyundai press release that much, I have a bridge for you.

I think the old grill is better & previous interior was fine; otherwise, I can only hope Buick finally figured out a way to better isolate the growly/gruff engine noise & vibration better than in the earlier models. Then it would be TRULY QUIET-TUNED luxurious!

Edited by LucerneOwner