So it's...OK-ish. Pretty much what it was expected to be. The roof is pretty cool anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The "Sky Slider" roof:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The interior is...well....yea.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

It has this trunk in the trunk thing that is sort of interesting.

Posted Image

Power outlet in the back.

Posted Image

The sport model doesn't have those terrible gray plastic fenders or bumpers anymore. A lesson I'm sure they learned with the Nitro.

Posted Image

2008 Jeep® Liberty – All-new From the Ground Up

--- All-new 2008 Jeep® Liberty remains true to its legendary 4x4 heritage

--- Improved on-road ride and handling with new independent front and new five-link rear suspension systems

--- All-new Jeep classic exterior styling, functional interior space and upgraded amenities designed to broaden its appeal to consumers

--- Industry-exclusive Sky Slider™ full-open canvas roof

The Jeep® Liberty has remained a leader in the mid-size sport-utility vehicle (SUV) market since its introduction in 2002. The popular mid-size SUV gives off-road enthusiasts and owners their own sense of personal freedom and capability that only defines the Jeep brand.

All-new from the ground up for 2008, the Jeep Liberty remains true to its legendary 4x4 heritage by offering two Jeep Trail Rated® four-wheel-drive systems – Command-Trac® and the all-new Selec-Trac® II. On-road ride and handling have been improved and refined with the new independent front suspension, new five-link rear suspension and rack-and-pinion steering.

The Liberty’s exterior has been redesigned, and takes on a more rugged, classic Jeep look that is sure to captivate the attention of current Jeep Liberty owners and broaden its consumer appeal. Inside, cargo and storage space increases and seat comfort improves. Making its world debut is the new Sky Slider™ full-open canvas roof, an industry-exclusive; giving the Jeep Liberty that “Only in a Jeep” open-air experience. Remote start, rain-sensing wipers, memory seats and mirrors, and express up/down windows are added to the vehicle’s ever-growing list of available features and options. There are two models – Jeep Liberty Sport and Jeep Liberty Limited.

“The all-new 2008 Jeep Liberty stands out from the competition by offering customers classic Jeep design, two four-wheel-drive systems, refined on-road ride and handling, cargo and utility, as well as features that are not typically found on vehicles in the mid-size SUV segment,” said George Murphy, Senior Vice President – Global Marketing, Chrysler Group.

The all-new Jeep Liberty is designed to appeal to customers who are looking for Jeep 4x4 capability as well as comfort and convenience. It is targeted to young couples and new families, as well as professional, young single men and women between 30 and 40 years of age, balanced male to female. Jeep Liberty owners will balance day-to-day responsibilities with their passion for adventure as well as the outdoors. They are athletic, and pursue activities that combine their various interests with their active lifestyle. The Jeep Liberty will be available at Jeep dealerships starting in the third quarter of 2007.

Engineering

The all-new 2008 Jeep Liberty offers a balance of off-road capability and on-road refinement.

--- All-new independent front suspension, all-new five-link rear suspension, and a power rack-and-pinion steering system contribute to the all-new 2008 Jeep Liberty’s blend of on-road ride comfort and nimble, confidence-inspiring handling

--- Two four-wheel-drive systems – all-new Selec-Trac II, full-time four-wheel-drive system and Command-Trac, a part-time four-wheel-drive system – both are Jeep Trail Rated

--- The 3.7-liter SOHC V-6 engine provides the 2008 Jeep Liberty with competitive peak power and torque while providing smooth, quiet operation and proven durability. It produces 210 hp (157 kW) @ 5,200 rpm and 235 lb.-ft. (319 N•m) of torque @ 4,000 rpm. Fuel economy has been improved and now achieves an estimated *16 city (18 mpg using 2007 EPA standards), and *22 mpg on the highway (23 mpg based on 2007 EPA standards).

--- Two transmissions are offered on the Jeep Liberty in the United States: a six-speed manual transmission and a four-speed automatic transmission

--- The 2008 Jeep Liberty was designed and engineered under the Chrysler Development System (CDS), the comprehensive, coordinated and disciplined product creation process that improves quality and speed-to-market while reducing costs and encouraging practical innovation in new products

Design

In its first redesign since its introduction, the all-new 2008 Jeep Liberty embraces its roots by taking on a more rugged, classic Jeep design that is guaranteed to strengthen its draw to current owners and broaden its appeal to a new audience.

--- Jeep classic exterior styling and functional interior space are designed to broaden its consumer appeal

--- Industry-exclusive Sky Slider full-open canvas roof brings “Only in a Jeep” open-air experience to mid-size SUV market

--- Cargo capacity increases and front and rear passengers will notice the improved seat comfort along with added space

Safety and Security

The 2008 Jeep Liberty has a full range of active and passive safety systems. Among the vehicle’s standard equipment are Electronic Stability Program, Electronic Roll Mitigation, All-speed Traction Control, Brake Assist, advanced anti-lock brakes, rain sensing wipers, Tire Pressure Monitoring, and side-curtain air bags.

Technology

The 2008 Jeep Liberty offers the MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System™ a completely integrated audio, navigation, entertainment and hands-free communication system. MyGIG allows customers to use touch screen or voice commands to control features, and includes a 20-gigabyte hard drive where music and photos can be stored. The system also includes a voice-memo recorder feature. MyGIG supports real-time traffic information, available through SIRIUS Satellite Radio, and can provide an alternate drive route based on traffic conditions. All of these functions can be controlled through voice commands and by utilizing a touch screen.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio provides U.S. customers with 130 channels, including 100 percent commercial-free music, sports, news, talk, entertainment, traffic and weather. And the UConnect® hands-free communication system uses Bluetooth® technology to provide wireless communication between the customer’s compatible mobile phone and the vehicle’s on-board receiver.

Manufacturing

The 2008 Jeep Liberty will be built using Chrysler Group’s modern production process, called the Flexible Manufacturing Strategy (FMS). FMS allows multiple products to be produced at one plant in a time-efficient manner that are a higher quality for lower cost. At the core of the new manufacturing process is the heavy use of robots at the Toledo (Ohio) North Assembly Plant.

The Jeep Brand

Today, with the all-new 2008 Jeep Liberty mid-size SUV, Jeep offers customers the freshest, most capable and widest range of sport-utility vehicles under one brand in the industry.

The Jeep vehicle family consists of seven SUVs that represent four distinct vehicle segments. In late 2006, production began on the newest member of the lineup, the all-new Jeep Patriot. Earlier that year was the debut of the redesigned Jeep Wrangler two-door, the icon of the brand; the all-new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, the first-ever four-door Wrangler; and the all-new Jeep Compass. The Jeep Commander – the first Jeep vehicle with seven-passenger seating – was introduced one year earlier. It shares its platform with the Grand Cherokee, a descendent of the Wagoneer and the legendary Grand Wagoneer.

So, wait... is this the mini Commander? And that interior... is it a Nitro? A Compass? The new Liberty? THEY'RE ALL THE SAME. I mean, seriously, no difference at all.

And that skylight thing... uh, nice how the entire thing opens up, but it unravels into the front, so the driver and front passenger, sitting in two of the most occupied seats, would not be able to enjoy the skylight above them. Cool.

And that skylight thing... uh, nice how the entire thing opens up, but it unravels into the front, so the driver and front passenger, sitting in two of the most occupied seats, would not be able to enjoy the skylight above them. Cool.

I think you missed a photo...

So, wait... is this the mini Commander? And that interior... is it a Nitro? A Compass? The new Liberty? THEY'RE ALL THE SAME. I mean, seriously, no difference at all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please explain how the interior is anything but low-rent.

I just thought it was funny that it was in the first reply (in the DCX section before threads were merged). Then I decided to check out it's competition, and realized that it actually looks pretty good compared to:

the FJ Cruiser:

Posted Image

and the Nissan Xterra:

Posted Image

Explain to me how the competition is any better?

First thing that came to mind... we have a smiley that looks just like this new Liberty: :omfg:

I like that canvas roof, one of the great things about the Wrangler is its open-air freedom, and this seems a good compromise to try to spread that attitude.

The interior has lost its class, at least at first blush. I've been a fan of the Liberty's interior up to now, I'll have to see it in person.

Shameful that the 4.0L is not on the options list so far... and that diesel needs to come back to the USA.

While some of the special editions of the Liberty have been borderline tacky, I thought the Renegade without the roof lightbar was sort of cool. Maybe a year or two into this redesign we'll see something like that again.

The only color that matters... how does it look in green?

It went from disgusting, to lets just keep it disgusting. The Liberty is a pretty pointless Jeep and always has been, but they seem to sell alot of them. They've jumped on the fender vent wagon too, oh will it ever end. Pretty soon the most economical cars in everyones lineup will have them in the future.

Okay, I take it back, the skylight is more amusing now. And yes, not sure how that picture didn't show up for me first.

But a new thing to bitch about... why is EVERYONE putting vents in the fenders?!

It went from disgusting, to lets just keep it disgusting. The Liberty is a pretty pointless Jeep and always has been, but they seem to sell alot of them.

Then it's not so pointless now is it?

Seriously.

I think proportionally it looks great...I think they could shrink the headlights a bit but overall it has a very nice exterior...the interior...well...yeah.

The dash is 80% of what you'll find in the Nitro, with a different guage cluster, at least the door panels are different...so it's not identical.

I wonder if the materials are any better?

For Comparison:

Nitro Interior

Posted Image

Liberty Interior

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest YellowJacket894

Yeah, this isn't a XJ Cherokee and will never be. You know, the more I think about it, the more I hate the fact that Jeep just keeps repetitively ripping off that model -- first the Commander then the Patriot and now this. And they'll never be able to regain what magic the old XJ had, face it.

Self-plagiarism is just sad, you know? Like hearing a band record the pretty much same song over and over again, only with a new guitar solo. It's boring. I hate to say it, but, yeah. Jeep is, for the most part right now, very boring. When the original Liberty came out, sure it had a cute face, but at least it tried to be different from the XJ it was replacing. Now look at the new one; it's another model in Jeep's XJ-rip-off series.

And, for God's sake DCX, please give each of your brands unique interior styling. I don't know if I'm looking at an Avenger or a Dakota here. (Oh $h!. It's a Jeep right?)

Yeah, this isn't a XJ Cherokee and will never be. You know, the more I think about it, the more I hate the fact that Jeep just keeps repetitively ripping off that model -- first the Commander then the Patriot and now this. And they'll never be able to regain what magic the old XJ had, face it.

Self-plagiarism is just sad, you know? Like hearing a band record the pretty much same song over and over again, only with a new guitar solo. It's boring. I hate to say it, but, yeah. Jeep is, for the most part right now, very boring. When the original Liberty came out, sure it had a cute face, but at least it tried to be different from the XJ it was replacing. Now look at the new one; it's another model in Jeep's XJ-rip-off series.

And, for God's sake DCX, please give each of your brands unique interior styling. I don't know if I'm looking at an Avenger or a Dakota here. (Oh $h!. It's a Jeep right?)

If you can't tell the difference between the Avenger and the Dakota than maybe you should get you eyes checked. :P

Avenger

Posted Image

Dakota

Posted Image

This "same/similar interior" thing isn't much different than the fact that GM uses the same dash in the Avalanche, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, and uplevel models of the Silverado/Sierra. The difference is that they're good interiors, and I will give them that..but why can't they come up with something different from the GMC vehicles? Although, at least they aren't gray in all their photos like the DCX vehicles seem to be.

Wanna talk similar designs? Tahoe interior VS Lucerne interior...the look pretty dammed similar.

Edited by Dodgefan

The interior is alright but that front end is not good looking, IMO. I never really liked the Liberty to begin with but it did look somewhat cool with the Renegade model with the lightbar in green.

The exterior, aside from the headlights, is fine. The interior on the other hand, well, it sucks.

This "same/similar interior" thing isn't much different than the fact that GM uses the same dash in the Avalanche, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, and uplevel models of the Silverado/Sierra. The difference is that they're good interiors, and I will give them that..but why can't they come up with something different from the GMC vehicles? Although, at least they aren't gray in all their photos like the DCX vehicles seem to be.

As you said the difference is that they're good. If the Nitro had a good interior I'd be happy if the Liberty had the same one. The Escalade is at least differeniated from the other T900s, and much more so than the Aspen is from the Durango.

Did you take those, Chris? They look great. I still dislike the headlights and the interior, but the rest seems fine, and it has some cool features it seems. The profile is more Nitro than I first noticed (painted C-pillar, squared off wheel flares), but it's fine.

And yes, the umbrella in the roof is funny. Why didn't they just close the roof?

Did you take those, Chris? They look great. I still dislike the headlights and the interior, but the rest seems fine, and it has some cool features it seems. The profile is more Nitro than I first noticed (painted C-pillar, squared off wheel flares), but it's fine.

And yes, the umbrella in the roof is funny. Why didn't they just close the roof?

Nope those are from Autodeadline. Im not in attendance for this show. Though from what Im hearing, I now wish I was.

I think they were trying to make a point....

I think they were trying to make a point....

Yeah, but they could have taken advantage of the rain, and been like "You can enjoy the sun one minute, and keep the nasty weather out the next." Of course, that would have involved not following a script, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Two thoughts...

1. The Liberty will no longer be purchased in droves by women, as it is no longer cute. At least, that's my theory. I suppose that's why the compass exists.

2. The proportions are identical to the Dodge Nitro, enough so that I can immediately tell that it's a platform mate. I believe this is a first for Jeep.

Posted Image

I think the front fascia is growing on me...it looks pretty good in that photo.

Remember that even though the Nitro and Liberty do look somewhat similar, the Liberty has a trailer roof than the Nitro...they didn't just slap a Jeep front end and sqaured off fenders on it.

Edited by Dodgefan

I don't see how some people think the old Liberty interior is better. Maybe because of all round components?? Everybody here seems to hate angular things.

I think it's definitely an improvement.

The new one is definitely better, but they both suck and it's not much of an improvement. Hell, the materials could very well be worse.

I just thought it was funny that it was in the first reply (in the DCX section before threads were merged). Then I decided to check out it's competition, and realized that it actually looks pretty good compared to:

the FJ Cruiser:

Posted Image

and the Nissan Xterra:

Posted Image

Explain to me how the competition is any better?

First of all, each utilizes vastly superior plastics and materials (even if it's hard plastic) that what DCX has been putting in any of its new interiors. For me, I hate the blocky, unimaginative design of the Nitro, Liberty, and Caliber-triplets. Although, at least the contrasting colors in the grey interior seem to break up a bit of the monotony a little better....

Also, I don't like the Commander-esque front end. I much preferred the "cute" look of the old Liberty's round headlights.

Other than that, it looks nice on the outside......and I'm glad to see the Liberty retain it's truck-ish roots....so that it can actually do a decent job off-road.

I don't see how some people think the old Liberty interior is better. Maybe because of all round components?? Everybody here seems to hate angular things.

I think it's definitely an improvement.

I had two of the old Libertys.....and I like the old interior WAY better.

First of all.....to continue to :deadhorse: the old one had hard plastic that had a way more attractive look and feel. Materials were simply way better than what DCX is using now in what appears to me to be a major cost-cutting move with suppliers.

In fact, I like the old Liberty in general way better than this one.....although the wheelbase stretch does add some needed room.

new Liberty interior=strike out

new Liberty exterior=solid triple. it's a good look on a small truck. the commander couldn't pull this off because the headlights have to be annoyingly large on such a big truck [since they went with the big headlight look], and they look frumpy on the big truck, again due to thier size, even though it's not a bad look; also commander proportions suck, whereas these are great, and the rear was really badly done on commander, not here. It's a nice little classic that should work well in this category. In this category, that stands out.

The new Liberty is looking decent. It's taking me some time to get that new front end down as I didn't like the commander all that much. Right now I think the Patriot is the best Jeep looker out there right now. Interior wise, if they would stop using the down market looking grey, it'd look a lot more inviting. Curiously I'm having flash backs to the original Cherokee when I see the new liberty interior, even though they don't share anything alike...must be the angular lines mentioned earlier.

Not bad...but it's not good either. It's just kinda there.

The new Liberty is looking decent. It's taking me some time to get that new front end down as I didn't like the commander all that much. Right now I think the Patriot is the best Jeep looker out there right now. Interior wise, if they would stop using the down market looking grey, it'd look a lot more inviting. Curiously I'm having flash backs to the original Cherokee when I see the new liberty interior, even though they don't share anything alike...must be the angular lines mentioned earlier.

Not bad...but it's not good either. It's just kinda there.

What about the wrangler? Now that I think is the best looking Jeep, ever.

Posted Image

previous poster beat me to the notion of this liberty no longer being a chick car and perhaps that's why we have the compass. At least this Liberty looks pleasantly macho and not at all cute like the last Liberty (Jeep's interpretation of a menstrual cycle).

Perhaps the Liberty won't have the cool factor the Nitro might have cruising up and down the Virginia Beach strip, but at least the interior is subtly improved over the Nitro enough so that it will be tolerable on the morning commute. There is just enough different that it doesn't appear to be cheeseball and its an improvement over the chick car interior of the previous Liberty.

I actually do like most of what Jeep has done lately excepting their penchant for bad plastics. I do really think the Commander is neat, even if it can use improvement. The compass is bad, but the patriot seems a bit nicer. The GC and wrangler are bang up.

BTW, the FJ Cruiser easily has the worst interior I think I've seen recently on a production vehicle....but the Xterras is well done....basic and purposeful.

Jeep schmeep anyways. The H3 is what i would get in lieu of any Jeep.

Edited by regfootball