Dodge Hornet a Go

Dodge Hornet gets the go-ahead
Posted Image
Link to Original Article @ AutoCar

Chrysler will shortly announce that it is going ahead with the launch of its Dodge Hornet supermini, which it will develop in collaboration with Chinese company Chery.

The car could be revealed in close-to-production guise at this autumn’s Frankfurt motor show. The Hornet was first shown as a concept at the Geneva motor show in 2006, where it was widely admired for its tough-looking style.

Chrysler plans to enter the crowded European supermini segment with the one range, resisting the temptation to launch a Chrysler-branded version alongside, as it has done with the Mondeo-class Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring.

The Hornet’s arrival is part of a three billion dollar product renewal programme for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep that will roll out over the next three years. This is, in fact, the very plan that Chrysler had in place before it separated from Daimler – according to its international sales and marketing director Michael Manley, this plan is now ‘confirmed’ following Cerberus’s acquisition of the company.

cool.....better have a diesel opt.

size wise... will it be kinda a 2+2? ... is that kinda what the mini is?

looks like the rear door is the same idea as the ion quad coupe and the 1/2 door the rx-8 has/had

That sucks. Why colaborate with the Chinese? <_<

That sucks. Why colaborate with the Chinese? <_<

The same three reasons every other automotive company, including GM, are colaborating: cheap labor, an already built factory, and did I already say cheap labor? With small cars like this, in order for Chrysler to make profit, it has to be built in a country where labor costs are very low. China still fits that bill. On top of that, Chrysler has very few, if any production facilities in Asia. Now that Daimler is no longer footing the bill or sharing any of their facilities, the fastest way to get this vehicle up and running is to do a joint venture with a Chinese company such as Chery. GM did it when it first introduced Buick back in the 90s with Shanghi automotive.

Guest YellowJacket894

I don't know why, but I smell the equivalent of a modern day Yugo brewin'. Hope the back window defroster can keep the owner's hands warm in the winter.

As long as Chrysler leads the way with the engineering, and Chery is really only there for cheap assembly purposes, I see no issue with this car. Looks plenty fun, more like it's aimed at the Mini instead of the Yaris, Fit or Aveo.

Gee...hope it crashes better than the last Cherry tested in Europe... Not good. I thought only the Japanese practiced Oragami...I guess the Chinese do it with cars instead of paper!

See it here versus the Chevy that they copied: http://paultan.org/archives/2006/02/18/chery-qq-crash-test/

Good luck Dodge. I agree with the decision. You HAVE to have product at the low price point, and in today's world, that means manufacturing where you can meet that price. If Dodge did not do it, somebody else would. The new world order is made up of manufacturers working all over the world to meet market demads. Just the way it is now. Embrace it or die.

Edited by toesuf94

Judging by most other China made junk that gets thrown out before it's even a year old, I would wholeheartedly have to disagree with both of you.

Do you own an MP3 player? My iPod is made in China and is almost two years old, and I have yet to throw it out. Yes China makes crap... but that is when it is overseen by Chinese companies.

When the manufacturing is overseen and governed by a Western company, such as Apple, or in this case, Chrysler, the product will be up to the same standards as one built on North America.

I take it Chrysler hopes this will compete with the Mini as in being a sporty, fun to drive little car? Let's see how the finished product turns out, but I can already say I like the Mini's styling better.

Uh-oh.

I'm having Dodge Neon flashbacks....

Engine problems...cars that start to rust before you even pay it off (or finish leasing). :rolleyes:

I'd have to disagree with YJ though.

I'm thinking more Pinto than Yugo....

Or since we're on a GM board, Vega...:)

I'm on Neon #2; so far, the worst problem I've had with either is a stuck thermostat.

Nintendo builds all its game systems in China, and has for many years now. They are generally known for having the most durable products in the video game industry. (For instance, I dare you to find a way to break a Game Boy short of snapping it in half.)

Microsoft, on the other hand, builds all its Xbox hardware in Mexico. At least until very recently, Xbox 360s were some of the most problem-packed units on the market.

You decide where better stuff comes from...

Or since we're on a GM board, Vega...:)

I'm on Neon #2; so far, the worst problem I've had with either is a stuck thermostat.

Yeah, Yeah...GM stuff too....

We had a 95 Neon-that thing had every problem under the sun...I just wanted to set it on fire and roll it off a cliff.... :thumbsup:

Also depends on the Neon-these cars really didn't become problem free until 2002..ones built after seem to be holding up pretty well...

Nintendo builds all its game systems in China, and has for many years now. They are generally known for having the most durable products in the video game industry. (For instance, I dare you to find a way to break a Game Boy short of snapping it in half.)

Microsoft, on the other hand, builds all its Xbox hardware in Mexico. At least until very recently, Xbox 360s were some of the most problem-packed units on the market.

You decide where better stuff comes from...

My original GameBoy broke, and I never even dropped it. :cry: However, it was one of the original GameBoys, and was probably even made in Japan.

I kind of liked this concept until I read this part:

Chrysler will shortly announce that it is going ahead with the launch of its Dodge Hornet supermini, which it will develop in collaboration with Chinese company Chery.

That was a total deal breaker for me.

Amen

Do you own an MP3 player? My iPod is made in China and is almost two years old, and I have yet to throw it out. Yes China makes crap... but that is when it is overseen by Chinese companies.

When the manufacturing is overseen and governed by a Western company, such as Apple, or in this case, Chrysler, the product will be up to the same standards as one built on North America.

It's also a moral issue. It just sucks that the auto industry is coming to this, and unfortunatly as they continue to swap back and forth with China, Toyota will truly be more american than the domestics.

It's also a moral issue. It just sucks that the auto industry is coming to this, and unfortunatly as they continue to swap back and forth with China, Toyota will truly be more american than the domestics.

Well, yes... but Chrysler is hurting right now... and a good chunk of their sucky situation is due to the UAW/CAW. Now, if they were to magically diasppear...

So what am I supposed to do as a consumer: ignore all the wretched garbage I've tossed stamped Made in China, take my $1x,xxx hard-earned dollars and go research whether Dodge or the chinese were responsible for whathaveyou major components, then Spin the Big Wheel and hope for the best with the Hornet?? No thank you- the risk is far too high (based on reams of personal experience).

And I submit that a motor vehicle is far more complex and had far more room for awful asssembly work that a palm-sized software case (MP3 player).