Official GTR pics and part of specs Released!

Z-06

Linkity

Linkity 2

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — The wait is over. Undisguised 2009 Nissan GT-R photos have now become available prior to the car's official debut at the 2007 Tokyo Auto Show.

Numerous GT-R prototypes have been caught testing around the world, including at Germany's Nürburgring and California's Laguna Seca Raceway, but this is the first look at the rocket coupe's completely undisguised sheet metal.

Official specifications aren't expected to be announced until Nissan's Tokyo show press conference on October 24, but months of spy intelligence suggest the all-wheel-drive 2009 GT-R will get a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V6 that produces approximately 450 horsepower.

Nissan says the GT-R will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, finish the quarter-mile in 11.7 seconds and reach a top speed of 192 mph. Base price is expected to be less than $80,000.

If true, the GT-R will be serious competition for the Porsche 911 Turbo, which it has been routinely seen testing alongside.

What this means to you: It's here. And it's hot. >>> Yeah Right!

This car looks awesome...I have always loved the GTR...I only wish the US bound car would be called Skyline GTR. From what I can tell the design is exactly the same except the black detailing under the headlights is gone.

I don't care for the interior's design...it looks sort of block in a Dodge truck sort of way...but who the hell cares when the car looks this good and will no doubt be an excellent performer.

Edited by Dodgefan

Exterior is kind of mean. Interior is 70's Japanese Junk... I guess they think original Japanese design has graduated to more than that, but I think they're wrong. I am sure it will be a good performer, as per its bloodline.

its decent looking... and the numbers look good as far as performance... but the side profile creeps me out... it looks to be rising to the front... which is the direct opposite of what you want to do... unless this car is specifically designed to be lightning fast in reverse... who knows...

as was said above... for that kind of money... the Z06 wins

Am I the only one that actually likes it?

Personally, I think that they normalized the front end a little too much; I liked the proto's nose better, but it's not anything I can't overlook. I think it's pretty damn HOT. (but then [skyline] GTR's have always been my guilty pleasure.)

There's a guy down the street from me who has a garage that deals strictly with G35/350zs. This car looks like one of his 350zs with a whole bunch of cheap-ass, poorly designed spoilers, wings and bad front and rear bumpers. To those that see something nice here, I am definitely looking at a different car. The only thing I can figure is that you are blinded by the history of the GT-R and the performance. This thing is not going to win any design awards. Yuck.

The last generation Impala called, it wants it's tail lights back! :smilewide:

No they didn't. Because they had a line of other Skylines calling before they could free up the line to call out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Am I the only one that actually likes it?

Personally, I think that they normalized the front end a little too much; I liked the proto's nose better, but it's not anything I can't overlook. I think it's pretty damn HOT. (but then [skyline] GTR's have always been my guilty pleasure.)

You're not alone. I like it too, nice evolution of the R34.

Interior reminds me of the old Pontiac silliness, which isn't a bad thing if done correctly.

Edited by ToniCipriani

• 4 weeks later...

It's a bit over the top with the techno/transformer look. Straight lines and odd angles. I think they should have actually toned it down some. And that black grille area still ruins it.

But that being said, it does look the part. If only that grille wasn't so gaudy.

Posted Image

I saw it at the Auto Show today....

Yes, the fanboys bust nuts all over it...

But with good reason. Those pictures do it zero justice. That car is a cold blooded murderer.

GM and Ford are on notice. And warmed over versions of Corvettes and Mustangs (while not slouches) won't be what does it.

Nothing less than a reimagined GTO and RS200-type car will capture the people's imagination the world over like that car.

The GT-R shouldn't be weighed down with the Skyline name baggage, because it is clearly something completely different. Skylines of the past may have inspired Nissan to go all out, but that's about it. This car is a whole new strain, for real.

Pontiac (not Chevy or Cadillac) and Ford should be cooking up the heat yesterday.

i get an old s-10 vibe from the upper part of the dash and that is so desirable in a performance car ya know

Who gives a rat's ass what the interior looks like so long as it's functional and the car has the performance to match it's specs and looks.

That said, it does look 80's/90's in overall design.

I don't think the outside is anything special, and the interior is horrible IMO. For those who say "Who cares about the interior?", well, you use cars to drive--and do you drive from the outside or the inside? A nice interior invites someone in, and makes them feel at home. This is just, well, 1990's.

I think one can come up with a lot not to like when they really don't want to like the car.

That's not to say certain touches couldn't have been executed better.

But then, I can't accuse C&G of objectivity.

No they didn't. Because they had a line of other Skylines calling before they could free up the line to call out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You're not alone. I like it too, nice evolution of the R34.

Interior reminds me of the old Pontiac silliness, which isn't a bad thing if done correctly.

Actually, a whole horde of Chevys from the 60s and 70s want their taillights back. :AH-HA_wink:

The black car in the second pic has taillights that are a dead ringer for a '73 Chevelle.

Why did Nissan make this thing so goofy to look at? I'm all for another powerful coupe being in the world, but this car is so gaudy and without any design cohesion.

Actually, a whole horde of Chevys from the 60s and 70s want their taillights back. :AH-HA_wink:

The black car in the second pic has taillights that are a dead ringer for a '73 Chevelle.

Why did Nissan make this thing so goofy to look at? I'm all for another powerful coupe being in the world, but this car is so gaudy and without any design cohesion.

This car was start of Japanese Pony car, what can you expect? Has Nissan come with anything original in automobiles?

This car was start of Japanese Pony car, what can you expect? Has Nissan come with anything original in automobiles?

Can a car that came in both 2- and 4-door variants (even a wagon with some generations) really be called a pony car?

And what makes you think that Chevy was the one who first came up with quad tails? The first one to use quad taillamps was the 1968 C10. That car was developed by Prince, which wasn't even sold here.

some people will do anything to knock a car that isn't GM...and claim that GM thought of everything...they invented the wheel, and gravity too after all. :P

And there are yet some that knock GM half to death also. Simply don't like anything, unless of course it's their dream car (real or fictitious)

If only more people could find a happy middle...you know, look at cars more objectively.

Not OMGXORZ IT HAS A WHEEL THAT IS SUCH A RIPPOFF OF [insert company name here]!!11 I AM T3H NUMBER 1 FANBOY AND EVERYTHING [said company] SAYS OR DO IS GAWD!11!1 OMG HAXX~~!!

Anyway, back to the GTR, I think its great that Nissan hasn't toned down the production version much from the concept...it looks best from the rear 3/4th to me, but I like it overall. The performance is sure to be mind blowing...can't wait for comparison tests.

Edited by Dodgefan