Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mule Bakersdozen LS

2009 Impala 50th Anniversary Edition

95 posts in this topic

Yes, yes, the Impala was launched in 1958 as a subseries of the topline Bel-Air in 2-door hardtop coupe and 2-door soft-top convertible body styles (the others were the Delray and Biscayne, which respectively replaced 150/210 for the one-year-only design, then Delray in name only was dropped and Biscayne and Bel-Air were downshifted to the previous levels), but it was 1959 when Impala displaced the Bel-Air as a series name, thus the 50th anniversary.

The Impala shown looked like it had 80U Red Jewel Tintcoat paint and it looks to be based on one of the LT trims with a FlexFuel V-6 (unless that's an Anniversary Edition Badge or such).

http://www.autodeadline.com/detail?source=...80&mime=JPG

Edited by Mule Bakersdozen LS

If this isn't THE best example of why a FWD Impala is just... not right, I don't know what is. GM has to be embarrassed by this. How is this car even remotely collectible? Who will care about it in 20 or 30 years? NOBODY.

Powers That Be at GM... look at this car with a straight face and say this is not a letdown. I dare you.

If this isn't THE best example of why a FWD Impala is just... not right, I don't know what is. GM has to be embarrassed by this. How is this car even remotely collectible? Who will care about it in 20 or 30 years? NOBODY.

Powers That Be at GM... look at this car with a straight face and say this is not a letdown. I dare you.

Agreed.

This thing is an absolute joke.

At least they could have pretended to make an effort and made the 50th anniv. model a special edition of the V8 SS...lame.

Case in Point that Bean Counters and Scroogie Middlemen still exist and decide in Lutz era.

A W-body with OHV V-6 and 4-speed automatic transmission. What an oxymoron for a vehicle that is 50 years old. If they would have resurrected the last RWD Impala even without any changes just to make this commemerative edition it would have still ended up as a collectible even now.

But what is going to make this edition any different? I mean, it has different wheels. A spoiler. That it?

OB gets it.... :yes:

Ohhh....I'd be willing to bet some will find it highly collectible, given its drivetrain and connection via the Impala name.

*shrugs*

But, that certainly is not me.

And, someone at GM/Ch#$r%*et must think it is worthwhile and not an embarrassment...........

right?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Action speaks louder than words" ... Black Crowes ... 'Hard To Handle'

What a joke. :nono:

Ohhh....I'd be willing to bet some will find it highly collectible, given its drivetrain and connection via the Impala name.

There probably is some insane nutjob who would, but his garage space could already be taken up by a Front-Wheel Drive Grand Prix with a detuned 5.3.

Edited by Captainbooyah

But what is going to make this edition any different? I mean, it has different wheels. A spoiler. That it?

For your viewing pleasure.

50thgv8.jpg

50th1vk9.jpg

50th3uw8.jpg

Two tone leather seating.

50th4jp6.jpg

18" wheels

50th5hg8.jpg

Based on the Impala LT, the anniversary model bundles FE3 sport suspension, four-wheel ABS, 18-inch tires and alloy wheels, rear spoiler, two-tone leather seats, ebony carpet and floor mats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and anniversary badging. Two exterior colors, black granite metallic and red jewel tintcoat, are available.

The standard engine is a 211-horsepower 3.5-liter V6.

Through all its various permutations since 1958, Impala has been a consistent best-seller for the brand. Through November, Impala sales are up more than 11 percent from 2006.

While I am a fan of rear wheel drive big sedans, my opinion means $h! to GM. To General Motors, its right if it sells. Apparently, this car is selling. I see them everywhere, in every trim level, and if PCS is correct (Diety help us!), then they got it right to the market. That's what they're in business for.

So, should GM offer two same-sized Chevrolets - the "Impala" in V6/FWD <W-body> format, and the "Caprice" in V8/RWD <Zeta> format???

What will be interesting to see is if the Malibu sales will steal away from the Impala at some point, negating the need for a FWD "Impala" and opening up the gates for a RWD "Impala/Caprice" to come aboard?

For your viewing pleasure.

50thgv8.jpg

50th1vk9.jpg

50th3uw8.jpg

Two tone leather seating.

50th4jp6.jpg

18" wheels

50th5hg8.jpg

Based on the Impala LT, the anniversary model bundles FE3 sport suspension, four-wheel ABS, 18-inch tires and alloy wheels, rear spoiler, two-tone leather seats, ebony carpet and floor mats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and anniversary badging. Two exterior colors, black granite metallic and red jewel tintcoat, are available.

The standard engine is a 211-horsepower 3.5-liter V6.

Through all its various permutations since 1958, Impala has been a consistent best-seller for the brand. Through November, Impala sales are up more than 11 percent from 2006.

Thank you.

Albeit looks more upscale, it's pathetic. Seriously? As others have said, forgettable.

I know it's little, but I still can't get over, we have a full-size car here, very popular, that still doesn't offer auto-climate control... when a car made by the same manufacturer, which is cheaper and smaller, has offered it in the past and present generations.

How is this car even remotely collectible? Who will care about it in 20 or 30 years? NOBODY.

Three most popular cars out of our 45-car inventory

-Charger

-Impala

-Magnum

GM did something right. Regardless of the FWDOMGness, its a good, solid car. People sometimes forget that higher-priced rear-wheel drive performance cars are out of the reach of many consumers and the Impala represents incredible value for the money.

Well, I am a fan of RWD for large cars, but every RWD car does not have to be a performance car. The 3.5L Charger is a sweet car, for example.

Three most popular cars out of our 45-car inventory

-Charger

*raises eyebrow*

Any inferno red Chargers with the DARK grey lower interior door panels, preferrably with the 3.5 V6, by chance?

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Hood slidin' like Bo Duke"...Dierks Bently...'What Was I Thinking?'

I wonder why GM even bothered? Even as basic as this "special" edition is, I'm sure it took more $$$$ to develop than they will ever get back out of it.

While I see many signs GM really is changing, it's very discouraging to see the same old GM shine through on something like this "special" edition. :(:thumbsdown:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0