Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

NY 2008 Preview: Production Pontiac ST pickup to appear

Our friends over at Pickuptruck.com have learned that Pontiac will debut a production-ready ST pickup at this year's New York Auto Show in late March. The Pontiac ST pickup is based on the Holden VE Ute that recently debuted in Australia, and since development of the vehicle consists mainly of grafting the Pontiac G8 front clip onto the Holden VE Ute, the business case for the vehicle is a no-brainer. What did stand between the Pontiac ST pickup and production was the U.S. exchange rate between the Australian and U.S. dollar, but apparently the difference isn't as bad as once thought and the price of the ST won't be out of reach for its target market. Pickuptruck.com also learned that, despite previous reports to the contrary, the Pontiac ST will be offered with a 256-HP V6, as well as a 361-HP V8. The reason is because plans for a Pontiac G8 Sportwagon that would have been powered by a V6 have been cancelled, so the Pontiac needs to offer both a V6 and a V8 for the ST pickup to balance out the effect it has on GM's CAFE rating.

Don't all these unibody pickups in GM's product plans get you thinking? If we were to consult some tea leaves, we might draw the conclusion that GM is considering transforming its small pickups into an all-unibody lineup. It's pure speculation on our part, but to debut two unibody trucks in one auto show season makes us go hmmm...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calm down, I can hear your screams of joy from all the way over here :P:D I have a feeling someone is looking up Amtrak train schedules.

This is good news. If GM throws their marketing muscle behind it and the G8 like they did for the Malibu, things might just be OK for Pontiac.

i like that we are getting this, but it is illogical we don't get the wagon also then. it can be argued that the wagon would have more sales potential. but i guess the ST is a truck, and can help GM's cafe in that area.

I welcome the truck, and refuse to believe the sportwagon is dead.

I wonder if my neighbor will trade his SSR for one of these.

Edited by regfootball

i like that we are getting this, but it is illogical we don't get the wagon also then. it can be argued that the wagon would have more sales potential. but i guess the ST is a truck, and can help GM's cafe in that area.

I welcome the truck, and refuse to believe the sportwagon is dead.

I wonder if my neighbor will trade his SSR for one of these.

It should help a bit.

I too have my suspicions that we haven't heard the last of a Zeta wagon.

The recently cancelled Pontiac G8 version of Holden's VE Sportwagon was only going to be available with a V6 for CAFE reasons, to offset the G8 ST’s V8 fuel economy rating.

GM's product planners really are idiots. No choice of transmission or engines -- then they're surprised when they have to resort to discounts to move the product.

GM's product planners really are idiots. No choice of transmission or engines -- then they're surprised when they have to resort to discounts to move the product.

Without the V8 option, the sportwagon would have faced a tough time gaining traction in the market.

I wonder how many STs will be V6 powered.

Without the V8 option, the sportwagon would have faced a tough time gaining traction in the market.

I wonder how many STs will be V6 powered.

The G8 ST was off the screen for me as a V8. I need a new daily driver and with gas prices as they are the V6 is waht I was looking at in the Camaro. Now with the V6 on the table with the G8 ST I may have to take a good look at it now.

This is replacing my Sonoma ZQ8. If I got a Camaro the Sonoma was going to stay as a hauler. Now if I get a ST I can sell it off. I really want a small truck but refuse the Colorado because cheap interior.

If this was a weekend toy it would be a V8 all the way.

I just have to have a limited slip diff for winter driving I have it in my present truck and it drives like a tank in the snow.

Besides I still miss my 1972 GMC Sprint SP.

The G8 ST was off the screen for me as a V8. I need a new daily driver and with gas prices as they are the V6 is waht I was looking at in the Camaro. Now with the V6 on the table with the G8 ST I may have to take a good look at it now.

This is replacing my Sonoma ZQ8. If I got a Camaro the Sonoma was going to stay as a hauler. Now if I get a ST I can sell it off. I really want a small truck but refuse the Colorado because cheap interior.

If this was a weekend toy it would be a V8 all the way.

I just have to have a limited slip diff for winter driving I have it in my present truck and it drives like a tank in the snow.

Besides I still miss my 1972 GMC Sprint SP.

I would do some pretty unsavory things to get my hands on a '72 Sprint SP!

Mine will be a V8 with a manual (and a GXP if possible). It will be a weekends plus driver.

Day to day, I have to use the Silverado.

Well, since I don't expect to see the G8 ST at my local-ish Denver Auto Show, I'll just have to be content to wait until these slick little haulers show up at the local dealer.

In any case, I'd wait to see if the GMC front clip (from the forthcoming Crewman) could be grafted on. That, along with some old-school Sprint SP badges, and I'd be set.

Why couldn't the Wagon come over classified as a truck?

IIRC, Subaru recently reclassified the former Legacy Outback as a truck.

2 things could be accomplished: CAFE increase (assuming V6/diesel/E85 engines) & a cool, limited production wagon (what the Magnum should have been).

Anyone know exactly why this couldn't be done?

2 things could be accomplished: CAFE increase (assuming V6/diesel/E85 engines) & a cool, limited production wagon (what the Magnum should have been).

The Magnum was also classified as a truck, I believe because of the flat load floor.

Very good question.

I think that there is more to the story.

The Magnum was also classified as a truck, I believe because of the flat load floor.

So there should be no reason the G8 SW could be too.

I find it hard to believe that these couldn't find 5-10k homes/yr. 5 series space, solid RWD perfomance at sub-1 series pricing---seems to be a no-brainer to me.

I haven't priced a G8, but I'm assuming that even with a modest premium, there could be a space for sub30k SWs.

Nah, that would make Pontiac relevant again as a source of unique performance.

Let's rebadge another Chevy for them! :rolleyes:

Because GME said NO! :AH-HA_wink:

I know the 4 door Crewman is going to be shown at Chicago, now I hear that the Ute may also only be shown in Chicago and not in NY. I also hear GM Bean Counters are looking at the pros and cons of bringing the Pontiac ST to the USA once again. Remember what happened when they looked at the Sportwagon? Just thought y'all should know so your not caught by the short hairs once again. :yes:

I know the 4 door Crewman is going to be shown at Chicago, now I hear that the Ute may also only be shown in Chicago and not in NY. I also hear GM Bean Counters are looking at the pros and cons of bringing the Pontiac ST to the USA once again. Remember what happened when they looked at the Sportwagon? Just thought y'all should know so your not caught by the short hairs once again. :yes:

Not worried.

I have it on good authority that the ST is happening. :AH-HA_wink:

Death to the beancounters!

Yes because it makes perfect sense to not sell a product people actually want. :rolleyes:

GM must have collective dementia. Dull Australian styling coupled with 2 seat impracticality wrapped up in a damaged brand not known for pickups is a recipe for failure. Who besides the cheap-beer swilling (not that that's a bad thing btw), tank-topped greasy hillbilly maxxed out on his limited credit will even care about such a beast?

Has GM ever heard of the Subaru Baja, which only sold 30,000 units in 4 years? How did its own 2 seat SSR do? Will this dog cannibalize Solstice sales? Is GM trying to kill Pontiac?

GM must have collective dementia. Dull Australian styling coupled with 2 seat impracticality wrapped up in a damaged brand not known for pickups is a recipe for failure. Who besides the cheap-beer swilling (not that that's a bad thing btw), tank-topped greasy hillbilly maxxed out on his limited credit will even care about such a beast?

Has GM ever heard of the Subaru Baja, which only sold 30,000 units in 4 years? How did its own 2 seat SSR do? Will this dog cannibalize Solstice sales? Is GM trying to kill Pontiac?

I see your point. Pontiac should eschew this, the G8, and the Solstice and dedicate itself to making FWD fleet specials. That'd be a much more successful strategy.

:retard:

I still think the sport wagon was cancelled for some other reason.

Maybe capacity?

Unless GM just got scared when Dodge cancelled the Magnum.

Maybe if the G8 and G8 ST do well, the sport wagon will be re-considered.

The wagon got cancelled because there is no market for it in the U.S. Wagons are all but extinct here, and I can see why. :puke:

Edited by jmsjags