Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intrepidation

NY 2008 Preview: Production Pontiac ST pickup to appear

162 posts in this topic

Our friends over at Pickuptruck.com have learned that Pontiac will debut a production-ready ST pickup at this year's New York Auto Show in late March. The Pontiac ST pickup is based on the Holden VE Ute that recently debuted in Australia, and since development of the vehicle consists mainly of grafting the Pontiac G8 front clip onto the Holden VE Ute, the business case for the vehicle is a no-brainer. What did stand between the Pontiac ST pickup and production was the U.S. exchange rate between the Australian and U.S. dollar, but apparently the difference isn't as bad as once thought and the price of the ST won't be out of reach for its target market. Pickuptruck.com also learned that, despite previous reports to the contrary, the Pontiac ST will be offered with a 256-HP V6, as well as a 361-HP V8. The reason is because plans for a Pontiac G8 Sportwagon that would have been powered by a V6 have been cancelled, so the Pontiac needs to offer both a V6 and a V8 for the ST pickup to balance out the effect it has on GM's CAFE rating.

Don't all these unibody pickups in GM's product plans get you thinking? If we were to consult some tea leaves, we might draw the conclusion that GM is considering transforming its small pickups into an all-unibody lineup. It's pure speculation on our part, but to debut two unibody trucks in one auto show season makes us go hmmm...

Calm down, I can hear your screams of joy from all the way over here :P:D I have a feeling someone is looking up Amtrak train schedules.

This is good news. If GM throws their marketing muscle behind it and the G8 like they did for the Malibu, things might just be OK for Pontiac.

The dates are posted in the lounge thread on the NY show,BV.

I'm not sure I want all of you guys to see me cry when I have to leave the building...

They'll never get the tongue marks off that car. :AH-HA_wink:

WAY COOL :o

The Ute is cheaper than a Commodore sedan in AU, I wonder what a V6 ST will be priced at? :scratchchin:

Edited by ocnblu

i like that we are getting this, but it is illogical we don't get the wagon also then. it can be argued that the wagon would have more sales potential. but i guess the ST is a truck, and can help GM's cafe in that area.

I welcome the truck, and refuse to believe the sportwagon is dead.

I wonder if my neighbor will trade his SSR for one of these.

Edited by regfootball

That plastic lower grille looks really cheep, I hope the production G8s don't have that. Chrome upper and lower grilles would look much better.

i like that we are getting this, but it is illogical we don't get the wagon also then. it can be argued that the wagon would have more sales potential. but i guess the ST is a truck, and can help GM's cafe in that area.

I welcome the truck, and refuse to believe the sportwagon is dead.

I wonder if my neighbor will trade his SSR for one of these.

It should help a bit.

I too have my suspicions that we haven't heard the last of a Zeta wagon.

The recently cancelled Pontiac G8 version of Holden's VE Sportwagon was only going to be available with a V6 for CAFE reasons, to offset the G8 ST’s V8 fuel economy rating.

GM's product planners really are idiots. No choice of transmission or engines -- then they're surprised when they have to resort to discounts to move the product.

GM's product planners really are idiots. No choice of transmission or engines -- then they're surprised when they have to resort to discounts to move the product.

Without the V8 option, the sportwagon would have faced a tough time gaining traction in the market.

I wonder how many STs will be V6 powered.

Without the V8 option, the sportwagon would have faced a tough time gaining traction in the market.

I wonder how many STs will be V6 powered.

The G8 ST was off the screen for me as a V8. I need a new daily driver and with gas prices as they are the V6 is waht I was looking at in the Camaro. Now with the V6 on the table with the G8 ST I may have to take a good look at it now.

This is replacing my Sonoma ZQ8. If I got a Camaro the Sonoma was going to stay as a hauler. Now if I get a ST I can sell it off. I really want a small truck but refuse the Colorado because cheap interior.

If this was a weekend toy it would be a V8 all the way.

I just have to have a limited slip diff for winter driving I have it in my present truck and it drives like a tank in the snow.

Besides I still miss my 1972 GMC Sprint SP.

The G8 ST was off the screen for me as a V8. I need a new daily driver and with gas prices as they are the V6 is waht I was looking at in the Camaro. Now with the V6 on the table with the G8 ST I may have to take a good look at it now.

This is replacing my Sonoma ZQ8. If I got a Camaro the Sonoma was going to stay as a hauler. Now if I get a ST I can sell it off. I really want a small truck but refuse the Colorado because cheap interior.

If this was a weekend toy it would be a V8 all the way.

I just have to have a limited slip diff for winter driving I have it in my present truck and it drives like a tank in the snow.

Besides I still miss my 1972 GMC Sprint SP.

I would do some pretty unsavory things to get my hands on a '72 Sprint SP!

Mine will be a V8 with a manual (and a GXP if possible). It will be a weekends plus driver.

Day to day, I have to use the Silverado.

I do wonder what options will be offerred, and the color will be a tough decision for me.

That plastic lower grille looks really cheep, I hope the production G8s don't have that. Chrome upper and lower grilles would look much better.

I don't think I'd want chrome down there - it could make the front look too busy.

You know... I might even go so far as to change what I do for a living and sell the Silverado if I had to to get this car.

no doubt now im gonna be at the show... Camino, ill follow the trail of drool to find you and the ST :P

no doubt now im gonna be at the show... Camino, ill follow the trail of drool to find you and the ST :P

Don't slip. :AH-HA_wink:

Alright, alright... maybe I'll go to NY this year... :AH-HA_wink:

I never thought I'd like it, but that pic posted on the first page is HOT!

Congrats Camino! I'd compare your excitement to my own if GM announced they were bringing over the Chinese Park Avenue.

Congrats again! :thumbsup:

Well, since I don't expect to see the G8 ST at my local-ish Denver Auto Show, I'll just have to be content to wait until these slick little haulers show up at the local dealer.

In any case, I'd wait to see if the GMC front clip (from the forthcoming Crewman) could be grafted on. That, along with some old-school Sprint SP badges, and I'd be set.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0