Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Did You All Turns Your Lights Off For 1 Hour At 8 PM Local Time?

i finally could use my new miller welder with out it bogging the grid down! You guys need to do that more often.

Edited by capriceman

I hope all the people that did this realized that they saved nothing in terms of impacting the climate.

Unless all the people that did this are served by diesel generators <unlikely>, simply turning off all electricity suddenly doesn't shut the power plant down. Most power plants operate by boiling water. Regardless of the fuel used to heat the water, the process is the same. If demand on a power station drops suddenly, the excess steam is vented out into the atmosphere. Power plant operators can scale back the amount of fuel being used, but it isn't an on/off type of situation. Water just takes a long time to heat up and cool off.

So yea.... nice thought, but no effect.

I actually would have participated, if I'd remembered.

I never even heard about it prior.

I hope all the people that did this realized that they saved nothing in terms of impacting the climate.

Unless all the people that did this are served by diesel generators <unlikely>, simply turning off all electricity suddenly doesn't shut the power plant down. Most power plants operate by boiling water. Regardless of the fuel used to heat the water, the process is the same. If demand on a power station drops suddenly, the excess steam is vented out into the atmosphere. Power plant operators can scale back the amount of fuel being used, but it isn't an on/off type of situation. Water just takes a long time to heat up and cool off.

So yea.... nice thought, but no effect.

you're a real debbie downer sometimes.

Since I was driving home at that time, I figure it wouldn't have been good an idea.

This was a nice thought but, getting people to reduce their energy use daily would have a greater impact. At least gimmcks like this do sometimes get people to thinking about reducing their energy usage.

No, because I thought it was totally stupid.

Did anyone in China or India turn off their lights? I doubt we helped much at all. Hell, even if all us North Americans installed those compact fluorescent lights, the pollution, and energy 'saved' would be wiped out by two medium sized coal power plants...

The type of power plant that China builds one of each week.

It was a big bust around here. Of all the skyscrapers downtown, only the CIBC building turned off most of its lights. The TD-Canada Trust tower was completely lit up like an Xmas tree. Predictably, many of the downtown residential towers with a high concentration of dykes/gays had most of their lights off. Welfare Villas (St. Jamestown: the world's tallest freestanding slum) had all their lights on. <_<

The CN Tower was black. The restaurant was having a candle lit dinner.

My lights were doused at 7:58, but then we were leaving anyway.

Edited by CARBIZ

Are you not the poster boy for alternative fuels and save the planet and such?

:rotflmao:

No wonder I was confused!

I believe in alternative fuel without doubt, but that's because it ticks me off that we are held hostage to oil and its unsavory purveyors. And because I want to keep larger, high performance cars around in decent quantity. The environmental benefits are simply a pleasant side-effect for me.

"Save the planet"?

The planet doesn't need saving, we do.

Like George Carlin says: when the planet is done with us, it will shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

For the record, I went out last night and left a couple lights on.