Just curious?

It seems that most everyone on this forum is from up North and East. Doesn't seem to be alot of you from the midwest or western half of the states. Am I wrong in that assumption? If not, why do you think so many are from the eastern half and the northern states? Strange?

SoCal here.....Orange County (duh....my name...duh.....LOL)

Been here for 9 1/2 years......

San Francisco for 2 years prior......

Philadelphia for 2 years prior to that......

Detroit for 2 years prior to that......

Flint for 5 years prior to that (GMI)

Born in Oklahoma City and grew up there and in Dallas. Lived short times as a kid in St. Louis and New Jersey (outside of NYC.)

I think alot of the volume we have from the midwest and east coast are due to the huge number of GM employees/plant employees/etc up in Michigan, the midwest, and the east coast.

Philly metro here!

Whereabouts?

When I was there, I lived up in Montgomery County between Landsale and Doylestown.....right off route 309 and route 63 (was that it...?)

Nice area, really nice area. But if I had to do it again, I'd live in Center City, or Manyunk.

Whereabouts?

When I was there, I lived up in Montgomery County between Landsale and Doylestown.....right off route 309 and route 63 (was that it...?)

Nice area, really nice area. But if I had to do it again, I'd live in Center City, or Manyunk.

I lived in Manayunk for a year.

It seems that most everyone on this forum is from up North and East. Doesn't seem to be alot of you from the midwest or western half of the states. Am I wrong in that assumption? If not, why do you think so many are from the eastern half and the northern states? Strange?

We're practically neighbors, I'm in Springgy, MO

SoCal here.....Orange County (duh....my name...duh.....LOL)

Been here for 9 1/2 years......

San Francisco for 2 years prior......

Philadelphia for 2 years prior to that......

Detroit for 2 years prior to that......

Flint for 5 years prior to that (GMI)

Born in Oklahoma City and grew up there and in Dallas. Lived short times as a kid in St. Louis and New Jersey (outside of NYC.)

I think alot of the volume we have from the midwest and east coast are due to the huge number of GM employees/plant employees/etc up in Michigan, the midwest, and the east coast.

Didn't think about the GM presence in the north, makes sense. And you're from the City?! So cool, I guess we are kind of spread all over. I love this forum, so glad I found you guys.

Don't forget the rather large number of Canadians too.

Yeah I noticed that. Some friends of mine are saving to move there so they can get married. We're wanting to move to maybe North Carolina or somewhere on the eastern coast after the kiddo is grown up and on his own.

I am 200 miles almost slightly North and mostly East of Chicago. I am in Dubuque Iowa where WI and IL all meet on the Mississippi. I was born here and raised here and lived in Denver for two summers back in the 70's to work, and North of Des Monies in Ames for 4 (going to school at Iowa State go Cyclones!) and came back. My wife was born in Cascade 20 miles SW of Dubuque a town of 2,500 and came to Dubuque for school (by then I was done back living at home with mom and dad) we met on a blind date the rest is history. My oldest son (18) GM car nut too, was born in Dubuque as was my daughter (15) born in Dubuque.

Edited by gm4life

I live in SoCal. It has been that way my entire life so far, and I plan to keep it that way.

I live in Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks which is basically right on the border of LA county and Ventura county. Best way to describe the location would be to say I am adjacent to Malibu.

We're practically neighbors, I'm in Springgy, MO

My dad was born and raised in FogeyField....! (LOL....that's what we called it....cause seemed to have lots of old people there.)

His side of the family all still live there.

It's a nice place......not too terribly exciting, but you do have SMSU there.....and it's cheap to live.....and you are really close to all the outdoor beauty of the Ozarks!

Didn't think about the GM presence in the north, makes sense. And you're from the City?! So cool, I guess we are kind of spread all over. I love this forum, so glad I found you guys.

I guess it's gotten alot better recently economy-wise. When I was growing up there, OKC was really hurting from the energy crisis/downturn. It was a depressing place back then.

Now, it seems to be booming alot more.....with lots of new activity in the downtown OKC area like the Bricktown area, the new stadium, etc.

A little trivia many of you may not realize.......

My mom (also born and raised in Oklahoma City) worked for the FAA before I was born in 1970. The FAA had a major facility at the Oklahoma City Will Rogers World Airport. AS some of you may know, DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth) airport was built in north Texas, I think, in 1974. Well, when my mom was working for the FAA in the mid-60's, the focus was to build the new airport at Oklahoma City instead of Dallas/Fort Worth. (At the time, the DFW airport was one of the most significant new airport projects in the world....and up until recently, was also the largest airport in the world in terms of area.)

This was significant because the FAA new that wherever this new airport was going to be built (OK? TX?) it would be one of the largest commercial and cargo hubs in the United States (as it is today.)

Oklahoma City was in the lead to get the airport. I forget now why Fort Worth won the contract (DFW is technically within the city limits of Fort Worth) but can you IMAGINE what would the OKC economy be like today, over 30 years later, had this huge economic engine been located in Oklahoma City? It was a defining economic decision in the day.....

:scratchchin:

I live in SoCal. It has been that way my entire life so far, and I plan to keep it that way.

I live in Westlake Village/Thousand Oaks which is basically right on the border of LA county and Ventura county. Best way to describe the location would be to say I am adjacent to Malibu.

Good way to explain.....and I'm in Aliso Viejo, which would be best described as being adjacent to Laguna Beach (actually some of my mail comes through with "Laguna Beach" on it.)

I'm 45 mins south of downtown Los Angeles, a bit over an hour south of West Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Santa Monica, and a bit over an hour north of downtown San Diego.

I am 200 miles almost slightly North and mostly East of Chicago. I am in Dubuque Iowa where WI and IL all meet on the Mississippi. I was born here and raised here and lived in Denver for two summers back in the 70's to work, and North of Des Monies in Ames for 4 (going to school at Iowa State go Cyclones!) and came back. My wife was born in Cascade 20 miles SW of Dubuque a town of 2,500 and came to Dubuque for school (by then I was done back living at home with mom and dad) we met on a blind date the rest is history. My oldest son (18) GM car nut too, was born in Dubuque as was my daughter (15) born in Dubuque.

Uh...."east of Chicago" would put you squarely in Lake Michigan......

:D

North Carolina! C'mon and raise up!

Take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo' hand

Spin it like a helicopter!

North Carolina! C'mon and raise up

This one's for you, uh-huh, this one's for who?

Us, us, us!

Petey Pablo: most underappreciated poet of our time, or most underappreciated poet of all time?

(The best part, for those who don't know, is that most of the places referenced in the song are all a bunch of boondock hick towns/counties, such as my old stompin' ground, Johnston County, or as my friend Jeff likes to call it "Raleigh's dirty little secret.")

Edited by Enzora

New Jersey here. Currently living in southern NJ (Burlington County) - for the past 6 years. Before that, I grew up in a suburb of Trenton (NJ's capital) in Mercer County. Been a NJ resident all of my life (33 years to date), and still feel the pain of that in my property taxes and auto insurance premiums :P

From California, where there are probably fewer GM fans per capita than elsewhere.

There are probably more GM fans than any of us realize here......maybe not current new-car consumers, but surely people like us that remember and appreciate the older stuff....!

Go to any of the numerous car shows that happen around here all the time and you see a WEALTH of wonderful old GM cars......

I'm from Iowa, and I think there are a couple other members here from Iowa as well.

One time there was a C&G member map, and the pins were pretty representative of the US population as a whole. Lots of people in the Northeast, California, and the Great Lakes states, and more sparsely but evenly spread around the rest of the country.

Edited by mustang84

Late to register. Seattle, WA (Bellevue, WA) here... but, like O.C., I'm a transplant. Born and raised in Dallas, TX. Moved to the Pac NW 7-8 years ago.

Something funny about this area with too much truth to it... How to know you're from the Pacific Northwest :)

That was good......

Here's ours......

http://www.city-data.com/forum/california/...fonia-when.html

I believe the lyric is "'round yo' head" not hand...

and my fav:

I'ma superstar, bought me a big ol' car

Four-point-six, seen it 'cause

Black with the bars on the front and back

and got a button in the middle, make the trunk go eh-eh

North Carolina! C'mon and raise up!

Take your shirt off, twist it 'round yo' hand

Spin it like a helicopter!

North Carolina! C'mon and raise up

This one's for you, uh-huh, this one's for who?

Us, us, us!

Petey Pablo: most underappreciated poet of our time, or most underappreciated poet of all time?

(The best part, for those who don't know, is that most of the places referenced in the song are all a bunch of boondock hick towns/counties, such as my old stompin' ground, Johnston County, or as my friend Jeff likes to call it "Raleigh's dirty little secret.")

Edited by Olds Guy

16. There is a Braums in every town with a population of 1,000 or more. :drool:

Braums?

LOL, LOL, LOL......

It's a great place to raise a family......it's clean, relatively-crime-free, cheap to live....but damn there is a serious lack of culture there. Before I left there, I never knew life existed past a strip mall or chain-restaurant.

I've never been anywhere else than Texas and Oklahoma where the "chain-restaurant-mall-store" ideal is more prevalent.

Here in CA, even in suburban O.C., we have a serious lack of chain stores. Oh we have the major ones, of course, your Olive Gardens, Chilis, Lowe's, and Home Depots......but I was shocked how many fewer we had here than where I grew up in TX and OK.

I'm inbetween Baltimore and DC myself, but come August I'll be moving to York, PA for college.

After that, I can't wait to have enough money to move to either San Francisco or Phoenix.

Edited by DetroitNut90