Chevy Aveo named Most Economical New Car

Hybrids great on gasoline savings but not expense, study finds

Based on $5-a-gallon fuel, Edmunds.com ranks the gas-only Chevrolet Aveo hatchback No. 1 in terms of total ownership cost. Honda's partly electric-powered Civic comes in 10th, while Toyota's Prius is 26th.

By Martin Zimmerman | Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 26, 2008

Beating out hybrids, the Honda Fit made it to the top of Consumer Reports' list of 10 most economical new cars. It ranked third on a similar list from Edmunds.com. (Honda)

Hybrids may be tops when it comes to saving gasoline, but they're far from the best choice for budget-conscious car buyers, a new study says.

The four-door hatchback Chevy Aveo from General Motors Corp. leads the ranking of the best new-car values in terms of "total ownership cost" as calculated by automotive data firm Edmunds.com, based on $5-a-gallon gas. The highest-ranked hybrid was the Honda Civic at No. 10. The Toyota Prius hybrid -- No. 1 in the government's fuel economy rankings -- came in 26th.

Hybrids, which are powered by both an electric motor and a gasoline engine, typically get better gas mileage than their non-hybrid counterparts but carry higher price tags.

A 2008 Aveo hatchback with manual transmission lists for $10,235 and is rated by the Environmental Protection Agency at 27 miles per gallon in combined city-highway driving. The Prius, by contrast, has a combined fuel economy of 46 mpg and a suggested retail price of $21,500 -- and typically sells for thousands of dollars above that because of high demand.

Related links

Edmunds.com's 10 most economical new cars Photos

Consumer Reports' 10 most economical new cars Photos

Economical vehicle rankings by Edmunds.com vs. Consumer Reports The study's purpose "isn't to discourage people from buying hybrids," said Jesse Toprak, head of industry analysis for Santa Monica-based Edmunds.com. However, "consumers ought to consider regular-engine small cars if their goal is just to save money."

The Edmunds.com findings are at odds with a recent analysis by Consumer Reports, which ranked both the Prius and the Civic hybrids among the 10 cars that the offer "the best fuel economy for the buck."

Consumer Reports only included vehicles that get its "recommended" rating, which is based on reliability, safety, handling and other factors in addition to sales price and fuel economy. That's part of the reason the Aveo and the Toyota Yaris didn't make Consumer Reports' fuel-economy cut.

"We didn't want to send people to cars that are going to let them down in other areas," said Rik Paul, the magazine's auto editor.

One car-shopping strategy that's almost certain not to make sense financially is to trade in a late-model sport utility vehicle or pickup truck for a smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicle. Because of plummeting demand, trade-in values on these gas guzzlers have been falling fast -- some dealers won't accept them at all -- and that can wipe out the gas savings achieved by switching to a smaller car, auto research firm Kelley Blue Book Co. said in a report last month.

Toprak noted that many people buy hybrids because of the cars' environmentally friendly image or other reasons unrelated to economics.

"At least 50% of all automotive purchases are not based on financial considerations," he said. "Its a very emotional purchase that doesn't always involve numbers."

Newsday Article Link

27 mpg combined is ridiculously low for such a tiny car....what's the problem?

evidently nothing or not enough for CR hopefully the new engine helps that some. too bad gm doesn't have a 5 speed auto like honda does.

what's the next vehicle (platform) that gets a 6 speed anyway?

:AH-HA_wink:

We were advised of this a couple months ago. The '09 Aveo will show a 7-10% fuel mileage improvement, which will elevate it to the rest of the pack. The trouble, IMO, is this is not a GM transmisison. The Yaris also has a 4 spd auto, but gets better mileage. The '09 Aveo will have quite a few engine improvements, but I wish they would ditch the tranny for something else.

But the naysayers will still say the Aveo is a piece of crap. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised the Aveo beat out the Accent and Rio, which to my knowledge are the only practical cars that are cheaper than the Aveo.

Define 'cheaper.' The Rio is being advertised at $9,995 in Canada, but with freight, taxes, fees and bank rate financing, the Aveo (0% financing, 72 months) is far cheaper at $12,995. I doubt many Rio buyers have cash.

In any case, this study is probably not entirely accurate. How many 5 spds with no a/c do Kia or Chevrolet sell? I would venture to say not many. The variables in studies like this are all over the map: individual insurance, driving habits, climactic conditions, and other variables could greatly the effect of an individual's outcome.

Still, it does tend to strengthen what I have been saying all along: one cannot assume the imports are 'better.' Every case is different.

But the naysayers will still say the Aveo is a piece of crap. :rolleyes:

You're right! It IS still a piece of crap! (How do you think they can sell it for that low of a price?)

8)

I'll congratulate GM on topping this list.....it's just too bad it was with such a $h!box......

It if really came down to it and I had to buy a new sub-$10,000 high-mpg vehicle, I would go pick up a CBR600RR. :thumbsup:

I know a few people who have considered going from 2 cars in the garage to a car and a motorcycle. Seems like a great idea for commuting, as long as the weather cooperates. And yes, Carbiz, the Aveo is a piece of crap. It may have a lower cost of ownership than a Prius, but nobody will cross-shop the two. The Prius is far larger and gets far better mpg. And, oh yeah, it doesn't suck.

You're right! It IS still a piece of crap! (How do you think they can sell it for that low of a price?)

8)

I'll congratulate GM on topping this list.....it's just too bad it was with such a $h!box......

Drive the new Yaris and then the '09 Aveo back to back, then you can talk...............

Everyone here is acting all tough and puffed up. Just wait until $8 a gallon comes, then see attitudes adjust...ever so slightly.

I know a few people who have considered going from 2 cars in the garage to a car and a motorcycle. Seems like a great idea for commuting, as long as the weather cooperates. And yes, Carbiz, the Aveo is a piece of crap. It may have a lower cost of ownership than a Prius, but nobody will cross-shop the two. The Prius is far larger and gets far better mpg. And, oh yeah, it doesn't suck.

One of my coworkers has been whining about the gas prices...he has a Tahoe, his wife an Escalade...he's been riding his Harley alot lately and letting the Tahoe sit.

I agree. One car and motorcycle is a way to go. Even a Liter bike gets about 45 mpg city and plus fun to drive than the 9,999 POS.

Why is that small, cheap, efficient cars that are fun, full of ammenities and exciting mutually exclusive?

And I hear it is going to be a good hurricane season...

So they said last year and year before last. So as long it rains as it has rained consistently in southeast for past couple of weeks, the GoM will stay cool for hurricanes to lay low.

I've got a friend who just went through a divorce and ended up with the F-150 Crew Cab his wife made him buy about a month before they got married. The thing gets awful mileage, and he's had nothing but problems since he put a new exhaust on it. He's also got an 80's Mustang GT convertible, which isn't even close to being drivable, so he's really hurting when it comes to paying for gas. He has been talking about getting a bike for some time now, but hasn't pulled the trigger. It makes sense for him.

I've got a friend who just went through a divorce and ended up with the F-150 Crew Cab his wife made him buy about a month before they got married. The thing gets awful mileage, and he's had nothing but problems since he put a new exhaust on it. He's also got an 80's Mustang GT convertible, which isn't even close to being drivable, so he's really hurting when it comes to paying for gas. He has been talking about getting a bike for some time now, but hasn't pulled the trigger. It makes sense for him.

Tell him to jump the gun and get it. He will not be disappointed. Kawi Ninja ZX10 or Suzuki Gixxer 1000, heck I have heard even the Honda CBR 1000 is a very good bike.

And I hear it is going to be a good hurricane season...

They say that EVERY year. Then it happens one year in 50 and they say, "See?!"

Why is that small, cheap, efficient cars that are fun, full of ammenities and exciting mutually exclusive?

because mini's or something a little bigger don't have small turbo's for cheap. lol

maybe 2/3s of those needs will come with the Groove....the amenities will cost about 2K more but add just enough weight to make it less fun to drive. :(

The Aveo is a piece of crap, and it's a penalty box. I think we'll have to wait for the Verve before we have any good alternatives to the Mini (which is excellent but expensive) and the Astra, which is good but has some shortcomings. And because I know there are some diehard fans who will take offense to it, just remember it is Korean, just like the Rio and Accent. You get what you pay for. I hope it's replacement is the Beat, because that looks pretty damn cool.

I'm with the others about getting a bike. You keep the car you have and get a bike top supplement it. So if you have a big car or truck that you actually use every now and then have a very thirsty bike that you can use most of the year.

The Aveo is a piece of crap, and it's a penalty box. I think we'll have to wait for the Verve before we have any good alternatives to the Mini (which is excellent but expensive) and the Astra, which is good but has some shortcomings. And because I know there are some diehard fans who will take offense to it, just remember it is Korean, just like the Rio and Accent. You get what you pay for. I hope it's replacement is the Beat, because that looks pretty damn cool.

I'm with the others about getting a bike. You keep the car you have and get a bike top supplement it. So if you have a big car or truck that you actually use every now and then have a very thirsty bike that you can use most of the year.

I'm with you on the bike thing, Dodgefan. I am thinking seriously of getting one.

Chris

If I were to get a small high mileage car, I'd probably look seriously at a diesel Jetta (I hope they offer the Rabbit with a diesel here, I prefer hatchbacks in small cars), a Prius (3 of my coworkers have 'em, so I'd fit right in), or a Mini...

The new Astra is coming! DF, you do know the Beat is Korean too, don't you?

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

The new Astra is coming! DF, you do know the Beat is Korean too, don't you?

Indeed I do, however it at least looks modern and not like a bland eco-box. Plus I'd hope with this new supposed commitment to product quality and such that they would make it, you know, not suck. Unless they would like to take a backseat to Ford.

The Beat is also much smaller than the Aveo. I don't think there has been a smaller 4-seat vehicle in the US at least since the original mini, while the next Aveo will be both longer and wider than many compacts were in 2001.

1960s era Austin Mini 3.054 m long

c2009 Chevrolet Beat 3.5 m (current mini is a little under 3.7 m, a Euro/JDM-spec Yaris a little under 3.8 m)

c2010 Chevrolat Aveo 4.050 m (consistent with the Corsa, 207, Mito, Grand Punto, Ibiza etc.).

The Aveo is likely to feature a range of 1.2–1.6 L engines (both Daewoo B-series and GM Family 1), the Beat 0.8–1.2 L Daewoo B-series engines. 1.0, 1.25 and 1.5 L diesels are also likely, the 1.0 in the Beat and the others in the Aveo (at least for Europe).

When I saw the '09 Aveo5 for the first time at Baltimore's Auto Show, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is a band-aid like the last minivans, but the sum of the changes are worthwhile. A top-of-the line, leatherette 5 speed Aveo5 with the improved engine should be worth a look. I just wish the 3-door were sold here, at Chevy and Pontiac. Edited by ocnblu

When I saw the '09 Aveo5 for the first time at Baltimore's Auto Show, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it is a band-aid like the last minivans, but the sum of the changes are worthwhile. A top-of-the line, leatherette 5 speed Aveo5 with the improved engine should be worth a look. I just wish the 3-door were sold here, at Chevy and Pontiac.

The Aveo would look quite a bit better with the Holden front end I saw pics of the other day. I actually looked decent!

http://www.pressportal.com.au/news/455/ART...2008-06-26.html

Edited by 91z4me

Is it better to just stop number crunching for analysis whether a product will work in the future provided whims of lawmakers, gas, ass, is taken into account with million possibilities, and use intuition to bring bold, exciting and innovative barrage of products and just flood the market?