Intrepidation

Pre-production Chevy Camaros begin rolling off Oshawa assembly line

44 posts in this topic

09-camaro-prod-feb_opt.jpg

General Motors has released a slew of images that show the first batch of pre-production 2010 Chevy Camaros being assembled at the its assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario. Check out the gallery below to see how the sausage is made, though watching the Camaro go from shells to showroom ready is much more appetizing than watching someone stuff animal intestines with meat. The gallery shows nearly every stage of the muscle car's birth process, including paint, the mating of body to chassis, final inspections and the finished product that pops out the other end. Enjoy.

Source: Autoblog

03-camaro-prod-feb.jpg

06-camaro-prod-feb.jpg

19-camaro-prod-feb.jpg

20-camaro-prod-feb.jpg

Gallery

WTF is taking so long?

Nothing. Regular production has been planned for mid February '09 for quite a while...

Pillarless post MCE Camaro FTW! :smilewide:

Do you really think GM can afford the $130 for a Sawzall? Apparently thats all it takes to make it a hardtop.

I'll go out on a limb and say it wont sell any worse that the G8 or GTO. But I could be wrong.

Sadly, pre-production prototypes are usually crushed, so the cars in the pics will meet a sad end.

But the cars do look good!

Chris

:camarosmile:

Count me in, I say they will sell 29,000 units this year give or take a few hundred. They sure are Pretty!!!

:deathwatch:

WTF is taking so long?

No GM car comes out fast. Hopefully they get these to dealerships soon since the 370Z just came out, the 2010 Mustang and 2010 Genesis coupe arrive soon also. There are a lot of new arrivals to that segment, and GM can't lose sales because they don't have cars on the lot.

Camaro will crush the G8 sales numbers, it looks 100 times better, it is a 2 doors which make it a better sports car and it costs less, plus has a 300 hp V6, not a 250 hp V6. Transformers 2 comes out this summer, that could help also. The Camaro has a cool factor to it, the G8 doesn't. Although I think the Camaro's semi-retro look could have it looking dated after a few years, where the Nissan Z ages well and the Genesis Coupe I think will age well.

Camaro will crush the G8 sales numbers, it looks 100 times better, it is a 2 doors which make it a better sports car and it costs less, plus has a 300 hp V6, not a 250 hp V6. Transformers 2 comes out this summer, that could help also. The Camaro has a cool factor to it, the G8 doesn't. Although I think the Camaro's semi-retro look could have it looking dated after a few years, where the Nissan Z ages well and the Genesis Coupe I think will age well.

Based on what? The 350Z has aged poorly and the Genesis certainly doesn't have a timeless look about it.

Even in a down economy this thing will sell trust me.

I guess everybody hopes so but I think it will not reach the sales that Gm hoped for. Nice Torino i your GM for life pic

I'm a little more optimistic, I'm going to say 50,000 units.

Yupper that is what I am guessing.

I hope you are both right and I am way off on my sales estimate for this year. But even here in washington state where we have not been hit as hard as the rest of the country with this depression, I visually see how hard the auto dealerships have it as not much metal is moving off the lots.

I suspect even those that want to buy one and have the cash are going to hold off and wait till closer to xmas before buying or until 2010 to see how things shake out with jobs and so forth. For sure there will be those that will not blink and buy but allot more will sit on the fence and wait.

Edited by dfelt

Even GM admits that the G8 is selling well, given the market environment.

I'm so tired of people here thinking that ALL GM cars need to sell at Camry levels in order to be a success. That's the very point of GM, (and something I hope that GM remembers) they don't FORCE you to buy one car.

Toyota was smart in that they put their products in the dead middle of the market segments and dominate the segment with one vehicle. The Camry for example is positioned at the center of the family sedan market, while GM always positioned several cars around the center, Pontiac off toward the sport side, Buick to the soft side, Chevy a little on the cheap side, Olds on the higher price side, Saturn with an import look, but near Chevy/Pontiac in price/performance. GM goes after 5-6 smaller demographics, Toyota goes after 1 big one. Either can be good business strategies, especially in the 1950s when there weren't as many car brands. But the market is saturated now, and there is too much competition for GM to keep doing that.

The Camaro will outsell the 370Z and Genesis Coupe, but not outsell the Mustang. I don't know what those cars sell per year, but the Camaro will be in between. If Zeta were smaller and lighter, GM could have had a hit on their hands with a rear (awd option) drive sedan that was about Ford Fusion size (and weight) with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. It would drive better than any of the front drive family sedans and still be fuel efficient, and no one else does a rear drive midsize that isn't a luxury car.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor