"I don't much care for..."

LosAngeles

Moltie, you and I agree on cars and travel but, my God, we take different forks in the road when it comes to food. I almost always got the "racist card" played on me for NOT liking spicy food, which makes NO sense because I love Middle Eastern food.

No big deal, some people like spicy, some don't.... I've always been pretty adventurous with dining (at least once i got out away my Mom's hearty meat-and-potatoes Midwestern cooking). There is a lot of stuff I won't touch, though, like eggplant, organs (no menudo, breadfruit, etc)...can't really take anything with beans (I esp. don't like the brown mud bean glop in a lot of Mexican/SW dishes).

And wouldn't this pretty much include all Jewish people?

I dislike it when people can't say Happy Hanukkah or Merry Christmas. I hate the GENERIC HAPPY HOLIDAYS. I know lots of people who DO NOT practice Christianity or other religons that celebrate Christmas but take no offense to having someone wish them a Merry Christmas... That is what I meant, and no how could I have anything against Jewish people, after all they have been through in the past 100 years. The few Jewish people I know are great folks.

Edited by gm4life

For once gm4life, we agree on something. :P

I agree, it bugs the crap out of me when people can't say Merry Christmas.

Yes, the Holiday is a religious holiday but it's not just that. Many people celebrate it as a holiday of giving, of family gather together (for some family's this is a once a year thing where they are together), and such. It's also a holiday of pretty lights, trees and snow. Nothing religious about that. Take your Happy Holidays and shove it. Merry f@#king Christmas to all! :smilewide:

Yes, the Holiday is a religious holiday but it's not just that. Many people celebrate it as a holiday of giving, of family gather together (for some family's this is a once a year thing where they are together), and such. It's also a holiday of pretty lights, trees and snow. Nothing religious about that. Take your Happy Holidays and shove it. Merry f@#king Christmas to all! :smilewide:

We don't always agree on politics or other things but we each do like our American cars, and believe in saying MERRY CHRISTMAS. Thank you I totally agree. That is my point, Christmas is the SEASON and the SPIRIT, that doesn't have to be a religous thing, although it can be and that is fine, but people have become scared to say Merry Christmas. That is sad I think. I 100% agree with DF, I actually just said that. Proving to me as American's we are all more alike than different.

It's all that political correctness horse $h!.

The most shocking time was when a guy I know who is religious and Catholic, who I had not seen in a while, wished me Happy Holidays. :blink:

Yes, I hate this too. I still will say Merry Christmas, unless it's to a client/vendor/outside person whose religion I don't know.

And if I know the person is Jewish, I wish them a Happy Hannukah, since I grew up with some Jewish friends...who were entertainingly neurotic. Oh well, I guess like attracts like. :lol:

Could somebody please explain to me under what circumstances people "can't" say "Merry Christmas"? I have never heard of such a prohibition. When was this exception added to the 1st Amendment? Could you cite a court case, please? I'd really love to have this confuson sorted out.

The most shocking time was when a guy I know who is religious and Catholic, who I had not seen in a while, wished me Happy Holidays. :blink:

Why? Are certain people banned from saying "Happy Holidays" by their religion? Growing up Catholic I must have missed this sin in Sunday School. Is it mortal or venial? How many Hail Marys do I have to recite to be forgiven?

By the way, is New Year's Eve/Day a holiday? I'm so confused. Why can't I say "Happy Holidays" to impart good wishes on people for both holidays? They ARE only 6 days apart...who's to say I'll see them again between the two? Am I obligated to list every holiday for which I'm wishing people well? What if they're half-Jewish and half-Christian? Must I say "Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and Happy New Year"? It seems so cumbersome. Why again can't I say "Happy Holidays," again?

Frankly, the real question is what the hell kind of problem do you have if someone wishes you "Happy Holidays" and you get OFFENDED? Do you get offended when someone says "Have a great day!" because they didn't specify that it's a THURSDAY? Or are you suffering from some kind of sociopathic disorder where you take grave offense to someone wishing you well in any way, shape or form?

Why? Are certain people banned from saying "Happy Holidays" by their religion? Growing up Catholic I must have missed this sin in Sunday School. Is it mortal or venial? How many Hail Marys do I have to recite to be forgiven?

By the way, is New Year's Eve/Day a holiday? I'm so confused. Why can't I say "Happy Holidays" to impart good wishes on people for both holidays? They ARE only 6 days apart...who's to say I'll see them again between the two? Am I obligated to list every holiday for which I'm wishing people well? What if they're half-Jewish and half-Christian? Must I say "Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and Happy New Year"? It seems so cumbersome. Why again can't I say "Happy Holidays," again?

Frankly, the real question is what the hell kind of problem do you have if someone wishes you "Happy Holidays" and you get OFFENDED? Do you get offended when someone says "Have a great day!" because they didn't specify that it's a THURSDAY? Or are you suffering from some kind of sociopathic disorder where you take grave offense to someone wishing you well in any way, shape or form?

Someone's got a rod up their butt tonight.

Obviously I'm not going to call someone out for saying Happy Holidays, and no $h! it's the best of intentions, I wouldn't give someone grief over it, I would, and have wished it back. That being said it's been hyped up pretty well, at least in New England, that Merry Christmas is somehow offensive, and thus people should only say Happy Holidays so as to not to offend someone and they get all bent out of shape about it. Nor would I if someone wished me Happy Hanukah. I suppose you could draw a parallel to myself and others mentioning on this thread that we don't care for the fact that not many people at all say Merry Christmas, but then this is 1.) A thread to post what you don't much care for and 2.) Not a rant to someone who just wished happy whatever day.

And you bet I'd be puzzled by someone I know who celebrates Christmas and knows I do not say Merry Christmas. Of course New Year's isn't far apart but 1.) Christmas comes first and 2.) Christmas is probably a little more significant to someone who is religious. I myself am not, just to clarify, but the puzzlement remains. Am I not allowed to wonder? Or is that offensive?

Like I said, around here the political correctness thing is pretty absurd. A couple years ago their was a, stupid debate over whether or not Boston's (I believe) annual Christmas Tree should be called "Holiday Tree" instead. A few years before that news was made about some grumpy people with rod up their own ass complaining and making a big deal about a Nativity scene on a homeowner's lawn.

Edited by Dodgefan

Road noise

Engines that spin too high and thrash / hum at highway speed

4 speed automatics in a day of 6 speeds

Gear / driveline whine

"Blap blap blap blap" loud exhaust racket from Harley Davidson bikes

Car speakers that distort easily when the bass is cranked up

Car speakers that can't even reproduce most bass notes

Shiny chrome wheels

Black-out tape..with seams..surrounding exterior door frames (e.g. Honda Civic)

Cheap aftermarket wheels, body kits, wind deflectors, stripes, medallions, fender vents

Vinyl or cloth carriage roofs that dealers add to otherwise dignified vehicles.

Dramatic, up-swept belt lines and rear quarter glass e.g. Traverse, Murano, Rogue, and the otherwise stately 1987 Mercury Cougar.

Edited by jlgolden

I am thinking along Croc lines on this one here. When I hear someone say "Happy Holidays", I take it to mean Christmas and New Year's.

And Festivus... I like Festivus... used to have a get together w/ friends, drink a lot, toss a Christmas tree off a 2nd floor balcony.

As to the holidays in general, it's a lot of 'meh' for me... Not big on them, but I do like taking the week off between Xmas and New Years every year... not looking forward to the airports, though...flying to Ohio tomorrow to see family, then back to Phoenix Monday then to Denver next Wednesday (going to go hang out w/ friends in the Mile High City for New Years eve).

Being woken up before I've had sufficient sleep.

Those nights where your mind just won't shut off, keeping you awake for hours.

Ya... in the same category, waking up to the alarm clock on a day when you didn't want the alarm clock to go off...sometimes, I turn it on out of habit, and having it go off at 5:30am on a Saturday is not fun..

Ya... in the same category, waking up to the alarm clock on a day when you didn't want the alarm clock to go off...sometimes, I turn it on out of habit, and having it go off at 5:30am on a Saturday is not fun..

Oh, or how about those days you want it to go off but either forget to set it, or set it when you're so tired that it's accidentally set for PM.

even stan agrees.

holiday PC

(crappy quaility)

My problem is that I will always wake up 5-30 minutes before my alarm is set to go off. It's very frustrating knowing that my internal clock cheated me out of a few extra moments of sleep.

That being said it's been hyped up pretty well, at least in New England, that Merry Christmas is somehow offensive, and thus people should only say Happy Holidays so as to not to offend someone and they get all bent out of shape about it.

OK, just to clarify...it isn't you, but everyone else in all of New England with a sociopathic disorder, taking grave offense to a friendly well-wisher over their wording?

I'll just assume for the sake of this post that that is true, let alone makes a lick of sense. You have three options, then. Knowing that the people in your area are a certain way, i.e. PC, you can 1) Go with the herd and ONLY say "Happy Holidays," 2) Rebel against the herd and NEVER say "Happy Holidays," or 3) Not give a $h! about what the herd thinks of you and say what you feel like saying at each time.

Like I said, around here the political correctness thing is pretty absurd. A couple years ago their was a, stupid debate over whether or not Boston's (I believe) annual Christmas Tree should be called "Holiday Tree" instead. A few years before that news was made about some grumpy people with rod up their own ass complaining and making a big deal about a Nativity scene on a homeowner's lawn.

Now, I know you aren't a legal scholar from the other thread, but the Constitution has this pesky little thing called the Separation Clause in it, which bars the government fro interfering in religion, or treating different religions/sects differently.

The "Holiday Tree" isn't something Boston passed an ordinance on fining any citizen $75 for calling it a "Christmas Tree." It likely came about (as others across the nation have) by a lawsuit from a non-Christian religion alleging that the Christmas tree on government property amounted to a violation of the Separation Clause. The courts have repeatedly (and IMO rightly) ruled over the years that a Christmas tree is NOT a religious tradition, but a secularized celebration of winter. Considering that Christmas trees are Pagan in origin, fine by me. What is the point of all this? To ensure that there is no ambiguity, the courts asked the government to call it a "Holiday Tree" in official communication.

Really, it applies to the government--City of Boston, State of Massachussetts, or whatever other goerning entity(ies) funds and erects this "Holiday Tree."

And the grumpy old people are just grumpy old people as long as that was a private homeowner...or unless it was so "garden gnome"-licious that they felt it disgraced their religion--in which case I'd be inclined to agree with them although they have no legal standing to ask for its removal...unless of course neighborhood covenants prohibit such decorations.

Ham, unless in a sandwich.

Brussels sprouts

Lima beans (does ANYONE actually LIKE lima beans?)

I like lima beans. Served with butter on the side of something like meatloaf, along with mashed potatoes, sounds like a fantastic "comfort food" meal to me. I'm with you on the ham, though--I'm very picky about if/how I'll eat pork.

I like limas, whether green or dried. My grandmother used to bake dried limas with ketchup, brown sugar, onion and sausage... wow, another great comfort meal.

I don't much care for anchovies. All they are is a spot of intense salty, fishy grossness. Bleh.

Dodgefan, tell us more about your favorite kind of meat.:AH-HA_wink:

I like limas, whether green or dried. My grandmother used to bake dried limas with ketchup, brown sugar, onion and sausage... wow, another great comfort meal.

I don't much care for anchovies. All they are is a spot of intense salty, fishy grossness. Bleh.

Dodgefan, tell us more about your favorite kind of meat.:AH-HA_wink:

BBQ Baby Back Ribs.

Yes I got the joke. :P

I do, though I've never called them lima beans. Where I hail from, they're called butter beans.

Anyone care to take a gander at how the lima bean got its name?

Wikipedia article on Lima beans

I like green beans, white beans, beans with chili...but I can't eat black beans or the bean mud w/ Mexican food..they mess up my stomach.

Edited by moltar

• 2 weeks later...

The price of out-of-season fruit, specifically strawberries. Maybe next year I'll just get a couple containers and freeze them so I wont be searching grocery stores in January and consider myself luckly to find them for $6/pound.

Edited by Satty