"I don't much care for..."

LosAngeles

I really, really dont care for apartment hunting in 4 cities in 3 states in 2 timezones.

I dont care for housing prices in places that aren't here. Seriously, a 2br apartment in Baltimore is more than my mortgage on a 3br house. Dont even get me started on prices in Chicago. I've requested info from schools in other cities, but it looks like it'll either be her hometown or mine. We'll see who wins out.

Yeah, the one big one around here is packed full. Whats funny is that everyone is saying our local economy is strong, and that we're not getting hit hard like the rest of the country. In December alone 3 large employers announced they're closing, nearly 2000 lost their jobs. The only reason the housing market hasn't collapsed is that the market had already pretty much bottomed out. Houses cost nothing out here, so it would be almost impossible for house values to go down. Gotta love that right-wing spin.

For $500/month here you're not going to get a luxury apartment. You're going to get 500 sq. feet in the ghetto. $650 will get you something respectable, if you want an actual luxury apartment, your price of entry is going to be $1,000/month if you're lucky. We were looking at lofts as a way to cut our commutes, but it didn't make sense.

There are apartments along the highway for $300/month, but they're $h!ty, pretty much just welfare moms live there.

God I hate this place.

For $500/month here you're not going to get a luxury apartment. You're going to get 500 sq. feet in the ghetto. $650 will get you something respectable, if you want an actual luxury apartment, your price of entry is going to be $1,000/month if you're lucky. We were looking at lofts as a way to cut our commutes, but it didn't make sense.

There are apartments along the highway for $300/month, but they're $h!ty, pretty much just welfare moms live there.

God I hate this place.

Luxury was probably the wrong word. However from the description and photos it looked very nice, and way more bang for the buck. Although It's 1 bedroom for $524. But still.

Lake Shore

3660 South Cox Springfield, MO 65807

So what kind of area is that? Good? Bad?

After I decided I was going to go to law school, my initial plan was to spend 3 years living in a homeless shelter. It seemed like the most cost-effective option.

A friend of mine in grad school lived in our office for a couple semesters--he and I were student teachers i.e. research assistants, and shared an office w/ a couple others in the engineering complex..he would shower at the gym, etc. Since grad students kept weird hours, it wasn't strange to see him asleep on the couch in the office at 3 am. Eventually, he moved into the basement of the house I was renting w/ 3 other grad students. Fun times back in the day.

Thats in Chesterfield Village, which is kinda the western border of livable areas. Getting any further west, you have a lot of run down, low income houses, and a few fast-food places. Go too much further south you're out of the city, about 11 miles south and you're at my front door. I'd hate living there because, just like the rest of Springfield, the streets were designed by people who hate cars. Traffic is atrocious, you've got a 4-lane major highway due south, a 4- lane expressway due east and a narrow 2-lane due west, and gridlock on all of the no matter what time of day. There are a few restaurants and bars over there, plus the second run movie theater. For me, the problem is convenience, it takes forever to get anywhere from anyplace on the outer-edge of town, which is where that is.

A friend of mine in grad school lived in our office for a couple semesters--he and I were student teachers i.e. research assistants, and shared an office w/ a couple others in the engineering complex..he would shower at the gym, etc. Since grad students kept weird hours, it wasn't strange to see him asleep on the couch in the office at 3 am. Eventually, he moved into the basement of the house I was renting w/ 3 other grad students. Fun times back in the day.

I had an econ professor explain in rather painful detail how a guy he knew as an undergrad lived in the library for a semester before being discovered and kicked out.

Thats in Chesterfield Village, which is kinda the western border of livable areas. Getting any further west, you have a lot of run down, low income houses, and a few fast-food places. Go too much further south you're out of the city, about 11 miles south and you're at my front door. I'd hate living there because, just like the rest of Springfield, the streets were designed by people who hate cars. Traffic is atrocious, you've got a 4-lane major highway due south, a 4- lane expressway due east and a narrow 2-lane due west, and gridlock on all of the no matter what time of day. There are a few restaurants and bars over there, plus the second run movie theater. For me, the problem is convenience, it takes forever to get anywhere from anyplace on the outer-edge of town, which is where that is.

If it's at least in a decent area than that's fine by me. Where I live many the roads were built before cars existed, there's way too much traffic/people for the area, and 5 of the 7 bridges between Lawrence and Lowell are closed. So that leave 2 bridges and the highway to get across the river. I wasn't wasn't even aware they had closed another bridge down, until I found a line of traffic at 9:30 at night near the open one. I detured it to the next bridge to find out it had been closed :censored:

Longs tory short traffic is something I'm used to, haha.

Even in this $h!ty city the cheapest studio apartments go for over $600. Those come with basically 4 walls and a door.

I dont care for our mattress. My back was killing me when I woke up this morning. The bed in the guest room is even worse. My son, on the other hand, has an awesome mattress. I dont know why it seemed like a great idea to get the 2 year old a nice, comfy full-size bed while the two adults suffer on the lumpy, partially collapsed queen-size.

Asstards yakking on their phone while trying to order at a a restaurant w/ a counter, while at the checkout line at the grocery, while in a restaurant, at the ATM, etc. HANG UP THE F*CKING PHONE and finish the task at hand.