2008 STINGRAY!

Corvette considering new sports car. The Stingray. This is a long-time coming....I have always thought this was the way to go. Corvette is a powerful brand. To be based on the Kappa platform. It is rumored to have a new V6 and may even use the I-4 from the Solstice GXP.

Posted Image

Edited by HarleyEarl

Guest YellowJacket894
Right there with ya', NOS. I guess Corvette becoming its own brand will be a bold move by GM before shooting itself right in the head... Then again... Wasn't the Corvette a stand alone car in Europe without the Chevy name affixed to owner's manuals, etc.? Augh... This and that whole GMX-Insert-Random-Numbers-Here Thread is causing me to be nausiated.

Guest YellowJacket894
(Hits head against a brick wall.) What's going on? Is this a inside joke refering to the lack of or near lack of mention of the Chevy name in MT's article or something? Forget it...

Chevy needs this like Pontiac needs another Aztec. It would only rob sales from the Vette and any future Camaro convetible sales. How about a sporty car like a Mini that looks like a Nomad? And don't just tell me they can't do it on a Kappa just find a platform they it will work on.

Okay...? Um... first, let's read Ghost Dog's post. Yeah... three threads, people. No need for it. Second, Corvette is till Chevy... always will be. Retarded move, otherwise. Third, the sketch looks like a rebadged Solstice... seriously. That and does GM need another roadster on Kappa? I think not... Hyper has the idea. Fourth, this is MT. Wouldn't you rather listen to AH-HA, evok, thegriffon, or Hogan's Heroes? Yeah... so would I. If they come out and say it... then we talk. :blink:

GM is seriously considering building a V6 version of its Kappa sports car (aka Pontiac Solstice & Saturn Sky). But the scuttlebutt around Motown is that this new version would get an all new body, a Chevy badge & one of the most iconic names in the GM sports car pantheon -Sting Ray. It would be positioned as a muscular, entry level Chevy sports car priced under the current Corvette range, but above the higher end Pontiac & Saturn models. Given the enduring success of the Corvette, the Sting Ray plan seems plausible-and profitable.

Insiders report V6 powered Kappa mules wearing Pontiac Solstice sheetmetal are already running around GM test facilities, even though the Sting Ray program has yet to be given official approval from GM brass. The V6s Chevy is playing with are the 3.9L pushrod motor used in the Malibu SS & the high-feature 3.6L in the Cadillac CTS. The 3.9 is rated at 240hp, a number that equals the expected horsepower under the hoods of the coming 2.2L turbo 2007 Solstice & Sky, but with much better low-end torque. The 3.6 is rated @ 255hhp in the CTS & would seem the right engine to beat the BMW Z4s 225hp inline-6. The twin overhead cams in the high feature engine would require a bulge in the Sting Rays hood.

Compete with BMW? Yes, like the Corvette, the Sting Ray would transcend GMs old divisional order. If it gets the green light, itll be a well-equipped, high-spec model, priced far above the Pontiac Solstice & Saturn Sky. Both those cars will remain 4-cylinders only, although the 2008 Pontiac Solstice Coupe also will come with a V6, which helps the Chevys business case, as it mean some development & certification costs can be shared.

The Sting Ray mule comes along just as GM has confirmed a third sports car off the Kappa, a 2007 Opel/Vauxhall GT to be imported from the US to Europe. That car launches only after the debut of the Saturn Sky late this spring & shares its styling. The Opel GT will probably get just one of the two engines to be offered in the Solstice/Sky - either the 170hp 2.4L Ecotec four of the 240hp 2.2L turbo, but not both(Now we know its 260hp).

The Sting Ray makes sense. Adding a division (or changing divisions) for a platform certainly is more novel than offering special edition packages with leather-covered shift knobs.

The unique Sting Ray styling, a V6 engine and high content also could come along just as everyone who wants a Solstice or Sky has already bought one. Throw in 1950s-1960s Corvette styling cues & an attitude that doesnt try to hide the fact that this is an American-style sports car, & it could be a winner. One other factor in the Sting Rays favor: GMs new Corvette chief, Tom Wallace, also is in charge of the Kappa cars.

[post="66719"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sting Ray name = No. Call it a Vega or something else and who would buy a Camaro over this? I'm sure the new Camaro won't be as nice as this, just bigger and not any faster, because it'll be 2 tons of beef. And NO MORE KAPPAS!! Unless it doesn't look like a rebadge like this.... This is a weak idea. A nomad would be better. Edited by -Camaro-

This is exactly what is wrong with GM management. They build one vehicle for three different brands, give it minor to moderate sheet metal changes and then over saturate the market with budget convertibles that no one really asked for in the first place. Having said that, it's not bad having a lot of good thing but for GM, it's a horrible move when they're desperately trying to regain market share and credibility car buyers. They did this for decades; they are doing it with the GMT900s, the Lambda SUVs, the GMT360s, the Epsilon vehicles, the Theta SUVs, the large FWD cars, and now the Kappa platform. They just do not get it. Wagoner needs to go bye-bye. GM needs to start from square one and stop offering derivative vehicles and start delivering on its promises on separating the brands. Edited by Cadillacfan85

Sting Ray name = No. Call it a Vega or something else and who would buy a Camaro over this? I'm sure the new Camaro won't be as nice as this, just bigger and not any faster, because it'll be 2 tons of beef. And NO MORE KAPPAS!! Unless it doesn't look like a rebadge like this.... This is a weak idea.

[post="66722"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

going from what the article said, and what ah-ha posted, they would be positioning this Kappa above where a base V6 Camaro would start. The Kappa would have 2 seats instead of 4, and an SS Camaro with a 320 hp V8 will probably go for around 26k, or not much higher than the Mustang since that is who GM wants to compete with for the Camaro. I don't see either canablizing each other. But I don't see too much need for it in Chevy's lineup. But I don't see it stealing sales from other roadsters in GM's lineup, since it should be priced around the 30-40k mark. It could make sense around that price, with the right styling, interior quality, and engine and performance. I just don't know how much of a market there would be for it. If Vette can get 30k per year, I don't see why this couldn't get 20k per year.

I don't think this is going to happen. Think about it: Almost every credible bit of info MT and other mags get is talked about on here long before the mags every say a whisper about it. I highly doubt GM would be so dumb to offer such a car when it has a Camaro coming out in a similar timeframe most likely. I'm all for expanding Kappa, but not with roadster after roadster. We know Kappa can house a V8, how about streching it and making an El Camino that has V6 or V8 power, is relatively lightweight (especially for a vehicle that has a truck bed), and would handle on rails. That'd give GM something unique that no one else has -- a segment buster if you will. Kappa has tons of potential, it's just coming up with unique ideas and making that potential reality that is difficult.

For anyone wondering, all of the jib-jab that AH-HA posted was from MT. And the last paragraph is pretty contradictory: "The unique Sting Ray styling, a V6 engine and high content also could come along just as everyone who wants a Solstice or Sky has already bought one... it could be a winner." I don't see how they think it will be a winner if everyone that wants a roadster has a Solstice or Sky. :blink:

going from what the article said, and what ah-ha posted, they would be positioning this Kappa above where a base V6 Camaro would start. The Kappa would have 2 seats instead of 4, and an SS Camaro with a 320 hp V8 will probably go for around 26k, or not much higher than the Mustang since that is who GM wants to compete with for the Camaro. I don't see either canablizing each other. But I don't see too much need for it in Chevy's lineup. But I don't see it stealing sales from other roadsters in GM's lineup, since it should be priced around the 30-40k mark. It could make sense around that price, with the right styling, interior quality, and engine and performance. I just don't know how much of a market there would be for it. If Vette can get 30k per year, I don't see why this couldn't get 20k per year.

[post="66726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I see, I agree with most of that except the seats... The back seats are useless in the old F-Bodies and even in the new mustang. I saw one at the airport and the back seats are for 6-8 year olds. If these cars were competing, no one would buy a Camaro because of the rear seats atleast IMO.

First off MT said like a decade ago that the Corvette Brand would be stand along with sedans, coupes and Blah-blah-blah.... who cares. It's all just BS speculation.

2nd, -Camaro-: you think a V6/I4 roadster will steal sales away form Camaro???

Sting Ray name = No. Call it a Vega or something else and who would buy a Camaro over this? I'm sure the new Camaro won't be as nice as this, just bigger and not any faster, because it'll be 2 tons of beef.

The Vega name sucks plain and simple... Corvair has a better chance of coming back then that '70 joke for a non-exploding Pinto.

And how exactly do you know the Camaro will weigh 4000lbs? Are you an insider too now? :huh:

The Corvette brand idea has been thought of in the past, and today in Europe the Corvette is sold in dedicated dealers, separate from the Chevywoos, I believe. It could be interesting, like Ferrari or Porsche, to have a separate Corvette brand with a range of sportscars, and like Porsche, a 5000+ lb SUV... :)

I don't like the idea. Chevy doesn't need it, especially when Pontiac and Saturn already have it. I don't care about the price difference. The segment is small and there's not much to get out of it, no matter how many brands you have in it. Chevy should stick with the Camaro and Corvette, and let the Pontiac have the small, sporty roadster it needs and Saturn have the small, luxurious roadster it needs. If anything, Cadillac should have a Kappa roadster in order to compete with Benz and BMW. I agree with the Nomad or El Camino ideas. If Chevy wants yet another niche vehicle give it something different, something that will blow people's minds, not another rebadge. I think the price is outrageous, like the overpriced SSR. What ever happened to Chevy being GM's bread-and-button division? Save the niche cars for the niche (so to speak) divisions.

First off MT said like a decade ago that the Corvette Brand would be stand along with sedans, coupes and Blah-blah-blah.... who cares. It's all just BS speculation.

2nd, -Camaro-: you think a V6/I4 roadster will steal sales away form Camaro???
The Vega name sucks plain and simple... Corvair has a better chance of coming back then that '70 joke for a non-exploding Pinto.

And how exactly do you know the Camaro will weigh 4000lbs? Are you an insider too now?  :huh:

[post="66752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think you're taking what I said too literally. It was mainly a joke post to make fun of this stupid idea. Whoever thought of this concept should be fired. The Vega name would be better than Stingray,imo, and who cares if it brings memories of a bad car if a new car with the same name was good? Is producing a good car with a bad name better than watering down a good historical name? Not that I'm saying I'd like it to be called a Vega.

Oh and this thing will be fast because of a fair amount of power and its weight so people who want a car just for speed might take this over a Camaro(that's IF the camaro is a porker), but I never said everyone would buy this over a Camaro and I wasn't taking into consideration of other factors, but that was obvious. And the whole 4,000 lbs. thing was just a guess/estimate(I don't think it'll be under 3,800 lbs.), I never intended for anyone to take that seriously... Edited by -Camaro-

I guess IF Chevy was to make this Kappa Sting Ray then it would be much like the Dodge Copperhead concept from years ago. With the Camaro coming though, what the hell would be the point of having another Chevy sporty car especially when you can get a V-8 in the Camaro as well as a (presumably) convertible version? Oh well, we all know that MT has gone way downhill lately and almost all their future info sucks. They also have an article about the Epsilon 2 platform and some specifics, I wonder what the ratio of true vs. false info is.

I think there is room for the Stingray. A different customer than the Camaro. There are many that love the Corvette but beyond their reach and they wouldn't go near a Camaro. Camaro still has some mullet stigma for many. The Stingray would give a taste of the Corvette mystique for the common man. That was how the original Corvette started. The current Corvette is in supercar class now. This is a good move by GM. Strengthen the Corvette brand. I'd even move the Corvette out of Chevrolet.

if they do another roadster they're idiots. plain and simple. The nomad makes much more sense or anything with a fixed f-in roof please.
sheesh.
plus we can assume the camaro if it comes out will have a vert too.

[post="66783"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree, at least if it wears a Chevy badge. Why wouldn't someone just save up a few thousand extra and get the Corvette? Now if it was a Cadillac hardtop roadster, thats different, and IMO makes alot more sense than a Chevy roadster on kappa.

There are several things I do not understand with General Motors, even in the times such as this where the company is cash strapped. Simply put, I don't know who would think a Chevy off of Kappa with a V6 or another 4 cylinder would be worthwhile. Stop the "me too" badging of vehicles just for the sake of having the most vehicles out on the road. They're trying to water down the most successful vehicle launch GM has had over the past 3 or 4 years.

Here's a New Year's treat.  A Chevy Kappa is indeed under consideration at this time with an assigned program code. :AH-HA_wink:

[post="66767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Please be the Nomad :CG_all: :CG_all: Edited by nzr

My bet is that Motor Trend got a tip from someone far from the project on the inside or a supplier that doesn't really understand the product. This sounds to me like it is a misinterpretation of the Camaro project much like the Malibu "tall wagon" was a misinterpretation of the Equinox. Food for thought...

I doubt a Chevy Kappa will be another roadster. Seriously, how big can the roadster market be, especially with a roadster that is extrememly unpractical for use as a person's main vehicle? Give Chevy the Solstice coupe, no overlap and it fits more with Chevy's mainstream image because it would likely have more than 1.4 cu.ft. of trunk space. In that scenario, I could actually see it stealing sales more from the Cobalt than the Camaro, especially if they kept the price down.

I guess IF Chevy was to make this Kappa Sting Ray then it would be much like the Dodge Copperhead concept from years ago.

[post="66795"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Copperhead WAS an awesome looking car in person. I still have a model on my desk at work.
Right next to it is a model of the Nomad concept. GM should just do the engineering and get the Nomad out the door. It would open up an entirely new direction for small. 4 seat vehicles which could be sold worldwide. A lot of that engineering must have been done to make the Nomad concept in the first place.

As much a Chevy fan as I am, Buick and Saab could use this car a lot more. Between the Cobalt SSs and the Camaro, I think Chevy has affordable performance covered.

Let see what does Chevy need before a second roadster? A Impala that is rated higher than a Honda and sells like a Camry. A replacment for the Monte Carlo. A Minivan or cross over that is class leading. The new Malibu we are waiting for in 08 that will clean the clocks of all comers. The Camaro in the Fall of 08. Fix the poor interiors of the Colorado. Performance upgrades to the HHR. All wheel drive Cobalt A Nomad and or El comino Price all cars to under cut the compition. What would a second Roadster do? Pull a few people into the show room but fewer that Saturn and Pontiac did since the Kappa news will be old by then. Will it reap high profits?? Don't think so. What is to be gained other than 20,000-30,000 sales max if your your lucky but in reality will sell around 18,000 at best. 2 seaters are a limited market and M has it well cover at this point. Chevy is well on its way to recovery but this car just does not fit anywhere in their needs. At this time GM needs to make every dollar count!

I think a Nomad would be an excelent Idea but not a Corvette Stingray based on the Kappa... If they want to make a Stingray, they should make it a version of the existing corvette on the same platform and with the same engine but maybe tweaked a bit..... I love the Stingray from back in the day....Not no mini version of it?!?! I love the Nomad....

It would indeed be a stupid move. They already have a Solstice and Sky. They don't need a Stingray. The name and idea are sweet, but think logically. But, if it were produced, it would bring a whole new meaning to "poor man's Corvette."

I find it hard to believe that they would be stupid enough to dilute the Corvette brand in any way. I don't see this happening. Besides, speaking of Vettes, Chevy already has a "roadster"... it comes with world-class handling and a 400 hp V8. Building that little Nomad, on the other hand, would be an excellent move.

I find it hard to believe that they would be stupid enough to dilute the Corvette brand in any way. I don't see this happening. Besides, speaking of Vettes, Chevy already has a "roadster"... it comes with world-class handling and a 400 hp V8.

Building that little Nomad, on the other hand, would be an excellent move.

[post="67180"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Agreed, GM could really use a vehicle like the Nomad concept in it's arsenal.