2007 Chevrolet Avalanche

Derek77

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting. Though, seeing these pictures isn't really a surprise. Shots of the Av have been floating around on the net for a couple of years now.

I can't wait for the Silverado. I want to see how much they differentiated it from the rest of the GMT900s.

Thanks for posting.  Though, seeing these pictures isn't really a surprise.  Shots of the Av have been floating around on the net for a couple of years now. 

I can't wait for the Silverado.  I want to see how much they differentiated it from the rest of the GMT900s.

I feel the same way. I was a little disappointed in a way, but damn, what was I expecting a different look from the Tahoe/Suburban? You're getting pretty greedy Mr. Derek77.

Looks very nice, but gm should have debuted it at the naias... :(

I really don't understand the need for this AND a crew cab pickup...  Image?

have you ever driven an avalanche compared to a silverado crew, or a tahoe or suburban for that matter...

if you do a drive comparason... you've got one of the best rides on the road... the avalanch offers great versitility where if you need to seat 6 you can... if you need an 8 foot bed... you got that too... and if you need a trunk? well you got that...

if you need a beer cooler... :CG_all: you got that just add the ice and the beer cans...

Avalanche sells about 7k a month... better then some vehicles... but realisitically it gives the suburban more substance... allows more vehicles to be built on that chassy... lowering the eventual cost...

The Avalanche offers two things over the crew cab:

1. It's built off a Suburban - this is significant because the bed is ATTACHED to the cab, unlike the detached bed of the crew cab. THis really adds to the ride and drive of the vehicle.

2. The mid-gate. This is something that no other manufacturer has and it is awesome, especially now that the rear window will roll down instead of popping out. You can carry 4x8 sheets of plywood/sheetrock completely covered from the weather, something NO ONE'S crew cab can do.

1. It's built off a Suburban - this is significant because the bed is ATTACHED to the cab, unlike the detached bed of the crew cab. THis really adds to the ride and drive of the vehicle.

That's a huge difference - moreso than you'd think. Before purchasing out '03 Suburban, we test drove an Av, back-to-back with a Suburban. The difference in ride between the vehicles was unbelievable - you'd think you were driving two entirely different makes completely. The Suburban is much more composed.

I knew they weren't going to have any based on EXT pics, but just for the sake of throwing it out there, Where's the cladding!!!! It doesn't have to be gray, it can be body colored for all I care, just gimme some damn cladding. How will this look any different than the silverado, w/o the cladding, I mean yeah, the back is different but that's about it.

ive seen these pics for about week now on another sight they posted each Av in its colors avaible in 2007 everybody was complaning the Av looked to much like the trucks now they look like the suvs and were still complaning i like it looks sweet wonder were the cam going :CG_all:

That's a huge difference - moreso than you'd think.  Before purchasing out '03 Suburban, we test drove an Av, back-to-back with a Suburban.  The difference in ride between the vehicles was unbelievable - you'd think you were driving two entirely different makes completely.  The Suburban is much more composed.

The rear suspension is also better on the Avalanche. It uses the Suburbans coil spring rear suspension and not the Silverado's crude (but necessary on a pickup) leaf sping suspension.

Mark

I love my Av. It's perfect for me because I needed something to tow with and wanted 4 doors. The sealed rear bed was the iceing on the cake plus it rides and drives great! Am anxious to see the detailed '07 Av pics released.

ive seen these pics for about week now on another sight they posted each Av in its colors avaible in 2007 everybody was complaning the Av looked to much like the trucks now they look like the suvs and were still complaning i like it looks sweet wonder were the cam going :CG_all:

site please?

The big problem with the old model is that the MID-GATE leaks when it rains. They tried to fix it in the past years but it hasn't completly stopped the problem. Hopefully, that was one of the things they made better about it.

if it does leak like that, than what exactly is the point to the vehicle to have the midgate?

Nope, they do have different headlights, Tahoe and Suburban have blacked out headlights with amber directionals, but the Av has clear headlights with amber directionals

They look exactly like the tahoe and suburban I saw pics at the ride and drive at the Desert Proving Grounds. They look awesome. No clading at all. The tailgate now locks with remote

too bad about the elimination of the 2500. :(

I dont think that the loss of the 2500 is a bad thing. The ones I always see are the 1500s. I drove one of the 1500s and was impressed with its performance. It rode like a nice car. even with the off-road suspension.

if it does leak like that, than what exactly is the point to the vehicle to have the midgate?

I have had 2 Av's (a base one, traded up a year after for a great deal and got an almost fully loaded one), and this is not an issue.

And this is after cold winters in Canada which are more susecptiable to creating issues with the rubber weather stripping. After 5 days of heavy rain last Summer (so much rain that ground water came up and partially flooded the unfinished part of our basement) the bed of the Av was as dry as a bone.

Great vehicle...the lease is up in 9 months and am torn what to do..my head says I don't need that much truck, my heart says that likely any other GM vehicle won't seem the same.

So when is this truck actually going to debut? I've been driving around my 96 GMC Sierra and have been hoping for an Avalanche since I first saw them in 2001. Now its 2006 and the new ones are coming out....I want this as my next vehicle. But I want to see them already. Anyone know when theyre going to be shown? Chicago? When is that?

The big problem with the old model is that the MID-GATE leaks when it rains. They tried to fix it in the past years but it hasn't completly stopped the problem. Hopefully, that was one of the things they made better about it.

Coming from someone who had a first model year 2002 Avalanche for over 2 years, we never had a single leak either. It's a VERY well engineered system, especially for GM, and one thing that always amazed me at how well it worked and how well it was thought out.

That said, besides a few better features like dual-zone HVAC and steering wheel audio controls, the '02 Av was easily a better vehicle than our '04 Suburban we traded it for. Both clearly have virtually identical bones, but the Av's added structural rigidity due to the extra reinforcements around the Midgate is actually pretty noticeable, and I preferred the ride/handling of our Z66 suspension on that to the cheapo "Premium Ride" on the Suburban. Both are really close in SO many aspects, but I still like the Av more after having both. The Mexican-built Av also didn't have to go in for various build quality and mechanical bugs like the Wisconsin-built 'Burban has, either.

Then again, having the 3rd seat and a full-length interior has worked out a lot better for us than the 5 seater/truck bed layout, so the Suburban is still the better fit.

Edited by caddycruiser

Too bad that the 2500 is not sticking around because I was hoping for the Duramax/Allison combination in the Avalanche. Oh well... here's hoping they'll have the hybrid system in it.

lol the deisel wont be in the avalanche sub or tahoe for a while...

but they are working on it...

it wont be a duramax but we'll get a chevy desiel 5.3 or 5.4 or something in subs and tahoes in a year or two...

but currrently the duramax was supposed to be on everything, the subs, tahoes and silverados, maybe the avalanche, but the duramax production capacity is maxxed and... all we are getting is silverados and some express cargo vans...

true but how many 3/4 Avs got sold? i only remeber ever seeing one personnaly.

i've seen one on our used lot... with an 8.1... other then that nothing...

Those pictures are so small that the cammo'd spyshots gave me a better look of the thing.

it looks the same as the tahoe or suburban, but i think the hood is different...

just saw the spec sheet no rear camera but there is a rear park assit no 6.0 three diff. 5.3 one is alumion block and no power rear window so sad sounds like gm drop the ball on the Av

Edited by moosc

i dont have a problem my midgate leaking its a 2005 gm hasnt changed the midgate design still no power window

just saw the spec sheet no rear camera but there is a rear park assit no 6.0 three diff. 5.3 one is alumion block no navigation radio and no power rear window so sad sounds like gm drop the ball on the Av

Umm, rear camera, nav, and pretty much everything available on the Tahoe is available on the Avalanche. I don't know where you got your specs from, but they're incorrect.

Why is it that critics can slam an auto-company for fit-n-finish, and then let another get away with having a tailgate that closes with the top of it being significantly lower than the upper edge of the box...ala Ridgeline?

This only came up because the Avalanche and Ridgeline have that whole similarity in appearance.

Posted Image

From Automotive.com

Edited by ShadowDog

Why is it that critics can slam an auto-company for fit-n-finish, and then let another get away with having a tailgate that closes with the top of it being significantly lower than the upper edge of the box...ala Ridgeline?

This only came up because the Avalanche and Ridgeline have that whole similarity in appearance.

Posted Image

From Automotive.com

Well, because crooked doors or nasty interior materials are in a different league than something like what you see in that picture, which is an INTENDED design feature. Not sure exactly why they did it, but it clearly isn't a "screw-up" per say.

Now if the gate hung funny, with weird gaps on each side when closed, maybe...but not that. Basically, weird design doesn't equal poor attention to details.