This says a lot about the state of our country

I seem to remember something about a requirement or a shifting of making US flags in the US recently. I see no reason why the Fed cannot license reproductions to only be made stateside.

I hang a 48-star flag off my front porch (who woulda guessed ??) ;)

I seem to remember something about a requirement or a shifting of making US flags in the US recently. I see no reason why the Fed cannot license reproductions to only be made stateside.

I hang a 48-star flag off my front porch (who woulda guessed ??) ;)

Because you are still in 1959? Or do you disavow Alaska and Hawaii?

Because you are still in 1959? Or do you disavow Alaska and Hawaii?

clinton did sign something saying we did basically conquered hawaii and forced them to become a state...

clinton did sign something saying we did basically conquered hawaii and forced them to become a state...

I can't speak for Alaska (it's on my to-do list), but I love Hawaii...been there a few times, want to go back and see more of the islands.

Ah...living in delusion from the modern world.. :) Got yer black and white tv, black rotary dial phone also? :)

It's not "delusion", it's choosing quality over whatever moldy ilk happens to be on the shelf. ;)

The 3rd house landline IS a black, Bakelite 1941 'Cyclops Eye' rotary, yes. Ed Sullivan sometimes misdials & rings our house up.

When I was a kid we still used alpha numaric #'s with neiborhood prefix being alpha like cl4-2315 cl= cleveland the east end of Dayton OH. I also have an old Bell sys or labs black Bakelite circa 1943 with 1944 phone book with my Grandmothers number in it along with war bonds sales ad's

I love the modern technology though I miss the simplicity and slower pace of my youth. Not the 3 TV channels though :smilewide:

If I could live in any other frame of time, I'd have to go with the late '70s/early '80s for two reasons only: cheap vintage guitars and cheap muscle cars. I could suffer through all of the bullshit to buy a '65 Strat and a same-era Twin Reverb for less than $1,000 and a '70 442 Olds for less than $2,000.

... :/

Edited by whiteknight

If I could live in any other frame of time, I'd have to go with the late '70s/early '80s for two reasons only: cheap vintage guitars and cheap muscle cars. I could suffer through all of the bullshit to buy a '65 Strat and a same-era Twin Reverb for less than $1,000 and a '70 442 Olds for less than $2,000.

Mullets, muttonchops and Motley Crue.

I dunno dude...

Hmm....had I been the age I am now in '77, I think I'd have had mutton chops, sport coats w/ wide lapels, snazzy aviator sunglasses, and been rollin in a '77 Lincoln Mk V Bill Blass Edition, listening to Led Zeppelin and The Who on the 8-track. That would have been badass.

My brother was 28 in '77, had the mutton chops, handle bar mustache, but drove a Mustang II Mach 1. Not exactly badass. He traded it on a '74 Firebird Formula 400 in '79.

As far as the past, I wouldn't mind still being in 1998 when I was 28--thinner, had hair, and had my M3...but my Motorola Star Tac then was teh weak sauce compared to my Motorola Droid of today.

As far as alternate lives, I'd love to have been a 20-something engineer at NASA in the late '60s...working on the moon mission would have been quite the experience, I think.

Or at the same time on the Arpanet project, working on the original Internet w/ BBN or w/ Kleinrock at UCLA. Pioneering computer science.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

If I could live in any other frame of time, I'd have to go with the late '70s/early '80s for two reasons only: cheap vintage guitars and cheap muscle cars. I could suffer through all of the bull$h! to buy a '65 Strat and a same-era Twin Reverb for less than $1,000 and a '70 442 Olds for less than $2,000.

Amen.

Neither; I disavow 2010.

I, too, love Hawaii, wonder if I'll ever get back there. Hellish plane ride.

Ah...living in delusion from the modern world.. :) Got yer black and white tv, black rotary dial phone also? :)

In the interests of full disclosure I fly a Canadian Red Ensign (our old flag) for somewhat similar reasons.

It's not "delusion", it's choosing quality over whatever moldy ilk happens to be on the shelf. ;)

The 3rd house landline IS a black, Bakelite 1941 'Cyclops Eye' rotary, yes. Ed Sullivan sometimes misdials & rings our house up.

Amen to that. Sometimes at night when there's nothing good on TV I turn on my 1930 General Motors radio.....

radio1.jpg

radio3.jpg

radio2.jpg

.....and my 1954 Westinghouse Mobilaire stand fan if it's hot out.....

fan2.jpg

fan1.jpg

.....and listen to the news or a few innings of a ball game. It's very relaxing. I've been lulled to sleep on numerous occasions by the hum and cool breeze of the fan, and the warm, rich sound that only a tube radio can give. Don't think it'd happen as easy with an iPod and a $h!ty plastic Wal-Mart box fan from China.

Neither; I disavow 2010.

I, too, love Hawaii, wonder if I'll ever get back there. Hellish plane ride.

I've been there, I had a friend from college who lived there.

Wonderful place, nasty plane ride...and I've stopped over there flying back from the far east a couple of times.

Interesting palce, would love to maike it back there.

Oh, and if you go...rent a Mustang convertible. The place would be an awesome place for a convertible...

Amen to that. Sometimes at night when there's nothing good on TV I turn on my 1930 General Motors radio and my 1954 Westinghouse Mobilaire stand fan if it's hot out and listen to the news or a few innings of a ball game. It's very relaxing. I've been lulled to sleep on numerous occasions by the hum and cool breeze of the fan, and the warm, rich sound that only a tube radio can give. Don't think it'd happen as easy with an iPod and a $h!ty plastic Wal-Mart box fan from China.

QFT !!

I surely do miss driving my '64 Cat around- power steering & manual everything else, factory AM thru the dash speaker or the FM converter thru the package shelf twins as the mood strikes... but more often than not- the music of 389 cast iron cubes throbbing underhood.

Sometimes I yearn to drop back into a much different, older era and really relax.

Amen to that. Sometimes at night when there's nothing good on TV I turn on my 1930 General Motors radio.....

radio1.jpg

radio3.jpg

radio2.jpg

fan2.jpg

fan1.jpg

.....and listen to the news or a few innings of a ball game. It's very relaxing. I've been lulled to sleep on numerous occasions by the hum and cool breeze of the fan, and the warm, rich sound that only a tube radio can give. Don't think it'd happen as easy with an iPod and a $h!ty plastic Wal-Mart box fan from China.

i love that fan!

i would collect fans if i could afford to.

i don't go to the art museum much but was there recently. they had part of the exhibit as things from those time periods, industrial and consumer products. they had a cool radio, a bunch of other stuff. the craftsmanship was amazing, yet you could tell it wasn't built to these insane tolerances they build stuff to today. you had a sense of both industrialization and craft.

it would be cool if GM could adopt that in their cars. Buick and Cadillac at least.

I've been there, I had a friend from college who lived there.

Wonderful place, nasty plane ride...and I've stopped over there flying back from the far east a couple of times.

Interesting place, would love to make it back there.

Oh, and if you go...rent a Mustang convertible. The place would be an awesome place for a convertible...

It's an easy flight from Phoenix..direct on Hawaiian Airlines..the 3 times I've been there (twice to Oahu, once to Maui) I've had red Mustang convertibles...the drive from Honolulu up to the north shore via Kaneohe along the eastern coast is incredible..so green. I want to go back and go to the big island.

I really want to go to Alaska, maybe take a cruise up there.

This years' vacations are probably going to be a few long weekends in Denver and the mountains, San Diego or Santa Monica (go to beach to escape the AZ heat), maybe Seattle and the usual family visit to E. Ohio Memorial Day..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

i love that fan!

i would collect fans if i could afford to.

I'm sure you could have afforded this one had you been the lucky one to find it on the side of the road in the garbage instead of me. I'm into it for $3.79 for a new power cord and four hours of disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Can't imagine why somebody would throw a rugged piece of equipment like it out, but I have a feeling it was an estate cleanout after the original owner died. It was in the front of an old Victorian in one of the oldest parts of town, in a huge pile of other stuff that was just as old if not older (leather-covered steamer trunks with hand-stenciled initials on them, wooden file cabinets, etc). It was covered in a thick layer of attic dust, but underneath the pale blue baked enamel was near perfect. Kinda sad that what one generation saved for decades was very unceremoniously dragged to the curb by the next to be carted away. Oh well. Their loss is my gain.

As for other fans, there are literally thousands out there; keep your eyes peeled at flea markets and junk stores. A few bucks and a little elbow grease will reward you with something not only functional, but neat looking and unique. My favorites are the 20's and 30's table fans with brass or copper blades; they really polish up nice.

I'm sure you could have afforded this one had you been the lucky one to find it on the side of the road in the garbage instead of me. I'm into it for $3.79 for a new power cord and four hours of disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Can't imagine why somebody would throw a rugged piece of equipment like it out, but I have a feeling it was an estate cleanout after the original owner died. It was in the front of an old Victorian in one of the oldest parts of town, in a huge pile of other stuff that was just as old if not older (leather-covered steamer trunks with hand-stenciled initials on them, wooden file cabinets, etc). It was covered in a thick layer of attic dust, but underneath the pale blue baked enamel was near perfect. Kinda sad that what one generation saved for decades was very unceremoniously dragged to the curb by the next to be carted away. Oh well. Their loss is my gain.

As for other fans, there are literally thousands out there; keep your eyes peeled at flea markets and junk stores. A few bucks and a little elbow grease will reward you with something not only functional, but neat looking and unique. My favorites are the 20's and 30's table fans with brass or copper blades; they really polish up nice.

During some recent plundering for vintage tube amps and old guitars (I still have a dream of stumbling across a Leo Fender-era Fender-something for under a $100 or, even more unrealistically, thrown aside, dismantled but complete in a plastic bin in a dumpster or on a curb for me to scoop up), I stumbled across a sturdy old '60s or '70s metal frame Lasko-looking something at a local antique shop for a few bucks and some change. The heat here is getting unbearable sometimes during the day. Maybe I'll go back and take it home.

Edited by whiteknight

I have a few fans too: a very nice Westinghouse (down- needs full cord), a tiny Polar Cub, another vintage tabletop unit (brand escapes me) & a large Cool-Air belt-driven window unit.

Also have 2 pedestal/floor fans- I'd guess from the late '40s from the Art Deco-esque designs in the base- the motor looks like it was mounted in half of a WW2 Torpedo casing. Has a cool AL 3-blade fan. Blows like a hurricane.

Thinking about it here, I realize I own another 5 or 6 fans. I guess one could say I'm a fan of fans.

I have been keeping an eye out for one of those tiny rubber-bladed, uncaged fans for use inside cars- would be perfect for my '40.

Edited by balthazar

Mullets, muttonchops and Motley Crue.

I dunno dude...

As far as music goes, I'd just buy up a bunch of Sabbath, Floyd, Zeppelin, CSN/Y, Dire Straits, Fleetwood, Joy Division, Walsh, Eagles, Police, SRV, Hendrix, Television, etc. on vinyl and make it through alright.

Hair is hair. IDGAF as long as I'm not the one with a mullet and muttonchops.

radio1.jpg

radio3.jpg

radio2.jpg

fan2.jpg

fan1.jpg

Now THAT is cool..I'd love to have stuff like that.....

Now THAT is cool..I'd love to have stuff like that.....

Plenty more where that came from. I love collecting and buying and selling and trading old stuff. And not just things that have no purpose other than to sit on a shelf and look neat like my ever-expanding pressed steel toy collection (which has been getting bigger almost by the day as of late; I'm about to block craigslist for a while I think), but also things I can use in my day to day life. There's plenty of life left in these old things, so no need to buy new all the time. Remember: the greenest products are the ones that already exist.

i may have to go rummage saling. i love fans. that's a great tip.

i may have to go rummage saling. i love fans. that's a great tip.

They're about the best thing out there if you want neat old stuff on a budget. I know I couldn't afford almost all of the collectibles I have if I wasn't out pounding the pavement for them; I can't sit at home and pay above top dollar on eBay like some people can. Flea markets are awesome.