Sign in to follow this  
wildcat

New Pontiac Firebird in 2009?

57 posts in this topic

wildcat    0

Peter DeLorenzo discusses the demise of the GTO in the "On the Table" section of his February 22nd issue.

And he says, "After the new Camaro makes its street debut as a 2008 model, watch for an all-new Pontiac Firebird to debut 12 months later as a 2009 model."

Click here to view his website autoextremist.com.

Edited by wildcat

Newbiewar    1

Lutz already stated publicly that there will be no Firebird, only the Camaro.

no thats not what he said...

he said that pontiac would simply not just get another "clone"...

he didnt say that it wouldn't receive another car based off the same platform...

and if i remember correctly he never mentioned the firebirds name.

wildcat    0

Don't forget, FWIW, there also was the January 31st article by Jamie Lareau, "GM's LaNeve says automaker will sell product, not price," in which Lareau asked Mark LaNeve a couple of pointed questions:

Does Pontiac need a Firebird?

"Any kind of a rear-drive, performance-oriented vehicle is something we should look at for Pontiac. Whether it's a coupe or sedan, that remains to be seen."

Wouldn't it compete with the Chevy Camaro if GM builds that?

"I'm not speculating on any of that, but a rear-drive performance-oriented product would be a good fit for Pontiac."

NOS2006    11

In your opinion, should Pontiac do a GTO plus a Firebird and a G8?

If I'm understanding this right.. no.

Firebird or GTO has to be cut; I'd say Firebird. The G8 will keep the same essence of today's Bonneville/Gran Prix. The GTO should be very sporty more than, say, muscular. I'd hope for it to be a RWD/AWD coupe (maybe small suicides too, a la '99 Charger concept) with styling like the Motor Trend sketch from a little while ago. I would hope for a base engine to be a 3.9 Turbo'd but that's ultra-unrealistic, so I'd say a couple V8s and it's good to go.

wildcat    0

Yes, you understood the question. But what if GM thinks the GTO was somewhat of a flop, in their eyes. Maybe they'd rather try reviving the Firebird name? Maybe they'll assign GTO to a trim level of a G8?

<_< Maybe they haven't decided or don't know what to do.

And if they do a Firebird, what will that mean for the proposal to do a bunch of small RWD Pontiacs off of Kappa? Would the Firebird be the Pontiac "flagship" then?

NOS2006    11

Yes, you understood the question.  But what if GM thinks the GTO was somewhat of a flop, in their eyes.  Maybe they'd rather try reviving the Firebird name?  Maybe they'll assign GTO to a trim level of a G8?

I like that idea. However, GM knows the GTO isn't a flop, it just needs a bit more testosterone on the sheetmetal.

<_< Maybe they haven't decided or don't know what to do.

Seems like typical GM, eh? :P

And if they do a Firebird, what will that mean for the proposal to do a bunch of small RWD Pontiacs off of Kappa?  Would the Firebird be the Pontiac "flagship" then?

I don't think a bunch of Kappas would make sense for Pontiac unless they dump the new G5 in favor of RWD (whoa, this is starting to seem feasible). Yes, indeed, they could make the "stop-gap" G5 turn into something similarly small and RWD. Keep the G6 (well, updated of course), keep the Solstice, and add the G8 as mentioned above. I think we're onto something. :thumbsup:

Yet, on the same note, you're not saying the Firebird should be Kappa, right?

Edited by NOS2006

Lutz already stated publicly that there will be no Firebird, only the Camaro.

Yes.... in an article discussing the '04 GTO about two years ago he was asked if the Firebird might ever make a reappearance in the Pontiac lineup and he said "perhaps in another 30 years" referring to the three decade hiatus the GTO had.

This is the same article where he said that the GTO will be a permanent flagship model for Pontiac from now on. Last time I menationed this quote I got roasted like a leg of lamb.

NOS2006    11

I could've sworn the 30 year comment was about Camaro; we had a thread, "40 year anniversary party," around this time...

wildcat    0

:PSixty8panther: Roasted like a leg of lamb? Get the tzatziki sauce ready!

NOS2006: No, Firebird probably shouldn't be on Kappa. But I'm open-minded. Whatever will restore Pontiac. [ I like Pontiac second only to Buick. ] And who's to say Pontiac can't have all three big guns (GTO, Firebird, G8 / Grand Prix) at the same time? They did in the late '60s.

Edited by wildcat

Dsuupr    12

In the end it's the product not the name that counts. Though using the hertiage of those products to come out with a great modern version of them is a great idea.

Camino LS6    866

This is what I believe we can count on: There will be a RWD sedan and coupe for Pontiac on the Zeta-lite architecture and that there will be a performance version of the coupe. Most likely it will be named GTO, although I'm sure the name Firebird comes up in the planning meetings often.

The Firebird name is most likely to remain dead for the forseeable future as it is way too closely tied to Camaro and thus, would undermine GM's efforts to differentiate the brands if used.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

And who's to say Pontiac can't have all three big guns (GTO, Firebird, G8 / Grand Prix) at the same time?  They did in the late '60s.

Spoken like a true enthusiast! :pontiac:

NOS2006    11

Well I think they should make the G8 with a coupe option (GTO) and a smaller RWD coupe, Firebird, but styled way differently than the Camaro and come with AWD and a turbo'd version.

ehaase    18

If you're lucky, the GTO may come back as a high performance version of the Pontiac G8 sedan around 2011. It wouldn't surprise me if Camaro is the only Zeta coupe. GM can't spend money funding projects that may not be profitable.

wildcat    0

This is what I believe we can count on: There will be a RWD sedan and coupe for Pontiac on the Zeta-lite architecture and that there will be a performance version of the coupe. Most likely it will be named GTO, although I'm sure the name Firebird comes up in the planning meetings often.

The Firebird name is most likely to remain dead for the forseeable future as it is way too closely tied to Camaro and thus, would undermine GM's efforts to differentiate the brands if used.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

ehaase and Camino LS6: How do you feel about the suggestion that Pontiac become a line of small, agile, RWD cars... based off Kappa? Is that preferable to do? If GM makes a RWD Pontiac sedan and/or coupe on Zeta-lite, wouldn't that delay for at least a few years afterwards the possibility of a line based on smaller cars?

ehaase    18

The insiders say that Kappa can't be used for anything more than 2 seat sports coupes. Possibly a small 4 door coupe like the Mazda RX8. GM would basically have to design a new small RWD platform. I think that these small RWD cars would be interesting (not my kind of car though), but I don't know that GM has the funds to develop such a platform. It would be ideal for new Pontiacs and a real 3 series competitor for Cadillac.

NOS2006    11

Exactly! Build a RX8 competitor for Pontiac along with the Solstice, G8 (with GTO coupe option), and sneak a not-so-pure-to-its-name Firebird in there between the G8 and RX competitor.

What is the G5 a stop-gap for? It should be the Kappa 4-seater!

99camaroSS    0

Exactly! Build a RX8 competitor for Pontiac along with the Solstice, G8 (with GTO coupe option), and sneak a not-so-pure-to-its-name Firebird in there between the G8 and RX competitor.

What is the G5 a stop-gap for? It should be the Kappa 4-seater!

in an ideal world..... until then its only more of this :banghead:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this