Dodge launches new Journey for 2011

Drew Dowdell

Dodge launches new Journey for 2011

gallery_51_49_519943.png

2011 Dodge Journey Crosses Over: A Gorgeous New Spirit and a Driver’s Soul

October 20, 2010 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - It’s not over yet. Dodge continues to unleash new products to the market; today, introducing the new 2011 Dodge Journey, its mid-size crossover with “right sized” proportions, five- or seven-passenger seating, innovative storage solutions, abundant safety and security features, all-wheel-drive capability and models packaged for a variety of lifestyles. For 2011, Dodge takes what was good and makes it better. The Dodge Journey receives a major overhaul with a completely redesigned and retuned suspension, a new V-6 engine and a gorgeous new interior. And that’s not all. Journey also features the latest and greatest in vehicle connectivity and customization with the Chrysler Group’s new PowerNet electrical architecture. Owners will feel like they have the world at their fingertips with the Journey’s available touch-screen command center, Uconnect Touch.

From navigation to dual-zone climate controls to the ability to check fuel prices, the all-new Uconnect Touch media center makes life in the new 2011 Dodge Journey an excellent adventure for the driver and passengers. Four Uconnect Touch models are available, all featuring easy-to-use controls and class-leading technology. With its touch-screen display and user-friendly touch-key categories, connecting and controlling personal devices is simple, intuitive and customizable.

gallery_51_49_327341.png

The 2011 Dodge Journey is nimble, composed and handles well in all driving and road conditions. Chrysler Group engineers improved routine ride handling by re-engineering the suspension geometry, adding new, improved premium tires and redesigning the steering for a more precise and coordinated response. Overall, customers will be treated to an energetic, fun-to-drive experience behind the wheel.

In addition, at 283 horsepower and 260 lb.-ft. of torque, the 2011 Dodge Journey equipped with the new 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine delivers a 20 percent boost in power compared with the V-6 engine it replaces. It’s mated to the smooth-shifting six-speed transmission.

Drivers also will be treated to a smooth, quiet ride. Engineers reduced noise, vibration and harshness by installing new, premium sound-deadening treatments and insulation throughout the vehicle.

But perhaps the most rewarding surprise is Journey’s new interior. Customers will step into world-class levels of craftsmanship and comfort. A beautifully crafted one-piece instrument panel sets the tone. A new, larger cluster with standard electronic vehicle information center (EVIC) is positioned in the center of the new gauges. It’s a full-color display backlit in Dodge red lights, giving it a soft glow unlike any in the segment. New, integrated center stack bezels are less angular and more sculpted, and designers softened the radius to make more room for the driver’s knees. The heating and cooling outlets are also redesigned to make them better looking and better functioning.

The center console gets a lot of extra cushion on the tilt-and-slide armrest. Lift the lid, and there’s a larger center storage bin with a 12-volt outlet and USB port where owners can hook up their MP3/iPod charging connections and hide them away.

gallery_51_49_352661.png

The design team also worked to make the Journey’s interior more comfortable. They moved the shifter and cupholders, making it easier for drivers and passengers to get their coffee and soda without having to lean over and under the dash. There’s also a larger front storage bin with side nets. The new multi-functioning three-spoke Dodge brand steering wheel with integrated controls and a wider, longer, soft-touch armrest transform the driver’s seat into a cockpit-like experience. Comfortable new seats might just make drivers want to take the long way home to get a little extra seat time. The Dodge Journey offers six new interior color and trims to complete the makeover.

gallery_51_49_248730.png

On the outside, Journey maintains its sculpted, clean, aggressive lines, and adds a new front fascia that sports the signature Dodge Brand “split crosshair” honeycomb grille. The fog lamp bezels are bigger and bolder, and Journey models with the Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6 get a new, unique more aggressive lower fascia with the honeycomb texture in the grille (late availability). New 19-inch wheels, a new, less angular rear fascia and “ring of fire” LED taillamps wrap it up from front to back.

Journey also is loaded with an abundance of safety and security features, including: standard advanced multi-stage front passenger air bags, active head restraints, electronic stability control (ESC) with all-speed traction control, electronic roll mitigation and brake assist, new driver-side knee blocker air bag, supplemental side-curtain air bags covering all three rows, supplemental front-seat-mounted side air bags, four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, LATCH child seat anchor system and trailer sway control.

The Dodge Journey is built in at Chrysler Group LLC’s Toluca Assembly Plant in Toluca, Mexico. It will arrive in U.S. dealerships in fourth quarter of 2010.

Behind what though?

The main competition is the Mazda 5... and it's certainly not behind that interior.

They're calling this thing a crossover... but it's certainly more minivan than SUV. And that's not a bad thing. The Mazda5 and the Journey are the only two real entries in this segment.

This is the ideal young family car for those who aren't ready to step up to a mini-van and don't want the mileage penalty or initial cost of a CUV.

• Agree 1

It just looks a lot more like a Euro style people mover to me, albeit with a butch American grill. It doesn't sit up high like a 'Nox and has better interior packaging than the Chevy as well.

It's more a short wheelbase Caravan yet without the baggage that the mini-van classification carries.To me, it's a modern Dodge Colt Vista... and that's not a bad thing.

I think it's one of the most compelling vehicles in the entire Chrysler lineup and probably one of the best value for dollar prospects on the market.

But hey, if calling it a CUV instead of a people mover makes you feel better and helps Chrysler with sales.... then have at it.

• Agree 1

Never really thought of it like that. It just doesn't look like a fan to me...since minvians/MPVs tend to have more sloping noses and sliding doors. But it does have packaging like a minivan. So whatever your fancy. IIRC the Journey has been a good seller for Dodge, so I think these worthwhile improvements will really help increase sales.

If Ford sold a competitor here:

Ford_S-max_293.jpg

If Volkswagon sold a competitor here:

vw-sharan.jpg

If Opel Saturn Buick sold a competitor here.

2008-opel-zafira-unveiled.jpg

Now they may vary slightly in size compared to the Journey, but they're the same basic package. Just add a butch "American" nose to them and they become a Crossover instead of a people mover? I... don't think so. That said, I still like the Journey better than any of the above choices. (not counting the ability to buy the Euros in a diesel, but hey, can't have everything)

Any one know if the Journey is available in Europe for sale? It would probably do relatively well there if offered with a diesel.

Interior looks fantastic, especially compare to the plastic hellhole that is the current car.

Couldn't have said it better.

Journey is not a minivan. it doesnt have the deep cargo well. the cargo well on the journey is SUV high it doesnt go into the floor.

Edited by regfootball

The new interior looks great in the photos. Nice job. And I know the short-wheelbase Caravan was dropped around the same time the Journey appeared, but I just cannot put this in a minivan box. The nose is too long, the interior is too cozy, not cavernous like a minivan. I think of this as a CUV, going up against the Equinox, et al. And I love the fact that the third row seat is not foisted on customers who do not need it, it remains an option, hopefully, with this update.

• Agree 1

well at least they didn't uck it up. i sat in a new jeep the other day. interior is well done. hope it carries through to this.

I think the Italians have a grip on things....finally....

I remember how much I liked my Concorde, which was a 1994. I feel like Chryco has a lost decade. robin williams made a movie called Awakenings, IIRC. To me what's going on at Chryco is kind of the same thing.

Behind what though?

The main competition is the Mazda 5... and it's certainly not behind that interior.

They're calling this thing a crossover... but it's certainly more minivan than SUV. And that's not a bad thing. The Mazda5 and the Journey are the only two real entries in this segment.

This is the ideal young family car for those who aren't ready to step up to a mini-van and don't want the mileage penalty or initial cost of a CUV.

Gotta say.. my friend traded their Corolla in on the Mazda5, and it just doesn't do it for me. I mean, they wanted more room. My knees still touch the dash with the seat back. And adults can't sit in the third row. That's essentially seating for the dog now.

The new interior looks great in the photos. Nice job. And I know the short-wheelbase Caravan was dropped around the same time the Journey appeared, but I just cannot put this in a minivan box. The nose is too long, the interior is too cozy, not cavernous like a minivan. I think of this as a CUV, going up against the Equinox, et al. And I love the fact that the third row seat is not foisted on customers who do not need it, it remains an option, hopefully, with this update.

exactly

FWIW, the Kia Sorento also you do not need to get the third row. The Sorento is a bit larger inside than the journey I think. you can also get a manual in the Sorento, if you so desire.

K-K-K-Kia.......(sung just like CH-CH-CH-Chia)

Edited by regfootball

When did some idiot at Chrysler decide that a full gauge compliment was

not necessary for those incompetent American drivers? No oil pressure?

Can't tell from the instruments! No voltage? Can't tell again! And don't

tell me that idiot lights are as good! They usually only respond AFTER

the failure has occurred! You can read that as $$$$$ for the shop!

At least offer an option ----- but where could you put it?!

Gotta say.. my friend traded their Corolla in on the Mazda5, and it just doesn't do it for me. I mean, they wanted more room. My knees still touch the dash with the seat back. And adults can't sit in the third row. That's essentially seating for the dog now.

if you buy a mazda5, you are (or should be) interested in a vehicle of COMPACT size, yet has that occasional bonus third row seat. When the third row is folded down, it has a bit bigger cargo area than a hatchback or smaller crossover. then there is the sliding doors for convenience.

anyone with space perception should know on site without a doubt that the Mazda5's interior space is not in any way going to compare to a traditional minivan. In return what the Mazda5 gives you is a more manueverable, flickable, tall expanded compact hatch.

The Journey looks to be a decent tweener size between the Mazda5 and a typical minivan. However, the Journeys cargo hold is way up high like the CUV it is. It does not have the interior efficiency of a minivan. Like the Edge, and other vehicles of its type, it just doesn't pack the utility that a true minivan does.

ANother valid example is the old Mazda MPV (which I consider to be a very good size minivan for someone who doesn't want the whole massiveness of the current vans) vs. the CX9. The CX9 is fairly useless as a cargo carrier. The MPV was a sweet tween spot between what we see is the current Mazda5 and the size of the grand caravan. MPV was terribly efficient. The public responded by not buying it, Mazda couldn't mark up the price like the CX9. The MPV was also unattractive (and had a bad powertrain).

Anyone who says the word 'van' in terms of what they want for a family vehicle, i would send them directly to a Honda dealer now. I saw a new Ody parked at a neighbor's house today and Kardashian butt and all, it looked pretty rakish for a van. Having sat in one, it's VAST, yet doesn't feel like a bus. The Odyssey is the space efficiency template that all van makers ought to follow.

CUV's like the Journey in no way should be confused with a minivan.

The Aztek like mine and the Rendezvoux were the best rendition of getting a CUV close to a minivan. In fact, I would almost pretty much call them minivans on a short wheel base because the floor was flat from the front all the way back. I can't think of any other CUV's that came as close to van packaging as they did.

THe Journey does not. Neither in its look or in its packaging.

Any idea what base price on a 4 cyl base Journey would be for 2011? Might be a sleeper great buy.

If I were Chrysler I would AX the Jeep Patriot (and what is to become of the Liberty?) and I would move the Patriot name or something like it to this chassis / clone. Patriot is a nasty ride, if Jeep wants a CUV below the Grand Cherokee, it needs to be here.

Edited by regfootball

if you buy a mazda5, you are (or should be) interested in a vehicle of COMPACT size, yet has that occasional bonus third row seat. When the third row is folded down, it has a bit bigger cargo area than a hatchback or smaller crossover. then there is the sliding doors for convenience.

anyone with space perception should know on site without a doubt that the Mazda5's interior space is not in any way going to compare to a traditional minivan. In return what the Mazda5 gives you is a more manueverable, flickable, tall expanded compact hatch.

The Journey looks to be a decent tweener size between the Mazda5 and a typical minivan. However, the Journeys cargo hold is way up high like the CUV it is. It does not have the interior efficiency of a minivan. Like the Edge, and other vehicles of its type, it just doesn't pack the utility that a true minivan does.

ANother valid example is the old Mazda MPV (which I consider to be a very good size minivan for someone who doesn't want the whole massiveness of the current vans) vs. the CX9. The CX9 is fairly useless as a cargo carrier. The MPV was a sweet tween spot between what we see is the current Mazda5 and the size of the grand caravan. MPV was terribly efficient. The public responded by not buying it, Mazda couldn't mark up the price like the CX9. The MPV was also unattractive (and had a bad powertrain).

Anyone who says the word 'van' in terms of what they want for a family vehicle, i would send them directly to a Honda dealer now. I saw a new Ody parked at a neighbor's house today and Kardashian butt and all, it looked pretty rakish for a van. Having sat in one, it's VAST, yet doesn't feel like a bus. The Odyssey is the space efficiency template that all van makers ought to follow.

CUV's like the Journey in no way should be confused with a minivan.

The Aztek like mine and the Rendezvoux were the best rendition of getting a CUV close to a minivan. In fact, I would almost pretty much call them minivans on a short wheel base because the floor was flat from the front all the way back. I can't think of any other CUV's that came as close to van packaging as they did.

THe Journey does not. Neither in its look or in its packaging.

Any idea what base price on a 4 cyl base Journey would be for 2011? Might be a sleeper great buy.

If I were Chrysler I would AX the Jeep Patriot (and what is to become of the Liberty?) and I would move the Patriot name or something like it to this chassis / clone. Patriot is a nasty ride, if Jeep wants a CUV below the Grand Cherokee, it needs to be here.

Taurus X/Freestyle, too. Those were some pretty space-efficient big wagons with relatively low loading floors. I love its Odyssey-style reverse folding third row that leaves a nice well with the seats up. Normal SUV fold-flat designs pretty much mandate a high liftover.

edit: CR-V and RAV4 are pretty good, too. Especially the old ones... when the CR-V had no rear bumper and its tailgate swung to the side.

Basically fold-flat seats are inherently space inefficient if they don't fold INTO the floor (e.g., Stow N Go) or if they're not removable.

If Ford sold a competitor here:

Ford_S-max_293.jpg

If Volkswagon sold a competitor here:

vw-sharan.jpg

If Opel Saturn Buick sold a competitor here.

2008-opel-zafira-unveiled.jpg

Now they may vary slightly in size compared to the Journey, but they're the same basic package. Just add a butch "American" nose to them and they become a Crossover instead of a people mover? I... don't think so. That said, I still like the Journey better than any of the above choices. (not counting the ability to buy the Euros in a diesel, but hey, can't have everything)

Any one know if the Journey is available in Europe for sale? It would probably do relatively well there if offered with a diesel.

Honestly, I don't see it at all. Those look like MPVs or mini-minivans. Narrow, tall, small wheels. The Journey has the proportions (and space inefficiency) of a normal crossover.

Edited by pow

I've posted this world elsewhere about it...stunning.

That's a quick refresh by Fiat/Chrysler, and absolutely stunning. Not just "better than before", all new and wow.

To think of how many other vehicles, not just Chrysler, but other makers could use such treatment...all new glam & quality inside, new engine, etc. And done quickly. Wow.

Stick shift aside, this is what is is/was...

dodge-journey-int.jpg

They're not messing around. Period.

Edited by caddycruiser

Honestly, I don't see it at all. Those look like MPVs or mini-minivans. Narrow, tall, small wheels. The Journey has the proportions (and space inefficiency) of a normal crossover.

Ya, those are MPVs...the closest European Ford/GM competitors to the Journey are the Kuga and Captiva. The Journey is a CUV, not an MPV.

What was that I posted then? A really good photoshop?

:yes:

The VW Sharan is way too boxy as is the Touran. The Touran gets to the point of looking puketastic IMHO. But I guess minivans are supposed to look like that as their purpose is to be extremely functional boxes. Which, incidentally and totally off topic, is the reason why GMC shuold built the Granite perhaps using the Opel Meriva's platform: it wold be a functional little box AND it would look great.

Taurus X/Freestyle, too. Those were some pretty space-efficient big wagons with relatively low loading floors. I love its Odyssey-style reverse folding third row that leaves a nice well with the seats up. Normal SUV fold-flat designs pretty much mandate a high liftover.

edit: CR-V and RAV4 are pretty good, too. Especially the old ones... when the CR-V had no rear bumper and its tailgate swung to the side.

Basically fold-flat seats are inherently space inefficient if they don't fold INTO the floor (e.g., Stow N Go) or if they're not removable.

that's why my other vehicle is a Taurus X. groceries in the trunk, even with the third row in use.

my azteks flip/ tumble / remove seats were a godsend. i would never want sto n go. if i wanted a chrysler van, i would get a routan.

right now, the new odyssey is the way to go if you want a van.

Edited by regfootball

that's why my other vehicle is a Taurus X. groceries in the trunk, even with the third row in use.

my azteks flip/ tumble / remove seats were a godsend. i would never want sto n go. if i wanted a chrysler van, i would get a routan.

right now, the new odyssey is the way to go if you want a van.

My in laws have stow and go...it is wonderful also.

And reg, I analogize to you...you once praised the Routan and I thought you were nuts, It's a decent van. as is the Odyssey.

My in laws have stow and go...it is wonderful also.

And reg, I analogize to you...you once praised the Routan and I thought you were nuts, It's a decent van. as is the Odyssey.

Sto N Go's big albatross is that is raises the floor so much and the seats are pathetic uncomfortable devices.

step in height for the Odyssey vs. the Chrysler vans......the Chrysler vans are taller and it results in no net benefit.

Go look at the second row buckets for the dodge van and then look at the Routan's seats. Now tell me which one an adult would rather sit in.

The Routan does not drive as well as my Taurus X or a Flex. But the Routan / Chrysler van has the space. So why they muck it up with dysfunctional seating is beyond me.

The sto and go worked better on the previous gen vans because it did not alter the packaging of the existing van. When Chrysler redesigned the vans, they made them more ponderous and larger, and there really is not a functional benefit.

If you are strictly talking passenger space and comfort (leg room) there is almost no benefit to a Chrysler van / Routan vs. my Taurus X or a Flex. or an Odyssey.

Chrysler with Sto and Go and Swivel and Go violated one of the prime attributes of the minivan....maximizing function vs space. Space in the floor for storage is not worth anything when people's feet are on top of it. A typical set of toddlers will pitch junk all over the floor.....hardly making it easy to access the storage. And contrary to belief, you are rarely ever going to have the second row stowed. Its handy when you do, its just not as often as they want you to think.

I would rather have the Routan's adult / comfortable seats. And we go to the next level, I'd rather have the odyssey or the Flex with the more efficient floor design.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Well, I agree with you partially.

Kill the nonsensical Compass, keep the recently-refreshed and decent-selling current Patriot for a bit longer, and then redesign it on an evolution of the Journey's platform in a few years. Keep it reasonably-sized (no third seat for the Jeep version, thank you), make it nimble in town, and add an optional Trail Rated package for those who want it (like me).

The current Patriot is admittedly a pretty substandard beast even with its revised interior, but it does one thing right in attempting to get some real off-road ability out of an economical package. I'd appreciate more work along those lines from Jeep in the future - along with the usual harder-core stuff like the new Grand, the Liberty (hopefully with the new 3.6 engine soon) and the Wrangler.

I mean, if the Russians have been selling crossovers like this successfully for decades...

Phillip_91LadaNiva_1RR.jpg

...I'd think Jeep could get on the same bandwagon by now, and do an even better job of it.

(By the way, this is my first post in a while - good to see the C&G crew remains as sharp as ever!)

• Agree 1