Hey, You Look Familiar - GM Introduces Chevrolet Captiva Sport For Fleets

Hey, You Look Familiar - GM Introduces Chevrolet Captiva Sport For Fleets

post-10485-0-04547600-1299870607.png

Chevrolet Captiva Sport to Help Meet Fleet Customer Demand for Compact Crossovers

March 11, 2011 - DETROIT – Chevrolet will introduce the Captiva Sport, a new entry to the U.S market, later this year to help satisfy growing demand for compact crossovers by fleet customers. The Captiva Sport is a variant of the globally successful Chevrolet Captiva compact crossover.

Variants of the compact crossover are sold in more than 50 markets across Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, the Middle East and South America. The U.S.-specific version will give fleet customers a contemporary five-seat crossover with a comprehensive range of features and amenities, and will also address their need for roominess, utility and fuel efficiency.

“It says a lot about our ability to draw on international programs and proven, quality crossovers that we were able to identify and federalize a strong new entrant such as Captiva Sport for the U.S. market,” said Alan Batey, U.S. vice president, Chevrolet Sales and Service. “We turned to our global network for a solution to quickly meet the rising demand from local fleet customers and continue to meet strong retail demand for the Equinox.”

The Captiva Sport will be available for delivery in the fourth quarter of 2011, as a 2012 model.

The Chevrolet Equinox continues to show strong retail sales growth, with retail sales up 98 percent in February compared with the same month last year. Chevrolet expects sales retail sales to remain strong, in part due to its 32 mpg highway fuel economy rating, higher than the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Ford Escape.

The Captiva Sport features either an Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected four-cylinder or 3.0L direct-injected V-6 engine – each matched with a fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission. Because the crossover is based on a proven GM global architecture, only minor revisions are required to meet federal standards, allowing Chevrolet to fast-track the Captiva Sport for the United States.

The Captiva Sport will be offered in LS and LT models, with four trim packages, including an all-wheel-drive model (LTZ). All models feature 17-inch aluminum wheels, XM Satellite Radio, six-speaker sound system, four-wheel disc brakes with antilock, traction control, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, air conditioning, power locks and windows (with driver’s express down) and remote keyless entry.

Uplevel LT and LTZ models include the V-6 engine (with dual exhaust), along with OnStar and Bluetooth phone connectivity. A rear-view camera and leather trim package – including leather-trimmed and heated front seats – are standard on LTZ and available on other trims. The LTZ trim also includes a 10-speaker sound system and a sunroof.

“The range of features offered by the Captiva Sport is as rich as any Chevrolet vehicle,” said Batey. “Our fleet customers will find it to be a versatile vehicle that gives them the cargo capacity they need, in a fuel efficient package that will help keep their ownership costs in check.”

Under the skin

At the core of the Captiva Sport is a European-inspired driving character, with a stiff, steel body-frame integral structure complemented by a MacPherson strut independent front suspension and independent multi-link rear suspension. An isolated engine cradle enhances quietness and contributes to a smooth ride.

Standard on all models are four-wheel antilock disc brakes, traction control and StabiliTrak electronic stability control – systems that work together to provide outstanding vehicle control

In addition to handling features such as StabiliTrak that help drivers avoid crashes, the Captiva Sport helps protect occupants with its high-strength steel structure and a long list of standard occupant-protection safety features. Dual-stage front-seat air bags, front-seat side thorax air bags and rollover capable head curtain air bags covering front and rear rows are standard on all models.

Other standard safety features include front-row safety belt pretensioners, Pedal Release System that decouples the brake pedal in a crash to avoid injuries, active head restraints, tire pressure monitoring system, automatic power door locks and side turn signal lamps.

I agree. Keep Equinox resale values high by offering this to Avis, Alamo, etc. Might not be a bad option for taxi/airport delivery either. The Vue was a fine vehicle, and it actually looks decent as a Chevy.

However, keep it out of dealer showrooms.

I prefer the VUE to the Equinox in several respects (higher quality interior, more manageable size) so I wouldn't mind if they sold this version to retail customers as well. The biggest problem with the VUE was its powertrains; the addition of a direct-injected I4 with a six-speed automatic fixes that.

• Agree 1

Ok, so it's just using excess capacity. Not a bad move.

I can't imagine that federalizing it was too hard... someone has the plans for the Vue saved on a hard drive somewhere I'm sure.

The bumper is probably the same as the VUE's and the hood with the Chevrolet logo is from the model sold in Brazil, so it was probably the cheapest rebadge in history. It's a clever idea since they are keeping it as fleet-only.

This should be for retail as well. Why no 7-passenger version?

If it was retail, it'd create the same reaction as when GM put a Buick badge on it.

Referencing the euro branding of the Thetas, this is an Opel Antara not a Chevrolet Captiva. The Antara comes as a 5-seater only as the rear overhang is some 4 inches shorter than the Captiva's :AH-HA:

Edited by ZL-1

This should be for retail as well. Why no 7-passenger version?

If it was retail, it'd create the same reaction as when GM put a Buick badge on it.

Referencing the euro branding of the Thetas, this is an Opel Antara not a Chevrolet Captiva. The Antara comes as a 5-seater only as the rear overhang is some 4 inches shorter than the Captiva's :AH-HA:

I stand corrected. I did look at some photos on Google and was confused about how different the Euro Captiva looked. As far as the VUE rebadging, well, this works a lot better as a Chevrolet than it does as a Buick, design-wise.

Edited by Croc

It's probably a combination of using excess capacity and protecting Equinox resale value. I'd agree it makes little to no sense as a retail offering.

I prefer the VUE to the Equinox in several respects (higher quality interior, more manageable size) so I wouldn't mind if they sold this version to retail customers as well. The biggest problem with the VUE was its powertrains; the addition of a direct-injected I4 with a six-speed automatic fixes that.

What's wrong with its powertrains? My parents have a VUE XR and it's got a 3.6 and six-speed automatic trans. It's pretty smooth and has good power without being too bad on gas.

agree. i prefer the vue too. equinox has a bit more space in the Nox........maybe there will be a nice used Captiva someday in my future....

Edited by regfootball

agree. i prefer the vue too. equinox has a bit more space in the Nox........maybe there will be a nice used Captiva someday in my future....

The moment I saw this article I thought. . . Reg would likely pick up a used one of these.

It's probably a combination of using excess capacity and protecting Equinox resale value. I'd agree it makes little to no sense as a retail offering.

Well, if it were offered to retail, it would give GM a compact CUV..something to compete w/ the Patriot, Escape, CR-V, Rav-4, Tucson, Sportage, etc..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The moment I saw this article I thought. . . Reg would likely pick up a used one of these.

like the vue. ex fleet with say 10-15k miles on it? would be a nice getabout.

the equinox' only real functional advantage is rear seat space. the cargo hold on the equinox is not efficient. the vue has a little better visibility. with the new 6 speed it would be nice. i hope they tweaked the console a bit.

Keep in mind folks, why didn't they fleet the Orlando? Shows ya something when they will even fleet a mega year old vue before an orlando.

Edited by regfootball

Well, if it were offered to retail, it would give GM a compact CUV..something to compete w/ the Patriot, Escape, CR-V, Rav-4, Tucson, Sportage, etc..

i'd take one over all on that list except tucson / sportage and even then the captiva is a higher quality piece.

• 4 months later...

I have always wondered about the idea of having different cars that would be sold to fleets vs retail customers, but still offered up to date features. Not like Malibu Classic vs Malibu.

Agreed!

Ford is dumb to discontinue the Panther chassis, they could have kept selling them for three more decades!

If you peel back that bowtie sticker you just might find a "6th Planet" logo.

Edited by Sixty8panther

• 2 weeks later...