The 2007 Saturn Aura

Saturn AURA (so far) - Hot or Not?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Saturn AURA (so far) - Hot or Not?

• Hot
    • Not
    • Undecided - need more pics

how many complaints can we get going for the wider chrome bar before it gets replaced for the concept's thinner bar? seriously, that is really fugging up the front end.

I agree, that alone makes the car look less aggressive.

As for as the exterior looks go, the aura, in my mind, just went from serious contender for my dollars to something average at best.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that just crossed my mind. I like Lutz, hell he's gotten me into these enthusiast groups but I do wonder how he will sugar coat this in the FastLane Blog.

Welcome to the Neighborhood! :P

And thank you. Its a very good-looking car.

It is a very good looking car, possibly best looking in its class with the Fusion being a close contender.

Which is why I can't figure out why everyone is having a fit over it.

Guest YellowJacket894

I like it. And I have no complaints, either.

Like Bowtie_Dude, I'm puzzled as to why there is so much complaining about the car. It's fine. Don't make me post photos of the L-Series to remind you of what could have been.

Don't make me post photos of the L-Series to remind you of what could have been.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Different era, different promises but more importantly, more at stake.

This car is mediocre at best. Which will not cut it in todays market place at sticker. It just won't.

This car is mediocre at best. Which will not cut it in todays market place at sticker. It just won't.

Mediocre? Why though? If this is the best of the epsilons, where does mediocre leave the G6, Malibu, and 9-3?

Let's not lose our heads here....

Guest YellowJacket894

I guess I must be stupider than I think, but I still fail to see how wheel flares and a front fasica make a car a premature failure in the marketplace.

Anyhow, I still think the car is great and I would give it some time before I'd say it "will not cut it in today's marketplace at sticker."

Edited by YellowJacket894

The G6 coupe is terrible. Bob Lutz has said since it's introduction that the interior must change and now we're what? Three years into it's introduction yet still no change?

How long did the hard-top take before it was released?

I will give you some background on the G6.

I sent an e-mail to the then Pontiac media contact. This was when it was announced to Automotive News that they would release the sedan version well before the coupe version. I jumped up and said "NO WAY!"

I sent an e-mail to a female that handled the Pontiac brand. I said this:

"Miss XXXX,

Please reconsider your introduction of the Pontiac G6 sedan well before the introduction of the Pontiac G6 Coupe." I said, 'If you need any reason as to why, then please take a look at the media bashing that has taken place on the Saturn ION and the quick judgement to name that car a failure due to low sales figures because just a sedan was released."

I said "The same will happen to the G6. The media will jump all over it due to sales figures because it will not be tracking in sales as the vehicle it is replaced, the Pontiac Grand Am."

I continues "You must somehow find a way to release the G6 sedan and coupe together due to the ever growing media pressure on GM's mid-size offerings."

I was sent a reply that said something along the lines of:

"Josh,

I have forwarded your response to the G6 team, they will review it."

Now.......who called it a year before the vehicles intro?

The car was deemed a failure from the get go because of low sales.

Furthermore, the Malibu was a joke to begin with. The latest refresh addresses some very, very minor issues with the entire vehicle.

This car from Saturn? I'd venture to call it a catastrophe compared to what the market was expecting. Just last year it received the #1 award for "Best Producion Vehicle" from the NAIAS '05.

Wow what a long way we've come.

I don't see what all the fuss is about, I think it still looks great... on of GM's current best below Cadillac and certainly the best of the Epsilons.

I agree totally.

And I made my constructive comment. Its probably the best looking mid-size family sedan...ever, with some stiff competition from the Fusion, IMO.

What I personally don't understand is how a group of "GM fans" seem to constantly build GM up just to tear them down later.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the way the production Aura turned out. Would I have liked to have seen the slightly larger wheel flares and rocker panels? Sure! But then, at what price would that have forced the Aura into? Its already at least a near $18-19k sticker for a base model. Who would be willing to pay more for a little extra flare? A few enthusiasts? Certainly not enough people for GM to justify those extras.

And the only thing wrong with the G6, coupe or sedan, is the interior. Exterior styling wise I can't think of a better looking non-lux mid-size car. I saw a blue G6 GXP coupe today and I loved it.

I may be a smart ass but I don't go parading my opinion around like its the end all be all of car knowledge.

Edited by bowtie_dude

The more I look at it, the more I like it. It's obviously not as good as the concept, but still it looks very nice. I also just noticed a couple minutes ago that the wheels are HUGE. Look like 18s to me, maybe even 19s. It looks like it actually has good-looking mirrors too, unlike the Malibu and G6.

Look at the production version and don't take into account what the concept looked like, and it looks pretty damn good for your average family sedan. Probably the best out there.

I have mixed feelings on this one.

A) It has been watered down from the "production concept."

B) The Aura is the best of the domestic Epsilon sedans in my opinion thought the 9-3, Vectra, and G6 coupe and convertible are better.

Could it be worse? Yes. Could to be better? Yes.

It's certainly not as bad as what was done to the G6. It feels like it was just yesterday we were arguing the same thing about that car.

Some changes to the front end, specifically the chrome bar and fog lights would go a long way. I'm hoping that the Red Line is closer to the original concept. I've been dissapointed by the cartoonish direction the G6 GXP has taken and hope that the Aura Red Line offers a more mature alternative. A turboed 2.8L with a six automatic would be nice if anyone's listening.

Edited by stickmax

This ONE picture we have is pretty crappy. A nighttime photo with a lot of grey... few cars look good like that. Wait for more photos before whailing about what a terrible catastrophie the Aura is... :rolleyes:

It does need the gap above the bar back, though.

Dont like the grille... the bar takes up 60% of it... retarded

I am disappointed in the production version. It lacks the style of the concept. I had hopes of the Aura competing with the likes of Acura - but now it is clearly obvious that Saturn is content to compete with the dull styling of the Camry. I now have much lower expectations for the interior.

Now... thankfully we haven't seen a concept of the Outlook so the disappointment will be minimal there. What about the Enclave?! They said that was basically production just like the Aura... how much will that get dilluted? I wish GM would style vehicles with the bold machismo that Chrysler does.

The Aura looks just like another plain sedan. I hope the interior is high quality... it seems as though the Aura is about as bland as the G6.

Josh-by chance-have you seen the production version yet?

There has been some camoed (not much) around here lately..

it doesn't look bad at all.

I think you're getting a bit worried over one pic.. :P

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see one up close.

I didn't think much of the Tahoe until I saw one.... :wub:

And remember, always read the small print!

*Actual production vechicle may vary.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that, my friend is why it is so good to voice your opinion on sites such as C&G because it does get read, and changes do get made.

So, I've come to the conclusion so far based on 1 picture.

I can with the utmost certainty say that the "gap" between the grille bar and the hood MUST return and be substantial enough as to tell by the human eye. It's just much better that way.

Also, the plastics that are under or "beneath" the grille bar need to be of better materials it *seems* from the one photo and not so shiny as to stick out with horizontal lines.

The G6 coupe is terrible. Bob Lutz has said since it's introduction that the interior must change and now we're what? Three years into it's introduction yet still no change?

How long did the hard-top take before it was released?

I will give you some background on the G6.

I sent an e-mail to the then Pontiac media contact. This was when it was announced to Automotive News that they would release the sedan version well before the coupe version. I jumped up and said "NO WAY!"

I sent an e-mail to a female that handled the Pontiac brand. I said this:

"Miss XXXX,

Please reconsider your introduction of the Pontiac G6 sedan well before the introduction of the Pontiac G6 Coupe." I said, 'If you need any reason as to why, then please take a look at the media bashing that has taken place on the Saturn ION and the quick judgement to name that car a failure due to low sales figures because just a sedan was released."

I said "The same will happen to the G6. The media will jump all over it due to sales figures because it will not be tracking in sales as the vehicle it is replaced, the Pontiac Grand Am."

I continues "You must somehow find a way to release the G6 sedan and coupe together due to the ever growing media pressure on GM's mid-size offerings."

I was sent a reply that said something along the lines of:

"Josh,

I have forwarded your response to the G6 team, they will review it."

Now.......who called it a year before the vehicles intro?

The car was deemed a failure from the get go because of low sales.

Furthermore, the Malibu was a joke to begin with. The latest refresh addresses some very, very minor issues with the entire vehicle.

This car from Saturn? I'd venture to call it a catastrophe compared to what the market was expecting. Just last year it received the #1 award for "Best Producion Vehicle" from the NAIAS '05.

Wow what a long way we've come.

The G6 is selling fine now...so that is a mute point.

The Bu' was a gambe,but it still made quite the splash, regardless of the few issues it had.

Now, it wasn't a huge success, but I wouldn't call it a failure either.

I think the Aura has a chance....

The G6 is selling fine now...so that is a mute point.

The Bu' was a gambe,but it still made quite the splash, regardless of the few issues it had.

Now, it wasn't a huge success, but I wouldn't call it a failure either.

I think the Aura has a chance....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are 100% right. THe G6 IS selling fine now but you don't hear the media saying that now do you? No, becaue it was something they could beat up on it while it was in it's initial launching phase, which is what they did.

Sorry, IMO, after seeing the concept, this picture makes it look like sh*t. That said, maybe I'm jumping the gun, because GM tends to have the worst photography department in the Universe.

Based on this picture alone though, I'd say G6 debacle over again. People were expecting the concept, the exact concept down the last molecule. Think Solstice Concept to Production transition.

Gary Cowger once claimed that G6 production vehicle would be 90% of the concept. I would really like to see how he calculated that number. I see the formula is still healthy at GM. Maybe the way GM calculates it is if you keep the same name as the Concept, that's good for at least 85% of Production. "...We're still calling it Aura, isn't that good enough...?"

A mere one or two details can drop a car from 90% of the concept to less than half. You remove that one detail that makes a car distinictive and special, then why even bother? Just because you know the rules of chess and play regularly doesn't make you a Grand Master.

It doesn't matter if the car is competing against other "boring" cars like the Camry. You put a boring GM car next to a boring Toyota and 9/10, customers will pick the boring Toyota. When will GM learn they can't compete on the "boring" factor? Why can't they just make their own game changing rules? I'd say GM's only potential core competency is design but they continue to leave it as potential at best. Toyota's core competency is process, which means they consistantly produce one cookie cutter car after another.

GM's biggest damn problem is they always over promise and under deliver, causing the public to write them off. This is why people get too high of expectations. GM's concepts are often too good for their own good. Why don't they for once bring out a &#036;h&#33;ty concept and make the production vehicle awesome or better yet, just keep the concept AS IS in a mainstream vehicle? And not to offend anybody, but I say screw this "maybe it's coming in the Red Line version." Why don't they make the base vehicle like the concept and do something even more radical for the Red Line.

If the interior changed at all, this car will be destroyed in the press. End of story.

Edited by KillFort

You know I stopped visiting this sight because of idiots like Josh who base an entire new vehicle launches success on one poorly lit photo. As for the gap that must resturn between the chrome bar and hood, give your head a shake, exagerated gaps are never good on a production vehicle-haven't we learned that yet. The car looks 100% better with out it and i for one will reserve judgement on the cars potential until i see one in the flesh and can judge it for myself. You might want to try the same Josh before jumping all over it with your judgements-come to think of it shouldn't you be writing an article right now on the cancellation of this vehicle-seems about your speed.

From talking to various people, including some that work at the Fairfax plant, it sounds like the base engine will be the 248 hp V6 (3.5 VVT makes 211hp so it can't be that, 3.9 VVT makes 240-242 hp so it can't be that, but the 3.6 makes from 240-255 hp currently).

I'm guessing the the 248 hp V6 will be the 3.6 and from what I've heard is that the top of the line non Redline version will have 270-ish hp. Now is it a coincidence that the Buick Enclave debuted a new 3.6 that makes 279 hp.

This is all pure speculation but I'm guessing all 3.6s; one making 248 hp and another making 279 hp, both mated to 6 speed autos. It also sounds like the 3.5 VVT idea has been scrapped and production will begin in late April or early May, not July.

BTW, the chrome bar looks wierd just because of the lighting. The chrome bar will look like the concepts, its not silver plastic.

You are 100% right. THe G6 IS selling fine now but you don't hear the media saying that now do you? No, becaue it was something they could beat up on it while it was in it's initial launching phase, which is what they did.

Ah, the media doesn't get excited unless its a toyota... :rolleyes:

People are going to start looking for more value, what they can afford,

not just beacuse of something they need..it's a slow, but growing trend of

people...heck, gas prices would be a perfect example...

As far as beating GM products down, it's going to happen until GM can smack head

to head with the big boys...

You know I stopped visiting this sight because of idiots like Josh who base an entire new vehicle launches success on one poorly lit photo. As for the gap that must resturn between the chrome bar and hood, give your head a shake, exagerated gaps are never good on a production vehicle-haven't we learned that yet. The car looks 100% better with out it and i for one will reserve judgement on the cars potential until i see one in the flesh and can judge it for myself. You might want to try the same Josh before jumping all over it with your judgements-come to think of it shouldn't you be writing an article right now on the cancellation of this vehicle-seems about your speed.

I think Josh may be a bit disappointed with a few things of the Aura, but

he has a right to his opinion, whether it is good or bad.

And it's not like he is shoving it down our throats or something... :rolleyes:

If you can't say something nice about people, then you should keep your mouth shut.

Or better yet, just stay away... :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::metal:

Right on! Yea there you go, and while you're at it hopefully you can see I don't give two &#036;h&#33;s what you think.

Mr. Opinionated Asshole #1 of this thread. Please take your place in line for people who do not agree with me, it's a pretty long line, but at least I can say I stand for what I believe in, can you say the same? Even to your wife?

Furthermore, because of assholes such as yourself, I've given up all power on this site because people like you demanded it. And since, you've left. Interesting. Shows where those loyalities really lie, doesn't it?

I have mixed feelings, too. I am disappointed at how it was dumbed down from the concept version. The front end can be fixed with a simple downsizing of the grille bar but the now-boring sides really annoy me. They are what made the car, IMO, just look at the concept. Now it just looks somewhat stupid and pretty boring, especially compared to the somwhat aggressive front end. The wheel arches looked tacked on, too, compared with the rest where in the concept everything flowed together and created one big nice piece of hot car.

That being said, I knew it was going to happen and I somewhat prepared myself for it. Above all, it still looks good and is aggressive from the front, at least. I still need more pictures, especially of the interior. If GM botched that we will have some major problems.

Also, I hope the base engine does not have 248HP. That's fine in a Pontiac but not a Saturn. An Ecotec is needed or many, many sales will be lost.

One last thing. Jensen, I kindly request for you to continue to stop visiting the site. There will be one less idiot on it.

I would like to add one more thing...

The front end uses too many design cues from the Impala and Cobalt with those stupid cheap plastic horizontal fins and lines.

It reminds me of early ninties haircuts where people would cut horizontal lines on the side of their head above their temples.

I would like to add one more thing...

The front end uses too many design cues from the Impala and Cobalt with those stupid cheap plastic horizontal fins and lines.

It reminds me of early ninties haircuts where people would cut horizontal lines on the side of their head above their temples.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey they were the "steps" and I had 'em...it got me a few girl friends in Elementary lol

I still like it, but will agree they lost alot from concept to production. I'm not so worried about the front, as I am the sides. The lower side moldings from the concept should definately have been kept. I think thats one of the things that makes the SRX look awkward too.

About the side moldings: while they aren't as big as they were on the concept, it appears they're still there (but smaller) and you just can't see them because of the silver color and poor quality of the picture.

However, I agree the sides are much worse now that they don't have as big of moldings, and would like to see it return to concept-form.

And as we all know, GM never releases good pictures. They are always in silver, and at the worst possible angle. So from this picture, it looks good, but could be better. I would still rank it above the rest in its class, even from this bad picture of it.

I'm going back to the regular spike just because it's the new in thing and it will hide my balding LOL

Not to mention....I had the "block" J in the back of my head too when it was "cool" to do it.

Wow. Those were the days.

Back at the task at hand, sorry Fly & mod team.

Looks 90+% to me, but maybe I was being more realistic to start with. Some of thye apparent differences are the paint color and lighting. The extended wheel arches and rocker panel were never going to survive. The front bumper is deeper, probably for pedestrian safety, but otherwise is the same as the concept. In a darker color (blue, dark grey/black) and with similar shadows it would look much like the concept photo.

Looks 90+% to me, but maybe I was being more realistic to start with. Some of thye apparent differences are the paint color and lighting. The extended wheel arches and rocker panel were never going to survive. The front bumper is deeper, probably for pedestrian safety, but otherwise is the same as the concept. In a darker color (blue, dark grey/black) and with similar shadows it would look much like the concept photo.

Yay! Another voice of reason!