Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The 2007 Saturn Aura

Saturn AURA (so far) - Hot or Not?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Saturn AURA (so far) - Hot or Not?

• Hot
    • Not
    • Undecided - need more pics

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Base engine was officially announced as the 3.5 L V6 some time ago.

"… The Aura will be equipped with GM’s new 3.5L V-6 engine with variable valve timing as standard equipment. Or, buyers can opt for the sophisticated, dual overhead cam 3.6L V-6 VVT with an estimated 250 horsepower that’s mated to GM’s new, advanced front-wheel drive six-speed automatic transmission. It features Euro-inspired precision-tuned hydraulic steering and it’s going to be a blast to drive. …"

You think all of GM competitors will finally let out a sigh of relief when the general goes completely out of business....

cause had GM just built its concept cars they would have been a runaway success....

GM's dumbed down production versions are such losers...

WTF happened?

The Aura was cool...

How tough would it have been to just make the dam show car body style..?

Edit: Id still chose the Aura over a camry, accord or Mazda 6 ..

but it sure would have been cool had GM had the b@lls to build the concept true to form...

Edited by JBsZ06

The Aura is pleasant looking, but it's not going to win anyone already predisposed to buying a Camry, Accord, or Altima, except for those wanting the Saturn dealership experience.

That's what GM is trying to capitalize on with these new products. That reputation is not something to waste. Most casual observers also acknowledge the fact that Saturn is the closest to a foreign style competitor that GM has, if they even know it's part of GM. In fact, many people actually think Saturn is foreign.

This car will do fine, but I agree that it's hard to judge based on one substandard pic.

Edited by C.H.U.D.

You know at first I said I would wait but you know what after looking at it more I hate it. They put a crease in the top side of the bumper. They also took the nice front slanted crease out of the front bumper. It just looks so weak I hate I defended this car so long. Anyway I will still try to wait but it is not looking good to me.

I am guessing no one else has a problem with a V6 base engine? While I am sure (or hope, at least) the cost of a base Aura is close to the cost of a base Camry/Accord/Altima, the lack of a smaller engine will hurt sales, especially if gas prices rise dramatically again. I am guessing the Aura Greenline will be close to an I4 in power to maximize fuel economy?

This is making me a little nervous for our old friend Camaro.

Also, and even more off topic, I saw my first G6 GT coupe the other day in black. It was way ahead of me on the freeway and I thought I was looking at some kind of tricked out Infiniti G35 coupe or something. I was blown away when I realized it was a Pontiac. Wow! Really amazing looking!

I'm reasonably satisfied with the Aura pic. Can't wait to see more. Like others have said, I'm praying that the RL version will look just like the Vectra...

I am guessing no one else has a problem with a V6 base engine?  While I am sure (or hope, at least) the cost of a base Aura is close to the cost of a base Camry/Accord/Altima, the lack of a smaller engine will hurt sales, especially if gas prices rise dramatically again.  I am guessing the Aura Greenline will be close to an I4 in power to maximize fuel economy?

I'd hate to see the 2.2L I4 (140hp) in the Aura (just too weak), but I think it could be ok with the 2.4L I4 (170hp). I'd guess a greenline version would be simmilar to the Vue GL - based off the 2.4L.

The Aura is pleasant looking, but it's not going to win anyone already predisposed to buying a Camry, Accord, or Altima, except for those wanting the Saturn dealership experience.

I think that the Aura will sell to folks who:

1. Have an Altima but got bit by Nissan's current reliability

2. Have/interested in a Mazda 6 but need something bigger

3. Last 4 cars were Camlys and now they want to try something else.

4. Former Sebring/Stratus owners.

I'll reserve judgement until I see more pictures... specifically, pictures of the interior. I know I'm in the minority here, but I never thought the exterior styling of the Aura was particularily invigorating, especially from the rear. That interior, though... what a knockout! So long as that makes it to production, they could paste an Aztek snout on the Aura for all I care. It's what's inside that counts.

I'll reserve judgement until I see more pictures... specifically, pictures of the interior. I know I'm in the minority here, but I never thought the exterior styling of the Aura was particularily invigorating, especially from the rear. That interior, though... what a knockout! So long as that makes it to production, they could paste an Aztek snout on the Aura for all I care. It's what's inside that counts.

100% agree.

Can anyone confirm that the interior is VW good? Or is it great for GM good? I think VW good would be a great selling point.

100% agree.

Can anyone confirm that the interior is VW good? Or is it great for GM good? I think VW good would be a great selling point.

Great for GM "good" but it does not knock the world dead.

I think many of you are going to be disappointed next week.

Edited by evok

Who knows about the headlights... it makes me mad that

European designs have to be "dumbed down" for us. :angry:

I guess we are preceived as a bunch of conservative

pussys that drive Camry LEs.

I am guessing no one else has a problem with a V6 base engine?  While I am sure (or hope, at least) the cost of a base Aura is close to the cost of a base Camry/Accord/Altima, the lack of a smaller engine will hurt sales, especially if gas prices rise dramatically again.  I am guessing the Aura Greenline will be close to an I4 in power to maximize fuel economy?

I don't see why the Aura needs a 4cyl..let the 4cyl Malibu and G6 compete with the 4cyl Camry/Accord/Altima...

If that's true, I'm crossing the Aura off my list, unless I can get a manual transmission with the V6. A lot of SaturnFans.com members want a 4-cylinder/5-speed manual combo.

The Aura is/was supposed to be getting the same hybrid system as the VUE (2.4 Ecotec + BAS) in March of '07 According to a Powerpoint I found about 6 months ago. It didn't say anything about a manual transmission (or automatic, for that matter), but the VUE GL doesn't have one.

However, I don't see any reason why Saturn couldn't offer the same 5-speed that's on the 4-cyl VUE on a non-hybrid 4-cyl Aura.

GM shouldn't let the Malibu and G6 take on the 4-cyl competition because they aren't really good enough to do so. The Aura is a big step up from either and actually has the goods to go against the Accord/Camry. If GM offers a 4-cyl in the Aura, those buyers who want 4-cyl Accords and Camrys would actually have a reason to look into GM; if not, then it's probably not very likely that they'll look at a G6 or Malibu.

Thats a disappointment.  What is it that keeps GM from cranking out absolutely world class interiors?

It is not a Vecta interior. It is boring and tired already. All of them - Nice but not great.

I do not care about the materials - styling sells.

It is not a Vecta interior.  It is boring and tired already.  All of them - Nice but not great.

I do not care about the materials - styling sells.

Whoever is designing GM interiors needs fired. The whole department needs to be replaced.

How long will GM allow Lexus and Acura to best it in the interior design department?

Looks like a great translation to me. In fact, I like the more angular look of the production version. The concept looked a little like a jelly bean. The only complaint that I have is with the fog lamp coverings, but hey just buy something over a base model and you should be good to go.

I think GM has a hit here, but just by cruzing this site you would not know it. I don't honestly see how anyone can crucify a car because of a lack of a gap in the front grill, but hey, what ever floats your boat. I don't think that the biased media out there will be nearly as crazy as some of the comments on this site because of one picture. It sounds like a lot of you had your minds made up that this thing was going to fail before you even saw the pictures.

Looks like a winner to me.

I think what bothers me the most about the concept's interior is endless sea of grey plastic. It just needs 1 or 2 more colors here and there to bring everything to life. Otherwise, the design and layout of everying seem quite good.

If you like that just add "wood grain"

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=&mid...644602&mime=JPG

Just keep the leather...please! The center stack is, um, different. :rolleyes::P

I'd rather the G6 have the standard V6 since Pontiac is supposed to be the performance division.

I have had enough with all the negative people on this website. THE AURA IS NOT A DUMBED DOWN VERSION OF THE VECTRA. THE BASE VECTRA IS IDENTICAL TO THE AURA THAT WE HAVE SEEN.

BASE VECTRA

Posted Image

THE FOGLIGHT OPENINGS ARE THE SAME, SO ARE THE GRILLS AND THE FRONT BUMPER IS ALSO THE SAME. THE AURA IS THE VECTRA AND IDIOTS ON THIS WEBSITE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING ON THE BAD SIDE. YOU WANTED THE VECTRA YOU GOT IT.

UPLEVEL VECTRA

Posted Image

EITHER THE REDLINE OR AN UPLEVEL VERSION OF THE AURA WILL LOOK JUST LIKE THE UPLEVEL VECTRA SO LETS STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT A PRODUCT THAT GM FINALLY BROUGHT OVER FROM EUROPE. THE AURA IS GOING TO DOMINATE THE MID SIZE CAR MARKET. END OF STORY.

Edited by CadillacCTS

AMEN!

I have had enough with all the negative people on this website.  THE AURA IS NOT A DUMBED DOWN VERSION OF THE VECTRA. THE BASE VECTRA IS IDENTICAL TO THE AURA THAT WE HAVE SEEN.

BASE VECTRA

Posted Image

THE FOGLIGHT OPENINGS ARE THE SAME, SO ARE THE GRILLS AND THE FRONT BUMPER IS ALSO THE SAME.  THE AURA IS THE VECTRA AND IDIOTS ON THIS WEBSITE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING ON THE BAD SIDE.  YOU WANTED THE VECTRA YOU GOT IT.

UPLEVEL VECTRA

Posted Image

EITHER THE REDLINE OR AN UPLEVEL VERSION OF THE AURA WILL LOOK JUST LIKE THE UPLEVEL VECTRA SO LETS STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT A PRODUCT THAT GM FINALLY BROUGHT OVER FROM EUROPE.  THE AURA IS GOING TO DOMINATE THE MID SIZE CAR MARKET.  END OF STORY.

I have had enough with all the negative people on this website.  THE AURA IS NOT A DUMBED DOWN VERSION OF THE VECTRA. THE BASE VECTRA IS IDENTICAL TO THE AURA THAT WE HAVE SEEN.

BASE VECTRA

Posted Image

THE FOGLIGHT OPENINGS ARE THE SAME, SO ARE THE GRILLS AND THE FRONT BUMPER IS ALSO THE SAME.  THE AURA IS THE VECTRA AND IDIOTS ON THIS WEBSITE ARE ALWAYS LOOKING ON THE BAD SIDE.  YOU WANTED THE VECTRA YOU GOT IT.

UPLEVEL VECTRA

Posted Image

EITHER THE REDLINE OR AN UPLEVEL VERSION OF THE AURA WILL LOOK JUST LIKE THE UPLEVEL VECTRA SO LETS STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT A PRODUCT THAT GM FINALLY BROUGHT OVER FROM EUROPE.  THE AURA IS GOING TO DOMINATE THE MID SIZE CAR MARKET.  END OF STORY.

The AURA is not a Vectra, but rather they share a similar front clip.

I think that the Aura will sell to folks who:

1. Have an Altima but got bit by Nissan's current reliability

2. Have/interested in a Mazda 6 but need something bigger

3. Last 4 cars were Camlys and now they want to try something else.

4. Former Sebring/Stratus owners.

add-

Grand Prix and G6 owners that want DOHC under the hood and nicer interiors

that one pic does not look encouraging, it does look like it lost something from the show car, however, its just one pic. let's see what comes out next week. It does look like it could be another G6 cocncept to showfloor debacle.

I do like the crease they added to the fenders because it makes it look less like a jellybean.

Edited by regfootball

I don't know how many Camry cult members would convert to the Aura. The ones I know wouldn't even consider Accords or Mazda6's, and even go so far as to mock me for driving domestic...

...The Aura looks too exciting for them anyways. From my experience, most Camry drivers are the type who get very excited when they add a scoop of caffienated coffee in with the decaf on New Years Eve...

So I have been digesting and revisiting this picture the last couple of days. Trying not to make a snap judgement. While I will reserve final judgement until I see one in person, I would give GM a solid B+ or A- for execution. I think it will fair quite well in the world in which it will play. I think the wider chrome strip was to follow the Ford 3 bar grill, which I think is following the 300C. That part I am not thrilled with, but it is acceptable to me.

The Aura must have a 4 cylinder, if gas prices continue, the Corvette may need one (just kidding, but you get my point). Add in a hogher level V6 and I think you have a great car lineup.

From Saturn Fans:

AURA Expected to be More Powerful than Comparable Accord, Camry

SaturnFans.com • April 7, 2006

A draft version of this story was posted for a few hours in the middle of the night earlier today; it was immediately pulled when I woke up this morning. It contained some bits of erroneous powertrain information that should have not been included in the article; Saturn had previously announced the AURA's powertrain options last summer. The original story should have never been moved to public view on this site, and I apologize for any confusion that it might have caused.

SaturnFans.com has learned that the 2007 Saturn AURA midsize sedan, which is planned to be unveiled next week at the New York International Auto Show, will initially be offered in two trim levels: XE and XR. This nomenclature is consistent with a teaser photo that was released last summer for the upcoming Outlook sport-utility. In the picture, beneath the left rear taillight was an emblem that read "Outlook XE."

While all this is speculative at this time, multiple sources say that both AURA models will feature V6 powerplants. The AURA XE will reportedly get a 230hp 3.5 High Value V6 with variable valve timing, while the XR variant will be motivated by 250+hp 3.6 L VVT High Feature V6 mated to a 6-speed transmission. Incidentally, the latter engine may end up offering more horsepower than either of the V6s available in the Honda Accord or the all-new Toyota Camry. A 4-cylinder hybrid-electric AURA Green Line version is rumored for 2008. The AURA will feature "Euro-inspired precision-tuned hydraulic steering," according to Saturn General Manager, Jill Ladjziak.

Pricing for the 6-cylinder XE model is said to be competitive with 4-cylinder Accords and Camrys. Those who have seen the production version of the car say it looks stunning. The interior is very similar to the concept; both leather and cloth seating arrangements will be offered. The exterior of the production AURA supposedly receives a few minor – very minor – changes, most notably in the front-end. It is believed that Saturn is saving some of the styling flair featured on AURA concept for the rumored upcoming Red Line model.

If the Aura base sedan is priced competively with the 4s of the Accord and Camry, it will do well. That there is no Ecotec powered base level at the start of production is of absolutely no concern to me. The only real difference in real world mileage is for people who drive in urban settings, for me a 6 just won't make that much difference. I might give up a point or two of mpg but I also would have to tolerate being stuck behind tractors on secondary roads unable to pass. What people seem to have totally forgotten is that this is start of production. GM isn't going to build every single variation at that time. It is far smarter to go for the primary market and then branch out. The worries people are posting are without merit. GM will easily sell over a hundred thousand Auras in the first year. Bank on it. That's not bad from a zero start.

VW's have world class interiors...half decent powertrains...now that there reputation went to **************** with middle to high end buyers...saturn can steal a page from there play book give..middle of the road european, good road manners and try to get the VW buyer who is pissed off due to lack of realiabilty.

also have to understand folks that even if exterior wise they toned it down, interior wise...maybe lutz focussed his money...better to have a killer interior and proformance of the six speeds then have a killer exterior and a ****************ty interior and 4 speeds...any thoughts?

I believe that the car will still have a enough european look to give the camcord buyers a great alternative...I have lived in europe and the opels are middle of the road...so if saturn can fit that role...thats fine...Opel until recently got there act together style and performance wise...translate it to saturn and the $18,000-$32,000 market is covered for eurowannbes