Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2007 Equinox changes

Derek77

EQUINOXCENTRAL.COM 2007 Equinox Information

Chassis / Powertrain

1. New 4 wheel disc brakes & chrome wheels

2. Suspension tuning and the addition of standard "Stabilitrack" have improved the ride and handling

3. Larger fuel tank on Front Wheel Drive vehicles has improved their range.

4. New tire pressure monitoring system provides information to the driver's display panel.

Interior

1. New rear seat centre armrest

2. Roof rail airbag deploys further providing additional protection in the event of a roll over. (note- roof rail is a term we use in Welding..it is a interior part running alongside the sides of the passenger compartment.)

3. "Smart" front passenger airbag system now senses the weight of the occupant and deploys the airbag accordingly.

4. New steering wheel, centre console trim, switches, shifter and seat fabric have improved the appearence of the interior.

5. The instrument panel now includes a "Driver Information Center" display which provides information on engine performance, tire pressure etc...

Structures, Exterior & Electrical

1. Strengthened side body components have improved the overall vehicle performance and exceed 2008 MY (model year) Government requirement.

2. New lift gate "touch pad" electronic release replaces the tradtional release handle system

3. New lift gate spolier & fascia shapes provide improved aerodynamics for a "real world" fuel economy savings of 1 mpg.

4. Improvements made to reduce wind noise by 3db

5. New remote start option

6. New "navigation" radio

EQUINOXCENTRAL.COM 2007 Equinox Information

That's awesome! Who would have thought a little spoiler shape change would give a whole 1 mpg added to real world fuel economy!

I'm glad the interior is getting a face-lift... it was nice, but cheap looking.

I'd like to see the 3.5L in there standard. Are the Equinox/Torrent the only vehicles still using the 3.4L?

yeah, needs to updrage the engine to the 3.5L, may have to for emissions standards, wouldn't it be cheaper to stop producing the 3.4L? if the 5speed can handle it, ~220hp prolly be much better than the ~180hp

yeah, needs to updrage the engine to the 3.5L, may have to for emissions standards, wouldn't it be cheaper to stop producing the 3.4L?  if the 5speed can handle it, ~220hp prolly be much better than the ~180hp

it needs better fuel ecconmy as well... it should be a little worse then the HHR, not a little better then a tahoe...

That's awesome!  Who would have thought a little spoiler shape change would give a whole 1 mpg added to real world fuel economy!

I'm glad the interior is getting a face-lift... it was nice, but cheap looking.

I'd like to see the 3.5L in there standard.  Are the Equinox/Torrent the only vehicles still using the 3.4L?

The 3.4L isn't the old 3.4L from the Grand Am. They're sourced from China.

But I do agree that it should get the 3.5L from the Aura.

Without knowing the additional improvements that "cannot" be released yet, it appears to be a marginal refresh that raises a barely adequate SUV up to a mediocre one. The Equinox really needs a complete overhaul, especially the interior, to become competitive.

These sound like good upgrades. I dont think the current engine is as terrible as people make it out to be. Only thing I notice is that it starts to lose it above about 50-55. What I am saying is it could use a little better higher end performance. Maybe the 3.5 liter could fix this little issue. The low end performance however is very good. My fuel mileage is about 16-17 in town and 20-24 on the highway.

When are we going to hear of the "other changes"?

I was surprised when I looked on the Pontiac website, to see they had an image of the Torrent with a purple interior. I didn't know they had interiors like that.

The Equinox is an awesome little SUV, and I think it has the potential to be a powerful player in the market with some changes. Now with the Rav4 stepping up the game, the Nox/Torrent are going to have to follow suit to not be totally overlooked. I realize they are still better than the CRV, but Toyota should be a target as well.

When are we going to hear of the "other changes"?

I was surprised when I looked on the Pontiac website, to see they had an image of the Torrent with a purple interior. I didn't know they had interiors like that.

The Equinox is an awesome little SUV, and I think it has the potential to be a powerful player in the market with some changes.  Now with the Rav4 stepping up the game, the Nox/Torrent are going to have to follow suit to not be totally overlooked.  I realize they are still better than the CRV, but Toyota should be a target as well.

I'd hate to admit it, but the Rav4 blows GM's Thetas away.

I'd hate to admit it, but the Rav4 blows GM's Thetas away.

Style-wise, I don't agree. Features, performance, and everything else, F yeah.

The Torrent needs to be dropped - the Nox should get the 3.5L from the Aura as the base engine with a new higher quality interior. The SS should offer the 3.9L.

It is really a shame that their cousin over at Suzuki will get a 3.6L, the Vue will get the Honda V6 while the Nox/Torrent are left with an ancient 3.4L engine from China that is crap.

And you wonder why GM still has huge issues to deal with?

Edited by boblutzfan

Good upgrades plus I hope they close the wheel gap with the change in the suspension or bigger tires. If they do that with those upgrades then i think it will be a nice little product. Remember from what has been said above they are addressing interior materials and adding navigation so I am holding out hope.

Style is subjective, and I haven't taken a good look at the 2 so I'm undecided on that. But everything else, no competetion. GM is 6 years behind.

The VUE is very competitive to the RAV4... in packaging, pricing, and performance. And yes... Styling is subjective.

2006 VUE

Posted ImagePosted Image

(4-Cyl VUEs have a 4-Speed automatic)

4-Cyl (143hp) FWD - $17,390

4-Cyl (170hp) Hybrid - less than $23,000

(6-Cyl VUEs have a 5-Speed automatic)

6-Cyl (250hp) FWD - $21,390

6-Cyl (250hp) AWD - $23,050

2006 RAV4

Posted ImagePosted Image

(4-Cyl RAV4's have a 4-speed Automatic)

4-Cyl (166hp) FWD - $20,300

4-Cyl (166hp) AWD - $21,700

4-Cyl (166hp) FWD Sport - $21,875

4-Cyl (166hp) AWD Sport - $23,275

4-Cyl (166hp) FWD Limited - $22,555

4-Cyl (166hp) AWD Limited - $23,955

(6-Cyl RAV4's have a 5-Speed Automatic)

6-Cyl (269hp) FWD - $22,335

6-Cyl (269hp) AWD - $23,735

6-Cyl (269hp) FWD Sport - $23,790

6-Cyl (269hp) AWD Sport - $25,190

6-Cyl (269hp) FWD Limited - $24,470

6-Cyl (269hp) AWD Limited - $25,870

VUE has the better-looking interior based on those pictures. That said, I want to touch and feel the surfaces of it because GM interiors photograph notoriously better than they actually are in person. GM just needs to dump money on interior materials.

The VUE is very competitive to the RAV4... in packaging, pricing, and performance. And yes... Styling is subjective.

2006 VUE

Posted ImagePosted Image

(4-Cyl VUEs have a 4-Speed automatic)

4-Cyl (143hp) FWD - $17,390

4-Cyl (170hp) Hybrid - less than $23,000

(6-Cyl VUEs have a 5-Speed automatic)

6-Cyl (250hp) FWD - $21,390

6-Cyl (250hp) AWD - $23,050

2006 RAV4

Posted ImagePosted Image

(4-Cyl RAV4's have a 4-speed Automatic)

4-Cyl (166hp) FWD - $20,300

4-Cyl (166hp) AWD - $21,700

4-Cyl (166hp) FWD Sport - $21,875

4-Cyl (166hp) AWD Sport - $23,275

4-Cyl (166hp) FWD Limited - $22,555

4-Cyl (166hp) AWD Limited - $23,955

(6-Cyl RAV4's have a 5-Speed Automatic)

6-Cyl (269hp) FWD - $22,335

6-Cyl (269hp) AWD - $23,735

6-Cyl (269hp) FWD Sport - $23,790

6-Cyl (269hp) AWD Sport - $25,190

6-Cyl (269hp) FWD Limited - $24,470

6-Cyl (269hp) AWD Limited - $25,870

Not quite... the RAV has a much larger interior and available third-row.

The $17,390 VUE comes with a manual transmission, btw. To get it close to the $20,300 RAV4's spec, you'll need to add ABS ($600) and automatic ($1,355).

The Torrent needs to be dropped - the Nox should get the 3.5L from the Aura as the base engine with a new higher quality interior.  The SS should offer the 3.9L.

It is really a shame that their cousin over at Suzuki will get a 3.6L, the Vue will get the Honda V6 while the Nox/Torrent are left with an ancient 3.4L engine from China that is crap.

And you wonder why GM still has huge issues to deal with?

Jeesh...drop the Torrent? Do you hate poor Pontiac? :scratchchin:

I think the Torrent--like all of Pontiac's rebadges--needs to be differentiated from the Nox...after all, doesn't BMW have a sporty trucklet in the x3/5s?

It is staggering how GM has managed to get so many different--and competing--engines into so few compact SUVs.

Good post by you.

Sounds good, but fixing that AWFUL electric steering better be on the list of "details not released yet".

Matter of fact, either fix that POS system all together in every car they've experimented with, or just give up the fight and realize GM has no idea how to do it properly, and put hydraulic pumps in the Equinox, all G6's, and all Malibu's.

The current Equinox is still a great looker and decent performer, but the steering/suspension have always been too sloppy and the interior too cheap.

Strangely enough, with the Aisin 5-speed auto, even the auto mags don't complain about the 3.4L...makes you wonder, huh? :scratchchin:

The current Equinox is still a great looker and decent performer, but the steering/suspension have always been too sloppy and the interior too cheap.

Strangely enough, with the Aisin 5-speed auto, even the auto mags don't complain about the 3.4L...makes you wonder, huh? :scratchchin:

I've seen numerous complaints about the 3.4... that it's unrefined (typical complaint of the OHV engine by critics--wonder if they even pay attention anymore and just write that the second they find out it's a GM car (I know not all GMs use OHV, but the majority do)), and I've heard the performance is "okay, but nothing to write home about".

Why not give the car the 2.4L Ecotec and the Aura's 3.5L?

Some of us don't mind the "awful" electric steering. I have it on my Malibu and I really like it. I am not one of these self-appointed car experts that believes I should feel every road bump and have to use two hands to turn a corner. I might actually want to be reaching for my parking pass while doing 180 degree turns in my underground garage. Once you are used to the electric steering, others feel heavy and dead.

I think anyone who looks at the Equinox with an unbiased eye will realize that it is a decent vehicle for what it is supposed to do. I agree the seats are a little cheap looking, but in leather form much better. Its performance is more than adequate. It is no rocket, but then it wasn't intended to be.

We are at 1.05 a litre (about 3.90 a U.S. gallon!, boys and girls). The Equinox gets far better gas mileage than the Blazer it replaces and equals the Tracker.

My only concern is that GM lets this model drag on for 4 or 5 years before a major refresh, like it has with the Trailblazer.

Not quite... the RAV has a much larger interior and available third-row.

The $17,390 VUE comes with a manual transmission, btw. To get it close to the $20,300 RAV4's spec, you'll need to add ABS ($600) and automatic ($1,355).

Do you understand what competitive means? It's a good alternative...

Beside that, the RAV4 was just remodeled this year to catch-up to where the VUE already was. The VUE had a 5-sp auto and 250hp V6 back in 2004.

How do you account for Toyota still using a 4-sp auto in the 4-Cyl models... isn't that the same corporate blunder that's supposedly going to destroy the Saturn Aura's chances? Let alone that all Scions have 4-spds also.

There are very few "cute utes" on the market right now that are comparable to the VUE... the RAV4 is one of them... but the RAV4 is not "head over heels" better than the VUE, nor does it make the VUE look "6 years old."

None of the other compact "cute-utes" come close to offering the same well rounded package that either of them provide... and this isn't a small segment either.

Continuous improvement is the name of the game. GM may have been a model year late with these changes, but they are moving forward. I'd be willing to bet an engine upgrade is in the cards as well.

Continuous improvement is the name of the game.  GM may have been a model year late with these changes, but they are moving forward.  I'd be willing to bet an engine upgrade is in the cards as well.

The engine was the only strong selling point until the redesigned VUE was launched. Now, it has pretty much the entire package and the engine is still competitive. In all honesty, I really don't think an engine upgrade would be worth it. Would Honda go along with it? Of course, we do not know what that contract looks like.

Torrent can stay as long as it gets a full redesign which looks nothing like the Equinox, gets a more car-like personality, and a nice all-wheel drive that is there for handling.

Given what GM has done to the Outlook and the Enclave, I'm pretty sure it can be done.

But unfortunately I'm dreaming.

fools.

Well, I could be completely wrong, but when I think of Chevy, I think of GM's everybody, bargain car brand. I don't necessarily think of premium or luxury... so I can't imagine they'd put a "premium" engine in a Chevy right now.

I think the Equinox SS is supposed to get the 3.6 when it comes out.

As for the VUE... I forgot to sit in it at the auto show, but the RAV4 I sat in was not that impressive. It wasn't bad, but there was certainly room for improvement, and the design was a little out-there. I'm guessing the VUE is similar in interior materials.

The next VUE gets the 3.6 as well, and the next VUE GL gets the 3.6 mated to a system like the Tahoe is getting (it's actually the 2nd Gen of the Tahoe's for FWD/AWD) and it will also be available with the 2.4 mated with BAS. So, it will have basically the same HP as the RAV4 (judging by the Outlook) or possibly more depending on what upgrades GM has in store.

When do you think we'll get some pictures of the 2007 Equinox? Hopefully we won't have to wait until August or September. I can't wait to find out all information/changes on all 2007 vehicles.

DO the interior materials get improved aswell? Otherwise these impovements sound good, although it needs a better engine. The Torrent (which stylistically I prefer), needs a sport-tuned suspension and a way more powerful engine, it's supposed to be a Pontiac after all.

DO the interior materials get improved aswell? Otherwise these impovements sound good, although it needs a better engine. The Torrent (which stylistically I prefer), needs a sport-tuned suspension and a way more powerful engine, it's supposed to be a Pontiac after all.

Well, "warm sycamore" trim will be standard on all trims but the base. And the new radio is the new GM radio found in the Lucerne/Sky/etc.

Well, "warm sycamore" trim will be standard on all trims but the base.  And the new radio is the new GM radio found in the Lucerne/Sky/etc.

*sigh* someday GM will learn how to integrate the stereo controls. Still, it's an improvement at least.

*sigh* someday GM will learn how to integrate the stereo controls. Still, it's an improvement at least.

Not that I'm banking they'll figure it out with the 'Nox, but let's wait and see what it looks like :)