Jump to content
TaurusSHO

Random Thoughts Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

That is a light snowfall. The snowbelt, Minnesota, Buffalo, Chicago, Montreal...I guess Denver too...that is peanuts.

Although shoveling sucks, its child's play!

Montreal is expected to get 30-40 (12-15 inches) centimeters tomorrow. Its gonnna start this afternoon and end sometime tomorrow night. 

It already hit Toronto and its coming towards the East.  Schools are planning to close for tomorrow. 

First time public schools closed since 2011 here today,  not that much, maybe 20cm but the ice pellets and wind are making it messy.  I'm kind of surprised, we had 30cm in a day last week, no closure. 

I don't mind shovelling, quiet and decent exercise until we start running out of places to put it.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frogger said:

First time public schools closed since 2011 here today,  not that much, maybe 20cm but the ice pellets and wind are making it messy.  I'm kind of surprised, we had 30cm in a day last week, no closure. 

I don't mind shovelling, quiet and decent exercise until we start running out of places to put it.

 

Depending on how the storm hits, I guess. For the school closures, you guys had very high winds too...That plays a factor Im assuming.

As of now, we are just getting the snow fall. Its light. Winds are normal. But it will intensify by 6:00 PM (Eastern time for you westerners) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

On the Front Range in Colorado, it was usually power...a light fluffy snow that either came in a light dusting or mass quantities (October, March/April).    I remember once getting 45 inches over 3 days.  The good thing there is I never had to shovel when I had an apartment then a condo. 

 

I have been shoveling snow, like, since forever. Even before my parents bought our house when I was 14. Even if I lived in the city.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3873+St+Catherine+St+E,+Montreal,+QC+H1W+2G5/@45.5461798,-73.5368287,3a,75y,311.75h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-3cHX9lG5YvTumF8U-KlAQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D-3cHX9lG5YvTumF8U-KlAQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D86%26h%3D86%26yaw%3D311.75183%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cc91b865c19c47f:0x27e83dbc873130a!8m2!3d45.5462721!4d-73.5369815

 

We lived in that house on top of the restaurant (different restaurant back in the day. My room was to the right of that For Sale sign).

I used to shovel that big balcony to the side of that building. That was our balcony. (it was the whole length back in the day, like the whole length) and I even shoveled the street. Why? For my dad to park his car when the city did not clean the streets. Or to shovel so he could get out.  You know...front heavy RWD cars back in the day... He usually parked where the other Vincent Restaurant  at either lamp post. Back in the day, Vincent Restaurant did not have a parking at the side. And those lamp posts were not there. Two huge maple trees were there. Maybe the second lamp post was a lamp post. I do not remember. But the first lamp post was definetly a maple tree 30 years ago!!! 

Then we bought a house so the driveway cleaning duties were passed on to my adolescent ass...all the way until I left the house when I got married. When I was like 30 years old... 

I got a snow guy that I only pay $200 per season and he has a tractor and clears my driveway...Its only 200 dollars and days like today and tomorrow, well worth it! Even if this is the only snowfall all winter long, the 200 dollars paid itself. 

I do shovel sometimes though when he is "late" and I need to get out of the house. I have this contract JUST for snowstorms because whether the snow is light and fluffy, icey or wet heavy, or powdery and blistery, its only 200 dollars. 

And Montreal gets all the types of snowfalls there is. Depending what point in the season we are in. 

 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland gets a variety of snow levels, and it varies depending on where you are...there are Lake Effect snow belts east of the city where the wind off Lake Erie really piles up the snowfall...where I'm at in suburbs due south of the city I don't get that much, not bad this winter except a couple weeks ago when we got about a foot.  I bought a snow blower at the end of January, only used it a couple times so far.   With my Jeep I really haven't needed to shovel the driveway, but I usually shovel a path to the street for the mailman and Amazon delivery guys, and the sidewalk in front of my house.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

mailman and Amazon delivery guys

Can't go without those lifelike inflatables, eh?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Then the Younger Peeps are getting weaker as I can out shovel and lift so many my age and younger. Remember, I am only 21 for the 30th time! :P 

me doing my warm for legs on the sled. 540lb at 3 sets of 15 reps.

20190131_204524.jpg

Who wants to lift with me. 🏋️‍♂️

I bet I could do 5lbs at 3 sets of 15 reps. 

8 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Can't go without those lifelike inflatables, eh?

Hah-hah..no, normal stuff for daily life... home stuff, dog food, etc. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ HELLYEAH. I was u-tubin around last night looking for 'old sleeper drag car'- this made my day. Schwing!
- - - - -
'74 Bugatti revival attempt :

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 8.01.06 PM.png

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

On the Front Range in Colorado, it was usually powder...a light fluffy snow that either came in a light dusting or mass quantities (October, March/April).    I remember once getting 45 inches over 3 days.  The good thing there is I never had to shovel when I had an apartment then a condo. 

I thought that is what they called Champagne powder, good to go with the stuff you drink too or mix with OJ. :P 

57 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

I bet I could do 5lbs at 3 sets of 15 reps. 

Hah-hah..no, normal stuff for daily life... home stuff, dog food, etc. 

I cover my workout on Instagram _g_d_f_ as I focus on getting #spartanstrong

Just doing normal lunges at home can really strengthen up the gluts and over all legs for a stronger core. Try doing 4 passes across your living room. Amazing how fast the body can change and strengthen.

Right now my whole body knows I have lifted 1000's of pounds of wet snow.

Gonna get working now, as I had to spend the day shoveling and now the evening working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I so HATE Facebook and the crap of having to log in to see what ever someone is trying to share. Can ya do a screen capture Blu or Download it so it can post here without the facebook BS?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got something better for you to check out without the FB BS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVg9FLv_0-Y

Just click on that link and be amazed, aroused and entertained! 

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I so HATE Facebook and the crap of having to log in to see what ever someone is trying to share. Can ya do a screen capture Blu or Download it so it can post here without the facebook BS?

ditto for me BLU. I dont even have a Facebook acccount.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I got something better for you to check out without the FB BS...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVg9FLv_0-Y

Just click on that link and be amazed, aroused and entertained! 

Nothing like a a Hamhock nip in the rear to get your attention. Momma musta not liked her getting to close to her babies.

Yup, never had faceplant and never will. Hate the company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dfelt said:

I so HATE Facebook and the crap of having to log in to see what ever someone is trying to share. Can ya do a screen capture Blu or Download it so it can post here without the facebook BS?

Well it was a Chevrolet Performance video showcasing the sound of their GM Accessory performance exhaust system for the new trucks with 6.2L engine.  Quite the difference in sound, and really sweet.  I think it should be the regular production exhaust system.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Well it was a Chevrolet Performance video showcasing the sound of their GM Accessory performance exhaust system for the new trucks with 6.2L engine.  Quite the difference in sound, and really sweet.  I think it should be the regular production exhaust system.

Well...I too, wanna hear it!

JUST because I also like "heartless", "soulless", and QUIET EVs, does NOT mean I dont enjoy awesome V8 sounds...(Even though those V8 sounds happen to come out ugly, crappy pick-up trucks)  

So...post the damned thing so I can hears it!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Well it was a Chevrolet Performance video showcasing the sound of their GM Accessory performance exhaust system for the new trucks with 6.2L engine.  Quite the difference in sound, and really sweet.  I think it should be the regular production exhaust system.

Thanks for filling us in, sounds cool.

Is this the video?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dfelt said:

Then the Younger Peeps are getting weaker as I can out shovel and lift so many my age and younger. Remember, I am only 21 for the 30th time! :P 

me doing my warm for legs on the sled. 540lb at 3 sets of 15 reps.

20190131_204524.jpg

Who wants to lift with me. 🏋️‍♂️

I would actually love that! I love a lifting partner who actually takes it serious. I actually did that just last night but not that much..

I warmed up with a 5 min light cardio then 180X10

Then 410X6, 430X6, 430X6, 450X5. 

I'm getting close to 500lbs but as you and I both know the sled isn't all that difficult to throw quite a bit of weight on. I had to tweak my form a few months ago when I thought I did something to my super lower back/tailbone area doing this. I was bringing my knees as close to my chest as possible and I didn't know it was a thing but in doing so it was curling my hips off the back and curling my lower back and when pushing weight you can strain stuff down there. Now I'm more conscience about my hips and making sure I start to push juuuuust before they start to curl off. I probably lost about 2 inches of range but I'm all for improved form over trying to throw more weight than I should be risking injury. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😆

 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

I would actually love that! I love a lifting partner who actually takes it serious. I actually did that just last night but not that much..

I warmed up with a 5 min light cardio then 180X10

Then 410X6, 430X6, 430X6, 450X5. 

I'm getting close to 500lbs but as you and I both know the sled isn't all that difficult to throw quite a bit of weight on. I had to tweak my form a few months ago when I thought I did something to my super lower back/tailbone area doing this. I was bringing my knees as close to my chest as possible and I didn't know it was a thing but in doing so it was curling my hips off the back and curling my lower back and when pushing weight you can strain stuff down there. Now I'm more conscience about my hips and making sure I start to push juuuuust before they start to curl off. I probably lost about 2 inches of range but I'm all for improved form over trying to throw more weight than I should be risking injury. 

Yes, many do not realize that you do not need your knees on your chest, curling the hips off the seat is a bad thing. Form over weight always.

Keep it going, lifting will keep you strong into your golden years. At 51 years old, I am in way better shape than 95% plus of men my age.

#Spartanstrong

Image result for spartanstrong

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Well, I got you all beat....ice and snow.....

I'm out of road salt at home but I'm just glad enough there were not a bunch of downed tree branches and power failures.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-13 at 12.22.39 AM.png

I love that photograph...would have loved to lived during the 50's and enjoyed 50's cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I love that photograph...would have loved to lived during the 50's and enjoyed 50's cars.

But would you have enjoyed the 50's pay scale, lack of tech, so many other issues with the 50's outside of our enjoyment of auto's?

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...