smk4565

What do you Dare Cadillac to do?

32 posts in this topic

smk4565    321

Since "Dare Greatly" is the current ad campaign, I thought it would be a good idea for everyone to come up with one thing they dare Cadillac to do.  It can be anything, it could be to put the Sixteen intro production, to make a pure EV Tesla fighter, a mid-engine supercar, to changing the naming scheme to introducing a new marketing campaign, or anything you want.  

But you only get 1 Dare, people can up vote their favorite idea.

tumblr_m7unfs0UPa1qh5n42o1_500.jpg

smk4565    321

I dare Cadillac to build a V12 supercar, something to compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini and really stir up excitement.  This could probably be done with a twin turbo DOHC V8 and electric hybrid powertrain too.   Carbon fiber body, 200+ mph top speed, 3 second 0-60 time.  So really moving toward that hyper car territory.

hyperv6    774

I dare Cadillac to build a V12 supercar, something to compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini and really stir up excitement.  This could probably be done with a twin turbo DOHC V8 and electric hybrid powertrain too.   Carbon fiber body, 200+ mph top speed, 3 second 0-60 time.  So really moving toward that hyper car territory.

And we can all assume you will purchase one of these cars? 

How about just having a car that dominates BMW, Audi and Benz in all areas at a price that is competitive with the others. You do that it will amount to a hell of a lot more than a car that few will buy. 

You have to earn trust first before you dream super car. 

smk4565    321

How about just having a car that dominates BMW, Audi and Benz in all areas at a price that is competitive with the others. You do that it will amount to a hell of a lot more than a car that few will buy. 

I am not in a position to buy a $250,000 exotic car, nor will I ever be unless I hit the Powerball.  From a practice sense, I was thinking Cadillac should build an Omega crossover with turbo V6 and turbo V8 power. People like the crossovers.  But my wish, or in this case dare would be more of a moon shot product, just so they can say they did it.   It isn't a car that makes financial sense, but I am sure VW loses money on every Bugatti sold, but they made it just to prove they could.

balthazar    1,882

I would like to see a really big coupe from Cadillac, at least 205" overall.
NOT the El Miraj, which I think needs refinement, but more like a Ciel coupe. TTV8 only.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

hyperv6    774

I am not in a position to buy a $250,000 exotic car, nor will I ever be unless I hit the Powerball.  From a practice sense, I was thinking Cadillac should build an Omega crossover with turbo V6 and turbo V8 power. People like the crossovers.  But my wish, or in this case dare would be more of a moon shot product, just so they can say they did it.   It isn't a car that makes financial sense, but I am sure VW loses money on every Bugatti sold, but they made it just to prove they could.

And right now with them leveraging Lamborghini and Bentley to garner loans to deal with the diesel issues I bet they had that money back now. 

The reality is to challenge Cadillac to continue to make a profit, continue to improve their image and make their cars be the standard others are measured by. 

Wild ass ideas of super-cars and Bentley coupe challengers are just not smart moves till they fix the foundation of what supports the company and make these models the ones that are the best in their segments. 

I would dare to  take a CT6 and a Crossover that is profitable and best in class over the others  before anything else 

Large expensive coupes with  V12 engines names Eldorado  are not going to fix what needs fixed nor provide the profits. It may do some image work but it is a high price and a lot of risk as if it turns out to be another XLR then it would be a waste of money. 

• Upvote 2

dfelt    1,774

I Dare Cadillac to finally deliver a V Series Escalade ESV!

oldshurst442    988

I dare Cadillac to STOP taking 1 step forward 2 steps back!

Example:

Created a buzz with the FWD STS back in the early 1990s.

Made a worthy successor in that 2nd generation FWD STS.

Created a mess with the RWD Opel Omega Catera.

Decided to do a brand new Arts and Science CTS to replace Catera and finally realized that maybe Cadillac should be RWD.

Great start.

Escalade also debuts in a rocky start but gets improved by leaps and bounds each and every generation. Marketing for the Escalade is stupendously good excellent.

STS also goes RWD.

Cadillac now has 2 pretty good RWD sedans that are rough around the edges but great to begin a come back along with a SUV that quickly dominates the competition

Leaves the STS to rot on the vine. Cancels it.

Only to return to this segment a decade later with a new name, a name that once was beneath the STS in hierarchy.

Which was needless because the STS DID have pretty good name recognition, because the FWD version was actually a positive one for Cadillac.

Ironically, the RWD STS soured the people because of a lack of execution and left to rot.

Maybe the development money for the Evoq concept becoming a reality as the XLR should NOT have been spent (because that car also turned out to be a dud) and spent on improving a 2nd generation RWD STS along side the CTS instead of canceling it altogether.

We would have had what we have today in 2016 (ATS,CTS,CT6) a DECADE EARLIER with (CTS, STS and DTS but a DTS in RWD form)

Creates another big buzz with a second generation CTS. Finds a sweet spot as a 'tweener to the German sedan competitiors.

BMW adjusts their line-up to compete in that sweet spot as they grow in size their vaunted 3 Series..(yeah, bet you nobody thinks it that way!!!!!) and creates another model to replace the 3 Series spot.....successfully, unlike Cadillac.

Cadillac abandons that sweet spot and grows in size the CTS to compete with bigger cars, makes a smaller car with a new name confusing the crap out of its customer base.....

(Aint hindsight a beautiful thing though? Its easy to Monday Morning Quarterback, especially when sitting on a sofa, eating chips and playing with the internet)

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1

smk4565    321

Agreed with Olds hurst, but I like Balthazaar's idea of the full size coupe.  Something like the Phantom coupe that is just huge and over the top would be awesome.

oldshurst442    988

I would like to see Cadillac not play follow the leader with other luxury competitors - i.e. crossover-apoolza and subcompact luxury sedan.

This could be joined with my point of view to  really answer that triple dog dare.

Along with Hyper's suggestion of producing a profitable CT6 and XT5.

They took a step forward with the RWD SRX going FWD and Lexus competitor and hopefully dont ever change the formula of the XT5 which is a direct successor to the FWD SRX...

The 1st and 2nd gen CTS created its totally own niche that had a following.

One might even say BMW followed in Cadillac's footsteps by producing a larger 3 Series to be in that sweet spot...

Could one say that BMW followed Cadillac's footsteps? Wow...what a doozy opinion that is???!!!

Is that blasphemous to say if one was a BMW fanboy? I dont think so!!!

Well, maybe Cadillac should STOP selling itself short and not play follow the leader and have faith in itself.

Cadillac, when they take the 1 step forward, it really is a giant leap forward.

They should realize that they actually take the lead in the dance they are having with the competition and stick to THEIR formula of success...

The CTS, by being clever or by accident, invented the 'tweener  niche of BMW 3 & 5 Series...

They should have NEVER abandoned it....

Well, the CT6 is doing the same...by being a 'tweener in of short wheel base form S Class/7 Series by being the only one to be in this niche in North America.

And its a REAL and BETTER sports sedan in this league whether M-B, BMW and Audi EVER bring their short wheelbase fullsizers to North America.

The CT6 is re-writing the text book of how its done in this segment.

They should only NURTURE it and make it grow from here on out, NOT let it rot on the vine, or abandon it...

The STS commercial:

All they had to do was really work at it...

Not abandon it and abandon what the 1st and 2nd CTS did  and leave it to the 3rd generation CTS to pick up where the STS left off and create another car to replace the CTS, because the CTS replaces the STS and the CT6 replaces the XTS which replaced the DTS which kinda took the Fleetwood's place but it really was the Escalade that took the Fleetwood's place...and the STS was really not that far off to begin with to go into this stupid spiral...

surreal1272    677

I dare Cadillac not to worry about internet trolls who have absolutely no interest in their cars, in the first place. Oh wait. They already do that. Carry on.

• Upvote 1

Suaviloquent    713

I would agree with everyone here, there are valid reasons to go any way.

I would just dare them to continue the course, build vehicles with a consistent identity, and if you find a segment not worth pursuing, don't go after it.

I would though however find a way to bridge the interior quality differences with the CT6 and S-Class. Whether that is resolved with a separate model higher up or a refresh, that does not matter.

I would never forget that the V8 is Cadillac heritage. Keep it until it is no longer possible to do so.

• Upvote 1

rougeriver    2

Bring back the large body on frame RWD sedan that has a trunk capable of holding Billy Batts and six of his friends. The American pick up truck started life as a product leveraged off of the frames that were the foundation for large sedans. Sure, and Escalade is a truck. But why stop there? A frame, because it can resolve loads as a beam, rather than a lattice, is very amenable to both full and plug in EV drive systems because location of load points is not as constrained. As a result, a body on frame full size sedan with some from of E-drive would be large, powerful, well isolated, efficient and quiet. Sure, the poor torsional rigidity of a frame would not lend itself to canyon carving, but the mass centering and lowering by using batteries as part of an full or hybrid E-drive would counter some of that. The point is that not all luxury car buyers are into limit handling. I feel there is a market for a nice ride along with "presence". Capital costs are advantageous due to the immense manufacturing assets GM dedicates to truck frames. The market could be broad. Old timers with aches and pains and the millennials who dig the Ford Panther cars. Note, my suggestion could also be done with a conventional ICE drive. Cadillac has shown that they can do a "driver's' car, but, IMO, they did not need to abandon what they were already doing. 

ROUGERIVER!!!!

I Dare Cadillac to offer VARIANTS. I dare Cadillac to market their vehicles. 

Priorities are holding the car back. The ATS must come with the same hardware as its 5 most immediate competitors or it instantly loses a sale here.. a sale there. A Convertible at GM, other than at Chevy, should have been numero uno thought when the Alpha Platform was created. With the new Camaro already getting a convertible, it is proof positive that the Alpha platform can accommodate a ragtop. No way in hell a Camaro should have that option and the Flagship brand at GM doesn't have one to speak of in its entire line-up. Mercedes has a convertible C-Class, Eclass, SLK, SL, and S-Class coming. BMW has a convertible Z, 4series, and 6 series, Audi has an A5 Vert, R8, and TT.. Lexus and Infiniti even have a convertible in their entry level vehicle.. not one from the entirely of GM except at Chevy.. which are niche sports coupes mostly geared towards MEN.. the lower car buying demographic.

And that's the thing.. the needed product is actually here are coming soon. The ATS and CTS are the foundation of what is coming. They are the building blocks. The suggestion to include a convertible, coupe and wagon aren't about just wanting product for the sake of product.. but covering niche avenues without even having to invest heavily in multiple cars to boost sales and profits. The ATS and CTS should encompass 3 other vehicles within their own branding. There should be a CTS, CTS, CTE, and conversely a CTS-V, CTC-V, and CTE-V.. on top of that.. a CTX (CUV) wash, rinse, repeat for the ATS.

How does one get 13,000 3/4series sales? By having product avail for consumption. 

I've used this example to death.. but I Love Cadillac.. HATE foreign cars.. ALL of them.. but if I absolutely needed a convertible luxury car.. I'm not even able to put my favorite company on the list. I'd have to buy a Bentley, BMW, Audi, Benz, Jag, Lexus, or Infiniti. That's a fact
'
AT CADILLAC.. 3000 sales are just a piece of the puzzle that needs to be put together sure.. but most importantly it is a PIECE. No sale should be loss due to lack of product.

There in lies the problem.. I have looked at the numbers and voiced my reasons of WHY the CTS, arguably the best in its class.. the ATS..  are struggling in the sales race. I have said it time and time again. Sales are not the gauge of failure unless sales are the only thing one looks to achieve. Cadillac is in the middle of its first real attempt at taking on the leaders in the field. This is in both material and perception. Sales numbers are a gauge of success in the mainstream, more so in the Luxury segment. Personally I am not one who gets excited when they see another Cadillac pulling up resembling mine. I enjoy the inadvertent exclusivity. If I were a 3series owner who bought for the sake of luxury, or exclusivity I'd be pissed. Hell part of the reason why I was OK with getting rid of my Camaro was because I started seeing them too often. But Cadillac, above all others will be lambasted constantly until they go that route, ignoring the fact that they have Buick and GMC for that lifting.. and go into the exact same segments as the Germans as if.. like them.. they were a stand alone company. In fact I have said it on numerous occasions that GM should simply FOLLOW the playbook by VW concerning Audi in their product plans. They can not achieve 500K sales with 4 mainstream cars 1 mainstream SUV and 1 mainstream CUV. They can "niche" all they want, but that simply isn't the way the game or perception is played. The Press.. that is the media.. and even us supposed enthusiasts kno that Buick/GMC/Denali exists.. yet many of us still dog Cadillac out when we look at their numbers versus BMW, Lex, Benz, and Audi. As a 4 time Cadillac owner I have zero issue with them going the way of Audi.. as long as they still offer the kind of vehicles that I enjoy buying as well. 

To gain traction... Cadillac has already jumped the first, second, and third hurdle. Cadillac is simply better at more things than the German rivals these days. The areas where it lags are fixable, and consistently coming, building.. moving forward. Point blank we are not talking about Lincoln here,, or Lexus. The issues with Cadillac normally can be summed up in lack of marketing, lack of product, and a reluctance to, up til recently, Dare Greatly. CUE is fixed. The larger backseat is coming in 2 years.. not that its a concern to me. Escalade, ATS/ CTS-V, and CT6 will prime the world for the CT7 and CT8. 

Anyone thinking that this would be a quick fix hasn't looked at the reality of things for a long time. Cadillac isn't just battling within the realm of the segment, but battling within the automotive industry because of its origin. The entire brand actually is a mimic of the Corvette. 95% better than the foreign exotics competition, but marred and historically held back because of where it originated. I hope Cadillac simply builds the better car... 

rougeriver    2

Cmicasa the Great

I think we share a common interest in cars. My family climbed out of the depths of the Great Depression due to their employment by the D3. For example, all those nice lines you see on an Impala from the 1960s were wood modeled by my uncle. He had a good business relationship with the Fisher brothers. 

Because of bad times, GM no longer has the brand that, IMO, is best for the ATS and CTS - Oldsmobile. In a better world, Olds would have the ATS, CTS as rocket cars and the XTS would serves as a modern Delta 88. 

Cadillac would get the CT6 and CT8, some SUVs, and the Escalade.

smk4565    321

I like Balthazaar's large coupe idea best, and do agree they need a convertible.  I think they should do an Eldorado full size coupe/convertible, something big and over the top like the Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead, but more along the lines of CT6 turbo V6 pricing, like $70,000 range.

Drew Dowdell    4,993

I dare Cadillac to look at their most iconic vehicles from each decade and try a reproduce few of those formulas with modern requirements. Pull from their history.

I would start with a '39, '48 Jetback, '57 Eldorado, '67 Eldorado, a '75 Seville, an '85 Seville....

I don't mean copy the styling... I mean copy the formula.  Most of the ones I listed were when Cadillac dared to be different in some way. 

That said... as I'm sure Balth would point out a pattern in my selection..... I would totally be in line ready to sign up for a long hood, short deck, swept back coupe or sedan from Cadillac.

balthazar    1,882

^ I have no comment other than : good selection & I get your point.

I personally prefer a 'short hood / long deck' car, especially after the drought of such in the industry. We have "coupes" out there with decks less than 12" long.

WTF.

Cadillac, between it's taking the industry by storm with fins, and it's hallmark vertical tails… should make a concerted effort to again direct the eye to the rear of the car. It's their heritage ands it's high time the rear end of cars gets attention again. 

Drew Dowdell    4,993

The majority of coupes we have today all seem to tumble forward rather than sweep back. None of the sedans seem to sweep back... That would immediately show up on my radar.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Equinox, Acadia, Envision and XT5 Achieve Best July Ever
      Crossover and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for best monthly mix ever July incentive spending as a percentage of ATP below industry average, driving ATPs up nearly $1,000 Commercial sales up 40 percent for best July since 2007 Lowest daily rental sales mix of any full-line automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported July U.S. retail sales of 202,220 vehicles, down about 14 percent from strong sales in July 2016. In July, GM’s crossovers and trucks account for 80 percent of sales for the company’s best monthly mix ever.
      While the U.S. market continues to moderate, sales of GM’s newest crossovers were strong in July:
      Chevrolet Equinox - up 4 percent for its best July ever. Chevrolet Bolt EV – 1,832 Bolts were sold in July for the best month ever. August will be the first month the Bolt EV is available on a national basis. GMC Acadia - up 30 percent for its best July ever. Buick Envision - up 89 percent for its best July ever. Cadillac XT5 - up 6 percent for its best July ever. GM’s July incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction prices (ATP) was 11.5 percent, more than 1 full percentage point below the industry average, and 0.5 percentage points below GM’s 2016 calendar year average. Some of GM’s competitors, without strong truck and crossover businesses, are offering significantly higher incentives across their entire portfolios, according to J.D. Power PIN estimates.
      In addition, GM’s ATPs were about $36,000, up nearly $1,000 from July 2016.
      “We have strategically decided to reduce car production rather than increase incentive spending or dump vehicles into daily rental fleets, like some of our competitors,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations.  “We are working hard to protect the residual values of our new products and growing quality retail and commercial sales, and July’s ATPs reflect that discipline.”
      GM’s U.S. commercial vehicles sales were up 40 percent from last July, the best July since 2007, led by strong large van sales (up 89 percent), small utilities (up 61 percent) and large pickup sales (up 21 percent).  Year to date, GM commercial sales are up 11 percent. U.S. daily rental sales were down more than 11,200 vehicles or 81 percent in July, as planned. In July, GM’s daily rental sales accounted for only 1 percent of GM’s total sales.  GM continues to have the lowest U.S. rental mix of any full-line automaker at about 7 percent of total sales year to date.    
      GM’s July total sales were 226,107 vehicles, down about 15 percent from strong levels last year.
      “Changing customer tastes have driven us to refocus our business on higher margin, faster growing segments, like the crossover segments. We are launching the most all-new crossovers in our history to take full advantage of the changes occurring in the U.S. marketplace,” added McNeil. “Our newest crossovers are performing very well in the marketplace and we’ll build on that momentum with the all-new Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Terrain, Buick Enclave and the introduction of the Regal TourX through the second half of 2017.”
      By the end of 2017, GM will offer customers the U.S. industry’s newest and broadest lineup of crossovers.
      “U.S. auto sales continue to moderate from last year’s record pace, but key U.S. economic fundamentals remain supportive of strong vehicle sales,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate the second half of 2017 will be much stronger than the first half.”
      July Brand Retail Highlights (vs. July 2016 unless noted)       
      Chevrolet
      Colorado was up 22 percent. Both Camaro and Cruze were up slightly. Crossovers best year to date: Equinox, Traverse and Trax. Volt has best year to date. Volt and Bolt EV July sales combined for more than 3,300 deliveries. Silverado LD double cab was up 4 percent. Buick
      Best year to date retail sales since 2005, up 2 percent. July ATPs are highest since December 2015. SUV mix is highest ever at 85 percent. GMC
      ATPs are the highest ever, up 8 percent from last July. Sierra boasts the highest ATPs in the full-size pickup segment. Sierra HDs up 6 percent in July and year to date up 9 percent, the best in a decade Yukon up 4 percent. Yukon had its best July since 2007. Cadillac
      CT6 up 7 percent. Year to date, XT5 retail sales are up 10 percent vs. combined SRX and XT5 sales a year ago. July ATPs up more than $3,000 and lead the luxury market and more than $3,000 higher than its closest competitor. Guidance on U.S. Vehicle Inventory Levels
      We anticipate we will end 2017 at or below last year’s level, with fewer cars and more trucks, crossovers and utilities in the mix. Pickup, crossovers and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of 2017 vs. the first half of the year. We continue to monitor the marketplace and will make additional production adjustments if needed.
    • By William Maley
      Cadillac's sedan lineup in the future is going to look much smaller. Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen told Reuters in an interview that the ATS, CTS, and XTS will not be directly replaced when their lifecycles end in 2019. A new model called the CT5 will take their place and cost between $35,000 and $45,000.
      "We have to rebalance our sedan portfolio," de Nysschen.
      The CT6 will take care of the top end, while a new small luxury sedan (possibly named CT4) will handle the low end.
      de Nysschen reiterated plans of Cadillac building out their crossover lineup with the XT4 launching in 2019. de Nysschen also mentioned that Cadillac could be launching a range of electric vehicles in the latter half of the next decade.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Cadillac's sedan lineup in the future is going to look much smaller. Cadillac president Johan de Nysschen told Reuters in an interview that the ATS, CTS, and XTS will not be directly replaced when their lifecycles end in 2019. A new model called the CT5 will take their place and cost between $35,000 and $45,000.
      "We have to rebalance our sedan portfolio," de Nysschen.
      The CT6 will take care of the top end, while a new small luxury sedan (possibly named CT4) will handle the low end.
      de Nysschen reiterated plans of Cadillac building out their crossover lineup with the XT4 launching in 2019. de Nysschen also mentioned that Cadillac could be launching a range of electric vehicles in the latter half of the next decade.
      Source: Reuters
    • By William Maley
      Strong Lineup of Crossovers and Utilities Drove GM's U.S. June Sales
      Crossover retail sales up 23 percent on strength of Equinox Buick U.S. retail sales up 6 percent Commercial sales up 36 percent, for best June since 2006 Lowest daily rental sales mix of any full-line automaker DETROIT — General Motors (NYSE: GM) today reported June U.S. retail sales of 202,908 vehicles, down about 3 percent from the same period last year. However, in the fastest growing U.S. retail market segment, GM’s crossover retail sales were up 23 percent, due largely to the strength of Chevrolet Equinox, which were up 36 percent.  Buick’s U.S. retail sales were up 6 percent. 
      GM’s U.S. Commercial sales were up 36 percent, for its best June since 2006.  Commercial and Government sales were 77 percent of GM’s fleet sales for the month.  U.S. daily rental sales were down nearly 11,000 vehicles or 54 percent in June, as planned.  
      GM’s June total sales were 243,155 vehicles, down about 5 percent from the same period last year.
      GM’s mid crossovers, compact crossovers and utilities were up a combined 22 percent on a U.S. retail sales basis compared to the same period last year. This strong performance was carried throughout the Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac lineups:
      Chevrolet Suburban – up 9 percent Chevrolet Tahoe – up 15 percent Chevrolet Equinox - up 36 percent Chevrolet Traverse – up 71 percent Chevrolet Bolt EV – delivered 1,425 vehicles. Buick Enclave –up 10 percent Buick Encore – up 8 percent Buick Envision - up 101 percent GMC Acadia – up 25 percent Cadillac Escalade – up 14 percent Cadillac XT5 – up 29 percent General Motors is in the midst of launching the most all-new crossover offerings into the U.S. market in its history. 
      “Our crossover renaissance began last year with the introduction of the all-new GMC Acadia and Cadillac XT5, and continued this year with the Chevrolet Bolt EV and Equinox,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president of Sales Operations. “The all-new Equinox is off to a strong start and we will leverage that momentum as we introduce four additional crossovers in the second half of 2017.”
      By the end of 2017, GM will offer customers the U.S. industry’s newest and broadest lineup of crossovers.
      “U.S. total sales are moderating due to an industry-wide pull-back in daily rental sales, but key U.S. economic fundamentals clearly remain positive,” said Mustafa Mohatarem, GM chief economist. “Under the current economic conditions, we anticipate U.S. retail vehicle sales will remain strong for the foreseeable future.”
      June Business Highlights (vs. June 2016)
      According to J.D Power PIN estimates, GM’s incentive spending as a percentage of average transaction prices (ATP) was 12.0 percent in June, equal to our 2016 calendar year average, and lower than any domestic and many Asian competitors. ATPs were $35,657, up nearly $400 per vehicle. First Half Highlights (vs. First Half 2016)
      GM’s U.S. retail sales are on pace with last year’s performance. Q2 incentive spend was about 12 percent, down two full percentage points from Q1. Q2 ATPs are up about $800 over Q1, due to a higher truck/crossover mix and lower incentives. Crossover retail sales were up 23 percent, the highest first half in GM history. Buick’s U.S. retail sales were up 8 percent. Commercial sales were up 8 percent, in a segment that’s down 5 percent. Government sales were up 1 percent, in a segment that’s down 9 percent. Daily rental sales were down nearly 31,000 vehicles or 21 percent. Daily rental sales mix was in a range of about 8 percent, the lowest among full-line automakers in the U.S. industry. Combined XT5 and SRX sales are up 18 percent year to date, the highest first half for Cadillac crossovers. Best Cruze retail sales since 2014. Best Volt retail sales in history. Best Colorado retail sales since 2005. Best Traverse retail sales in history. Best Acadia retail sales in history. From an industry standpoint, GM expects the second half of 2017 will be stronger than the first half.  Pickup and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of the year.
      June Brand Retail Highlights (vs. 2016)                              

Chevrolet
      Corvette and Cruze were up 4 percent and 3 percent, respectively. Colorado was up 3 percent. Equinox had its best June ever. Crossover sales were up 42 percent. Silverado total sales are up 2 percent and retail sales are up 1 percent. Best Silverado month of the year for total sales. Buick
      Lacrosse was up 39 percent. Crossover sales were up 21 percent. GMC
      ATPs were up $1,067 to $44,539. Best Denali month ever – over 31 percent of retail sales. Cadillac
      CT6 was up 4 percent. ATPs were up $2,300 to $56,301. Guidance on U.S. Vehicle Inventory Levels
      We anticipate we will end 2017 with approximately the same day supply of vehicles as we did at the end of 2016 with fewer cars and more trucks and crossovers in the mix. Pickup and utility sales, GM’s strength, are expected to be stronger in the second half of the year. We will continue to monitor the marketplace and will make additional production adjustments if needed.
    • By William Maley
      The Cadillac XTS represents the last of an era of front-wheel drive based luxury sedans for the brand. You may think that it will not be too long before the XTS goes into the great parking lot in the sky. But that's where you be wrong as the brand is giving the XTS some big updates for 2018.
      The most noticeable change is the new face that makes the XTS look more like the CT6 - something we first learned about last month. There is a new front grille and headlights that have been moved up slightly. The rear comes with a new trunk and reshaped LED taillights. Inside, Cadillac has introduced the latest version of CUE which brings forth an all new user interface.
      There is much to report in the XTS' mechanicals aside from an updated chassis that is said to improve ride comfort. The 3.6 V6 with 304 horsepower comes standard, while the V Sport makes do with a turbocharged 3.6 V6 with 410 horsepower. Both engines come paired with a six-speed automatic. The 3.6 is available with front or all-wheel drive, and the V-Sport only comes with AWD.
      The updated 2018 XTS arrives at dealers this fall.
      Source: Cadillac
      Press Release is on Page 2
      2018 XTS JOINS NEW GENERATION OF CADILLAC DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY
      NEW FOR 2018
      Enhanced technology features with next-generation Cadillac user experience Improved chassis for even greater ride comfort Freshened front and rear appearance The Cadillac XTS is a spacious and comfortable sedan with confident handling and performance. For 2018, the XTS receives technical, chassis and appearance changes to heighten the appeal of this elegant sedan.
      Beginning with the enhanced next-generation Cadillac user experience, which debuted on the 2017 CTS sport sedan, the XTS now offers a dynamic platform that can be adjusted over time to meet a customer’s evolving connectivity needs, leveraging the cloud to enable personalization, available connected navigation and applications via the Collection app store.
      The updated chassis has revised tire designs for both 19” and 20” tires—improving ride comfort while reducing outside noise for a quieter more comfortable cabin. Drivers will find front-seat luxury much more comfortable thanks to changes to seat foam geometry, wire frame structure and heat pad redesign. An increased use of engineered sound insulators (to reduce exterior noise) reduces cabin sound to create an even more serene environment.
      New exterior styling features freshened front and rear fascias. Updated interior color and trim choices – including a Platinum-exclusive Maple Sugar with Jet Black environment – and new alloy wheel options highlight the updates to the XTS. The appearance change includes new fenders, front and rear fascias, grille, and the addition of LED headlights and taillamp in keeping with today’s portfolio. It also brings the overall length of the car to 200.9 inches (1.1” inches shorter than 2017).
      Also available is the XTS Platinum V-Sport, which takes performance to a higher level, driven by an exclusive twin-turbo engine and all-wheel drive.
      Standard and available features across the lineup include:
      Updated chassis with improved ride comfort Brembo front brakes standard Available advanced all-wheel-drive system with electronically controlled limited-slip differential Standard 19-inch wheels and available 20-inch wheels, with a new wheel design for Luxury and Platinum models Updated next-generation Cadillac user experience infotainment system with the fastest response time ever, updated graphics, personalized profiles, smartphone-like navigation, Wi-Fi and active connection Adaptive remote start Four USB ports Standard eight-speaker Bose audio system When it comes to trunk space, the XTS is in a league of its own, with 18 cubic feet (509 L), exceeding some midsize and full-size competitors — that’s more than the Audi A6, BMW 5 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. The cargo advantage means room for five or more suitcases.

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online