Sign in to follow this  
Chazman

Bob Lutz says 100,000 Camaros.

46 posts in this topic

If this isn't a "here it comes!," I'm not so sure what is.. :yes::metal::smilewide:

Edited by NOS2006

That's really pushing it. Unless they'll offer a sedan and wagon.

lmao.

Read the posts on that site about how many F-Bodies sold in its LAST year. That's when it was already going way downhill.

100,000 is lower than I expected.

Six figures yearly can be obtain if they do the following

Price it with the Mustang

Give us a near 300 HP V6 coupe that will sell in greater volume than the V8

Keep the car so that also appeals to women as much as men or you lose 50% of the buying market.

Keep the insurance rate down on the V6 car with 5 star ratings.

Get the interest of ther youth market, they can't drift in a FWD. The young is what made the Camaro strong in the 60's and 70's just as they did with the Mustang in the 80's and 90's.

The V8 Z28 and SS will take care of itself just make them the fastest, best handleing and best riding on the market for the money.

Ford is selling 160,000 Mustangs this year and will do the same in the future. The Mustang is not really a great car as it is a fun to drive good value and that is what GM need to accomplish. If Ford can do it GM can too, there is no excuse not to meet this figure for 4 years with no major updates. Now major update will be need in 4 years and not 8+ years like the old car.

With the proper car and feeding they can make it grow and bring back this market that was lost. The sport compact market is not growing as it once was and a new trend could take if marketed right.

Edited by hyperv6

The key to the sales is going to be offering a fun car that appeals to a wide variety of buyers in a reasonable price range comparable to the Mustang..

Maybe to undercut the Mustang in price, maybe they will do a light base model with the Ecotec engine... then a 250 hp V6, a base 300 hp V8 (5.3L?) for an SS and a higher output (350-400hp) 6.0L V8 Z-28 (or have the SS the bigger engined model and the Z-28 the smaller one?), and a 500 hp 6.0L Z06 engined model at the high end..

As long as they have 3 engines, each around 250-300 HP, 300-350 HP, and 350-450 HP, they'll do fine. Well, that's if they keep the exterior as close to concept as possible and the interior comes out looking great...

Good read. I'm already buying one and so is Sixty8 and NOS. That makes 99,997 sales left. Toyoguy? wpbharry? You in on this? :P :AH-HA_wink:

add me ...99,996

Good read. I'm already buying one and so is Sixty8 and NOS. That makes 99,997 sales left. Toyoguy? wpbharry? You in on this? :P :AH-HA_wink:

I've already got Marcia wanting one. :)

Fine for the first year, I want to see what happens the third year.

if i remember correctly between the first 3 years of the camaro 67-69... GM sold over 600k units... (i'm not sure if that was f-body or just camaro... but if the formula is right it'll sell)

I wouldn't be shocked if at least 5-10 people from this site ended up getting one. We've already got 4 to say yeah.

The key to the sales is going to be offering a fun car that appeals to a wide variety of buyers in a reasonable price range comparable to the Mustang..

Maybe to undercut the Mustang in price, maybe they will do a light base model with the Ecotec engine...  then a 250 hp V6, a base 300 hp V8 (5.3L?) for an SS and a higher output (350-400hp) 6.0L V8 Z-28 (or have the SS the bigger engined model and the Z-28 the smaller one?), and a 500 hp 6.0L Z06 engined model at the high end..

They will never do the 4 cylinder mistake again on the Camaro. There is just no appeal in a 3600 pound 4 cylinder even if it is a Ecotech.

I have no clue on a V6 they plan, but I could see a base V6 and a High output V6 being offered to make a affordable performace coupe at some point in production down the road.

In the end I see the Holden formula of one good performance V6 with several V8 options is what I expect they will start with.

The bottom line we will not see all the cards when the car comes out as usual. I expect to see upgrades and options added to keep interest up.

Keep in mind no matter what engines are used cost is a major factor in building this car. We may not see or get all we wish for as to keep cost down on the more base models. Lutz will force them the meet or beat the Mustang price and they will have to find ways to do it. You can get all the toys in a SS but your going to have to pay for it just as you do with a Shelby GT 500.

Guest YellowJacket894

Sign me up for a V-6 model if it's cheap and has near 300-horsepower. :thumbsup:

But my heart is where my sig's at...

Also, I think this proves that we should take whatever insiders left here post as the exact opposite.

Also, I think this proves that we should take whatever insiders left here post as the exact opposite.

:huh:

I dunno... Lutz is kinda GM's mouthpiece and he likes to talk...

I'll put more faith into the insiders on this site than Lutz.

They will never do the 4 cylinder mistake again on the Camaro. There is just no appeal in a 3600 pound 4 cylinder even if it is a Ecotech.

That's why I said a light base model with the Ecotec..2800lbs instead of 3600lbs...

Anyway, I hope they can keep the weight under control..

Since people demand 5 star safety ratings and since Zeta will mostly be used for sedans, they probably can't. Anyone wanting a Chevrolet coupe with an Ecotec can buy a Cobalt.

if i remember correctly between the first 3 years of the camaro 67-69... GM sold over 600k units... (i'm not sure if that was f-body or just camaro... but if the formula is right it'll sell)

Just about 700K actually. Well.... very very close. 699,138.

1967 --- 220,906

1968 --- 235,147

1969 --- 243,085

Edited by Sixty8panther

That's why I said a light base model with the Ecotec..2800lbs instead of 3600lbs...

You have a choice low cost, 5 star rating and 3600 pounds or High cost, 5 star rating and 2800 pound car.

Once you add the light weight metals to make it strong and light your going to have to pay for it.

GM is going to do much the same on as they did for the Solstice and for go some extra weight to keep the price in check.

Heck if you want 2800 and a Eco buy a Solstice anyway.

I can not say this enough GM will do any and all things to keep this car solid but also to retain cost to keep the price down. I am sure there is much in fighting as there was with Kappa on price line.

With the launch of its all-new - and unabashedly retro - Mustang,

Ford saw sales surge to 160,975 last year, and probably could

do more with additional production capacity. Skeptics will note

that the Mustang had handily outsold Camaro for years, but that

was a Camaro that had grown too aero-slick, almost

anesthetically clean for its own good.

Well said.

Great photos, except they left the 1/4 windows up. :(

Posted Image

Don't expect a 4 cyl in a Camaro again, ever. It just won't work.

Besides, I averaged 25 MPG (combined) in my 99 Z/28 and my 95 Z/28 gets around 22. Any thought of fuel savings from a 4 banger would disappear from the work the engine would have to do to move the car. A good solid efficient V-6 will do very well as a base engine. But as for me bring on the V-8 and 400+HP!!!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this