William Maley

Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Considers Trim and Features Changes for Camaro

The sixth-generation Chevrolet Camaro has been lagging somewhat in sales when compared to the likes of the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger. Through July, Chevrolet only has moved 41,280 Camaros (down 2.5 percent). Compared to the Mustang which sold 50,814 (down 30 percent). The Challenger trails the Camaro but not by much - 41,243 units (up 2.6 percent). It gets worse when you compare it to last-generation Camaro. In 2015, the last year for the fifth-generation model, Chevrolet moved 77,502 models. A year later when the sixth-generation arrived, sales dropped to 72,705 models. 

To try and change the Camaro's fortunes, General Motors is considering making some changes to the lineup. Some of those changes will focus on the base and V8 models.

"I think we've got opportunities at the very low end of the Camaro range and some remix of some of the V-8 options on it so we don't force people to buy all the options with a V-8, just to get a V-8," said GM product chief Mark Reuss.

Reuss wouldn't go into detail about the possible changes or when we could see them.

Bringing down the price of the V8 is a great start. The 2018 Camaro with the V8 begins at $37,995 which is $4,800 more the Mustang V8 and $5,000 more than the Challenger. We could see a base V8 with smaller wheels, skip the infotainment system and have a radio, and other changes.

We hope Chevrolet is planning to make changes very soon as Ford's refreshed Mustang is just around the corner.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

• Upvote 1

Have a stripped tin can with a big fat V8 would stimulate sales as people who want a Camaro with V8 but nothing else will buy. 

The good ol days of a sleeper with power.

I've said time and time again, and I'll say it here-

The answer has been right in front of them ALL ALONG- PUT A 5.3 IN THE DAMN THING!!!

Not only would the lower price point and additional trim see additional sales, it would still away sales from the Mustang for people who want a more 'authentic' muscle/pony car feel at a given price point. 

A manual 1LS V6 Camaro Coupe w/ no other options rings up $28,395 after Dest. I bet the 5.3 costs them LESS to build. Even if cost the same, let's say they put a 2 grand premium on a 5.3 car with the same options. Put a proper- but not fancy E-thingy- LSD out back, slightly upgraded brakes, and summer tires on 18-19 wheels. That car priced at $30,500-31,000 would sell like gang busters.

The new Camaro is great, but in the effort to make it more refined, and faster, and more capable, they've made the car expensive, and eroded some of the car's original ethos and philosophy.

I looked at the new SS before buying my GTI. The 2SS is simply too much money. The 1SS still has more than I need without having the stuff I want. If I can't get the A/C seats and all the other goodies for an attractive price, I'd gladly give up a little power and outright performance to get a cheaper, but still V8-powered car. There is NO way I'm alone in that. 

• Like 1

I feel like a lot of brands price the V8 or sport model high because they know enthusiasts will pay extra for it.  And at the same time it helps their CAFE by putting a big up charge on a V8 so it drives sales to the smaller engine.

It would be nice to be able to get a V8 without getting a lot of option packages but re-Shuffling the options will not create more sales.  If they want sales increase they should offer all wheel drive.

• Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, regfootball said:

leg room and head room, if they can't add that then whatever else they do has limited benefit.

That is true too, it is a hard car to get in and our of and see out of. 

SO are all the exotics and sports cars. Buyers in these classes wear that as a badge of honor.

Camaro moving 80K/year is incredible to me. Not that tweaks / option juggling isn't always a good thing to reassess, but that's very healthy 'play thing' numbers.

5 hours ago, frogger said:

Ford isn't sleeping on the Mustang either, bunch of updates coming for 2018, competition is good.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a32298/2018-ford-mustang/

Too bad they made the front end uglier. Otherwise, nice updates. 

3 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I feel like a lot of brands price the V8 or sport model high because they know enthusiasts will pay extra for it.  And at the same time it helps their CAFE by putting a big up charge on a V8 so it drives sales to the smaller engine.

It would be nice to be able to get a V8 without getting a lot of option packages but re-Shuffling the options will not create more sales.  If they want sales increase they should offer all wheel drive.

Lowering the end price via option changes will absolutely increase sales. Not sure where you get such silliness from. 

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

SO are all the exotics and sports cars. Buyers in these classes wear that as a badge of honor.

Camaro moving 80K/year is incredible to me. Not that tweaks / option juggling isn't always a good thing to reassess, but that's very healthy 'play thing' numbers.

because its completely impossible to create a sporty coupe that has headroom

fl0115-204053_2.jpg

Drop the price on the base as well....

Offer stuff they can add to make it their own.....let' get a new generation in these...

Price drops elsewear are wise too......

They don't seem to interested in dropping the price because they want to move it up market.  It used to be a loaded Camaro was about the same price as a loaded Impala (or Lumina) in the 90s 4th Gen, and the base models were about the same too.  They are going more for a higher price, higher margin plan now it seems, not a volume play like FCA sort of goes for with their discounts.

The Charger/Challenger have all wheel drive though, and the CTS has it, it would be so easy to add AWD to a Camaro V6 for the snow belt states, then you find some more sales.  The Supra is coming, if they price it like the Camaro and Mustang it could shake up this segment a bit.

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, regfootball said:

because its completely impossible to create a sporty coupe that has headroom

[picture of 1968 Camaro]

'68 Camaro headroom : 37"
'17 Camaro headroom : 38.5"

:o

I am on board with a Camaro with LS trim, V8, six speed manual, and LSD. 

How I have ALWAYS felt about the alpha Camaro is what Bob Lutz said on August the 4rth, 2017 on RoadandTrack.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a11471024/bob-lutz-on-why-the-new-ford-mustang-beats-the-camaro/

Dear Bob,

The new Camaro has been outsold by the Mustang almost every month. What’s holding it back?

David Freedman, Detroit, Michigan

The minute I saw the new Mustang and the new Camaro, I knew Ford had won this round. The Mustang is a design masterpiece: sleek, semi-European, yet still a Mustang. Independent rear suspension or not, it is a winner. The Camaro, an even better car, sinks into quasi-irrelevance. You can’t tell it from the previous one. “The same as before, only smaller” has never been a winning formula in a fashion-conscious segment. The current Camaro, although fabulous, missed the mark.

And to boot, I quickly fell out of love with the Zeta Camaro shortly thereafter when the 3rd Transformers movie came out...so sometime in 2011.

Yes...not long after the Camaro went on sale. I was deeply,  madly in love when it hit the streets. We had several lustful encounters together

anigif_sub-buzz-8512-1494453851-1.gif?do

but the attraction was short lived.

giphy.gif

To get my attention...it seemed like every other month there was another Transformers Camaro reference...and it scared to shyte out of me...

It felt kinda like this

e7doQA.gif

Then the Alpha Camaro came out...and it felt as if Chevy was purposely trying to kill me!

QO2xetQ.gif

Edited by oldshurst442

The Gen 6 Camaro does look too similar to the Gen 5 Camaro.  And I think the current Mustang is the best looking Piny car of the past 10 years or so.   I like the Mustang's interior more than the Camaro's also.  Huge missed opportunity by Ford not to offer an Ecoboost V6 in the Mustang, and I don't know why Ford hasn't made an Ecoboost V8 yet.

The 6th gen Camaro has side windows even smaller than the 5th gen, I think..the chopped top look is so impractical...and the grille is oversized and juvenile--looks like it is a large fish trying to swallow smaller fish..painfully ugly plastic cheese front end, as bad as the predator shit from Lexus, IMO..

The Camaro may be a great performer, but the styling is dreadful, IMO. 

2017-camaro-zl1-gal-ext-03.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The 6th gen Camaro has side windows even smaller than the 5th gen, I think..the chopped top look is so impractical...and the grille is oversized and juvenile--looks like it is a large fish trying to swallow smaller fish..painfully ugly plastic cheese front end, as bad as the predator shit from Lexus, IMO..

The Camaro may be a great performer, but the styling is dreadful, IMO. 

2017-camaro-zl1-gal-ext-03.jpg

Big Mouth Billy Bass! 

I agree the chopped top narrow windows, just does not do it for me.

• Upvote 1

i like the styling, but at some point the compromises to me are such that you could get something almost as nice styling wise with better visibility and less claustrophobia.

i think chevy thought because of interest in bimmer coupes 1, 2, and 3 and the buzz around the code red concept, that people were moving to smaller cars.  Well the truth there is Camaro's can handle like BMW's but will never be considered as fashion accesories as such.  the other is that evil CAFE forcing all the room and space out of the cars to squeeze out the extra one or two mpg.

GM as a whole has been terrible on pricing lately. They just aren't competitive on price.  The Traverse is a fine piece, but families shop on cost. Dip your toe just slightly out of the base model and the price shoots up drastically.  Just adding leather forces you into the LT at $42k. Ford gets you there for $38k in an Explorer. Hyundai for $35k, Honda for $36k. I see Acadias over $40k with cloth seats.  

That said, GM will really punish you if you want more power, when it's even available.  A 2.0T in a Malibu forces you into an option package priced at $31k.  At Ford, the 2.0T is a $1,750 option on the SE model. You can already see above about the Camaro.  Want an Envision with the 2.0T instead of the dog 2.5? Base price jumps from $34k to $43k. How about a nice CTS with a 3.6 instead of a 2.0T? That'll be an extra $8k please. $9,400 if you try the same jump in an ATS. 

Now a lot of those jumps involve multiple trim level climbs, forcing you into high option vehicles just to get a higher powered engine.  I realize that poverty spec trims shouldn't have the higher power engine available, but being forced to jump from the base model to the Premium Luxury trim just to get a V6 is asinine. 

• Upvote 2

Them there supercomputers ought to be able to run an assembly line a la carte, like the old days.  Option packages are nothing but extortion.  I should be able to order what I want.  There is a balance between higher profits and higher unit sales.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Upvote 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. ToniCipriani
      ToniCipriani
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Kia has revealed the pricing for the 2018 Stinger and Stinger GT that will be arriving at dealers next month. The base Stinger with a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder will begin at $32,800. The twin-turbo 3.3 V6 Stinger GT kicks off at $39,250. Prices include a $900 destination charge.
      The Stinger comes standard with 18-inch wheels, limited slip differential, leather upholstery, power adjustable front seats with heat, dual-zone climate control, keyless ignition, and a 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. Stinger GT models add adaptive dampers, Brembo brakes, and a nine-speaker audio system with external amplifier. All-wheel drive is available for an extra $2,200 with either engine.
      “Although the Stinger is unlike any other Kia that has come before it in terms of pure driving enjoyment, it is still very much a traditional Kia in that it offers consumers a very compelling value proposition, providing excellent performance and handling, premium features and functionality when compared to its much higher-priced competitors.” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning for Kia Motor America.
      Source: Kia
      Press Release is on Page 2
      KIA MOTORS AMERICA ANNOUNCES 2018 STINGER PRICING
      Fastback Performance Sedan Brings Kia to New Heights While Maintaining Remarkable Value Stinger delivers head-turning design, premium amenities and heart-pounding power at an incredibly value-packed price Combination of aggressive pricing and spirited performance makes Stinger a compelling alternative to substantially more expensive luxury sport sedans IRVINE, Calif., November 16, 2017 — Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced pricing for the highly anticipated all-new 2018 Stinger fastback sport sedan.  Expected to arrive in Kia dealers in December1, the highest-performance production vehicle in the company’s history will be offered in five trim levels – Stinger, Stinger Premium, GT, GT1, and GT2.
      Stinger starts at $31,900 Stinger Premium starts at $37,100 GT starts at $38,350 GT1 starts at $43,250 GT2 starts at $49,200 All-wheel drive:  $2,200 Destination: $900 “The Stinger is a prime example of Kia’s commitment to surpassing consumers’ expectations in everything we do,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning, KMA. “Although the Stinger is unlike any other Kia that has come before it in terms of pure driving enjoyment, it is still very much a traditional Kia in that it offers consumers a very compelling value proposition, providing excellent performance and handling, premium features and functionality when compared to its much higher-priced competitors.”
      Designed in Frankfurt, developed on the Nürburgring, and built by the brand ranked highest by J.D. Power in initial quality3, the Stinger is offered with multiple engine and drivetrain configurations and luxurious accommodations. All Stingers come standard with a leather-appointed interior, though ultra-soft Nappa leather is available. A thick hand-stitched multifunction leather-wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters sits front and center of the driver, while the GT trim gets a flat-bottom steering wheel.  All Stingers are available with a large color TFT instrument cluster with performance gauges including a track timer, and in true gran turismo fashion, the Stinger has a generous 23.3 cu.-ft. of cargo space that can be accessed via a power liftgate with available Smart Trunk functionality.
      The base Stinger rides on a passive suspension tuned to offer a balance of handling and ride comfort, while the GT is available with Kia’s first electronically controlled Dynamic Stability Damping Control and standard high-performance Brembo®4 disc brakes. Two turbocharged engines are available: The base Stinger and Premium trims get a 2.0-liter twin-scroll turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 255 horsepower at 6,200 rpm with 260 lb.-ft. of maximum torque available from 1,400 – 4,000 rpm. Stingers wearing the GT moniker get a more powerful 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6 which produces 365 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and offers 376 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,300 – 4,500 rpm.  Both engines are matched to a second-generation eight-speed rear-drive automatic transmission. All-wheel drive also is available across all trims.
      Multiple Advance Driver Assistance systems work together to enhance the driving experience, including Driver Attention Warning (DAW)5, Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA)6 with pedestrian detection, Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go (SCC w/ S&G)6, Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) 6, Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW) 6, and Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW)6.  A height-adjustable color Head-Up Display (HUD)7 display is also available.
      The base audio system for the 2.0-liter turbo features six speakers and a seven-inch color touchscreen with the latest version of UVO, Kia’s award-winning telematics systems8. The standard system found in the GT trim ups the speaker count to nine and includes an external amplifier. A premium Harman/Kardon®9 audio system that features Clari-Fi™10 and next-generation QuantumLogic™11 Surround Sound technology is also available.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Kia has revealed the pricing for the 2018 Stinger and Stinger GT that will be arriving at dealers next month. The base Stinger with a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder will begin at $32,800. The twin-turbo 3.3 V6 Stinger GT kicks off at $39,250. Prices include a $900 destination charge.
      The Stinger comes standard with 18-inch wheels, limited slip differential, leather upholstery, power adjustable front seats with heat, dual-zone climate control, keyless ignition, and a 7-inch touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. Stinger GT models add adaptive dampers, Brembo brakes, and a nine-speaker audio system with external amplifier. All-wheel drive is available for an extra $2,200 with either engine.
      “Although the Stinger is unlike any other Kia that has come before it in terms of pure driving enjoyment, it is still very much a traditional Kia in that it offers consumers a very compelling value proposition, providing excellent performance and handling, premium features and functionality when compared to its much higher-priced competitors.” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning for Kia Motor America.
      Source: Kia
      Press Release is on Page 2
      KIA MOTORS AMERICA ANNOUNCES 2018 STINGER PRICING
      Fastback Performance Sedan Brings Kia to New Heights While Maintaining Remarkable Value Stinger delivers head-turning design, premium amenities and heart-pounding power at an incredibly value-packed price Combination of aggressive pricing and spirited performance makes Stinger a compelling alternative to substantially more expensive luxury sport sedans IRVINE, Calif., November 16, 2017 — Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced pricing for the highly anticipated all-new 2018 Stinger fastback sport sedan.  Expected to arrive in Kia dealers in December1, the highest-performance production vehicle in the company’s history will be offered in five trim levels – Stinger, Stinger Premium, GT, GT1, and GT2.
      Stinger starts at $31,900 Stinger Premium starts at $37,100 GT starts at $38,350 GT1 starts at $43,250 GT2 starts at $49,200 All-wheel drive:  $2,200 Destination: $900 “The Stinger is a prime example of Kia’s commitment to surpassing consumers’ expectations in everything we do,” said Orth Hedrick, vice president of product planning, KMA. “Although the Stinger is unlike any other Kia that has come before it in terms of pure driving enjoyment, it is still very much a traditional Kia in that it offers consumers a very compelling value proposition, providing excellent performance and handling, premium features and functionality when compared to its much higher-priced competitors.”
      Designed in Frankfurt, developed on the Nürburgring, and built by the brand ranked highest by J.D. Power in initial quality3, the Stinger is offered with multiple engine and drivetrain configurations and luxurious accommodations. All Stingers come standard with a leather-appointed interior, though ultra-soft Nappa leather is available. A thick hand-stitched multifunction leather-wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters sits front and center of the driver, while the GT trim gets a flat-bottom steering wheel.  All Stingers are available with a large color TFT instrument cluster with performance gauges including a track timer, and in true gran turismo fashion, the Stinger has a generous 23.3 cu.-ft. of cargo space that can be accessed via a power liftgate with available Smart Trunk functionality.
      The base Stinger rides on a passive suspension tuned to offer a balance of handling and ride comfort, while the GT is available with Kia’s first electronically controlled Dynamic Stability Damping Control and standard high-performance Brembo®4 disc brakes. Two turbocharged engines are available: The base Stinger and Premium trims get a 2.0-liter twin-scroll turbocharged four-cylinder engine that produces 255 horsepower at 6,200 rpm with 260 lb.-ft. of maximum torque available from 1,400 – 4,000 rpm. Stingers wearing the GT moniker get a more powerful 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6 which produces 365 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and offers 376 lb.-ft. of torque from 1,300 – 4,500 rpm.  Both engines are matched to a second-generation eight-speed rear-drive automatic transmission. All-wheel drive also is available across all trims.
      Multiple Advance Driver Assistance systems work together to enhance the driving experience, including Driver Attention Warning (DAW)5, Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA)6 with pedestrian detection, Smart Cruise Control with Stop & Go (SCC w/ S&G)6, Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) 6, Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW) 6, and Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning (RCCW)6.  A height-adjustable color Head-Up Display (HUD)7 display is also available.
      The base audio system for the 2.0-liter turbo features six speakers and a seven-inch color touchscreen with the latest version of UVO, Kia’s award-winning telematics systems8. The standard system found in the GT trim ups the speaker count to nine and includes an external amplifier. A premium Harman/Kardon®9 audio system that features Clari-Fi™10 and next-generation QuantumLogic™11 Surround Sound technology is also available.
    • By William Maley
      The Toyota Prius V is an odd duck in the Prius family. The wagon/van shape offered buyers more space to carry stuff while returning high fuel economy numbers. But its run in the U.S. will be coming to a close at the end of this year.
      "After six years and nearly 160,000 units sold in the U.S., the decision was made to end Prius V production for the U.S. and Puerto Rico this December," said Toyota's East Coast communications manager Corey Proffitt to Green Car Reports.
      Proffitt went on to say the Prius V would continue to be sold in other markets around the world, but it is unclear whether Canada will be part of that or not.
      Declining sales is the key reason Toyota is pulling the Prius V out of the U.S.
      2011: 8,399 2012: 40,669 2013: 34,989 2014: 30,762 2015: 28,290 2016: 14,840 2017 (YTD): 8,299 The reason for the massive drop-off in 2016 is due to Toyota launching the RAV4 Hybrid with sales of 45,000 models. In 2017, Toyota has moved around 41,400 units.
      Source: Green Car Reports

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Toyota Prius V is an odd duck in the Prius family. The wagon/van shape offered buyers more space to carry stuff while returning high fuel economy numbers. But its run in the U.S. will be coming to a close at the end of this year.
      "After six years and nearly 160,000 units sold in the U.S., the decision was made to end Prius V production for the U.S. and Puerto Rico this December," said Toyota's East Coast communications manager Corey Proffitt to Green Car Reports.
      Proffitt went on to say the Prius V would continue to be sold in other markets around the world, but it is unclear whether Canada will be part of that or not.
      Declining sales is the key reason Toyota is pulling the Prius V out of the U.S.
      2011: 8,399 2012: 40,669 2013: 34,989 2014: 30,762 2015: 28,290 2016: 14,840 2017 (YTD): 8,299 The reason for the massive drop-off in 2016 is due to Toyota launching the RAV4 Hybrid with sales of 45,000 models. In 2017, Toyota has moved around 41,400 units.
      Source: Green Car Reports
    • By William Maley
      General Motors CEO Mary Barra spoke yesterday at the Barclays Global Automotive Conference in New York. During her talk, Barra said the company expects to make a profit off electric vehicles once they launch their next-generation EV platform.
      “We are working to provide desirable, obtainable and profitable vehicles that deliver a range of over 300 miles. There’s a lot of really creative things we’re doing to achieve that profitability point for that new platform,” Barra said to investors.
      The next-generation modular platform, due in 2021 will play a pivotal role in GM's plan to launch 20 all-new electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles by 2023. The platform will help drop the total per-unit cost by 30 percent or more. It will be used across a number of GM brands and various segments.
      GM is also working on a new battery system that will cut the per-kilowatt-hour from $145 to under $100 by 2021.
      Before these two launches, GM will be introducing four new EV and hydrogen vehicles. Two of those will be launch by April 2019 according to a GM spokesman. At least two vehicles will be small crossovers according to Automotive News. It is expected the electric models will use the underpinnings of the Chevrolet Bolt.
      The company has a set a goal of a million electric vehicles by 2026 - with most happening in China due to their strict production quotas for EVs. 
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), Reuters

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook