Jump to content
Drew Dowdell

Advertising Questionnaire

Recommended Posts

Two questions for the community - 

1. Would you like/not mind/dislike/hate an an article stream where I posted coupon codes and other automotive related deals? These would be targeted specials and C&G would get a kickback if you used the coupon code.  Those of you who are premium subscribers would still see the deals even though you are exempted from other advertising.

2. How would you feel about me installing an AdBlock detector?  I know many of you use Adblock, as does an increasing amount of our guest traffic. Our falling ad revenues reflect that (whitelist us maybe? I don't run intrusive ads).  If ads do bother you a lot,  would you consider purchasing a subscription.  If not, can you tell me why or what I can do to make the subscription better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) I am fine with that, very cool to get deals on Auto stuff.

2) Scince I pay to help support an awesome forum, this does not bother me. I hope you can find a good balance with making some money to support the site with ads. It should pay for itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely did not understand what was asked of us. So I edited my previous reply to this one.

Edited by oldshurst442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read the post too quickly as I had to leave the house and pick up my daughter from the bus stop so in haste I answered it all wrong as well...

But now that I know and understand what is asked of us...Ill answer the question properly.

1. Advertising dollars is needed to keep your website up and running and if you could turn that into a profit...even better. Is what I say.

Doing so in a manner that we, the users, could benefit, only makes our experience at CheersandGears a better place to be in.

Im all for coupon codes that I could use for deals. That is a cool and neat idea. I welcome that!

Like I said, if you could profit from that...AWESOME!!!

2. Adblocker detector for the users that use Adblock so they could benefit from coupon codes.

I personally dont use Adblocker as ads dont bother me. Even if I did use Adblocker, an Adblocker detector would not bother me.

Funny thing...Adblocker does bother me more than the ads do.

I could ignore ads...

I dont like giving permission to any entity to use my usage of my computer to do anything, including blocking ads.

An Adblocker detector just counters what I do with Adblock and both entities now have information of how I use the internet...

Its bad enough the internet has cookies to track the shyte I do on the internet...Adblocker and Adblocker detectors are now added to that list...

So...I dont stray too far off in internet land to have weird ass cookies on my computer therefore the ads that I see are just the common shyte everyone sees...

Yeah...like I have ever visited any site that leads me to see ads about Russian and Korean mail order brides...which I get from time to time...leading me to believe that the internet is such a piece of shyte place to be in sometimes. Depending where of course...

CheersandGears is cool.

So if you wanna make advertising dollars...I say..GO FOR IT!!!

If you wanna make us...the users...profit by it too...EVEN BETTER!!!

The Russian and Korean mail order bride ads are considered to be of the intrusive kind?

Yeah...I dont like those...but there is nothing we  could do about those...the internet is a lawless cesspool...

Like I said...those are generic that everybody gets to see...

If I let an entity like Adblocker in...I am just letting another gang of internet proprietors to use the info they have on me to sell to me in another way...or just to use my personal info somehow...in someway that only they could...hacking it seems could be done very easily...its just a hunch that I have...the hunch of not trusting ANYTHING on the web...

 

 

Edited by oldshurst442

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

 

The Russian and Korean mail order bride ads are considered to be of the intrusive kind?

Yeah...I dont like those...but there is nothing we  could do about those...the internet is a lawless cesspool...

 

Erm... those are based on your browsing history. :P

 

But thanks for your input on the rest.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Erm... those are based on your browsing history. :P

 

But thanks for your input on the rest.

Like I said...I dont stray too far off in internet land...

I doubt that my browsing history...or that of my wife's and kids...leads us to have mail order broads delivered to our doorstop...

 

No problem on the input!

I did get to rant too...which feels good to get of my chest sometimes...

So thank-you in return in being a psychiatrist to me. :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Like I said...I dont stray too far off in internet land...

I doubt that my browsing history...or that of my wife's and kids...leads us to have mail order broads delivered to our doorstop...

 

No problem on the input!

I did get to rant too...which feels good to get of my chest sometimes...

So thank-you in return in being a psychiatrist to me. :D

:o Your wife is looking for a Mail Order Bride? :P;) 

Guess 3's Company! :P 

Some of the ADs are freakin funny. Drew Code 84 is always there. :P

C&G-ADs.jpg

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind #1 at all. Sounds like it benefits both parties.

I'm only on the desktop version at work so ads are whatever to me. Honestly, do what you need to do here. As long as I don't get pop-ups, we're good! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I don't mind #1 at all. Sounds like it benefits both parties.

I'm only on the desktop version at work so ads are whatever to me. Honestly, do what you need to do here. As long as I don't get pop-ups, we're good! 

Yeah, except for one ad unit that I shut off last week that I need to replace and bring back, I don't intent to increase the overall number of ads on the site.  I may move them around a bit. I don't want to do pop-ups or page overs (the ones that take over the whole screen and you can't see anything). 

A friend of mine runs a very popular travel related website and a good 50% of his content is just the deals that he posts which he gets a kickback from.  Now, I don't see us getting anywhere near that level of deals vs. news, but he makes incredibly good money doing it Has a staff and a flat in Manhattan) ... so if I can just get to a fraction of what he's getting out of it, then I'd be more than happy. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah...just noticed this...:)

1- Deals are always good to a car guy. Besides, they might come in handy as I update my "beaters" (need lots of struts :lol:) Before I add another car/truck/Cuv to the fleet..

2- I could be fine with either.....I don't even think about my adblock when it comes to this site. Been making a big effort to be here more often (maybe even write a bit)

I've also made references to here for news from some other car sites I am on, to bring both traffic and maybe some more members here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ads don’t bother me I can just scroll past them.  If adding coupons helps make the site money I say do it.  What ever makes the site money I am fine with, as I frequent this automotive site more than any other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1-go for it

2-I don't have ad blocker and the ads now are fine. I have no problem doing a premium subscription either up to a moderate level. I forget how much that is now. 

I'm all for the site doing well financially. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1:  Seems fine, I support it and I will check them out, thank you.

2:  Also fine, although it doesn't pertain.  The subscription price is very reasonable for those who are on the fence about becoming a premium member.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm... well the yearly price is already cheap, maybe some folks don't know this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both ideas sound worthwhile.  I know of sites that have ad block detectors I will whitelist the site if it's content I really enjoy.  I don't mind paid subscriptions to good content; I do that already with the NY Times and Washington Post.   I think I have a paid subscription here, not sure..(is there a way to check your subscription status?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2017 at 4:24 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I read the post too quickly as I had to leave the house and pick up my daughter from the bus stop so in haste I answered it all wrong as well...

But now that I know and understand what is asked of us...Ill answer the question properly.

1. Advertising dollars is needed to keep your website up and running and if you could turn that into a profit...even better. Is what I say.

Doing so in a manner that we, the users, could benefit, only makes our experience at CheersandGears a better place to be in.

Im all for coupon codes that I could use for deals. That is a cool and neat idea. I welcome that!

Like I said, if you could profit from that...AWESOME!!!

2. Adblocker detector for the users that use Adblock so they could benefit from coupon codes.

I personally dont use Adblocker as ads dont bother me. Even if I did use Adblocker, an Adblocker detector would not bother me.

Funny thing...Adblocker does bother me more than the ads do.

I could ignore ads...

I dont like giving permission to any entity to use my usage of my computer to do anything, including blocking ads.

An Adblocker detector just counters what I do with Adblock and both entities now have information of how I use the internet...

Its bad enough the internet has cookies to track the shyte I do on the internet...Adblocker and Adblocker detectors are now added to that list...

So...I dont stray too far off in internet land to have weird ass cookies on my computer therefore the ads that I see are just the common shyte everyone sees...

Yeah...like I have ever visited any site that leads me to see ads about Russian and Korean mail order brides...which I get from time to time...leading me to believe that the internet is such a piece of shyte place to be in sometimes. Depending where of course...

CheersandGears is cool.

So if you wanna make advertising dollars...I say..GO FOR IT!!!

If you wanna make us...the users...profit by it too...EVEN BETTER!!!

The Russian and Korean mail order bride ads are considered to be of the intrusive kind?

Yeah...I dont like those...but there is nothing we  could do about those...the internet is a lawless cesspool...

Like I said...those are generic that everybody gets to see...

If I let an entity like Adblocker in...I am just letting another gang of internet proprietors to use the info they have on me to sell to me in another way...or just to use my personal info somehow...in someway that only they could...hacking it seems could be done very easily...its just a hunch that I have...the hunch of not trusting ANYTHING on the web...

 

 

 

 

 

Instead of taking the time to post a reply with my own thoughts, I will just quote oh442 here.  He puts it into words fairly well what I was thinking, except the really inane and useless stuff (I will leave it to the reader as to what that is... even though it is plainly obvious).

 

 

LMAO



A little ribbing and jesting...... oh442 should get why........ 

 

 

 

 

But truly, what is written is spot on to what my input would have been.

Edited by lengnert
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  didn't even know we were still doing subscription membership.  Whatever you want to do to keep the site afloat is fine by me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Both ideas sound worthwhile.  I know of sites that have ad block detectors I will whitelist the site if it's content I really enjoy.  I don't mind paid subscriptions to good content; I do that already with the NY Times and Washington Post.   I think I have a paid subscription here, not sure..(is there a way to check your subscription status?)

Your most recent premium subscription expired in 2015. If you have Premium Subscriber under you name instead of just Members. Then your subscription is active. Thank you for being a multi-year subscriber.

Anyone who wants up subscribe can click the store tab at the top of the page.

 

Thanks all for the feedback. I'll start some test deals posts this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

coupon codes would be great. 

in fact, i'd be okay seeing more sponsored content, where say, detailing products are reviewed and a kickback/coupon code is available if the product is liked.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×