Fiat Chrysler Automobiles was hoping to a make a splash next Monday with the debut of 2019 Ram 1500 at the Detroit Auto Show. But someone spoiled the surprise.

A user on Reddit posted a picture of a 2019 Ram 1500 inside a Fiat Chrysler plant - our hunch being the Warren, MI plant. The 3/4 shot gives us our best look at the truck and matches up with previous spy photos.

The most apparent change that will sway your decision to liking to disliking the truck is the new grille. Ram appears to be doing away with the crosshair grille that has been a design trademark since the 1994 model. Instead, there is a smaller, octagonal grille with 'RAM' nestled in the middle. We're expecting this will be one of many grille designs on offer.

Other details we can tell is the 1500 designation has moved from the doors on to the hood. The side profile looks similar to the current Ram 2500/3500 HD models.

Here is what else we know about the upcoming Ram 1500

• Engines to include a 3.6L V6, 5.7L HEMI V8, and 3.0L EcoDiesel V6
  • Aluminum hood and tailgate
  • Possibly a split tailgate
  • Newest version of FCA's UConnect

Source: Reddit
Pic Credit: Eisenj on Reddit

View full article

It looks okay I guess... but it doesn't look like an all new truck. It looks like just a nose job on the existing truck.   Remember when GM did that with the 2014 Silverado? It was all new, but most people thought it was just a refreshed 2013. 

• Agree 2

Hard to tell w/ the silver paint and angle, but the sides and greenhouse look much the same as the current model.   The wheel well arches may be slightly flattened on top..  the grille, bumper and headlights are the biggest noticeable differences.

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

Hope they keep the current DNA strong- don't need 'new for new's sake'. Just minor changes generation-generation.

I agree with this.  The current truck stills sells great even without the extra production capacity they need and will be adding.  it isn't like the F-150, Sierra,  or Silverado have changed all that much in the last few generations, at least on the outside.  If it works, why mess with it?

17 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It looks okay I guess... but it doesn't look like an all new truck. It looks like just a nose job on the existing truck.   Remember when GM did that with the 2014 Silverado? It was all new, but most people thought it was just a refreshed 2013. 

I don't think it actually hurt it's sales and I really liked the return to the nostalgic front end design with the split headlights. 

The angle and color makes it hard to tell, but what it appears, front end is of course all new.  Looks like they have toned down the big ri look a big with taller fenders.  The Hood area still offers the nod to that styling, but is a bit shorter.  I like the cowl induction looking element of the hood, the front fenders look to be slightly flaired out.  i am not sure about the big badge on the side of the hood, but sure it will grow on me.  The cab appears larger than the current quadcab.  the windshield rake is a bit faster while the rest appears a little more squared off.  The body lines or detailing, particularly towards the bottom adds some depth without going gaudy.  The rear bedsides definitely appear to be flared out more.  Like I said, hard to tell too much until we get the reveal.  I am really lookin forward to the New Rebel and hope they show it. 

I wonder if a wind tunnel had a lot of say in the new design. I personally think the 94 to 2002 were the best looking trucks they made. I didn't like the softer design that started in 03.  However it wasn't a complete departure from the big rig look, and though I didn't like it as much I did get used to it. Dodge was put back on the map in 94 because so many people loved the style. Unfortunately the new style is pretty much a complete departure from what so many loved. 

The primary thing I'm going to look at is what they did to the interior. As a work truck, the current interior is fine, but at the more lux levels it falls behind Ford and GM.  The F-150 limited has the nicest truck interior right now and it will be a tough one to beat. The Denali is good enough, but now a new one is one the way.

• Agree 1

Well darn it, just look at it.  It looks like Yoda.  I thought I was going to like this.

1980YodaEmpireStrikesBackLucasFilm.jpg

And the article states the crosshair grille has been around since 1994.  Wrong-o there, buckaroo.  It goes back MUCH further than that.

richsmith2.jpg

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, regfootball said:

Car and driver has a writeup and pics. Not bad but the grille is weak. The 'hybrid' setup is intriguing 

Interesting looking at what everyone is writing about the Ram lineup. Have to agree with you that the Grill is not a winner winner chicken dinner for me. In fact the black grill is a total bust for me as just terrible, Chrome just might be their best looking grill. The more I look at the pictures, I have to wonder due to the rather large LCD center screen and the excessive buttons, levers, dials if we have not hit a tipping point in going to far like Acura has done with way too much of both.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/news/2019-ram-1500-preview-article-1.3756898

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/15/2019-ram-1500-revealed-detroit-naias-hybrid-45834/

Autoblog has a really in depth pictures of the various interiors which look good and the new powertrains including the hybrid. Still way too many buttons. Interesting the up close pictures of the headlights with the degree of inner and outer rotation so that the beams follow your steering wheel. Maybe the patens are up on the Tucker designs and now the auto industry is using them all. Sad, they really screwed Tucker who was a visionary.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2018/01/15/2019-ram-1500-gets-standard-48v-mild-hybrid-on-all-gas-engines/#6db1e1bb7e9e

Forbes also seems to really dig into this story and seems positive about the new truck lineup.

It's going to be interesting to see the new trucks in person.   I definitely like the Ram the best of the big 3..the new Chevy front is too busy, as is the existing F-series.   Except for the bumper, the Ram is the cleanest overall, IMO.

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's going to be interesting to see the new trucks in person.   I definitely like the Ram the best of the big 3..the new Chevy front is too busy, as is the existing F-series.   Except for the bumper, the Ram is the cleanest overall, IMO.

unnamed.jpg

Agree, I do like the hide away pull down corner steps, this might even be better than the in bumper step of GM, though it does give another point that could catch on offroad and get torn off.

RamRearBumperStep.jpg

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

unnamed.jpg

The new Ram front end is definitely the antithesis of the current Ram and the new Chevy.  To me, this new front end could easily be mistaken for a Chevy or Ford as well as blending into the Jeeps adjacent to it on the dealer lot.

Not a bad thing really.  FCA is trying to unDodge the whole lineup and evidently that includes stripping Ram trucks of dodge signature cues.

The touchscreen and Uconnect in our new Pacifica is fabulous, the huge new screen in this truck i will say will be a big advantage in the market.  Will look way better than what GM and Ford will be putting in their trucks unless they upgrade.