GM News: Tripower Making A Comeback At GM

Tripower is one of General Motors' most revered names. Used on Pontiac V8 engines from 1957-1966, Tripower referred to the use of three two-barrel carburetors on top of the engine. GM is bringing back the name for the next-generation Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. But in this case, Tripower carries a very different meaning.

At the CAR Management Briefing Seminars yesterday, Mike Anderson, GM's executive director of global transmission and electrification hardware engineering said Tripower will now "refer to a suite of technologies that boosts horsepower and fuel economy" for the new 2.7L turbo-four. According to Automotive News, Tripower will include cylinder deactivation, intake valve lift control, and active thermal management.

The new engine is expected launch sometime after the new trucks begin arriving at dealers this fall.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

Wonder if they are using GORE Insulation to deal with the Thermal management.

We are at Dell. Watch at 1:48 if you want to see the thermal capabilities of Gore Insulation.

35 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What does thermal management really get them in terms of power or fuel economy though?

I was also wondering this and as I looked around found the following info to be informative:

https://www.jcmmachineandcoatings.com/thermal-management/

Thermal management, as it applies to an internal combustion engine, is the idea of controlling heat and friction in order to attain the maximum performance, fuel economy, and longevity through the use of ceramic coatings. This is done through the use of thermal barriers, thermal dispersants, and dry film lubricants. Each of these categories is explained in detail in their corresponding pages.

To fully understand the idea of thermal management, you must have an understanding of the first two laws of thermodynamics, they are as follows:

1st law - The law of conservation of matter and energy - Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed. For example when you burn a piece of paper, it is not gone; it has changed into ash and smoke.

2nd law - This law states that heat has direction, it moves from an area of a large amount of heat to an area of a low amount of heat in order to achieve thermal equilibrium. Just as a hot cup of coffee cools off, the high amount of heat in the coffee is released into the surrounding atmosphere. Another example is an ice cube melting; in this case the heat in the atmosphere is absorbed by the ice and cool water to become the same temperature as the surrounding air.

Good Read as presented on this subject from Clemson University.

Advanced Thermal Management for Internal Combustion Engines.pdf

SAE has a document they sell on this exact subject for maximizing engine performance.

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2006-01-1232/

Advanced Thermal Management for Internal Combustion Engines - Valve Design, Component Testing and Block Redesign

Advanced engine cooling systems can enhance the combustion environment, increase fuel efficiency, and reduce tailpipe emissions with less parasitic engine load. The introduction of computer controlled electro-mechanical valves, radiator fans, and coolant pumps require mathematic models and real time algorithms to implement intelligent thermal control strategies for prescribed engine temperature tracking. Smart butterfly valves can replace the traditional wax-based thermostat to control the coolant flow based on both engine temperature and operating conditions. The electric water pump and radiator fan replace the mechanically driven components to reduce unnecessary engine loads at high speeds and provide better cooling at low speeds. However, implementation of electro-mechanical actuators including the alternator and electrical storage devices introduces inefficiencies in mechanical to electrical energy conversion (and electrical to mechanical energy conversion), which may require increased fuel consumption over pure mechanical components. Empirical models can provide realistic component data used in simulation tools during the development process, and also define the basis for cooling system control algorithms. In this paper, a general framework to derive these empirical models is investigated for thermal management systems where the engine temperature must be accurately controlled in both steady state and transient operation. The evolution of automotive cooling systems also requires a paradigm shift in the engine block design. The design changes include isolated cylinder water jackets, temperature sensor arrays, and distributed smart valves to enable distinct cylinder-by-cylinder temperature maintenance for optimum combustion. This paper explores the introduction of a ‘coolant rail’ to accommodate specific cylinder temperature control defined by an on-demand cylinder dependent cooling strategy.

WOW, 🤔 SAE even has a paper on Modeling of an Electric Thermal Management system

https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/63419.pdf

Very interesting info on thermal management fluid loops for EV auto's batteries, cooling and heating systems.

• Like 1

Really liked this one covering Thermal Dynamics in using waste heat from the engine to reduce fuel consumption by 4% and controlling oil temperature.

https://www.asme.org/engineering-topics/articles/automotive/using-waste-engine-heat-in-automobile-engines

WOW @Drew Dowdell I always find new and interesting things when questions like yours are asked. :D 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I just threw up in a mouth a little there.

🤔 By the over kill of info, the questions about Thermal Management, bringing back the name badge TriPower...........

Considering it's been over 50 years since the name was last used, Pontiac has been gone about a decade, and carbs have been gone for a couple decades, makes sense to repurpose the trademark..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Except for '03-04, "Mach 1" hasn't been used since 1978, but didn't you call using that name on a future SUV a "dreadful idea"?

Yes, but that was a specific trim level, while TriPower was an engine feature option.  Sounds like the new use is going to be for an engine/powertrain feature also. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Buick needs some retro naming also... maybe 'Dynaflow' for a electric CVT or something.   They tried 'Super' a decade ago, didn't seem to take.... and they really can't use 'Limited' again, since other brands use it now (Ford, Ram, Jeep, etc), so 'Avenir' instead.. 

15 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Considering it's been over 50 years since the name was last used, Pontiac has been gone about a decade, and carbs have been gone for a couple decades, makes sense to repurpose the trademark..

It makes sense to use it but I think it should have been something like a hybrid and twin turbo setup or something like Volvo's supercharged and(in this case) twin turbo. Or maybe hybrid, supercharged, and turbocharged. 

I think these three "powers" are terrible use of the trademark. 

12 hours ago, regfootball said:

i would think the regurge 'Tri-Power' it would be turbo + supercharger + electric motor assist

Exactly my thinking. 

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Buick needs some retro naming also... maybe 'Dynaflow' for a electric CVT or something.   They tried 'Super' a decade ago, didn't seem to take.... and they really can't use 'Limited' again, since other brands use it now (Ford, Ram, Jeep, etc), so 'Avenir' instead.. 

A decade ago they were tacky badge-job vehicles. They've distinguished themselves much better now. 

28 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It makes sense to use it but I think it should have been something like a hybrid and twin turbo setup or something like Volvo's supercharged and(in this case) twin turbo. Or maybe hybrid, supercharged, and turbocharged. 

I think these three "powers" are terrible use of the trademark.

Yep.

8 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I think GM is just waiting for the first EV for Buick and then the Electra will live again.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Not the first- maybe the 4th-ish... but at least one of those I recall was for the same suggestion.

Just as the whole achingly kindergarden-esque dumbing down of auto names... this is yet another slam-dunk, whoo-hoo; lookie what I came up with, lowest common denominator, easy way out pillaging of other people's work with no regard for historical context.

Call it the 'oHm' instead. Your welcome.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, balthazar said:

Not the first- maybe the 4th-ish... but at least one of those I recall was for the same suggestion.

Just as the whole achingly kindergarden-esque dumbing down of auto names... this is yet another slam-dunk, whoo-hoo; lookie what I came up with, lowest common denominator, easy way out pillaging of other people's work with no regard for historical context.

I totally get what your saying but you know the LAZY Marketing dweebs are going to use it. We ALL have been disappointed with GM's marketing and creation of auto names. They have had some of the best concepts with names that I consider to be awesome and not really used any of it. Latest Cadillac concepts come to mind.

4th-ish, wow, guess I missed the first 3 :P  

Thank you for your honesty :) 

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

You can't say that without knowing the vehicle it went on.  Suppose Buick continued to move up market and did a CT6 sized car on Omega, overtop of Lacrosse, but made it PHEV or EV only.  Wouldn't that make for a great Electra?

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Only if said full-size Buick luxury sedan offered optional unicorn fur upholstery.

We both know such a car has zero chance of appearing.

Fine, make it an extended length Enclave. The Enclave Avenir is the modern interpretation of a Park Ave Ultra or Roadmaster Estate Limited anyway. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Fine, then call it what it is. An Enclave (    ) whatever.
Just leave 'Electra' to RIP.

Not having ever been in a Buick Electra or any real knowledge of why it was called an Electra, I honestly see nothing wrong with using that name on a Buick Sedan that has an Electric power train. Might as well get some more miles out of using the proper name on a proper Buick EV.

I have to honestly say I think this is a really messed up wiki page as they say Buick had an Electra model from 1959 to 1990. Yet what they show as Electra station wagons, sedans, coupes etc. I never heard them called that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Electra

electra park avenue

electra estate wagon

😕

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Not having ever been in a Buick Electra or any real knowledge of why it was called an Electra, I honestly see nothing wrong with using that name on a Buick Sedan that has an Electric power train. Might as well get some more miles out of using the proper name on a proper Buick EV.

It was named after the first large U.S. turboprop airliner, the Lockheed Electra.

I just feel its blatantly SIMPLISTIC and OBVIOUS, which makes me cringe until my shoulders drive into my ears.

NOT TO MENTION - we'll have to read dozens of quik-notes / armchair mini history lessons and knee-slapping cornball jokes about how the new Buck EV 'Ain't yer grandpop's Electra' and 'it's no longer 41 feet long- yuck yuck!' I can see it coming like an F5 tornado on the high Kansas plains and it's all so utterly EXHAUSTING.

Spend a little time/effort, and come up with something else- I know it's hard, I know most of the good ones are taken, but shit- we got 'Volt' & 'Bolt' in only the last few years!

If the car was akin to the Electra of yore, I'd be much better with it. But it won't be close and the slop-journalism of today will fall in the same groundhog hole of hyperbole they always do.

I have to honestly say I think this is a really messed up wiki page as they say Buick had an Electra model from 1959 to 1990. Yet what they show as Electra station wagons, sedans, coupes etc. I never heard them called that.

Pretty sure that's all correct info- skimmed it and saw nothing radically amiss.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, balthazar said:

It was named after the first large U.S. turboprop airliner, the Lockheed Electra.

I just feel its blatantly SIMPLISTIC and OBVIOUS, which makes me cringe until my shoulders drive into my ears.

NOT TO MENTION - we'll have to read dozens of quik-notes / armchair mini history lessons and knee-slapping cornball jokes about how the new Buck EV 'Ain't yer grandpop's Electra' and 'it's no longer 41 feet long- yuck yuck!' I can see it coming like an F5 tornado on the high Kansas plains and it's all so utterly EXHAUSTING.

Spend a little time/effort, and come up with something else- I know it's hard, I know most of the good ones are taken, but shit- we got 'Volt' & 'Bolt' in only the last few years!

If the car was akin to the Electra of yore, I'd be much better with it. But it won't be close and the slop-journalism of today will fall in the same groundhog hole of hyperbole they always do.

Pretty sure that's all correct info- skimmed it and saw nothing radically amiss.

Appreciate your input and comments on the wiki page. 

😮 WOW, guess the electra of the 70's, 80's and 1990 model never really sold here since I in looking at the pictures can say I never really saw them,  missed a series of an auto line. wow.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:49 PM, Suaviloquent said:

Hey man bring back all those retro names, to relive the greatest of the past.

To make Tripower great again.

To make Blazer great again.

To make Mach 1 great again.

To make Lincoln great again.

To make history great again. 

To make great again, great, again.

Your hope has been acknowledged.  Watch for a change soon.  Wait for it.  Keep waiting...

11 hours ago, dfelt said:

Appreciate your input and comments on the wiki page. 

😮 WOW, guess the electra of the 70's, 80's and 1990 model never really sold here since I in looking at the pictures can say I never really saw them,  missed a series of an auto line. wow.

This clearly illuminates my point.  Astonishing.

• Haha 1