Sign in to follow this  
Bimmer325

Mitsubishi could withdraw from U.S.

59 posts in this topic

Mitsubishi could withdraw from U.S.

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/06/02/mit...thdraw-from-us/

Mitsubishi product strategist Shinichi Kurihara at press event in Japan last week that if the automaker’s newest vehicles don’t sell well in the United States, the automaker might not be able to stay in the country. Kurihara said the vehicles like the Outlander, Lancer, and Eclipse have to “be successful for us to stay in business in the U.S.” In recent years, Mitsubishi has seen sales and revenue fall considerably.

Posted Image

Meh... I could care less. Sure, the EVO was pretty cool, but we couldn't even get it in Canada, and I hated their inflated and overpriced Eclipse.

I wonder if Chrysler would make an "Eagle" or similar subbrand to sell the Mitsu's under?

Bye Mitsubishi!

The Evo was a good car, but it was still based off of a freaking FWD worst-safety-rated ugly lancer. It was no better than a suped up Civic, and a 4 door Civic at that. Long live the STI, despite your new ugly Alfa Romeo nose!

We'll all have our own fond memories of Mitsubishi. My favorite models were their 61" plasma TV and the A6M Zero fighter.

Don't they also make cars of some sort??????

But... Mitsubishi has 'Japanese Quality' and 'Japanese Reliability' along with no Legacy costs like GM!! How could this happen!?!? :o

Good riddance. Posted Image

Oh no! I hope I can still get parts for my Tredia and Starion.

I hope it doesn't happen. Mitsubishi makes some good cars, and the Outlander is hot. But I love the Eclipse.

I think Mitsu realizes they need to put up or shut up and that's one of the reasons why the new Outlander is packed with features.

Big barbeque at my house when the official announcement is released!!

Is it a BBQ or a BBBQ?

I like the WRX because it's a great car inside and out.

It has REAR-biased AWD and a boxer motor. It's

different and intriguing.

THe Lancer EVO is a dressed up FWD $h!box. You can't

polish a turd. The last Mitsubishi I realy liked was the

1995 - 99 Eclipse and even that was F-W-biased in its

AWD guise.

I'd love to own a Starion, it's probably the only

MItshibishi I really like although I'd much prefer the

Plymouth Conquest. As a dumb kid in the early 90s I

had a few hot Mitsubishis hung up on my wall but

now even the 3000GT is lame to me.

I'll bring a 24 case of Heiniken or Sam Adams.

What kind of chips you like? BBQ, Sour Cream & Onion or Salt & Vinegar?

I'll bring the Kool-Aid!!!!1 :o<_<

Anyway, I'm with Croc. If Mitsu can produce something as competitive and feature-laden as the upcoming next-gen Outlander in their current state, I'm curious to see what lies ahead.

They've taken risks with new product like the Eclipse while everyone else is playing it safe...and if the Concept X truly is a preview of their future design direction (Lancer, anyone?), then I'd rather they stick around.

Everyone is constantly complaining about how bland and boring Japanese brands are. Mitsubishi promises to break that trend within the next few years, so I'm not sure where the animosity is coming from.

Bimmer:

I would rather drink :gm_logo: Kool-Aid than eat plain white RICE! :pokeowned:

Edited by Sixty8panther

If you believe buyers are avoiding GM because of probable bankruptcy (yet would remain in business), do you believe buyers will risk purchasing a competitive crossover knowing there could be no dealerships left to service them (along with no resale value) if Mitsubishi backs out of the US?

I think the public will play it safe and buy a Toyota RAV4 or Saturn VUE (or the upcoming 2008/9 VUE).

Anyways, correct me if I’m wrong, but won’t the new Outlander only have 220hp? And its so-called 'third row' looks very cheap… especially with those goofy headrests:

Posted Image

if tons of people(thinking about getting a mitsu) knew about this, prolly would scare them away,

when any competition leaves here, the other companies have to soak up those sales. and if they were looking at mitsu's, most prolly wouldn't look at gm,

only thing i kinda liked about mitsu was their interesting MIVEC engines...

anyway....

Guest YellowJacket894

Looks like a giant rabbit.

What I don't get is why doesn't Mitsu use the Lancer platform for the Eclipse and instead choose to make it big, thirsty, and related to an SUV (Endeavor) by using the Gallant's underpinnings.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I'll bring the Kool-Aid!!!!1 :o  <_< 

Anyway, I'm with Croc.  If Mitsu can produce something as competitive and feature-laden as the upcoming next-gen Outlander in their current state, I'm curious to see what lies ahead. 

They've taken risks with new product like the Eclipse while everyone else is playing it safe...and if the Concept X truly is a preview of their future design direction (Lancer, anyone?), then I'd rather they stick around. 

Everyone is constantly complaining about how bland and boring Japanese brands are.  Mitsubishi promises to break that trend within the next few years, so I'm not sure where the animosity is coming from.

not sure either. my diamantes were trouble free, but dull, just like a Camlee. the endeavors and galants i had as loaners were very sporty and fun to drive. The Galants and Endeavors have been very trouble free.

I'd rather see them stay than Kia or even Suzuki. If any Asian maker would leave here I wish it be toyota and Hyundai.

Oh wait, Toyota is American. Sorry for the freudian slip.

Mitsubishi's problems have all been marketing and feature content related. It started with the free credit thing and then it morphed into them being horrible at figuring out how to proerly equip and price and market trim packages in addition to some styling and interior material quality gaffes.

In a lot of ways their decline parallels some of the things GM has had as a strike against them.

In order for Mitsubishi to ever gain ground back, it has to start with a competitive Lancer, and fixing the Galants problems. They should still push the Evo and maybe get a Turbo Eclsipse going again. The Outlander, of all things, could save Mitusbishi yet.

Mitsu's beggest problem is not forming a stable global ally partner. If they had one, they could weather the storm. Hate to say it, but they are kind of SOL now.

Edited by regfootball