Mitsubishi could withdraw from U.S.

Mitsubishi could withdraw from U.S.

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/06/02/mit...thdraw-from-us/

Mitsubishi product strategist Shinichi Kurihara at press event in Japan last week that if the automaker’s newest vehicles don’t sell well in the United States, the automaker might not be able to stay in the country. Kurihara said the vehicles like the Outlander, Lancer, and Eclipse have to “be successful for us to stay in business in the U.S.” In recent years, Mitsubishi has seen sales and revenue fall considerably.

Posted Image

Meh... I could care less. Sure, the EVO was pretty cool, but we couldn't even get it in Canada, and I hated their inflated and overpriced Eclipse.

I wonder if Chrysler would make an "Eagle" or similar subbrand to sell the Mitsu's under?

Bye Mitsubishi!

The Evo was a good car, but it was still based off of a freaking FWD worst-safety-rated ugly lancer. It was no better than a suped up Civic, and a 4 door Civic at that. Long live the STI, despite your new ugly Alfa Romeo nose!

I like the WRX because it's a great car inside and out.

It has REAR-biased AWD and a boxer motor. It's

different and intriguing.

THe Lancer EVO is a dressed up FWD $h!box. You can't

polish a turd. The last Mitsubishi I realy liked was the

1995 - 99 Eclipse and even that was F-W-biased in its

AWD guise.

I'd love to own a Starion, it's probably the only

MItshibishi I really like although I'd much prefer the

Plymouth Conquest. As a dumb kid in the early 90s I

had a few hot Mitsubishis hung up on my wall but

now even the 3000GT is lame to me.

Big barbeque at my house when the official announcement is released!!

I'll bring a 24 case of Heiniken or Sam Adams.

What kind of chips you like? BBQ, Sour Cream & Onion or Salt & Vinegar?

Big barbeque at my house when the official announcement is released!!

I'll bring the Kool-Aid!!!!1 :o<_<

Anyway, I'm with Croc. If Mitsu can produce something as competitive and feature-laden as the upcoming next-gen Outlander in their current state, I'm curious to see what lies ahead.

They've taken risks with new product like the Eclipse while everyone else is playing it safe...and if the Concept X truly is a preview of their future design direction (Lancer, anyone?), then I'd rather they stick around.

Everyone is constantly complaining about how bland and boring Japanese brands are. Mitsubishi promises to break that trend within the next few years, so I'm not sure where the animosity is coming from.

Bimmer:

I would rather drink :gm_logo: Kool-Aid than eat plain white RICE! :pokeowned:

Edited by Sixty8panther

If you believe buyers are avoiding GM because of probable bankruptcy (yet would remain in business), do you believe buyers will risk purchasing a competitive crossover knowing there could be no dealerships left to service them (along with no resale value) if Mitsubishi backs out of the US?

I think the public will play it safe and buy a Toyota RAV4 or Saturn VUE (or the upcoming 2008/9 VUE).

Anyways, correct me if I’m wrong, but won’t the new Outlander only have 220hp? And its so-called 'third row' looks very cheap… especially with those goofy headrests:

Posted Image

if tons of people(thinking about getting a mitsu) knew about this, prolly would scare them away,

when any competition leaves here, the other companies have to soak up those sales. and if they were looking at mitsu's, most prolly wouldn't look at gm,

only thing i kinda liked about mitsu was their interesting MIVEC engines...

anyway....

Guest YellowJacket894

Looks like a giant rabbit.

What I don't get is why doesn't Mitsu use the Lancer platform for the Eclipse and instead choose to make it big, thirsty, and related to an SUV (Endeavor) by using the Gallant's underpinnings.

Edited by YellowJacket894

I'll bring the Kool-Aid!!!!1 :o  <_< 

Anyway, I'm with Croc.  If Mitsu can produce something as competitive and feature-laden as the upcoming next-gen Outlander in their current state, I'm curious to see what lies ahead. 

They've taken risks with new product like the Eclipse while everyone else is playing it safe...and if the Concept X truly is a preview of their future design direction (Lancer, anyone?), then I'd rather they stick around. 

Everyone is constantly complaining about how bland and boring Japanese brands are.  Mitsubishi promises to break that trend within the next few years, so I'm not sure where the animosity is coming from.

not sure either. my diamantes were trouble free, but dull, just like a Camlee. the endeavors and galants i had as loaners were very sporty and fun to drive. The Galants and Endeavors have been very trouble free.

I'd rather see them stay than Kia or even Suzuki. If any Asian maker would leave here I wish it be toyota and Hyundai.

Oh wait, Toyota is American. Sorry for the freudian slip.

Mitsubishi's problems have all been marketing and feature content related. It started with the free credit thing and then it morphed into them being horrible at figuring out how to proerly equip and price and market trim packages in addition to some styling and interior material quality gaffes.

In a lot of ways their decline parallels some of the things GM has had as a strike against them.

In order for Mitsubishi to ever gain ground back, it has to start with a competitive Lancer, and fixing the Galants problems. They should still push the Evo and maybe get a Turbo Eclsipse going again. The Outlander, of all things, could save Mitusbishi yet.

Mitsu's beggest problem is not forming a stable global ally partner. If they had one, they could weather the storm. Hate to say it, but they are kind of SOL now.

Edited by regfootball

They dumbed down the cars too much. Mitsubishis here are nothing compared to the ones overseas.

They're finally sending the ones from overseas... the Outlander and upcoming Lancer.

The "Project USA" ones made in Normal, IL (or is it IN?) are fat, cheapy made, and crude looking. They have good bones and would do wonders with some finishing work. A Galant with the Taiwanese Grunder's interior would be nice, for instance.

Don't forget: the one BIG, HUGE OTHER thing in mitsu's basket is the 25-year cover-up of defects and quality problems and the multiple, subsequent lies about it afterwards. That was the torpedo thru the main bulkhead that led directly to it's sinking.

Love the WWII annalogy.

So in other words Mitsubishi will be selling a big fat ZERO in the USA soon.

Don't forget: the one BIG, HUGE OTHER thing in mitsu's basket is the 25-year cover-up of defects and quality problems and the multiple, subsequent lies about it afterwards. That was the torpedo thru the main bulkhead that led directly to it's sinking.

in other markets

If you believe buyers are avoiding GM because of probable bankruptcy (yet would remain in business), do you believe buyers will risk purchasing a competitive crossover knowing there could be no dealerships left to service them (along with no resale value) if Mitsubishi backs out of the US?

I think the public will play it safe and buy a Toyota RAV4 or Saturn VUE (or the upcoming 2008/9 VUE). 

Anyways, correct me if I’m wrong, but won’t the new Outlander only have 220hp? And its so-called 'third row' looks very cheap… especially with those goofy headrests:

Posted Image

How Mitsu got in its current position.

Posted Image

I love how Mitsubishi has gone to some great lengths to destroy the hearing of it's customers and their friends and family.

Notice the Subwooofer placed at the right, at a perfect angle to make your young'uns ears bleed!

Ditto for the stupid subwoofer in the Eclipse, which is mounted in the seat, so not only will you crusie in "style" but you can also shatter your "homies'" skulls at the same time!

How Mitsu got in its current position.

Posted Image

GM has done plenty of the ugly donut headrests also. on like 10 different cars.

at least these mitsubishi ones, you turn the seat over and can use it as a massage table and put your head facing into the donut. :stupid:

Edited by regfootball

As i like to vote for the underdog, I wish them the best....but the Eclipse is nasty now, Galant has no place, along with the rest of thier lineup except Evo. I don't beleive Mitsu has a place, and haven't for some time.

GM's halo headrests have some semblance of normality. Those in the new Outlander look like something Dr. Mengele would've used.

i dunno, the ones GM used in the Pontiacs, Buicks, Impalas, all nasty. It looked like some enlarged birth control device sitting on a couple chrome rods. The GP, Bonne, regal, Impala, all had em and they were the absolute epitome of cheap.

the mits do look very POKEMON

i dunno, the ones GM used in the Pontiacs, Buicks, Impalas, all nasty.  It looked like some enlarged birth control device sitting on a couple chrome rods. 

the mits do look very POKEMON

Enlarged? It looks about normal sized to me.....

Volkswagen lost $1.6 billion in the U.S. last year, and that's a lot on a per car basis. There's also talk of them pulling out of the U.S. or drastically scaling back their sales.

There's a glut of too many cars being sold in America. Too many brands, especially far too many import brands. There's talk of Fiat, Alfa Romeo, and Renault wanting to come to America. And upstart Chinese and Indian brands will probably be entering sometime next decade. Something has to give!

How are there too many import brands? There are only 2 mainstream U.S. brands, GM and Ford. Why? Because it takes a &#036;h&#33; load of money and power to start up a car company in the U.S. People want cars and not everyone wants to drive the same thing.

Agree wholeheartedly with the above:

More choices mean more good choices. Mediocrre could be the death knell for Mitsu...& I say this as someone who works for one of their franchisees...The new Lancer/Evo & Outlander have an outside shot of saving the day. The worst thing that happened to Mitsu was needing to fill the Normal plant with capacity. It resulted in spawning 3 eh products: Eclipse, Endeavor & Galant...

I can tell you that locally, Mitsu's problems are amplified by their location in a tiny old building that's shared with Suzuki.  It's barely noticable, and not very attractive if you do happen to notice it.

Well, I don't know if you are talking about Japan, but in the U.S., Mitsubishi's headquarters is in Cypress, CA. and Suzuki's is in Brea, CA. both in Orange County.

Neither location is tiny and neither are they old...

???

Agree wholeheartedly with the above:

More choices mean more good choices. Mediocrre could be the death knell for Mitsu...& I say this as someone who works for one of their franchisees...The new Lancer/Evo & Outlander have an outside shot of saving the day. The worst thing that happened to Mitsu was needing to fill the Normal plant with capacity. It resulted in spawning 3 eh products: Eclipse, Endeavor & Galant...

I sure hope the Lancer is more mainstream than the Civic. The new Civic is a huge turnoff to anyone besides pimple face tuners.

The Lancer if its nice enough could occupy some of the Civic's prior savvy Japanese car base (fans who like Accords but smaller) and grow a bit more sales. the basic Impreza never seems to be mainstream enough and and the Mazda 3 is far to hip now. The Corolla has gone into barf / geriatric territory. The Yaris won't reach the fan base to get those people. The new Sentra has a chance of being the star of the Asian compact class with most mainstreamers, but it could just as easily polarize like the Quest did.