Toyota News: Toyota Yaris Bids Farewell To U.S. After 2020

The Toyota Yaris and Yaris Hatchback will be no more in the U.S. come the end of June. That's according to a leaked memo posted to Reddit and found by CarBuzz. Sent to "All Southeast Toyota Dealers and General Managers" by Toyota, the memo says the Yaris will "cease production" at the end of June.

"The Yaris sedan and Yaris Hatchback will not be available for model year 2021. Model year 2020 will be the last year for Yaris. June 2020 will be the last month of production for the Yaris sedan and Yaris Hatchback for the US," wrote Christine N. Henley, Toyota North America's Western Communications Manager in the memo.

Toyota confirmed the memo, and gave Car and Driver this statement;

"The entry-subcompact segment has new regulations that require additional homologation. Those regulations, coupled with declining sales in the segment, are some of the reasons behind the decision."

(Author's Note: We're wondering what Toyota means by the statement we bolded here, and we'll update if we get some sort of clarification. -WM).

The declining sales makes sense as Toyota only moved 21,917 Yaris models in 2019, down 5,293 units when compared to 2018. To give more perspective, the Corolla moved 304,850 units last year.

So if you're interested an affordable Toyota, we would hurry down to your nearest dealer ASAP.

Source: CarBuzz, Car and Driver

View full article

Weird, I would love to know what they mean by new regulations as like many I have not seen any new regulations about the subcompact market.

I think due to the price difference, most people can easily justify the extra couple dollars a month for the bigger Corolla over the Yaris.

I do think due to the safety equipment required on all auto's, it makes less sense in the US and Europe where this safety gear is required to build subcompact auto's or smaller.

I would not be surprised to see old horse and buggy type streets become pedestrian / bike only roads in the future. Here in  Seattle they have changed the few remaining old roads like this to just pedestrian / Bike roads only and we have been told they will not go back to allowing auto's of any size on them.

Yaris was an Fugly subcompact that to me failed in way too many ways. Makes sense to kill it off.

Yaris sales fell off a cliff, compared to Corolla and especially the RAV-4 and the CH-R.  Nobody buys new subcompact cars because they can buy a used compact for the same price.  I doubt there will be any subcompacts in the US market after a couple of years.  NOBODY will miss the Yaris at all.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, loki said:

is the "mazda 2" still to be sold?

Well Mazda hasn't sold the 2 in the US for several years, it didn't survive the model changeover.  I am sure the 2 will still be sold worldwide.

Yaris is a well known Toyota nameplate in Europe.  For their purposes - compactness, efficiency, economy - they seem to work.  They were really ugly when they got introduced to the U.S.  They've become less so over the years.  However, they're on their way out.

3 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Yaris is a well known Toyota nameplate in Europe.  For their purposes - compactness, efficiency, economy - they seem to work.  They were really ugly when they got introduced to the U.S.  They've become less so over the years.  However, they're on their way out.

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The most recent US-market Yaris was a rebadged Mazda 2, probably drove better than previous Yarii. 

I honestly have not seen a Yaris on the road in a long time (like, several years).  Too many RAV-4s and CR-Vs instead.  Only in the USA is a subcompact treated as a penalty box, especially in light of the used car market.  Nobody wants a subcompact car. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

I honestly have not seen a Yaris on the road in a long time (like, several years).  Too many RAV-4s and CR-Vs instead.  Only in the USA is a subcompact treated as a penalty box, especially in light of the used car market.  Nobody wants a subcompact car. 

The problem in the US is subcompacts tend to be cheap, nasty and vile inside--gray plastic, and noisy, slow and unpleasant to drive.  A larger used car at the same price is always a better buy, IMO.  

The only ones I can think of on the market that have nice interiors and might be pleasant to drive are the Mini and Fiat 500, but they have a lot of other quality/reliability issues. 

30 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

The problem in the US is subcompacts tend to be cheap, nasty and vile inside--gray plastic, and noisy, slow and unpleasant to drive.  A larger used car at the same price is always a better buy, IMO.  

The only ones I can think of on the market that have nice interiors and might be pleasant to drive are the Mini and Fiat 500, but they have a lot of other quality/reliability issues. 

Might is the key and so far the Fiat's that new out of college coworkers bought, they quickly traded in within the same year of buying as the interiors sucked due to cheapness and quality problems. Mini, has a fan base, but unless your part of that hard core fan base, they really are over rated attempts by BMW to sell a cheap subcompact at luxury prices with nothing but garbage interiors to small people. The Seattle area has seen the independent Mini dealers all go away as they were sold and merged into the BMW dealerships and are now just a side foot note for that small crowd of people who have European Fantasy about their summer trip with a rental Mini in Europe.

Honestly, I think Mini as well as Fiat will be gone by 2030 if not 2025 in the US.

• Agree 1

The Fiesta ST is supposed to drive quite nicely from what I've read..  this trim looks decent..though regular Fiestas seem to be the usual subcompact gray plastic despair hell inside.   I really don't like small cars, but this looks like it could be fun..manual, zippy.

2019-ford-fiesta-st-infotainment-system-carbuzz-473189.jpg

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

There is actually a Yaris Crossover coming, I forgot I had scene a picture of it.  It would slot below the CH-R I think.  So Toyota will have:

Yaris Cross

CH-R

Rav4

Venza

Highlander

4Runner

Sequoia

Land Cruiser

8 SUVs and they aren’t even into crossover coupes yet.

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

The Fiesta ST is supposed to drive quite nicely from what I've read..  this trim looks decent..though regular Fiestas seem to be the usual subcompact gray plastic despair hell inside.   I really don't like small cars, but this looks like it could be fun..manual, zippy.

2019-ford-fiesta-st-infotainment-system-carbuzz-473189.jpg

That's the old Fiesta

13 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

There is actually a Yaris Crossover coming, I forgot I had scene a picture of it.  It would slot below the CH-R I think.  So Toyota will have:

Yaris Cross

CH-R

Rav4

Venza

Highlander

4Runner

Sequoia

Land Cruiser

8 SUVs and they aren’t even into crossover coupes yet.

So a Movie Scene is where you saw this Yaris? 🤔

19 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

2019 US spec.  The US never got the 'new' Fiesta.

The new one is really nice.  Would love to have a 3-door ST if I could simultaneously keep my truck.

Edited by ocnblu
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

You know what *brainstorm* maybe the Yaris is leaving, but the Yaris Cross is replacing it in the USA!

That Yaris Cross here in this market makes a lot more sense than the current Yaris.  Arguably for the same reason Ford and GM have largely abandoned cars for CUVs and SUVs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Toyota should bring out the Eco Cross Sport, which would be a 2 door version of the Yaris Cross with a center mounted speedometer.  And then the Solara CC (convertible crossover).  

Toyota Echo rather.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 10:00 PM, Robert Hall said:

Supposedly not coming here, but I’ve read that Toyota is adding another CUV for the US of similar size to the C-HR

Sounds like we may get the Corolla Cross. 

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/07/09/toyota-corolla-cross/

2021_toyota_corolla_cross_0031.jpg

• Like 1

100% need a Corolla Cross and a Camry Cross, and a Sienna Cross Coupe.  If they had a crossover coupe van with a fastback roofline, they could sell them out at $80k per unit.  They should do a Supra Cross too, there are a lack of 2-seat SUVs on market right now.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

100% need a Corolla Cross and a Camry Cross, and a Sienna Cross Coupe.  If they had a crossover coupe van with a fastback roofline, they could sell them out at $80k per unit.  They should do a Supra Cross too, there are a lack of 2-seat SUVs on market right now.

Chevy really needs a good crossover coupe--I think they need to be bold and do a Corvette crossover coupe....a rugged mid-engined 2 seat SUV--that would be bold.  Something that would make the Lambo Urus look weak.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, smk4565 said:

There are already renderings of a Corolla Cross pickup similar to the Subaru Baja.

What I am seeing is more mini Elcamino / Australia knock off. I find corolla crossovers and pickups but nothing baja related. Please post the drawings / pictures.

image.png

image.png

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

There are already renderings of a Corolla Cross pickup similar to the Subaru Baja.

That's fake, though...looks like the actual Corolla Cross will be a CH-R sized CUV with normalized styling.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, riviera74 said:

That bad Toyota copy of an El Camino is simply hideous!  Toyota is not that stupid.  Are they?

Those are just fanboy illustrations, nothing real...that Corolla nose in the second pic is from 15 years ago...just delusions from dreamers on the internet.

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Agree 2