Chevy Quiz: How Many SS's Are in Excess?

must be upset with all the criticism of that ass Friedman, so they had to fire back with another anti GM piece.

By EZRA DYER

Published: June 18, 2006

BACK in my high school years, in the early 1990's, my parents had a decrepit Subaru DL wagon. A few days before its date with the junkyard, I customized that rusty Subaru with one of the most revered badges in muscle-car history: "454 SS," rendered in reflective mailbox stickers applied to the front fenders.

Around the time I created my faux SS, Chevrolet was revitalizing the badge with wicked vehicles like the 454 SS pickup and the Impala SS muscle sedan. Today, nearly every car in the Chevy lineup has an SS version except (mercifully) the Aveo and (strangely) the Corvette. There are also two SS trucks, the TrailBlazer and Silverado. But is this proliferation of all things SS really good for the brand?

When I slapped SS badges on the Subaru, the joke was obvious. Now you can go to your Chevy dealer and buy a four-cylinder, nonsupercharged Cobalt ($17,490), possibly with four doors and an automatic transmission, that wears SS logos. And they're not mailbox stickers.

Most car companies' go-fast divisions employ easy-to-summarize game plans. BMW's M cars are high-revving, high-horsepower technology showcases. Chrysler's SRT vehicles offer extreme performance for the money. The Web site for Cadillac's V-Series — www.cadillacunder5.com — underscores the V-cars' common ability: each of these high-performance Cadillacs can reach 60 miles an hour in less than 5 seconds.

To get people excited about a message, it helps if they can understand it in the first place. But Chevy's SS lineup is an automotive pot-luck dinner: "Hi, Suzy, I brought a V-8-powered front-wheel-drive coupe with Dale Earnhardt Intimidator logos. I hope that's not what you brought!" "No problem. I cooked up a supercharged autocross demon, and Harry baked a four-door hatchback that looks like the second coming of the Chevy Citation X-11."

Unlike Cadillac, Chevy would have a hard time pinning down a theme that could serve as a Web address for the SS lineup. The SS vehicles are fast (the TrailBlazer SS) unless they're not (the Cobalt SS sedan's four-cylinder engine turns out 171 horsepower). They have exclusive engines unavailable in other iterations of the same model (the Impala SS's 5.3-liter V-8), unless they don't (the Silverado SS's 6-liter V-8 can be ordered in lesser Silverados).

The SS lineup is front drive (Cobalt, Malibu, Malibu Maxx, Impala, Monte Carlo), unless it's rear drive (Silverado, SSR, base TrailBlazer SS) or all-wheel drive (TrailBlazer SS AWD).

For good measure, the fastest car General Motors has ever made, the Corvette Z06, also resides in Chevy's lineup. And it is not an SS.

Despite the scattershot approach, there are some compelling vehicles here. My first exposure to a modern SS car came in the passenger seat of a Cobalt SS Supercharged ($20,490) on the infield road course of Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, N.C. At the wheel was Dale Earnhardt Jr. As he pounded the car around the short track, I was surprised by the Cobalt's composure at the limit.

Cars with front-wheel drive have a tendency to understeer — to lose grip at the front tires first, while the rear end has traction in reserve. From my seat, the Cobalt felt exceptionally neutral for a front-drive car. As Junior bent the SS into the corners, I could feel the rear end rotate and point the car into the turn, evidence of careful chassis tuning. A few laps later, the Nascar star managed to hang the rear end off the track into the dirt in glorious "Dukes of Hazzard" oversteer, causing his race-team handlers to call a halt to the fun.

Most front-drive cars wouldn't have done that, short of pulling on the emergency brake halfway through the turn. The Cobalt SS Supercharged, on the other hand, challenges the driver to handle a four-wheel drift, and even oversteer, as Earnhardt discovered. Chevy tuned the chassis for enthusiasts who will know how to wring the most from it, instead of dumbing it down for the people who make scuff marks on Jersey barriers. The über-Cobalt's 205 horsepower isn't going to give you whiplash, but it puts the car in the same ballpark as the Volkswagen GTI and Honda Civic Si.

The Cobalt SS Supercharged ($20,490) does have an overwrought wing on the back, but if you live in the city someone will soon steal that and leave you with a clean-looking little coupe.

Moving a step up the food chain, we come to the Malibu SS, in both sedan ($23,490) and Maxx hatchback ($23,890) body styles. The Malibu, like the nonsupercharged Cobalt, demonstrates that Chevy is a tad too free with the SS badges. The Malibu SS reminds me of the "Frankenstein wastes a minute of our time" sketches on "Late Night With Conan O'Brien," wherein Frankenstein's monster excitedly leads the camera around the studio, and then triumphantly points to a completely ordinary object, like a light switch.

Like Conan's Frankenstein, the Malibu's SS trim promises to lead us to something exciting, but when we pop the hood we find a 240-horsepower V-6 hooked to a four-speed automatic transmission. A Honda Accord V-6 makes 244 horsepower and is available with a six-speed manual. The new Toyota Camry V-6 packs 268 horsepower. So what's all the fuss about, Malibu SS?

The Malibu SS isn't a bad car for the money — built on the same architecture as the Saab 9-3, you can look at it as a poor man's Saab Aero — but it's not exciting to look at and it doesn't provide enough power to justify the chest-thumping.

Club SS should have a velvet rope manned by a 300-pound bouncer who is armed with a simple mandate: if you're cool and fast, you get in. If you're the Malibu — terribly sorry, we're at capacity. You're going to have to wait, oh, forever.

Unlike the Malibu, the Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS (take your pick for $26,990) suffer no shortage of power. With a 5.3-liter, 303-horsepower V-8 crammed between the front wheels, what they lack is traction.

I laughed maniacally the first time I floored the Impala SS. The bellow that erupts from the dual exhaust, and the concurrent shove you feel from the big-bore V-8, seem to belong to another car. Did this unassuming sedan really make that noise, or is there a Corvette next to me?

The problem is that 303-horsepower V-8's and front-wheel drive go together like peanut butter and salmon. Step on the gas, and the heroic power causes the car to rock back on its suspension, unloading the very tires that are trying to provide forward motivation. Feed more power and the problem worsens. If this were a rear-drive car, it would probably be a few tenths of a second faster to 60 m.p.h. (Car and Driver says it gets there in 5.6 seconds), and a whole lot more manageable on the way. Sticking this engine in a front-drive car is like putting a rocket-powered giraffe on roller skates — fast, awkward and often downright scary.

The Impala SS suffers in comparison with its most obvious rival, the Dodge Charger R/T ($30,670), but it's significantly less expensive. Earlier this year, when Chevy offered no-dicker stickers during its Red Tag Sale, the price was even lower — around $25,500. If you can still browbeat a dealer into a deal like that, the money will get you a lot of car — even if it's driven from the wrong end.

Another issue for the poor Impala SS is its larger-than-life predecessor, the much-loved rear-drive Impala SS of 1994-96. Despite having more horsepower, the new Impala doesn't exude the same charisma as that whale of a hot-rod Caprice police car.

Over in the truck section of the Chevy lot, the Silverado SS ($33,805) can empathize. The last full-size pickup to bear the SS badge, the 454 SS of 1990-93, dropped a bomb on the truck market by stuffing a 7.4-liter V-8 into the lightest body available — the short-bed, half-ton, two-wheel-drive chassis. That truck's tire-smoking antics remain legendary — in fact, models from the 1991-93 years made more torque (405 pound-feet) than you get in the 2006 Silverado SS (380 pound-feet).

The new Silverado SS is a macho-looking truck, with its deep chin spoiler and hunkered-down stance, but Chevy never gave it the firepower to fulfill its role as the performance flag-bearer of the vast Silverado line. The Silverado SS's 345 horsepower is well off the 380 horses of the long-departed Ford Lightning, never mind the 500-horsepower Viper motor in the current Dodge Ram SRT10. What's more, with the same engine available in lesser Silverados, the SS package has essentially been reduced to the lowered suspension, spoilers and 20-inch wheels. It's a nice enough truck, but it is definitely making a withdrawal, not a deposit, at the Bank of SS Brand Equity.

The Silverado could take a few lessons from its midsize S.U.V. sibling, the TrailBlazer SS, one of the best performance values on the market today. The TrailBlazer SS is handsome, offers four-door practicality and can tow up to 6,800 pounds. And, oh, yes — it has a 6-liter Corvette V-8 under the hood, good for 395 horsepower. Now that's more like it.

G.M. says the two-wheel-drive version, which I tested, goes from a stop to 60 m.p.h. in 5.4 seconds. That's faster than the $57,200 Porsche Cayenne S and the $70,250 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. And the sticker for the two-wheel-drive TrailBlazer SS, including XM satellite radio, is $31,255. That's what you call an old-fashioned bargain.

More important, the truck is compelling, regardless of the price: with Corvette power, 20-inch wheels, flared fenders and a single gleaming exhaust tip, it is simple and authoritative. The TrailBlazer SS is a bad (as in good) machine, and it shows that Chevy knows how to build a proper performance variant when it gets the resources to do so.

The top of the SS lineup is the SSR hot-rod convertible pickup ($39,890), a concept truck brought to life that, sadly, never found the audience Chevy had hoped for. I'm a fan of the SSR, which I suppose puts me in the minority, but where else will you find a retractable-hardtop convertible with 395 horsepower and a six-speed manual for less than 40 grand? If you "get" the SSR, you'd better get one soon: while dealers are still selling off their stock, 2006 is the final year for Chevy's retro cruiser.

When the last SSR rolls off the lot, the SS lineup will be one vehicle smaller. That's a start, because if "SS" is really going to mean something, the badge must be more judiciously applied. Chevy needs to steal a page from Cadillac's playbook and narrow its focus.

Frankly, the Malibu, Malibu Maxx, nonsupercharged Cobalt, Impala and Monte Carlo shouldn't have SS editions. I'm not saying that Chevy shouldn't offer a Malibu with a 240-horsepower V-6, I'm just saying that when your model line's "performance" car has five more horsepower than a Hyundai Sonata, maybe you shouldn't make such a big deal about it.

Slapping SS logos on anything with fenders and a 0-60 time under 10 seconds diminishes the credibility of the SS vehicles that are done right. As for the Monte Carlo and Impala, revoke their SS credentials until they're dynamically worthy. (Ahem! Rear-wheel drive! Ahem!)

While I'm playing mad scientist-freelance product planner, it would also be nice to see the Silverado SS return to its roots — heavy-duty engine in a light-duty body — by poaching the 8.1-liter big-block Vortec engine from larger, three-quarter-ton Chevy trucks. Crank up the horsepower and give the Ram SRT10 a run for its money. Of course, such a truck would get horrible gas mileage. But I suspect that if you're in the market for a 5,000-pound truck with a 6-liter V-8, fuel economy isn't a high priority.

Not so long ago, Chevy grasped the idea of SS exclusivity. The fourth-generation Camaro was offered in SS guise that trod perilously close to the Corvette in its performance. But the Camaro also came as an RS, with racy spoilers and a modest V-6 under the hood.

Based on the formula used for the Cobalt today, instead of the RS and SS we'd have had the Camaro SS and the Camaro SS V-8.

Chevy ought to bring back the RS label and apply it to cars with mild performance or cosmetic packages that don't deserve full SS status. Sure, SS drivers will joke that RS stands for "really slow," but RS owners will get hotter styling, better mileage and cheaper insurance. It's a fine system that preserves the integrity of the SS badge.

Speaking of Camaros, here's one more bit of advice for G.M.: Build the Camaro concept car that you are hauling around to auto shows. Now there's a car that would make a really fine SS.

Let's tally up her scorecard:

Cobalt SS: :thumbsup:

Malibu SS: :thumbsdown:

Impala/MC SS: 50/50

Silverado SS: slight :thumbsdown:

Trailblazer SS: :thumbsup:

SSR: :thumbsup:

How does this vary much from what most of us have said, that the Cobalt packs a punch, the Malibu has the show but needs more go and a stick, Impala/MC have it all but RWD and intimidating looks, the Silverado needs to be a single-cab shortbed 2wd monster, the Trailblazer is a rockin', mean bargain that's akin to a more livable and updated Typhoon, and the SSR would've been brilliant at $5k less and with that much power at intro but is still a fascinating vehicle.

This ain't Kentucky Friedman; this is an intelligent man who is actually saying what needs to be said. Kudos to him. And maybe GM will listen.

There was a time in the mid 60's when Super Sport was a 'sporty' trim package and real performace SS's had the engine displacement after it. Such as an SS396 or SS427 vs. a Chevelle/Impala/Nova Super Sport with a 307.

Yeah, the badge should mean more then top level trim, and the Malibu Maxx shouldn't have it.

Wow, the article seems rather balanced.  The Silverado SS is the only half ton Chevy pickup with the 6.0L, however, as far as I know.

you can get the Silverado Maxx... same engine, just different suspension...

The Chevy Silverado SS, has a performance suspension, in which it has the least payload of all the silverados... the Silverado Vortex Maxx is also avalible in the Maxx edition, and with that, you get the standard (or maybe heavy duty) but i'm not certain... plus the 6.0 345hp motor

Thing is, the SS really isn't the TOP trim, the LTZ is. The Malibu SS does not have a few of the "lux" options that the LTZ has and if the Malibu MAXX SS did not exist, I would have never bought 1. a Malibu sedan or 2. A Malibu without the SS pieces that give it the little something extra. Sure I'd love more HP, but I can play with the aftermarket for that.

The days are gone when 1 car line can offer 10 different engines since it's so hard just to get one through emissions/EPA testing. I remember when we bought our 1988 IROC, you really had three V-8 choices in the Camaro, the 305, 305 TPI and 350 TPI. Those days are long gone.

must be upset with all the criticism of that ass Friedman, so they had to fire back with another anti GM piece.

The author did praise the Cadillac V-Series and the author does have many excellent points, though for a journalist can not express them very well. So here are the valid sustinct issues the author trys to make but just can't seem to get them across without sounding ignorant.

1) The Chevy SS vehicles are the performance vehicles of the respective models. Where is the marketing? The SS line is about marketing and GM's Chevrolet Division has not marketed the vehicles as halo vehicles. There is no definition of what the SS models stand for.

Chevrolet really has only 1 performance vehicle and yet there is not link to the rest of the SS performance line up. Chevrolet over the years has done a piss poor job of connecting the Corvette as a Chevrolet and that same disconnect is evident with the SS line. What is the connection between the SS lineup and what is that connection to the 1 performance vehicle they really do have, Corvette?

2) Because there is the disconnect with marekting, the author than focuses on the product. And well with a muddled marketing image as to what an SS is, the author is left to speculate on the SS line. Therefore with questionable product to begin with, the author judges the product as it should be, against the other SS models. And that there is no consistency there.

My biggest problem is the lack of understanding/experience of the author. Where is the direct comparison with Dodges SRT line up? Vehicle for vehicle their SRT product is just as muddled with the out going Neon, now the Calibre, Nitro, etc. But, DCX to the average person pulled the connection off?

But the authors points are well taken by me. Even though the author is ill educated on the subject, the authors points speak many words as to how the average person perceives the Chevrolet SS line up.

The article may not be great journalism but it speaks volumes about the "marketing" problems at Chevrolet. i.e. Malibu Maxx SS?

Edited by evok

I think it's a mistake to compare the SS sub-brand with narrowly focused, limited production and sometimes very pricey products from SRT, SVT, V-Series or M.

SS is not necessarily about a limited edition, hyperperformance, line-up. SS is about volume. SS is about affordable performance. SS is about giving volume transportation appliances abit more performance and trim - affordably.

Would it be better if the MC SS and Impala SS were RWD? For some. But Chevy is working with what it has. And these cars are as worthy of the SS emblem as any other SS. As are cars like the normally aspirated Cobalt SS's.

I think it's a mistake to compare the SS sub-brand with narrowly focused, limited production and sometimes very pricey products from SRT, SVT, V-Series or M.

SS is not necessarily about a limited edition, hyperperformance, line-up. SS is about volume. SS is about affordable performance. SS is about giving volume transportation appliances abit more performance and trim - affordably.

Would it be better if the MC SS and Impala SS were RWD? For some. But Chevy is working with what it has. And these cars are as worthy of the SS emblem as any other SS. As are cars like the normally aspirated Cobalt SS's.

You illustrate the point, no one really knows what the SS sub brand is supposed to be about!

Chevrolet never told the public what SS stands for.

Chevrolet never told the public what SS stands for.

They have:

Brent Dewar as Chevy GM:

“The SS name has always represented performance for mainstream customers, and these new products deliver it with uncompromising sedan versatility and value – in other words, it is guilt-free fun.”

Brent Dewar as GM VP of marketing and advertising:

“SS has always stood for attainable performance – vehicles that deliver an exciting driving experience across a variety of products,”

You can fault the execution of certain products - but SS today is faithful to what SS has always been.

Edited by Chazman

i think they miss the camaro. there was a whole chain and a link has been missing. the corvette sits at the top, then the camaro which was almost like the vette then whatever come after that was almost like the camaro, performance wise...

you cant jump from a cobalt to a vette--like they tried when those commercials first appeared. decent commercials but instead of an actual blood relative it was more like an adopted big brother.

i think the marketing will take care of itself if/when this new camaro joins te food chain over at chevy.

and perhaps even another rwd.

cobalt sc/tc--car x(monte sc for now)--camaro--corvette--c6r just to rub it in.

a complete lineup marketable to every interested performance/style

BINGO!!!!!!!!! :pbjtime:

i think they miss the camaro.  there was a whole chain and a  link has been missing.  the corvette sits at the top, then the camaro which was almost like the vette then whatever come after that was almost like the camaro, performance wise...

The Camaro will have a link, both to the SS sub-brand and a Z (Z/28).

They have:

Brent Dewar as Chevy GM:

You can fault the execution of certain products - but SS today is faithful to what SS has always been.

There is no articulation to the public what an SS is. None. Why have an SS model if there is no advertising to creat a halo image for the sub brand and lesser product.

The general public certainly does not care, read or show interest in Dewar-industry quotes.

That was the point of the NY Times article.

This has nothing to do what you or I know about the SS product. We do not count when the average Joe on the street can not make the connection.

theres no horn to toot about the SS cars now. sure the monte is ok, if you like fwd but its nothing like even the 80's ss. i understand its basically appearance packages, or a trim level but theres no real excitement.

the z's are for that, and i dont ever remember any emphasis on that, minus the 06 and 71. of recent the beretta's, cavs, and camaros all had there places in the spectrum but were still kindve boring, minus the ...camaro of course.

when/if the camaro gets here they can honk their horns all day and it will mean something again other than a gimmick to sell a few extra cars a year.

The Corvette has always really been the odd duck in the GM family. It's in a league of it's own and in a lot of ways it's tough to relate it to the rest of the Chevy line and in a broader sense the overall GM line. (Isn't Pontiac the "excitement division?")

I *do* love these analysts that bitch about GM and their front-wheel-drive vehicles. Somehow they've seem to forgotten how they bitched at GM 20 years ago for NOT having FWD. I guess they aren't as clairvoyant as they claim.

Let's tally up her scorecard:

Cobalt SS: :thumbsup:

Malibu SS: :thumbsdown:

Impala/MC SS: 50/50

Silverado SS: slight :thumbsdown:

Trailblazer SS: :thumbsup:

SSR: :thumbsup:

How does this vary much from what most of us have said, that the Cobalt packs a punch, the Malibu has the show but needs more go and a stick, Impala/MC have it all but RWD and intimidating looks, the Silverado needs to be a single-cab shortbed 2wd monster, the Trailblazer is a rockin', mean bargain that's akin to a more livable and updated Typhoon, and the SSR would've been brilliant at $5k less and with that much power at intro but is still a fascinating vehicle.

This ain't Kentucky Friedman; this is an intelligent man who is actually saying what needs to be said. Kudos to him. And maybe GM will listen.

I think it's an EXCELLENT article. Yes, I agree there is a tone of GM-bashing in the writing, but the author makes some good points....

....such as a Malibu SS that should have WAY more power than 240hp in a world of (almost) 270hp Camrys, 244hp Accords, and (almost) 240hp Sonatas.

....and I think THE "SS" model Cobalt SHOULD be the supercharged version. Leave the 171hp 2.4L version as an upscale option for the more pedestrian Cobalts. Although I disagree with the author's assertion that the 2.4L SS is not a performer.....MT got 7.1secs 0-60 in a 5-speed SS sedan. That's nicely quick in my mind.

....and powerful and affordable it may be, but the Impala SS is way to bland to carry the image. I envision something more along the lines of the R/T package-equipped Charger RT....or even something akin to the Charger Daytona models. Let's add a little "bling" to it, emmm-kay?

Chevy's whole "SS" product plan is a GOOD start, it's just that in typical GM fashion, it's the overall execution that suffers.

They have:

Brent Dewar as Chevy GM:

More of the problem lies in the execution of the MAINSTREAM models.

Malibu is a GREAT example.

Non-SS Malibus should, in theory, have a 3.9L 240hp engine as an option if they are to effectively compete with the Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas of the world.

That leaves room for an SS model that is lightly-equipped, but with an enhanced suspension, wheel/tire package, and powertrain that goes BEYOND what GM gives us for the existing Malibu SS.

But that's typical GM M/O. In order to have a Malibu that has the driving dynamics and performance to come close to the MAINSTREAM Accord, Mazda6, Fusion, and Altima models, you HAVE to step up to the SS.

Anything less than a Malibu SS seems underpowered, unrefined, floppy, and an overall less-than-pleasurable drive (once again...compared to it's competitive contemporaries.)

Give us a BASE Malibu that drives and feels like today's SS.....THEN you can give us something that really deserves the moniker.

More of the problem lies in the execution of the MAINSTREAM models.

I think that you make a great point.....and the Malibu is a perfect illustration as well.

The Malibu SS is faster, more powerful, and is more nicely appointed than the the trim level below it. A sportier base car would net a sportier SS. Chevy though, is just not ready to step up in that regard - yet.

I think that you make a great point.....and the Malibu is a perfect illustration as well.

The Malibu SS is faster, more powerful, and is more nicely appointed than the the trim level below it.  A sportier base car would net a sportier SS. Chevy though, is just not ready to step up in that regard - yet.

Look at even the LaCrosse.

I my opinion, the CXS has an almost perfect balance of soft, quiet (re...Lexus-like) ride with a solid feel and decent body control.

The base CX and CXL are still Buick-floaty and feel more unrefined over surface undulations and so forth....

Why isn't the CXS suspension tuning standard on ALL LaCrosses? The middling amount of extra road noise and tire thump of the bigger, higher-performance 17-inch tires could be reduced for the base models by using a lower-performance, more all-season tire....yet keeping the general suspension and body-control tuning the same as CXS.

Is there ANYONE out there that doubts that strategy would make a WAY more appealing CX or CXL LaCrosse?

Is there ANYONE out there that doubts that strategy would make a WAY more appealing CX or CXL LaCrosse?

Those who buy CXs don't want that sort of suspension. They like the float. Seriously. Talk to some older people. I enjoy a compliant Buick dynaride feel myself (and appreciate that my Aurora has good handling but never at the cost of ride quality), but holy crap. I remember waiting at a Buick dealership for service and an older man was talking to the service tech about his LeSabre Custom riding 'a bit too stiff'... :blink:

Also, I wouldn't say any Buick is 'unrefined' in ride quality. Some models are very adept at providing a cushy, floaty, disconnected ride and do it extrodinarily well. You could run over a sea turtle and never notice. This may not be to your liking, but - how should I say this - it controls its lack of control very well. It is one with the float. I would say a base '00 Impala or '02 Camry CE would fall under 'unrefined' simply because the suspension doesn't know what its doing - it exhibits massive body roll, yet is still rough over bumps. What the hell?

There is no articulation to the public what an SS is.  None.  Why have an SS model if there is no advertising to creat a halo image for the sub brand and lesser product.

The general public certainly does not care, read or show interest in Dewar-industry quotes.

That was the point of the NY Times article.

This has nothing to do what you or I know about the SS product.  We do not count when the average Joe on the street can not make the connection.

I'm not really sure how you would articulate SS to the public in absolute and specific terms. Some SS models for example- TBSS and Cobalt Supercharged SS - are developed by GMPD, and are more focused. The rest, Impala, MC, Malibu, Cobalt, Silverado are less focused. In fact the MC and Impala SS are far less performance oriented that their platform mate, the GP GXP.

I guess the SS sub-brand requires wiggle room to represent mainstream performance to a high volume of buyers, across Chevy's product line.

And one more thing...I REALLY, REALLY hope that GM does NOT make the mistake of calling the LS9 Corvette.....Corvette SS. It may make some marketing types drool in the potential to peddle Cobalts and Malibus...but that would be a travesty for Corvette.

Those who buy CXs don't want that sort of suspension. They like the float. Seriously. Talk to some older people. I enjoy a compliant Buick dynaride feel myself (and appreciate that my Aurora has good handling but never at the cost of ride quality), but holy crap. I remember waiting at a Buick dealership for service and an older man was talking to the service tech about his LeSabre Custom riding 'a bit too stiff'... :blink:

Also, I wouldn't say any Buick is 'unrefined' in ride quality. Some models are very adept at providing a cushy, floaty, disconnected ride and do it extrodinarily well. You could run over a sea turtle and never notice. This may not be to your liking, but - how should I say this - it controls its lack of control very well. It is one with the float. I would say a base '00 Impala or '02 Camry CE would fall under 'unrefined' simply because the suspension doesn't know what its doing - it exhibits massive body roll, yet is still rough over bumps. What the hell?

Yep, you don't want to piss off the faithful....

The SS monicker USED to be a dollop of jam on an ordinary car. It meant you got bucket seats and chrome on your 327 Impala and Chevy II Nova.

However, to many, SS represents the fire breathing Chevelle 454's and 1960's Impala 427's, not to mention the powerful Camaro's of yore.

In my opinion, SS should be the dollop of jam; the model that gets you a minor, but notable performance boost, cosmetic body effects, a little more chrome in and out and even leather/suede seats, and I think the Cobalt SS supercharged fits the bill perfectly.

I think GM SHOULD create a performance line, maybe even harkening back to the Chevelle 454's... Lets hypothetically say the possible RWD Impala comes out with a 6.0 litre option. Instead of calling it a SS, call it a "366" (or if the world was perfect, a 6.2L would be a "378" ... So it'd be an Impala 366. The imperial units harken back to the days of American muscle and create nostalgia.

Those who buy CXs don't want that sort of suspension. They like the float. Seriously.

They also like bingo, Geritol, knitting, and Viagra.

That's exactly the image Buick doesn't need.

The über-Cobalt's 205 horsepower isn't going to give you whiplash, but it puts the car in the same ballpark as the Volkswagen GTI and Honda Civic Si.

Yeah, except it'll eat an Si alive....

Sticking this engine in a front-drive car is like putting a rocket-powered giraffe on roller skates — fast, awkward and often downright scary.

MORE of a reason why I want an Impala SS.... LOL. (No, seriously! I do!)

G.M. says the two-wheel-drive version, which I tested, goes from a stop to 60 m.p.h. in 5.4 seconds. That's faster than the $57,200 Porsche Cayenne S and the $70,250 Range Rover Sport Supercharged. And the sticker for the two-wheel-drive TrailBlazer SS, including XM satellite radio, is $31,255. That's what you call an old-fashioned bargain.

Except, none of the "enthusiast" mags givva damn... They're to busy bitching about the "hard interior plastics" and other PANSY details. I guess that's how they get when you take them away from their mommies for a few minutes... God forbid anyone be a REAL MAN anymore. :rollleyes:

The top of the SS lineup is the SSR hot-rod convertible pickup ($39,890), a concept truck brought to life that, sadly, never found the audience Chevy had hoped for. I'm a fan of the SSR, which I suppose puts me in the minority, but where else will you find a retractable-hardtop convertible with 395 horsepower and a six-speed manual for less than 40 grand? If you "get" the SSR, you'd better get one soon: while dealers are still selling off their stock, 2006 is the final year for Chevy's retro cruiser.

Such a beautiful machine... If only I could afford one... Oh well, guess it was TOO COOL for the media to give it the nod. If something from Detroit is too competitive, then it gets panned even harder.

While I'm playing mad scientist-freelance product planner, it would also be nice to see the Silverado SS return to its roots — heavy-duty engine in a light-duty body — by poaching the 8.1-liter big-block Vortec engine from larger, three-quarter-ton Chevy trucks. Crank up the horsepower and give the Ram SRT10 a run for its money. Of course, such a truck would get horrible gas mileage. But I suspect that if you're in the market for a 5,000-pound truck with a 6-liter V-8, fuel economy isn't a high priority.

I'm sure GM would get bitched at for the 5,000 or so they sell to no end. "It uses too much gas.... It's unsafe.... It's marketed to kids"

Give me a break!

By in large, I agree 100% with the article... The regular Cobalt SS should NOT be an SS, the Silverado SS should not be an SS and the Malibu/Maxx SS shouldn't carry the badges either.

The Impala & Monte can slide by for now, but Chevy really does need to make SS Less of a top trim level and more of a specific trim level such as SVT or SRT.

BTW, did anyone else notice that the SS cars the author *REALLY* liked were the 2 developed by GMPD (Trailblazer SS & Cobalt SC/SS) I think that in itself says something.

G

By in large, I agree 100% with the article... The regular Cobalt SS should NOT be an SS, the Silverado SS should not be an SS and the Malibu/Maxx SS shouldn't carry the badges either.

The Impala & Monte can slide by for now, but Chevy really does need to make SS Less of a top trim level and more of a specific trim level such as SVT or SRT.

Just for the sake of discussion Future, what would an appropriate Malibu SS be? Since I've never, ever, heard anyone talk about what an SS "should be" in the context of sophisticated chassis, track ready suspension tune, big ass brakes, summer only ultra-high performance tires, etc.,.......I assume the big beef with the current SS's with some, are the powertrains.

Okay, I'll admit that I believe the Malibu SS should have been available with the same manual trans as the G6 GTP...but then what - where would we go from there?

Should the SS have been built around the HF 3.6? And at what cost for that? How about with SC Ecotec and M6 out of the Cobalt SS SC? I think that would be a pretty neat package, but probably without broad appeal.

BTW, did anyone else notice that the SS cars the author *REALLY* liked were the 2 developed by GMPD (Trailblazer SS & Cobalt SC/SS) I think that in itself says something.

Yes, i noticed that, perhaps that means performance best be left to those who specialize in it. The TBSS is no "dollop of jam" as someone said SS's once were. It isn't just looks and a different engine, the whole darn truck got an overhaul. The interior remains essentially the same except for the seats. The hardware of the truck and virtually all of the powertrain got changed to bring this sleeper SSUV beast to life. That shows dedication and thoughtfullness. Hand off more cars to the performance division and let them do them right.

Bean counters don't make fast cars, they just makes ones that fart real loud. Let the enthusiasts at GM do what they do best. They brought us the C6 Corvette and then the Z06, and hopefully soon, the Stingray. They know what they are doing, and they make sure that a car makes a full transformation before it is given the title of "SS". GMPD makes sure that the car earns it. And any SUV that can handle the Nurburgring and do well gets my vote as being worthy of the SS badge. I think the SS grandfather (Impala SS) would be proud.

The TBSS is no "dollop of jam"  as someone said SS's once were.  It isn't just looks and a different engine, the whole darn truck got an overhaul.

If this were "back in the day", the TBSS would be a handful of badges and some trim on the base I6 version. Guys with afew more bucks would pop for the SS 5.3 version. A handful - a handful- of affluent buyers would have bought the rare and expensive (and harder to insure), 6.0 liter TB SS. They might even go with those extravagant 20" wheels.

And decades later, people on enthusiast message boards, would say that no SS ever came with less than 6.0 liters. And they ALL ran 12's. :P

Edited by Chazman

It really doesn't matter if every Chevy car had the SS badge, as long as all of them can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, which is not the case with every current SS car.

I would wager that the majority of cars ever made with the SS badge can't break 6 seconds 0-60. The 1983-87 Monte Carlo SS, 94-96 Impala SS, and 454 SS truck, revered and respected SS models aren't that fast nor were the six cylinder Nova SS and base V8 SS cars across the model lines from 1964-74. I think when it comes down to it, it's really the holes in the block and the drive wheels enthusiasts get bent up about. Slow, V8, RWD SS OK, fast FWD 4 or 6 cylinder SS bad.

Funny how the author compare the torque of the 6.0 SS to the 454 SS pickup. THat thing is much slower, despite the greater torque. So why compare?

I love Chevys SS lineup. Okay another RD car wold be good--but for what they are--they do very well.

Reasonably priced cars, with geniune perfoprmance upgrades are worthy of the SS badge, IMO.

Really high hp is nice to dream about but the price would be so high that the average joe could not get one.

My 2.4L SS beats everything in its class. Mazda3, Ralliart, Focus ST ect...so I think the SS badge is fitting.

It also can take a stock 350 SS 67-69--and remember they had multiple engined SS cars back then. So is a 350 SS not a real SS?? Cause the 396s were faster you know

I would wager that the majority of cars ever made with the SS badge can't break 6 seconds 0-60. The 1983-87 Monte Carlo SS, 94-96 Impala SS, and 454 SS truck, revered and respected SS models aren't that fast nor were the six cylinder Nova SS and base V8 SS cars across the model lines from 1964-74.  I think when it comes down to it, it's really the holes in the block and the drive wheels enthusiasts get bent up about.  Slow, V8, RWD SS OK, fast FWD 4 or 6 cylinder SS bad.

162879[/snapback]

great post!

The 1983-87 Monte Carlo SS,

162879[/snapback]

the late 80's monte ss were much better looking to me regardless of the engine upgrade. there was a giant difference in appearance when compared to the ls.

same holds true somewhat to todays. the ss looks more complete. you know its a little more special. im not a huge fan but you know its an ss just by looking.

id still rather a gn anyday though.

wouldnt mind seeing this on the road or in my driveway either.

http://popularhotrodding.com/features/0510...d/photo_01.html