Denali Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

William Maley
Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com
May 17, 2012

After months of speculation, rumor, and hearsay, GM let the cat out of the bag today. Coming late next year as a 2014 model, the Chevrolet SS RWD sedan. (Yes, SS is the actual name).

The SS sedan will be based on the Holden Commodore sedan and it will be it will be used by NASCAR Sprint Cup teams starting at the 2013 Daytona 500.

At the moment, Chevrolet isn't saying much about specifics. We're expecting a small-block V8, manual transmission option, and to be sold in limited numbers.

“As a passionate race fan and performance enthusiast, I am thrilled that Chevrolet will deliver a true rear-wheel-drive NASCAR racecar in the SS that is closely linked to the performance sedan that will be available for sale. The Chevrolet SS is a great example of how GM is able to leverage its global product portfolio to deliver a unique performance experience that extends beyond the track. I am personally looking forward to driving it,” said Mark Reuss, president of GM North America in a press release.

The lead up related to this:
Chevy’s Upcoming SS Sedan May Give Way to a New Ute and Wagon
Did OnStar Accidentally Confirm An SS Model In 2014?
Rumorpile: GM Trademarks SS... Why Now?
Impala Leaping Out of NASCAR, Unnamed Model Taking Its Place

Press Release in on Page 2
[page]

Chevrolet Announces New SS Performance Sedan

Will compete in 2013 NASCAR and arrive in showrooms as 2014 model

DETROIT – Chevrolet today announced the return of a V-8 powered, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan to the U.S. lineup, the Chevrolet SS. The SS will also be Chevrolet’s next NASCAR Sprint Cup racecar and will debut in its race configuration at the 2013 Daytona 500.

The limited production version of the Chevrolet SS will be a 2014 model and will arrive in dealer showrooms in late 2013. It is the first time in 17 years that Chevrolet will offer a rear-wheel-drive sedan for sale in the United States.

Chevrolet has a long history of using the SS (Super Sport) designation on high-performance models of some of its most enduring nameplates. The SS designation first appeared in 1957 on a Corvette prototype race car built under the guidance of Zora Arkus-Duntov with the plan to enter it in the Le Mans 24-hour race.

The first production vehicle offered with an SS option was the 1961 Impala – 453 were built with the performance upgrades which included a modified chassis and suspension, power brakes, a steering column mounted tachometer and unique wheels and tires. The latest SS model in the Chevrolet lineup is the fifth-generation Camaro, which debuted in 2010.
The Chevrolet SS will be a derivative of the award-winning global rear-wheel-drive architecture that spawns performance vehicles like Chevrolet Camaro and Holden’s upcoming VF Commodore. The much anticipated Australian-built car will benefit from significant technology advances which enhance overall performance.

“As a passionate race fan and performance enthusiast, I am thrilled that Chevrolet will deliver a true rear-wheel-drive NASCAR racecar in the SS that is closely linked to the performance sedan that will be available for sale,” said Mark Reuss, president of GM North America. “The Chevrolet SS is a great example of how GM is able to leverage its global product portfolio to deliver a unique performance experience that extends beyond the track. I am personally looking forward to driving it.”

Chevrolet was America’s best-selling performance car brand in 2011 with Camaro and Corvette accounting for one out of every three sports cars sold in the United States. The addition of the SS should strengthen Chevrolet’s position as a leading performance brand.

Click here to view the article

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,031 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

So... just no imagination at all on the name then? Not even Commodore?

z28luvr01

Mr. Fantastic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

I wonder how much an SS LTZ with an RS package would cost?

I can't believe they ran with SS, but whatever. At least the Commodore is (officially) back in some form.

riviera74

GXP Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Disappointed about the name :stupid: . Great news on the car though :w00t: .

GMTruckGuy74

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Maybe the badges will spell out SuperSport?

Posted Image

Wishful thinking, I know!!

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,453 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Surprised they couldn't get more creative with the name. Oh well..nice to see Chevy finally getting a Charger competitor.

z28luvr01

Mr. Fantastic

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,329 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Unless the camo is deceiving, it looks like it'll forego the "new" face of Chevy (Traverse, Impala) and keep the crossbar grille that's similar to the '13 Malibu.

avant1963

IMAGINE

• Premium Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

So can we suppose that the Camaro drops the SS in 2014 and goes with Z/28 - then the SS will just be a model and not a trim level?
Camaro Z28, ZL1
Corvette Z06, ZR1

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,453 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

So can we suppose that the Camaro drops the SS in 2014 and goes with Z/28 - then the SS will just be a model and not a trim level?
Camaro Z28, ZL1
Corvette Z06, ZR1

Doubt if that is going to happen... I don't know if they are going to bring back the Z/28 name, maybe w/ the next generation. And then there is the SL1..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar, 17 May 2012 - 12:51 PM.

Camino LS6

Head Skunk of the Underground

• Members
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Just "SS" ?

Really?

Glad to see Holden goodness coming back here, despite the silliness of using "SS" as a nameplate.

Drew Dowdell

Unimatrix 01

• Admin
  • 30,031 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

Unless the camo is deceiving, it looks like it'll forego the "new" face of Chevy (Traverse, Impala) and keep the crossbar grille that's similar to the '13 Malibu.

That's the nascar version....

hyperv6

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

While SS seems short it makes little difference. This is the Flag Ship for the Chevy passenger line and will represent the top of all the SS vehicles.

To be honest if they are like many SS owner they take hte badges off anyways. The hot topic with many is how to debadge them anyways.

I left mine on as I paid for it and I am damn well going to show it LOL!

There is another name lurking out htere as a V6 sedan and wagon will not be Super Sport. It will be interesting to see what they do there. We already have a good idea what the Ute will be. You know with their how they are naming things it will be called a Sprint. [Just Kidding]

As far as I am concerned they could have called the the Mud Flap GT as long as they bring it on.

As for the nose I expect it will be similar to Chris Doane's illistration. It fits what has been said and the grill has a Impala tone to it. They have cut back on the silly fender flairs on the car as I had hope per what has been stated so far and Chris's drawing represents that. For the most it looks like a cleaned up Holden.

Maybe the badges will spell out SuperSport?

Posted Image

Wishful thinking, I know!!

I too would like to see it spelled out ala 1966.

JamesB

Super Sport Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Don't forget, the V8Supercars will be racing at the "Circuit of The Americas" in Austin,Texas in 2013. Do you think Chevrolet will use the event as part of their pre-release advertising?

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

So I assume this will be a V8 as the only engine. I wonder how that will sell, and at what cost? And interesting that "in the name of CAFE" the ATS needs a 200 hp 4-cylinder, the CTS is getting a 4-cylinder, yet Chevy gets a V8 sedan. If this is another direct from Australia import I don't see it as a success. GM hasn't been able to convert a Holden or Opel into a successful selling car in the USA yet, the Regal has performed the best yet and that is one of the slowest selling Buicks.

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,453 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

So I assume this will be a V8 as the only engine. I wonder how that will sell, and at what cost? And interesting that "in the name of CAFE" the ATS needs a 200 hp 4-cylinder, the CTS is getting a 4-cylinder, yet Chevy gets a V8 sedan. If this is another direct from Australia import I don't see it as a success. GM hasn't been able to convert a Holden or Opel into a successful selling car in the USA yet, the Regal has performed the best yet and that is one of the slowest selling Buicks.

The Corvette is V8 only also. This is a low volume niche model...I would assume pricing would be in the ballpark of a Charger SRT8... The ATS is intended to be a high volume model.

SAmadei

Denali Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

GM hasn't been able to convert a Holden or Opel into a successful selling car in the USA yet, the Regal has performed the best yet and that is one of the slowest selling Buicks.

Correct about Opel, but not about Holden. Holden didn't have the production capacity to build 100K/yr of GTOs or G8s... and both had to fight insane dealer markups initially.

Be interesting to see what the Chevy dealers do this time around... and to see how much Holden capacity Chevy will be allowed to leverage.

smk4565

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,255 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

The Corvette is V8 only also. This is a low volume niche model...I would assume pricing would be in the ballpark of a Charger SRT8... The ATS is intended to be a high volume model.

But the Vette is a sports car, and who knows, it may even get a V6. Even the S-class and 7-series offer a V6/I6, I think if it is V8 only they are going for really low volume. But maybe that is what they want.

ocnblu

C&G's Boldest Member

• Premium Subscriber
  • 28,456 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is gonna be fantastic. When's the El Camino debut?

Cubical-aka-Moltar

American Cubicle Dweller

• Premium Subscriber
  • 22,453 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

But the Vette is a sports car, and who knows, it may even get a V6. Even the S-class and 7-series offer a V6/I6, I think if it is V8 only they are going for really low volume. But maybe that is what they want.

Maybe they will offer a non-SS version w/ a V6 at some point in the future, if they build it in NA. Chevy already has the Impala, they don't need two big cars w/ V6s...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar, 17 May 2012 - 07:09 PM.

crunksoulbrotha!!`

Red-Line

• Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

GM should just call it Chevelle and call it a day. People respect that nameplate!!!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chevrolet, SS, RWD, Holden

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users