07 SEBRING pics - with interior

The Sebring looks good on the inside but, like CSpec said, given Chrysler's track record on materials, I'll have my doubts until I sit in one. I still find the exterior to be too swoopy and busy.

The Aspen really is a bad joke.

I have to laugh at people slagging the Aspen..Chrysler is not the only one sharing an SUV platform across brands... look at the Equinox/Torrent, Trailblazer/Envoy/umpteen other siblings and the Tahoe/Yukon, to name a few...

Edited by moltar

The Sebring dash looks pretty nice..I like how they put the ignition on the dash (GM did that on a few of the Ws a while back, but seems to have not done it on other cars lately)...defintiely nicer than the tired on-the-column placement, IMHO..

I wonder how the interior plastics will be though, recent Chrysler products have had nasty rock-hard plastics.

Edited by moltar

Posted Image

What a chintzy looking interior. SO....MUCH...PLASTIC. Maybe the plastic has some soft touch to it, but it looks like crap. For it being a Chrysler, they don't even bother putting some trim around the vents or something to break up that vast expanse of gray. And that wood....it looks like it came straight off our old 1978 La-Z-Boy couch with the orange and brown plad pattern. And the radio buttons look like something that came off my old Daewoo 13" TV.

Edited by mustang84

I have to laugh at people slagging the Aspen..Chrysler is the the only one sharing an SUV platform across brands...  look at the Equinox/Torrent, Trailblazer/Envoy/umpteen other siblings  and the Tahoe/Yukon, to name a few...

180331[/snapback]

I'm not slagging it because its a chintzy rebadge (its is), but because its awful-looking and not based on a real good vehicle in the first place, certainly not one that's Chrysler worthy in performance, luxury, quality, or ride.

The Sebring dash looks pretty nice..I like how they put the ignition on the dash (GM did that on a few of the Ws a while back, but seems to have not done it on other cars lately)...defintiely nicer than the tired on-the-column placement, IMHO..

180332[/snapback]

The Aura has it on the dash too.

Posted Image

And that wood....it looks like it came straight off our old 1978 La-Z-Boy couch with the orange and brown plad pattern.

180333[/snapback]

Reminds me of the 2007 wood interior of the Camry XLE

Personally I prefer the Aspen's interior to the Durango's...they do have differences unless you are to blind or stupid to see them. The biggest improvement is the fact that the gauge cluster's dhas shade (i dunno the technical name for it) no longer goes halfway across the dash, I've hated that about Dodge interiors for some time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also the fake wood (I doubt it's real) in teh Aspen looks better, and the brushed metal on the center stack in nice.

--

As for teh Sebring, I've liked the interior since I first saw it. The exterior I've been unsure of, but the picture they took actually makes itlook pretty good.

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

The Sebring has a great interior...the exterior is too busy. To much Saturn ION in the roofline.

The Pacifica is ok. Glad if finally got some more power in the top engine. It will need it if it hopes to have any chance against the much better looking (inside and out) Buick Enclave early next year.

The Aspen is ok. I can't fault Chrysler for taking the Durango and trying to get a higher transaction price out of the truck. Remember that is what GMC did with the Denali and then Cadillac did with the Escalade. The Aspen is much better inside and out in terms of differentiation than the first Denali and Escalade. The problem is that while the Denali, Escalade and Navigator have all been on the market long enough to establish some credibility and following... the Aspen is new and entering a market plagued by $3.00/gallon gas. The Denali, Escalade and Navigator got to cut their teeth when gas was much much cheaper.

I think the Aspen will suffer.

Personally I prefer the Aspen's interior to the Durango's...they do have differences unless you are to blind or stupid to see them. The biggest improvement is the fact that the gauge cluster's dhas shade (i dunno the technical name for it) no longer goes halfway across the dash, I've hated that about Dodge interiors for some time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also the fake wood (I doubt it's real) in teh Aspen looks better, and the brushed metal on the center stack in nice.

DCX did a better job with their steering wheels than GM did. I hate it that the Tahoe, Yukon, Denali and Escalade all have the same airbag cover with a round button for the specific brand. You notice how the Dodge and Chrysler emblembs are part of the skin and not the same shape.

The Suzuki XL-7 got its own GM airbag cover yet the GMT-900s must share. Go figure.

Aw come on! What's not to like?!?!?!  :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a work of art I tells ye!  :lol:

180169[/snapback]

it looks like they put the wrong parts on a durango which is already hideous. I wonder what genius dreamed this up. They should have named it the Duwrongo or something .ooh Chrysler Quazimodo. The others look OK i guess.

No one is going to buy the Aspen. The Durango its based on its pretty inferior in many regards, not the least of which are pretty lackluster build quality and pathetic fuel economy; I've heard of Hemis averaging 9-10mpg in mixed driving.

A different dashboard cover and some trim changes. Great. Where's the real luxury? It isn't there. I'll bet you can get exactly the same features on a Durango. Look at the HVAC outlets - clanky and cheaply-cut. Look at the glovebox latch - possibly the most flimsy part of any Chrysler product. Same monchromatic interior, too. As for exterior differentiation, at least the old Yukon Denali was a handsome product. Chrysler styling cues are horribly grafted onto an already unattractive and bloated body. It doesn't even look like a proper Chrysler.

For what it is, its still pretty lousy. In comparison to the other quality SUVs out there, its at a loss. And as for what it brings to Chrysler, I don't see what exactly.

It's funny how much you guys knock this thing, but when you think about it...all the 2007 GMC Yukon is, is a Tahoe with a different nose and tail lights...and OMG guess what?! That sounds suspiciously like what the Aspen is...a Durango with different nose and Tail lights (and hood), although the Aspen went a step further and at least tried to upgrade/change the look of the interior, which happens to look pretty nice IMO. Build quality looks better than the old Durangos too. This thing exists so that people who may not want a Durango because of some styling cues may want this instead, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Don't forget that GM is the king of shoving a new grill on SUVs (and cars) and calling them a different car. Torrent, G5, anyone?

Edited by Dodgefan

It's funny how much you guys knock this thing, but when you think about it...all the 2007 GMC Yukon is, is a Tahoe with a different nose and tail lights...and OMG guess what?! That sounds suspiciously like what the Aspen is...a Durango with different nose and Tail lights (and hood), although the Aspen went a step further and at least tried to upgrade the interior, which happens to look pretty nice IMO. Build quality looks better than the old Durangos too. This thing exists so that people who may not want a Durango because of some styling cues may want this instead, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Don't forget that GM is the king of shoving a new grill on SUVs (and cars) and calling them a different car. Torrent, G5, anyone?

180620[/snapback]

Again, this ignores the fact that the GMT-900s are excellent vehicles to begin with, ditto with the Expedition; the Durango never was a good sport utility in any capacity. The first generation had the looks, but godawful safety. The current one is horrifyingly ugly, poorly built, and sucks gas like a bitch.

The 2007 Tahoe/Yukon are further differentiated from each other than the Durango/Aspen. I'm not going to rehash this debate because I believe it has no foundation. I will say that the latest GM and Ford SUVs are standard-bearers while these DCX ones will (still) be also-rans.

If Chrysler was trying to upgrade the interior, they failed. As I said, not only are most of the tangible parts (door handles, column shifter, console) still shared, they're still cheap as hell. The 300's waffle grille and gobs of chrome does nothing to restrain the gastropodical bloatedness of the entire rig either. Also, I sure hope they tinkered with the suspension because the Durango pitches, floats, and wallows like a fishing skiff in a gale.

You can go ahead and pull the "well, GM does this!" line all you want, it doesn't save the Aspen. I think the market will bear this out as sales plummet on a grand level after the first few months and Chrysler resorts to fleeting the living Christ out of these things as it has (and still is) the Durango and Commander.

I have to laugh at people slagging the Aspen..Chrysler is the the only one sharing an SUV platform across brands...  look at the Equinox/Torrent, Trailblazer/Envoy/umpteen other siblings  and the Tahoe/Yukon, to name a few...

180331[/snapback]

Rainier > Aspen

9-7x > Aspen

Bravada > Aspen

mostly because

Trailblazer > Durango

The exterior doesn't look bad to me, it's the interior that just doens't do it. The Wood, or at least the color of the wood, does not belong with that color of interior. The design is bland. And as far as the center stack issues, I don't see how 3 black boxes look nice while a lot of the GM center stacks are frowned upon. I guess that's one opinion I just don't get.

Oh, and the GMT900 steering wheels look a lot better than the Aspen's steering wheel.

Edited by BuddyP

Rainier > Aspen

9-7x > Aspen

Bravada > Aspen

mostly because

Trailblazer > Durango

180627[/snapback]

Trailblazer and it's clones > Durango? Yeah ok...on what planet. The with teh exception of maybe the 9x7, they have god aweful interiors, exteriors with odd proportions (especially as 7 seaters), sloppy handling and sloppy build quality. Not to mention it's a gear short.

Anyway, defend to the death the GMT-900's are better, and I'll agree. But to say the Aspen is so much worse because of what it is, is just stupid. You also can't just say that it will have horrible build quality just because the pre 2007 Durangos do. If you've noticed on the Durango's refresh, it's build quality is much better than the older ones. For example the panel gaps between the bumpers are much smaller than they used to be. You can't base build quality on pictures, especially since in those pictures the build quality looks good. Materials are also something you can't make a complete judgement on by a picture. Go sit in one and poke around it, then if you say the materials and build quality is bad I'll be more inclined to believe you.

The Aspen and Durango also get safety upgrades aswell as a hybrid (at least teh Durango) soon, so they'll be competetive.

Aspen certainly won't set sales on fire, but it will attract it's own set of buyers. It doesnt have to be a runaway sales success and I doubt Chrysler expects it to be. But it gives people who are looking at a Durango another option.

And one last thing. I'm defending this thing not because I'm a Chrysler fan, but because most of you guys are knocking this thing like it's some sort of horrible sin and that no other company has done something like this before. That's BS and you all know it. I think the GMT-900s are better, but I don't think the Aspen and Durango are the pieces of $h! you make them out to be either.

Edited by Dodgefan

I don't think the Aspen and Durango are the pieces of $h! you make them out to be either.

180637[/snapback]

The pre-2007 Durangos are unmitigated $h! and the marketplace reflects that. If the changes are that significant for this model year, I'll acknowledge that, but the looks are still woeful. As for as making determinations, I'm basing them on Durangos I've been in and the general state of Chryslers as a whole. I'd be surprised if the Aspen blows away my preconceptions and sadly for Chrysler, I don't see the Aspen being around for more than one model cycle. The market is not there to support it.

The Sebring's interior is bright, elegant, and just all-around pleasant to look at. Unfortunately. the Aura's interior is equally attractive, and it's much better looking on the outside. The Sebring's exterior is f'n hideous; it looks like they pasted 10-year-old Mercedes styling cues onto an oversized Saturn ION. That black graphic on the C-pillar is awful.

Rainier > Aspen

9-7x > Aspen

Bravada > Aspen

mostly because

Trailblazer > Durango

180627[/snapback]

You're kidding right? The Bravada is dead. The Trailblazer and Envoy have horrid interiors, ancient four speed automatics and as has been said - look awkward at best in the extended length versions. Only the SAAB got away with an ok interior. But it is a joke as a SAAB.

The Durango hasn't been a sales succes because of the styling - which took a nose dive three years ago when they redesigned it. The engine line up is strong (even if it does drink gas) and it has a good five speed automatic. The interior was full of hard plastics - yes - but so were the last generation Tahoe's and Yukons that were just replaced. The Durango and now Aspen are onve of the only solid rear axle SUVs to offer fold flat third row and the size of the truck is a nice compromise. I predict sales will not drop as much as expected with the new facelift. Remember that the Durango and Aspen will get the same dual mode hybrid transmission that the Tahoe and Yukon are slated to get. This will help sales as well.

The Aspen has more differntiation than a Denali and Yukon - so I see it as rather hypcritcal to mock DCX for bringing this thing to market. If gas were $2.00/gallon they would sell tons of these things and we would have reason to worry. Right now the GMT-900s better gas mileage is our biggest asset.

Difference between Tahoe and Denali:

Headlights

Grill

Tailights

Six Speed Auto

6.2L V8

Wheels

Interior trim

Difference between Durango and Aspen:

Headlights

Grill

Tailights

Front and rear quarter panels

Hood

Wheels

No engine differentiation - but Durango already offers top engine while Tahoe does not.

Different Dash board

All that said, I would still rather have a Denali over the Aspen - but I think much too much mockery is being made of this truck. The Aspen will be cheaper than the Denali and there is a market for Chrysler customer's who want a full size SUV to park next to their Town and Country minivan.

Edited by boblutzfan

The pre-2007 Durangos are unmitigated $h! and the marketplace reflects that. If the changes are that significant for this model year, I'll acknowledge that, but the looks are still woeful. As for as making determinations, I'm basing them on Durangos I've been in and the general state of Chryslers as a whole. I'd be surprised if the Aspen blows away my preconceptions and sadly for Chrysler, I don't see the Aspen being around for more than one model cycle. The market is not there to support it.

180643[/snapback]

I contend that they didn't sell well due to the terrible front end styling (which was fixed for 2007). My uncle has a 2005 Durango SLT with the HEMI and it has been a perfectly trouble free vehicle. He has about 30,000 miles on it. The only thing he hasn't like is the gas mileage. He averages about 13 in combined city highway driving.

He bought it for the HEMI and clever interior packaging (folding third row). He has a boat that he tows with it.

No one is going to buy the Aspen. The Durango its based on its pretty inferior in many regards, not the least of which are pretty lackluster build quality and pathetic fuel economy; I've heard of Hemis averaging 9-10mpg in mixed driving.

A different dashboard cover and some trim changes. Great. Where's the real luxury? It isn't there. I'll bet you can get exactly the same features on a Durango. Look at the HVAC outlets - clanky and cheaply-cut. Look at the glovebox latch - possibly the most flimsy part of any Chrysler product. Same monchromatic interior, too. As for exterior differentiation, at least the old Yukon Denali was a handsome product. Chrysler styling cues are horribly grafted onto an already unattractive and bloated body. It doesn't even look like a proper Chrysler.

For what it is, its still pretty lousy. In comparison to the other quality SUVs out there, its at a loss. And as for what it brings to Chrysler, I don't see what exactly.

180619[/snapback]

The Durango is inferior. And I'm sure your evaluation is based upon extensive test drives, right?

I've found the Durango to be a pretty nice piece.....in ride, handling, and overall refinement. Even my friend's base, 2WD, 3.7L V6 is a competent piece.

Build quality and fit-and-finish in any Durango I've been in seems quite nice.....even if materials are lacking a bit....

Additionally, the Aspens I was in at the auto show DID have soft-touch plastics on the dash in areas that the Durango doesn't.....

Calling it "pretty lousy" doesn't lend you all that much credibility......if you don't like it....just SAY you don't like it.....

Rainier > Aspen

9-7x > Aspen

Bravada > Aspen

mostly because

Trailblazer > Durango

180627[/snapback]

I'd take a Durango anyday over a TrailBlazer.....

Yes I would....

I've spent plenty of time in both.....Dodge did a nice job with their latest generation SUV.

TrailBlazer's interior is a joke compared to the Dodge's.....even with the Dodge's inferior hard plastics.

The Durango is inferior.  And I'm sure your evaluation is based upon extensive test drives, right?

181370[/snapback]

~250 miles in a 2005 Durango rental - ~20k miles - 4.7l V8 - right rear power window died - A/C determined its own blower speed and temp - glovebox wouldn't latch adn rattled the entire ride - nosedived with moderate braking, wallowed over everything - mostly interstate driving yielded 12-13mpg.

I think the only SUV I've felt less comfortable in was a '96 Blazer and that was because it felt like it was going to tumble over on every corner.

All that, by the way, is beyond the absolutely appalling exterior styling. I don't like that, and I've admitted as much.

Remember, the Aspen is a 'new' Chrysler product, one of these stunning, take-no-prisoners examples of premium American luxury. I just feel most of these gee-whiz Chrysler as of late are more flash than anything.

~250 miles in a 2005 Durango rental - ~20k miles

181373[/snapback]

The rental part might have been your problem. I travel for business frequently and one of my favorite rentals is the new Impala. However, I have been in some that are in horrible shape - just six weeks ago in a 2006 model that was in terrible shape. The power seat didn't work and many trim pieces were loose or out of place. I know that rentals are treated worse than any other car in the industry - people treat them poorly because they "aren't theirs".

The Aspen isn't that bad of an example of a luxury SUV.

I contend that the only thing the Aspen really has going against it is $3.00/gallon gas. It may not be as good as the GMT-900 in some areas - but it is better in others. The GMT-900s will sell better because of the early market introduction this past winter and their overall control of the segment - but the Aspen will find buyers and isn't the sh!t box many are claiming it to be.

Anyone see the latest issue of Automobile yet? There's a nice pair of Sebring drawings (from 2002) in a fold-out poster/advertising section, worth a look. Nice article.

The Aspen is to Durango as Acura SLX is to Isuzu Trooper.

181462[/snapback]

More like GMC Yukon SLT or Denali to a Chevy Tahoe LT! :AH-HA_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

The Aspen and Durango are among the worst examples of badge enginering in a long time. Maybe the folks at Chrysler are looking to go retro back to the 80s when they had a ton of cars based on a few designs (K Cars etc)

The Chrysler should have gotten a whole new dash, and enough new body panals that people wouldnt mistake it for a Durango. I saw on of these at the NYIAS and I think its the poorest use of the Chrysler name in years.