Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

CONCEPT: Honda Step Bus

Flybrian

Press Release

HONDA RUINS LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW WITH STEP BUS CONCEPT

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 29, 2006 – Designed around city nightlife and high energy lifestyles, the Honda Step Bus Concept represents the ultimate expression of Honda packaging prowess with a mid-engine design and a fully maximized and quickly adaptable interior.

The highly configurable, high-tech interior provides ultimate urban utility from the outside in. Sliding front doors with a space efficient design let people enter and exit in tight spaces. Although micro in exterior size, the cavernous interior can harbor large amounts of band equipment, sports gear and other bulky items.

“Following the traditional Honda theme of ‘man maximum, machine minimum,’ the Step Bus seeks to create the largest possible interior with the smallest possible exterior,” said John Mendel, senior vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. “This innovative concept vehicle shows how large functionality can easily exist within small vehicle packages.”

The Step Bus Concept is a product of the Honda R&D Co., Ltd., Wako design center in Saitama prefecture, Japan. Purely a styling concept, the vehicle uses a mid-engine, rear wheel drive platform with a small displacement power plant. The 5-passenger interior features modular construction with a spacious interior. The modular construction is highlighted by tracks in the door that can hold beverage containers, cell phones and more. Advanced technology includes a next-generation navigation system. The tall body provides room for a ceiling-mounted storage tray. Painted in light green metallic, the body design embraces a bold vertical architecture style that creates a large presence within a small space.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Press Release

Honda starting new brand to target youth market

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 29, 2006 – Citing the success of Toyota's Scion division, Honda announced they are starting a new brand to target the youth market. The division will sell mainly appliance looking vehicles to 70 year olds hoping to feel young.

The new brand's name will be called Oster.

The new brand will debut with a single model called the 4-Slice. :see photo: With 4-Slice Broiler Convertible, 6-Slice, and MixMaster models following rapidly. The MixMaster is an innovative vehicle with multiple antenna on the roof twirling rapidly.

Consumer Reports has already rated these future vehicles a "Best Buy".

New Brand Logo:

Posted Image

Oster 4-slice concept:

Posted Image

Edited by Oldsmoboi

There seems to be a pattern in concept design.

American cars tend to actually look good.

Japanese cars tend to look really stupid.

221681[/snapback]

More like Japanese concepts tend to be more radical, but the production versions always are toned down, while American concepts tend to not be so radical, and the production versions tend to be closer.

I think a big reason for this is because companies like Honda let their engineers and designers really do what they want, they don't restrict them or hold them down with regulations as much. Maybe this is because Honda is lead by engineers and not businessmen?

I think a big reason for this is because companies like Honda let their engineers and designers really do what they want, they don't restrict them or hold them down with regulations as much. Maybe this is because Honda is lead by engineers and not businessmen?

221710[/snapback]

What's to hold down or restrict?! It's a box!... With dinky wheels!...

I drew cars when I was 5 years old and they looked like this.

OMFG! How could you keep a straight face while showing that thing to the world?

I cracked-up within milliseconds of laying eyes on it.

Can they really be serious? :blink:

221812[/snapback]

Well, Nissan built the Cube and Toyota built the bB/xB..this is no more outrageous than them...

What a piece of $hit Scion BoX wannabe... :blink:

Mid engined? Should be about as safe as the Previa. :rolleyes:

More like Japanese concepts tend to be more radical, but the production versions always are toned down, while American concepts tend to not be so radical, and the production versions tend to be closer.

221710[/snapback]

Dude, lay off the crack pipe... seriously. :wink:

That is one of the most eroneous generalizations I've ever heard.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

221710[/snapback]

Yeah... because FWD four cylinder cars with bland styling

are the stuff of automotive wet dreams. <_<

BTW Oldsmoboi:

Oster brand toasters are much more appealing ot the

eye than this computer tower with rollerskate wheels.

Well, Nissan built the Cube and Toyota built the bB/xB..this is no more outrageous than them...

221815[/snapback]

The all-time winner of automotive design rediculousness goes to Toyota for the POD concept.

Edit: A link for the uninitiated:

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/Toyo.../toyota_pod.htm

Edited by aaaantoine

My post was pretty bad, now that I read it again. :AH-HA_wink:

I wrote that at work and it's around 20° (F) with no insulation in the old building. I may have been a little out of it. I can't really remember my train of thought.

As far as the type of vehicle, it would fit right in overseas in Asia. Smaller odd looking vehicles like this are very common. Honda alone has like 4 or 5 different smallish minivan/van type vehicles already.

Compared to this the xB is not that bad.

this has to be a parody of some sort

221677[/snapback]

Nope. And to add to my other comment that this would fit right in over in Japan:

Honda Zest

Honda That's

Honda Life

Honda Mobilio

Honda Fit

And on the slightly larger side:

Honda Edix

Honda Stream

Honda Airwave

That's not even counting the 5 or 6 models of small utility vans they make. Size efficiency is very important over there, which is why there are so many van/hatch type vehicles.

I don't see this Step Bus ever being made here, it's too small. It is just a design concept after all. Looks like it has a lot of space for it's small exterior size. It is MR, which is why the front is so squished.

And on the slightly larger side:

Honda Edix

Honda Stream

Honda Airwave

222367[/snapback]

Those 3 look kinda cool, actually. When I first looked at the Edix, I thought "that looks like a neat sporty Matrix-type vehicle. That could do well over here!"

Posted Image

Then I clicked on a link to an interior shot, and saw the 3 bucket seats across, and thought "holy cow, that's awesome... but that must be an awfully wide car. Still, that'd be sweet to have over here..."

Posted Image

"nevermind"

Posted Image

Edited by PurdueGuy

Those 3 look kinda cool, actually.  When I first looked at the Edix, I thought "that looks like a neat sporty Matrix-type vehicle.  That could do well over here!"

Then I clicked on a link to an interior shot, and saw the 3 bucket seats across, and thought "holy cow, that's awesome... but that must be an awfully wide car.  Still, that'd be sweet to have over here..."

"nevermind"

222686[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm afraid it's probably only wide enough for two American-width bucket seats.. maybe the 'Fit' should have been called the 'Fat' for the US... :)

Yeah, I'm afraid it's probably only wide enough for two American-width bucket seats.. maybe the 'Fit' should have been called the 'Fat' for the US... :)

222713[/snapback]

"For the American's on-the-go McDonald's eating lifestyle!"

This is pretty interesting though. I really like the front middle bucket seat design, and how it folds over into a normal arm rest/storage area.

Posted Image

The future isn't necessarily going to be pretty, I'm afraid.

222682[/snapback]

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=13848

"For the American's on-the-go McDonald's eating lifestyle!"

This is pretty interesting though. I really like the front middle bucket seat design, and how it folds over into a normal arm rest/storage area.

Posted Image

222720[/snapback]

It's designed to compete with the Mazda5, Opel Zafira and the similar 2-row Fiat Multipla, replacing the pevious, more MPV-like Stream in Europe. It was a little wider than the standard European 3-row C-MPV, the Opel Zafira, but all the new models (2nd gen Zafira, Scenic, C4 Picasso, Kia Rondo etc.) are now wider

The Airwave/Partner is effectively the Fit station wagon, competing with Toyota's Succeed and Probox, as much for the sales rep/merchandiser market (loaded with slabs of Coke cans or cardboard sales displays etc.) as the consumer market.

If this Step Bus (evoking the midsize StepWgn) reminds me of anything though it Toyota's subcompact Porte van (a Mobilio competitor).

that thing... made my brain melt...

but then when someone posted the link to the "POD"... im pretty sure my head exploded

what is the world comming to? getting rid of our precious decklids wasnt enough? now they want to take away the hood?

I've decided that the design of these cars... is intended to cause cranial explosions in automotive enthusiasts... thus getting rid of anyone who cares about the experience of driving... and allowing Toyota and Honda to take over the world