FIRST LOOK: DCX Minivans

Flybrian

While they may not be drop dead gorgeous, what minivan is, these somehow manage to look more upscale and have a pretty impressive feature list plus that new 4.0 V6 and 6 speed auto which should give these a much needed power boost. Kudos for Chrysler for not dishing out a boring slab sided jelly bean with no trim or style. These should do pretty well. It's sad but I look at these as better efforts than the 2008 Malibu!

Edited by ponchoman49

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's sad but I look at these as better efforts than the 2008 Malibu!

Look at what else Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep has come out with in the last year or two. Caliber, Aspen, Compass, Sebring, Avenger; some definite $h!mobiles. Take what GM's done in the same amount of time and compare it (Malibu, Acadia, Aura, Sky, Solstice, Outlook, GMT900s, etc.). Don't just compare the Malibu to the Caravan 1:1. Edited by NOS2006

You guys were expecting style? This is a Minivan, after all.

Personally, I think it looks rather like a curvier Jeep Commander. Those features sound nice and all, but it would still not be enough to entice me back into the Chrysler fold, especially considering that the "new" 6-speed Automatic is basically the same old nightmarish 4-speed with two extra cogs. So long as that transmission or its decendants is in the Chrysler stable, I'm staying away.

Design thesis from Dr. Z on the new Grand Caravan: "Vhat I vant is for zee to take einen new Zeebring and asshend eet mit einen Durango und zee vhat you get..."

All kidding asside - they look like they will sell - They are both clean and somewhat attractive. With the initial lists of options at a hopefully attractive price, they will probably sell each and every one.

Not that I am a huge minivan fan...but I really can see why people buy these things!

I just don't understand why Gm is giving up on this segment. They now have finally a great platform for this type of vehicle (lambdas) 6 speed trans 3.6 HF.....I just don't get it.

It seems like they have everything there that they would need for a good if not great minivan, and they just give up!

As I indicated, I had a hunch they had a trick up their sleeve: killer interior feature.

http://www.km77.com/marcas/chrysler/2007/voyager/gra/36.asp

You have to give DCX credit, minivan fan or not.

c|d

It's not a completely original idea (some 6 years ago now, I had wanted to put a table in my dad's 72 Chevy Van), but I think this may be the first production stab at it.

Originally Posted by starlightmica

From the Popular Mechanics article that was briefly posted on the web, thanks to Google Cache:

2008 Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country

From the folks who started it all, here's the latest version of soccer mom's prime transport, the 2008 version of the Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country. Both vehicles are new in design inside and out, and share almost all features except for differences in front end and rear styling.

An industry sales leader since its introduction in 1983, the Dodge/Chrysler minivan for 2008 reveals its confidence in the future of its model segment with the addition of a number of innovative convenience items. Inside the cabin, new swivel seats in the second row can be turned to face the third row, creating a conversation area for those occupants. Add a table to the grouping and you have a desktop play/study center.

Outside, the body panels are all new and create a different shape—more boxy—to the profile. Front-end styling is all new too, but the two models stay true to their heritage. Dodge continues with the cross-hair theme in its grille, while Chrysler's front end offers an updated appearance similar to those seen in Aspen, Sebring and its own minivan predecessors.

Minivans are nothing but adaptable, offering multiple choices in interior arrangements and functional assists. Among those (many optional) in the Dodge/Chrysler lineup are:

• Power first and second row windows (Yes, half way down for second row.).

• Five models, Town & Country's LX, Touring and Limited and Grand Caravan's SE and SXT. No mention is made of short wheelbase models in either lineup.

• Powertrain lineup includes a 4.0-liter and 3.8-liter V6's mated to 6-speed transmissions and a 3.3-liter V6 (flex fuel capable) with a 4-speed. All transmissions are automatic.

• Power sliding doors and power liftgate, plus power folding third row seats.

• Dual and tri-zone heating and cooling, heated seats, sliding and removable center console with deep pocket, movable reading lamps and cloth or leather upholstery.

• Second- and third-row (new) fold-in-the-floor seats, or storage bins for both when seats are not stowed.

Safety continues as a major required feature of any minivan, and Chrysler offers side curtain air bags and stability control plus brake assist as part of its standard safety equipment.

There are some nice pictures on carspyshots.net. Can't wait to see more pictures.

If I had kids, my inclination would be towards a wagon (something like a Volvo XC70), but I can understand the appeal of minivans...they make more sense than SUVs for most families--they have a lot more usable space inside for hauling people and stuff, the sliding doors are practical, etc...

Cold on the heels of the Sebring crapcake and Compass abominations, the exterior design sucks, and why is the K-Car-era 3.3-liter V-6 still here? At least they finally ditched the 4-cylinder engine, which should have died with the first generation in 1995, and hopefully the Caravan SE's black bumpers die too. I like the current models (except the Caravan SE), but the equipment needs to be jacked up significantly, and hopefully it has the same or more passenger and cargo room than now, because its near top of the class and I hope it stays that way for the only good domestic minivans.

If I had kids, my inclination would be towards a wagon (something like a Volvo XC70), but I can understand the appeal of minivans...they make more sense than SUVs for most families--they have a lot more usable space inside for hauling people and stuff, the sliding doors are practical, etc...

Wagons are grea, but none of them today have enough seats. I would give anything to have the modern equivelant of my mom's good old Century Estate Wagon with seating for 6 (Chevy, how about a Malibu wagon, real wagon?). Problem with today's wagons is that if you have two kids, you can't take anyone else but the family along.

The Lambdas have the seating, but I'm assuming that the middle seat has to be split/hinged forward to access the rearmost seat - which means you can't put a carseat in that position - which results in having to put the carseats in the third row and climbing back there with two kids each time you want to go somewhere. With a minivan with sliding doors, you can have kids in car seats in the middle (and not have to crawl or crouch to get them there) and still have an occasional 3rd row to take other folks along.

Cold on the heels of the Sebring crapcake and Compass abominations, the exterior design sucks, and why is the K-Car-era 3.3-liter V-6 still here? At least they finally ditched the 4-cylinder engine, which should have died with the first generation in 1995, and hopefully the Caravan SE's black bumpers die too. I like the current models (except the Caravan SE), but the equipment needs to be jacked up significantly, and hopefully it has the same or more passenger and cargo room than now, because its near top of the class and I hope it stays that way for the only good domestic minivans.

Actually I think the van looks very nice. Check out these pictures:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-...and-country-1/

In these images you can clearly see that there are two second row seating options. In the image that shows the mirror for watching the rear of the van it shows the standard sto-n-go second row seats. These are very different from the plush seats that can turn around and face the rear. Yet, in the picture that shows one seat facing forward and one facing rearward - you can still see the bin for the second row seats. I suspect that Chrysler is going to give us the option of these plush second row seats that can rotate or sto-n-go as I doubt the bigger chairs will fit in the floor. The nice thing is that when you option for the second row rotating captains chairs - you still get the storage bins in the second row - very clever. I suspect this will find lots of takers as many people would rather have the more comfortable second row seats if they aren't home depot junkies...

Concerning the 3.3L V6 - it is a fine motor and a good one for the base engine. The 3.8L is far superior to the 3.3L as it has loads more torque. The good news is that the 3.8L and 4.0L will both be available with the new six speed automatic transmission. I can't wait to see this in the flesh. I suspect these will be big sellers for DCX.

The new interior options, powertrain and styling should keep this at the top of the minivan class for some time.

The Lambdas have the seating, but I'm assuming that the middle seat has to be split/hinged forward to access the rearmost seat - which means you can't put a carseat in that position - which results in having to put the carseats in the third row and climbing back there with two kids each time you want to go somewhere. With a minivan with sliding doors, you can have kids in car seats in the middle (and not have to crawl or crouch to get them there) and still have an occasional 3rd row to take other folks along.

The car seat issue is one I hadn't thought of. With an 18 month old daughter and another child within the year - that would make a Lambda vehicle very inconvenient. That issue alone may push me out of a Lambda and back to a minivan.

I guess GM designed the Lambda platform for grown up families - not one with car seats that need to use a third row. How many people will purchase a Lambda without thinking through this scenario? They will be sorry.

Whoa! Cool interiors and great features...instant hit.

Would this not have been the perfect oportunity to bring back the pushbutton transmissions from the 60's since the whole retro thing is in? Paddle shifters on the wheel for the autostick varients? Otherwise, neat features and great packaging. Makes up for the meh exteriors!

I can see why this segment is dying - noone even tries to make a good looking minivan anymore.

Those that try fail because Soccer Moms want something that looks like a lunchbox on wheels.

Look no further than the cerrent gen Quest (about as hadnsome as a Minivan has gotten) and

the old '88-'96 dustbusters which were VERY sporty looking IMHO. Both were failures when

compared to this horrid lookign thing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those that try fail because Soccer Moms want something that looks like a lunchbox on wheels.

Look no further than the cerrent gen Quest (about as hadnsome as a Minivan has gotten) and

the old '88-'96 dustbusters which were VERY sporty looking IMHO. Both were failures when

Posted Image

Posted Image

GM and Nissan tried to be different and failed. Only Honda, Toyota and now KIA were smart enough to copy the Chrysler formula and have found success. The new DCX vans look to be winners and will undoubtedly retain their #1 spot on the sales charts.

What happened to the "Expressive style, as used on the LX cars" part of the new minivans?!?!?!

Hell, I think the last RE-FRESH was more exciting than these.

This is a minivan - not a sports sedan. The style is on the inside - which by the way is very dramatic. They thought of everything. Kudos to Chrysler on the interior. Can't wait to see one in person.

Well, after the 'minivans suck' torrent, check out the feature list. Seems nice. Rumor also says AWD may return even with Stow'n'Go.

I like them.....! Especially that D-pillar.....

The Chrysler even has a hint of "Honda Odyssey" in it......

The 4.0L powertrain ought to be class-competitive.....

NOW....let's hope they don't share interior materials with the trucks.......

Ironically, this dash/door panel layout looks to be more plush than even the 300's interior.....

Well, the blockiness works for a van because its more utilitarian.

I like it. Nice interior, which is what counts. No one buys a van because it visually attractive. Everytime I see a Sedona I want to yak all over my dashboard, but that's not the point.

OK....just saw the interior pics......

Very nice....! With a hint of 300 in the instrument cluster and center stack.

Ironically, this dash/door panel layout looks to be more plush than even the 300's interior.....

Agreed that the interior looks better than the current 300 interior. But remember that an updated 2008 300 is due this summer/fall with an upgraded interior - supposedly with more soft touch materials than the current car. I suspect that the two (Town & Country and 300) shared in teh development of these new more upscale interiors.

Remember - the minivan is Chrysler's bread and butter vehicle - they will not let us down - expect an upgrade similar to what GM did with their GMT-900 SUVs. The Caliber and Sebring are not the standard for Chrysler's most popular vehicles - minivans and 300.

The interior features are amazing. Power-stowing Stow 'n Go?!? Pop-up picnic table w/swiveling chairs? That's something our old Ram conversion van had. I'm still not completely sold on the exterior, but it's the interior that separates the good minivans from the great minivans, and Chrysler has a great one on their hands. Well done, Chrysler (wow...we haven't been able to say that recently about Chrysler products, have we? :lol:).

I don't think Chrysler would let itself (regardless of its new homeland) bumble their gravy train.

The only thing I've found that I don't care for are the ceiling air vents, they look much cheaper than the elongated versions found on the 1996-2000 models (which are my favourite so far).

Wonder what the VW version would be like... :scratchchin:

Well, if it has the same features but a better interior (I see a sea of plastic, and no soft-touch material save the steering wheel and seat), it would probably be a pretty damn nice minivan. It'd probably also be a pretty damn expensive minivan (like, maybe $50k for a 3.6 Quattro with all the bells and whistles?).

I don't think Chrysler would let itself (regardless of its new homeland) bumble their gravy train.

The only thing I've found that I don't care for are the ceiling air vents, they look much cheaper than the elongated versions found on the 1996-2000 models (which are my favourite so far).

The round ones are much easier to direct air flow - even if they don't look as nice.

Posted Image

To call the Quest handsome and even sporty while calling the most inoffensive design horrid make me question your sense of style dude :P

Anyway I just looked at edmunds and saw pics...the exteriors aren't mind blowing, though I think I prefer the Dodge...but the interiors are incredible design and feature wise (and the dashes aren't bad either...that wheel looks nice!) That swiveling chairs and table option is awesome...and best of all...they aren't gray interiors! These are sure to be a home run for DCX. I even like teh fake wood and metal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wonder how the table stows away?

Edited by Dodgefan

Anyway I just looked at edmunds and saw pics...the exteriors aren't mind blowing, though I think I prefer the Dodge...but the interiors are incredible design and feature wise (and the dashes aren't bad either...that wheel looks nice!) That swiveling chairs and table option is awesome...and best of all...they aren't gray interiors! These are sure to be a home run for DCX. I even like teh fake wood and metal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wonder how the table stows away?

Probably in the bin that would have been used by the second row sto-n-go seats - as the swivel seats do not use that bin.

Edited by boblutzfan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I do like the front end of the Dodge - but it looks like the Dodge will have cheaper headlights without the fancy HID projector lamps of the Chrysler TC. I guess that was part of their plan to make them more unique. I prefer the clean look of the Chrysler dash - the Dodge has too much black plastic for my taste. And I wonder why they left the void where the clock goes in the TC? It looks unfinished.

Also, the door pull on the T&C has a nice sublte curve to it and I like the way it is set off with the metallic trim. The dodge door panel looks very plain and borring.

Edited by boblutzfan

Posted Image

Eventually they're just going to incorporate the gear selector into the passenger side airbag cover. Seriously Chrysler, in a vehicle like this, just bring back the push-button transmission, add steering wheel TAPshift for your Caravan "sport" model, and market the hell out of it as either a blast from the past or bold new design. A row of buttons where you put the gear selector would have looked attractive instead of the dumbness that you put there.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Well, if it has the same features but a better interior (I see a sea of plastic, and no soft-touch material save the steering wheel and seat), it would probably be a pretty damn nice minivan. It'd probably also be a pretty damn expensive minivan (like, maybe $50k for a 3.6 Quattro with all the bells and whistles?).

How do you know? (It's probable they're a lot of hard plastic, but not impossible their could be soft surfaces)

well, that dash is not SLEEK. Its quite blocky. the tall center part is kind of grotesque in its erection like posture. The shifter hanging off the dash is ridiculous. It should be located as where Toyota and Kia have them located.

Its absurd to raise the stack that high and then have those tall vents in the middle where the radio and climate controls should be, higher up. Why are they so low?

It looks cushy though. And they seem to have retained interior innovation. Again, for all those who say Lambdas can substitute for a van, here again is proof as to why they can't and why you are stupid. Minivans are all about this sort of function and volume.

Its hard to say if the press will roast these. The 4.0l 6 speed powertrain is quite good for this sort of vehicle (I've driven it). Styling is too conservative IMHO, but at least does not look cheap inside.

you would all be amazed at how women tingle in the mid section when they see folding seats and power sliding doors and hatches.

Edited by regfootball