First Look: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP

But do you like the 'Fast and Furious' movies? :) I think Pontiac is going after the 'tuner' crowd with this car...

I watched the 2nd one. It was alright. Nothing special beyond the cool Camaro and Challenger. I see your point, but I don't know how many people Pontiac is targeting will pick this over Civic Si's...I wouldn't.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a reason Pontiac feels they need to do this: Saturn. Saturn is the now upscale version of a Chevy that Pontiac used to be. Since GM is 100% behind Saturn right now, Pontiac has to go to these outrageous extremes to look more sporty than a Chevrolet or Saturn. The did this when Oldsmobile moved into their market area with the Alero and Intrigue. The last generation Grand Am and Grand Prix results from this competition as Pontiac added spoilers and hood stops to look different. The same thing is happening again with Saturn. Saturn is the sophisticated Opel clone and Pontiac has to do something, ANYTHING, to stand out and matter to GM. The understand looks of the GTO and original G6 did not work well for Pontiac, so this is the result.

Mark

There's a reason Pontiac feels they need to do this: Saturn. Saturn is the now upscale version of a Chevy that Pontiac used to be. Since GM is 100% behind Saturn right now, Pontiac has to go to these outrageous extremes to look more sporty than a Chevrolet or Saturn. The did this when Oldsmobile moved into their market area with the Alero and Intrigue. The last generation Grand Am and Grand Prix results from this competition as Pontiac added spoilers and hood stops to look different. The same thing is happening again with Saturn. Saturn is the sophisticated Opel clone and Pontiac has to do something, ANYTHING, to stand out and matter to GM. The understand looks of the GTO and original G6 did not work well for Pontiac, so this is the result.

Mark

I see your point, which is why I hope Pontiac gets some RWD vehicles soon. That is what will make it stand out, and with RWD cars in it's lineup it will have no trouble standing out from the other brands. However, for now Pontiac has crap...and now it has crap with a big, stupid spoiler. Oh and a couple Chevy rebadges. The RWD cars can't come soon enough.

Their saving grace is the Solstice, it may not be a volume leader but it's the only thing keeping the image alive.

Edited by Dodgefan

I watched the 2nd one. It was alright. Nothing special beyond the cool Camaro and Challenger. I see your point, but I don't know how many people Pontiac is targeting will pick this over Civic Si's...I wouldn't.

True enough...I'd like to see a comparison test between this and the Civic Si...the Si seems like a pretty slick package..

True enough...I'd like to see a comparison test between this and the Civic Si...the Si seems like a pretty slick package..

I Think the Si (coupe) is more attractive, and the spoiler is less tacky. It's dash is a little strange but looks better quality than the G6. It has less horsepower but it weighs less too. Plus ithas the Si sedan as an option. I don't like the sedan at all but giving the consumer an option of the more practical vehicle with the goods the coupe has is such a nice thing. I wish other automakers world do that (Mazadaspeed3).

To all those who have been B!tching that the never seen G8 is going to be too plain and not dramtic enough. Becareful of what you wish for as you.

might get it.

I will be the first to admit this car is not my cup of tea but please there are many cars from Japan that are much worse and way overstyled.

Same goes for the Torrent as it could have been a Element, Caliper or Scion box.

Is the G6 GXP may not be the best looking but it is far from the worse.

Just relax as the G6 is not going to be around forever and we may get a RWD replacment if all goes well.

As far as from what I have seen on the web Pontiac can't win as they either are blaimed of being too plain or too much in the styling department.

We just need to let Pontiac find a new stlyling direction and move on. The 60's are over and I don't believe we are going to see any birds on the hood in the near future.

At this point I don't like the G numbers but there is too much baggage with the old names and old timers expectationd to relive the past.

Pontiacs Saturn like make over has not even started so we just need to let GM get the Funding and new platforms in place and it will work out in the end. The new G8 will let us know were they are going. If the new styling is boring for you just think of the G6 GXP.

Sorry for the vent but I am tired of the too much or not enough complaints on Pontiac. It is time they win new buyers and things need to be different. The old ways are not working anymore. We are going to get som misses but the hits will come. The G6 was a program patched up by Lutz at a time he had little money. Once the funding became available the Aura and Malibu prove what can and will be done in the future.

Wow, this thing is terrible looking...particularly the front. Seems more like the "Pep Boys Edition" than GXP. All the plastic cladding on Pontiacs from the 90s suddenly looks tasteful.

They need to add the bug bunny badge from the old Chevy Venture Warner Bros Edition...THEN it would be complete!

ya, the street edition is fugly, but remember, there is a base version GXP that comes un-fugified.

I'm pretty sure the base one will still have that fugly grille, which is my biggest gripe.

I'd still take the GTP over this one. Same car, less weight without the unnecessary parts, and it has the original clean look.

I like that "It does not fit Pontiac's Image".

Try to get 10 people in a room and all agree to what Pontiac's image is today. That is not happening and may be part of the problem.

Could it be time to start with a new image just as they did in 1959, 1963 and 1968?

Marketing need to do it's work and work with the designers.

Who in their right mind gave this thing the go-ahead? Pontiac hasn't outdone themselves like this since the Aztec appeared! What is wrong with people's common sense? Did they design this thing in the dark? It looks like a Lego project gone bad... like they had to make an entire car with only half the parts.

Nobody can see out the back window of a 2-door G6 to begin with - forget the damned spoiler! Jeesh... people who can afford a GXP will not be hormonally challenged, drag-racing 17 year olds!!

Come to think of it, I don't think any 17 year olds would want to be seen driven to school. Love the "buck tooth" comments !!!

C'mon Pontiac. Get your act together. Glad I'm sellin' Chevys!

Janette

:pokeowned:

Everyone's problem is the spoiler, which is neither here nor there to me. You guys either just plain don't like spoilers, or the fact that the more ostentatious kind were a trend people threw onto 90s Japanese cars. Basically your Internet-hyperbole-fueled biases are overcoming you all.

I just personally wish it was the 4-door instead of the 2-door, and that it either keep the normal grille or went with headlights to match. I have no problem with the Ram Air hood (as long as it's functional)...and just like with the Cobalt SS, I can take or leave the wing, but at least in both cases they made one that worked for the car (for someone, anyway)

Props to hyperv6 for being a voice of reason in this thread also....and inspiring this add-on edit.

Edited by LosAngeles

When the G6 came out I thought... wow, Pontiac can make pretty cars once again. The G6 was clean, sleek and handsome looking. Interior quality was still lacking as was the 3.5 and 3.9 L pushrod clunkers. But, GM seems to be getting on the ball with interior quality and styling -- the GMT900s were good, the Malibu was better and I think the new Caddys and Buicks may have a chance at matching Toyota and Honda grades. And, the 3.6 is now available.

When the orange G6 GXP concept came out, I thought thats neat -- slightly beefier front fascia, clean muscular looks. If they would put in the 3.6 DOHC or better yet a 300hp rendition of the 2.0 LNF it will be a genuinely nice car.

Then they came up with this black, horrendously ugly thing with a Darth Vader grille and Hippopotamus Nostrils. The Firebird was a puking ugly car, flippingly tacking and extremely low quality car don't remind us of it PLEASE! Please, Pontiac you are just starting to remake yourself into a respectable marque. Don't trash it by putting out this GORGON!

Edited by dwightlooi

This is seriously the first word that came to my head when I saw pictures of this car:

monstrosity

noun

1. a person or animal that is markedly unusual or deformed [syn: freak]

2. something hideous or frightful; "they regarded the atom bomb as a monstrosity"

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University

THANK you......

I can't believe the piece of garbage they are showing us above.....(the black "street" edition G6)

Makes a joke out of the whole Pontiac image.....

I was trying to post this orange GXP at the FastLane blog and telling GM that this was what the GXP should have been, but they didn't even post my comment.

I figured where this G6 GXP came from: Pontiac designers who had a big hangover after their haloween party.

Posted Image

versus

Posted Image

Posted Image

The spoiler, from the front, is the cape. The grilles are the fangs. In the interior, all that red, is the blood.

I wouldn't be surprised if that grille is available in red.

:P

BTW, anyone notice the Pontiac website's G6 GXP picture links no longer work?

I much preferred the 5 spoke wheels on the street edition...

What is it with GM and it's wheel designers??? They ALL suck, especially on Pontiac and Cadillac vehicles. NOTE TO GM: "Sporty vehicles" does not have to equal "Gaudy Wheels with 19 spokes."

I think you got it backwards. The multi-spoke one is the wheel for the Street Edition, whereas the standard 5-spoke goes on the base.

Both of them are pathetic. Base edition is just a GTP with a tacky wing, and the Street Edition, more like Rice Edition.

It would seem that GM had a case of temporary deafness when the concept version of this rolling mistake was shown last year. The reaction all over the web was a resounding "Are you out of your mind?!!" Yet, they are going to build this hideous design failure and put a premium badge on it to boot.

Sorry Hyper, this is not a case of style vs,. style - it's bad design pure and simple.

I can't wait for the end of the G6.

Horrible, just horrible. :stupid:

Now that I have seen the car in person I really don't like it. I never really ever liked the G6 sedan either.

But to be fair though I don't like it I saw many more cars I dislike more at Detroit.

I don't expect this car to be around for a real long time as Pontiac's future is just getting ready to start in a few weeks. The G8 is only the first of many changes.

Id like to see how it would look without the shiny chrome buck teeth grille. Maybe in black or gun metal. Just less shiny.

Maybe some talented artist out there could show us how thatd look?

I dont really see that looking too bad anyway. Not nearly as bad as the photoshops that are shown most of the time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

I was kinda hoping for a 2008, it'd receive a new interior.

I think the original plan was the G6 was supposed to get an MCE in 2008, but that was cancelled, because the EPII version was shifted earlier. Not sure if that's still the plan right now, given all the talks about killing FWD.

I'm still hoping for the original concept of an AWD G6.

This big nostril G6 GXP is not only much worse looking than the Orange GXP, it is so bad looking that it stands to drag down the image and sales of other Pontiac models. I mean the very existence of this vomit inducing car in the lineup makes one feel embarrassed to own or drive Pontiac. You may drive a nice looking Solstice or a clean looking "regular" G6. But when asked what kind of car you drive you'll be reluctant to say "Pontiac" because the response may be "Oh... that car company who makes that ridiculous car with nostrils?

I like the daring grille, but its still a G6....and I don't like the G6 very much (though it does far and away have the best color selection of the Epsilon trio), and there's no way I would choose this over Malibu, Aura, or Fusion. But I just might choose it over Sebring.

I like the daring grille, but its still a G6....and I don't like the G6 very much (though it does far and away have the best color selection of the Epsilon trio), and there's no way I would choose this over Malibu, Aura, or Fusion. But I just might choose it over Sebring.

With me, it would go like this:

G6 4-door

Fusion/Aura/Sebring (tied)

Malibu Maxx

G6 2-door

Malibu sedan

I thought Chrysler division was off their rocker when I saw the Sebring in pictures, but they look great on the street. Fusion's flaw is the lack of a manually shiftable transmision, which may also be the Sebring's issue (since I haven't read what's offered) Aura's basically a nice interior with an exterior that doesn't move me that much.

I know "G6 interior sucks" and "Sebring looks like a turd" are the PC things to say on this board, but I simply beg to differ.

With me, it would go like this:

G6 4-door

Fusion/Aura/Sebring (tied)

Malibu Maxx

G6 2-door

Malibu sedan

I thought Chrysler division was off their rocker when I saw the Sebring in pictures, but they look great on the street. Fusion's flaw is the lack of a manually shiftable transmision, which may also be the Sebring's issue (since I haven't read what's offered) Aura's basically a nice interior with an exterior that doesn't move me that much.

I know "G6 interior sucks" and "Sebring looks like a turd" are the PC things to say on this board, but I simply beg to differ.

The 3.5's 6-speed has Autostick.