Guest Josh

If Zeta Came To North America Which Vehicles....?

72 posts in this topic

If Zeta were to come to North America in some form or another, which vehicles would you like to see be derived from the architecture? You only have until Model Year 2008 (so, release in late '07 at the latest). Lets hear it, and why would you do it?

How many are we allowed? AH-HA's seems about perfect if the vehicle is a sedan.

THe timetable is sale-able by MY '08. So, you figure how GM gets vehicles to production and go by what you feel is right.

Ok well since I doubt the GTO would be out by then, and probable not the Velite either: Camaro G8 Bel Air

Chevelle El Camino Invicta Bonneville (screw the G8 name, so far the Solstice and Torrent have foild Pontiac's latest move to alphanumerics) GTO or Velite If they can do a Camaro in under 3500 pounds, then add that to the list. Otherwise leave it off and wait for a "Kappa II" that'll support extended wheelbases and V8s without extensive modifications.

You only have until Model Year 2008 (so, release in late '07 at the latest).

[post="19641"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Technically, any MY08 vehicle can be sold to the public on Jan. 1, 2007, which is less than 18 months away.

He meant that the latest an 08 MY vehicle would/could be released would be late '07, not that it had to be released in late '07.

If Zeta were to come to North America in some form or another, which vehicles would you like to see be derived from the architecture?

Um.

Chevrolet Monte Carlo

(yeah, that was tough)

Chevrolet El Camino

...and why would you do it?

So I can do something I have yet to do ... buy my favorite car brand new.

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
"You've made a fool of everyone" ... Jet ... 'Look What You've Done'

Chevy HVV6/SBV8 Monte Carlo-Impala-El Camino. Pontiac HVV6/SBV8 Grand Prix-SBV8 GTO. Buick HFV6/NSV8 Regal-NSV8 VeLite aka Riviera-NSV8 Roadmaster.

Ah-ha's list is perfect. Additionally, if we could get a Buick Roadmaster sedan in by that timetable, or after that, then perfect! So my list is: Impala Camaro G8 GTO Velite Roadmaster

I know GM has worked on all these models. Business cases have been made. Development and design work has been accomplished as well. They are feasible, and if GM would stop teeter-tottering around, they could get those to us soon enough.

Riviera (Velite, but with new name) Chevelle (Impala is a sales leader as FWD...keep it as such) Camaro G8 GTO Sceptre (Buick flagship)

Let make this realistic. Release date for first vehicle in 2009. More importantly, what vehicles will the rwd replace and what will be new models with projected volumes. Build a business and not pipe dream.

Total Zeta (2009) - 250k Camaro - 75k (in effect replaces MC) Bel Air - 100k (replaces nothing, placed above Impala and may steal some Impala sales) Grand Prix/G8 - 75k (replaces current GP) Then if they meet their goals, by 2012 or thereabouts we'd have: Total Zeta - 365k Camaro - 75k (in effect replaces MC) Bel Air - 100k (replaces nothing, placed above Impala and may steal some Impala sales) Grand Prix/G8 - 75k (replaces current GP) GTO - 25k (replaces current GTO) Velite sedan - 40k (replaces Lucerne) Velite coupe - 15k (takes spot left by Rivera departure) El Camino - 35k (in effect replaces SSR in lineup but priced much lower and is not a convertible). Prices would be: Camaro: $20-29k Bel Air: $27-35k Grand Prix/G8: $28-36k GTO: $32-37k Velite sedan and coupe: $29-41k El Camino: $22-32k Maybe an Infiniti FX style crossover here or there would be added somewhere along the line, but it would appear GM is going to have the crossover segment covered by the time any Zetas would arrive. Maybe the market will be shifting to that type of crossover by then, it would all depend. I really don't see the need for any more Zetas than what I've already listed unless you want to give Saturn one. And to be honest, I don't really see the need for a Velite coupe and GTO (one but not both), I just think Buick needs a halo like the Velite coupe would be. The Bel Air probably isn't really needed above the Impala if you just converted the Impala to Zeta, and 5 Chevy sedans could be hard to justify. It could make the Zeta business case easier to approve if the Impala was moved to RWD and had a projected volume of what it does now (250k+) which would definetly up the total Zeta volume a lot. Technically the El Camino isn't needed either, but it'd be relatively easy to just import the Ute from Holden and I think there is a niche market for it. A Bel Air coupe (or MC) could possibly be justified, but I think the Camaro and GTO should be able to handle the coupe segment. If it was really cheap to do then it would probably be a good addition for those wanting a bread-and-butter coupe but wanted something bigger than the Camaro and without a V8 (meaning they wouldn't want a GTO). Again though, unless it's cheap it wouldn't make good business sense. If the vehicles have to be saleable by '08 then most of these are probably not going to make it. I guess the easiest two would be the El Camino and a Grand Prix based on the Commodore (not the current one, the next one), and I think that the Camaro may be far enough along as well. The Camaro is not even on Zeta at this point from what I've heard, so it's possible that you would have to remove it from the list of Zetas.

Let make this realistic.  Release date for first vehicle in 2009.  More importantly, what vehicles will the rwd replace and what will be new models with projected volumes.  Build a business and not pipe dream.

[post="19727"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Evok...I truthfully tossed this out there to guage enthusiast feedback. But...IM me anyway http://www.cheersandgears.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AH-HA_wink.gif

The responses are awesome though...I think this deserves A LOT of focus from around the 'net. It could carve the future of RWD inside GM. Something really really really tough to chew on right now considering their defense to RWD cars

Chevrolet Caprice - sedan and coupe - $25,000 to $32,500 - will replace Impala LTZ and SS and all Monte Carlos - volume 125,000. I always liked the Chevrolet Lagunas from the mid 1970's - maybe use the Laguna name for the coupe. (Lower end Impala LS and LT would go to lwb Epsilon II and priced $22,500 to $27,500) Pontiac Grand Prix/GTO - sedan and coupe - $25,000 to $35,000 (no more alphanumerics for Pontiac) - volume 100,000 Buick Riviera - sedan, coupe, and convertible - $30,000 to $45,000 - volume 75,000 - replace Lucerne (LaCrosse goes to lwb Epsilon II) The Chevrolet and Pontiac models would use the fuel efficient 3.5L OHV V6 for the base models, 5.3L V8 for premium models, and 6.0L V8 for performance models. The Buick would use a 300 hp direct injection 3.6L HF V6 as standard, with 325 hp Northstar on premium models. The Chevrolet and Pontiac coupes would be about 195 inches long, the sedans would be about 200 inches long, and the wheelbase would be about 116 inches. The Buicks would be about 205 inches long, with a 120 inch wheelbase.

Chevrolet Camaro coupe/convertible

Chevrolet Caprice or Bel Air sedan and wagon

Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Pontiac Grand Prix or Bonneville sedan and wagon

Pontiac GTO coupe/convertible

Buick Riviera coupe/convertible

Buick Invicta sedan/wagon

spread over all those models and bodystyles and with the potential sales volumes packed into those model names as authentic versions of themselves, I see no reason why the platform wouldn't be a blockbuster for GM.

Velite
Impala
Camaro
G8
GTO

[post="19646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The same except I would change from Impala to Caprice, as the current Impala in front-wheel drive form seems to be very popular.

Buick: Velite roadster Roadmaster sedan Pontiac: G8/Bonneville GTO Chevy: Caprice Camaro

What I'd like to see?

G6/GTO (midsize)

Invicta (mid-large)

SS-style Monte Carlo, 400+ hp Riviera and lwb Electra sedan(large)

G8 and GTO Camaro Impala Lucerne replacement, 4dr & 2dr The G8, GTO, and Camaro would be the first out. Pontiac needs the product and people are waiting for a Camaro. The big cars from Chevy and Buick, the Impala and Lucerene, just came out so they'd be last up for getting replacement cars on Zeta.

Lots of good replies already. How about a replacement for the Checker Marathon that has been mentioned in other threads lately. The sales to police departments and taxi owners who prefer rear wheel drive would gurantee a solid sale basis for the architecure thus guranteeing the business case.

i thnk it goes w/o saying, a Camaro and T/A and more a performance buick, say.... riviera, soiunds fine. caprice and el camino after a year or two. and then mainly make the wagons, coupes, converts, of the models that could have them.

Obviously Buick needs firsts how can you be the division that tows the line and gets nothing new until last ? Riviera 2dr hardtop, with a long wheelbase 4dr sedan - whatever, not sure on a name then the remain two FWDers need to combine into a new space effecient cabin and trunk, midsize that can still sell at Lacrosse price - without hubcaps Then Pontiac needs its full size sedan back and GrandPrix would go on same new midsize FWD as above Buick. I dont see GTO as much huge importance when they now have the Soltice sports car, G6 Coupe/conv. and are lacking the compact or commuter car they need for sales. After all there is not that much to go around. sacrifice must be made. Look at it like this - GTO-low production nitch car Solstice-low production nitch car G6 coupe/conv.-low production nitch car they cant have it al and they do need their large sedan and their small transport for sales. Let us not forget we also have various "trucks" in these lines too. Whats left ? well certainly not saturin we are now making modern full size RWD Buicks and Pontiacs in the old saturin plants and saturins Kappa went to Buick in a more expensive fully standard optioned turboed Buick [ but thats another topic] So now I suppose Chevy could get its BelAir and a Camaro which will do what successfully what GTO was supposed to. It will be its own car not a rebadged/faced Holden. So thats it, no super stacking the lines up, just enough to go around Buick-1coupe,1sedan Pontiac-1sedan + that little starter car Chevy-1coupe, 1sedan Buick comes first, enough is enough

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor