G8 Teaser

For those that aren't ga-ga over the styling (me included), just remember keeps the wolves at bay so we can have our own NA-conceived G8 in a few more years.

don't get to excited, it's only going to be a MCE.

people seem to think it's going to be a brand NEW G8 for 2010? it's going to be the same platform etc, built in a new location with a refreshed exterior.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did pretty much nothing but split the grill in half and stick an arrowhead in the middle. Not even the wheels are new. I know that's what we were to expect, but it still irritates me. The Pontiac design heratage is being muddied up. The Commodore is a good looking car, it's just not Pontiac.

And sprinkled in a few HSV parts :) The 19" clubsport wheels and HSV brakes , the scoops on the hood are operational .

the reason they are making a fuss of this, is because its not American, its IMPORTED. Just a hunch. And GM is using it to their advantage, good I think. But it does say to me that people will not look at some American cars anymore unless you put an 'imported' spin on it.

I just like the car alot. Good proportions, right sized, looks aggressive without looking Asian or boy racer or redneck. I'd really love to get into this thing.

Edited by regfootball

Shouldn't the ABC piece be titled Toyota's Woes? Or maybe BMW's Woes? without seeing the show, I have to ask why the press keeps slamming the American automaker(s) particularly when they are showing a product that, at first glance, looks like it can compete with cars like the BMW 3 or 5 series, and the Lexus IS - the brakes and wheels on this car look dead hot, and the panel gaps look tight from what I can see.

Question: Did ABC do a piece titled Toyota's Failures and show a tundra or two without a front wheel?

GM is going to make a car tha BMW has not made since Bangle showed up.

If BMW is not going to make a good looking lower priced BMW Pontiac may has well.

If priced as expected it should do well and make it cool to own a Pontiac again. It should sell very well.

Too bad John Z Delorean is not here to see where Pontiac is finally going. He wanted this kind of car in the late 60's.

Gee! Since when did CAPTAIN OBVIOUS get here?

Good point! However, I do like the Holden and I think that this car is a huge step forward over some of the current offerings over at Pontiac, but it also fits in well with the G6 and Solstice. For those talking about the GTO (failure?) - I think this car fits into a broader audience than a 2 door coupe with limited space and no options that US buyers like which was targeted at an audience that could not afford the car until huge incentives brought the price down. Seriously, the GTO needed a sunroof, NAV and heated seats for the money they were asking for on the sticker, which competitors offered in that price range. The G8/Holden is a 4 door with a much broader appeal to the family guy/gal wanting performance AND room for the whole family. I think that this car is going to be a hit provided they do not start trying to sell the car for $5,000 or better over sticker like they did with the GTO...I know that turned me off with that car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sexy... Looks absolutely perfect to me and I'm picky as hell. So those complaining are weird... in more ways than one.

I can't beleive we went 9 posts before someone noticed the new Pontiac Logo.

It's been a half cetury since the Pontiac logo was reworked as the Arrowhead.

It's the first thing I noticed. However, it's still an arrowhead. It's just slightly reworked... which has happened many times to the arrowhead. Personally, I'm not a fan of the all silver look that so many emblems have these days. I liked the red better... I think black would have been the perfect color to update it with.

GM is going to make a car tha BMW has not made since Bangle showed up.

If BMW is not going to make a good looking lower priced BMW Pontiac may has well.

:withstupid:

Love the wheels... the best aspect of the overall design of the Commodore/G8 styling IMHO are the taut proportions... short front overhang, plenty of front wheel to front door distance...the look says RWD...a complete break from the awkward Grand Prix and it's long FWD overhang and way-too-short wheel to door distance...

I think the G8 will be a great Charger competitor...much better looking than the Charger, IMHO...and hopefully with an available 6-speed manual. For all the whiners, f*ck 'em...they can buy Grand Prixs and spin their front tires.

Edited by moltar

This car is sexy as hell. I can't believe people are complaining about it. It's the first Pontiac in years besides the Solstice that isn't awkward or ugly. In fact, I'd be afraid to see what an "NA conceived and designed" G8 would look like...

Posted Image

*Shudder*

No, I'll take this beauty...in fact...I was planning on the Charger being my next car...but after seeing this I may just aspire for one of these babies.

Hey I was going to post that pic. Shucks. Seriously, this car looks way better than a GP and that fugly G6 coupe Dodgefan posted. The interior will be great and hopefully the performance too. Once this car comes out and people start seeing it on the road, most of the naysayers will be swayed.

Gee! Since when did CAPTAIN OBVIOUS get here?

Duh! If you even knew me, you would understand that was the point, it is so obvious. :rolleyes: Too many people act like this is something they haven't seen before when it's just a car we're all familiar with. The same goes for Astra, it's the same damn car.

Duh! If you even knew me, you would understand that was the point, it is so obvious. :rolleyes: Too many people act like this is something they haven't seen before when it's just a car we're all familiar with. The same goes for Astra, it's the same damn car.

Remember, though, the majority of the American car buying public haven't seen the Commodore..they don't know what Holden is or where Australia is...so this is a totally new car for them...

I completely missed that it has a new emblem. I confused the monochrome for glare. For awhile I figured it was only a matter of time before they would update the arrowhead. This beats that Van Halen dealie that I made that most of you have seen...

The car itself looks nice. Somehow this is exactly how I was expecting it to look, minus those sweet wheels. Conservative? Yes. Boring? Hell no.

The front end looks more Torrent (not good) than Solstice-nonetheless its awesome Charlie Gibson was able to get a tour inside the GM Studios and I can't wait for G8 to come on the scene!

The new logo looks great, silver, and maybe a little changes. redesigning the logo.....comes at the right time, the current one is tired and wouldn't look great on the new car, it just looks like it needed to be brought into the new century. and it's greatly symbolic to have it on the new G8. I'm not sure how the look of this car is going to turn out, but I like what Ted said, it has potential. I know a lot of us are waiting with baited breath, but I think it's time to take a look at the greater scope of things.....it is incredible and so overdue that Pontiac is getting this great car that symbolizes what Pontiac should stand for, stealth, tension/agression, unrivaled performance..., incredible that GM is even releasing a car of this caliber here in America, which when it comes out will literally be one of the best sedans every produced by GM....., incredible that Pontiac and GM were both written off for dead by so many news stories, here is your redemption, here is your time to give a big F U to the journalists and public at large that believed GM could not do it...with every new popular design car that GM releases to the public, they have a new shot at fame. That's what we all fought for for so many years in the early part of this decade; all the bitching paid off, and it's finally coming to fruition. As they said, 2007 and 2008 will be the year of the car for GM. Just imagining the Camaro driving around town, looking all futuristic, tough and loud, with its big wheels and size-defying Hot Wheels look...it's going to do something tremendous for GM, make them cool again, give them life again.

I was thinking about this because of the story about GM confirming this car and making such a big fuss about it. BRAVO! This car deserves all they hype you can throw on it! For GM to show it to the public now, maybe 9 months before its arrival [hopefully sooner], and just surprise the public, BRAVO! For them to choose that beautiful dark gray color, along with the right set of wheels, BRAVO!

BRAVO, for making a big deal out of this. GM's lineup is fleshing out, they need to do a commercial soon, once the Camaro is a few months out, linking all their new cars together, but starting with individual cinemtography of each car setting the paces, showing thier unique character, with high adrenaline angles, shooting, and driving. Shoot the commercials in the same style so that all the cars are clearly linked, do one for G8, for Camaro, CTS, Malibu, Aura, Astra. Focus on CARS, don't truck it up, and muddy the image of what these cars represent. A whole new thinking at GM.

Excellent post!

And bravo GM!!!! It looks as if you're going to turn me into a believer on this G8 topic.

It's the first thing I noticed. However, it's still an arrowhead. It's just slightly reworked... which has happened many times to the arrowhead. Personally, I'm not a fan of the all silver look that so many emblems have these days. I liked the red better... I think black would have been the perfect color to update it with.

I agree... But the chrome is a nice tie in with what Pontiac should've been all along (Referencing the 60's)

Gee, I know who you are and I though you still had a sense of Humor. So you did not get my bad pun following up your bad pun? :AH-HA_wink:

We all got your point as it was not that deep, nor was mine. Lets let the joke drop as we do not want to leave anyone out or offended here. Neither of us are ready for a stand up act yet.

Any how back to the topic at hand .

I am glad the car has a good looking face and ponder if the front brakes are just for Chicago or will they make production on a GXP?

I believe many of thse who were upset in the other post will be plesantly suprised buy the changes they have made to give it a modern Pontiac feel and look. We are not dealing with a 1973 Grand am trying to be a BMW or a 1984 STE trying to be a Mercedes for once.

I saw the whole ABC piece off a list of news videos on my Comcast internet home page. The piece is, in my opinion, pro-GM. Gibson seems like Charlie in the Chocolate Factory as he walks through the design studio halls with Rick. Gibson also mentions prominently that GM has more models with 30 mpg or better than any of the Asian imports. And he stresses the staggering health care costs that are hobbling all of the domestic manufacturers, but in particular GM, stating how "generous" GM's employee health plan is, and how much they pay out a year vs. the Asian transplants. All in all, a very good piece. The title, understandably if taken out of context, seems anti-, but if you see the whole piece, it really isn't at all.

I saw the whole ABC piece off a list of news videos on my Comcast internet home page. The piece is, in my opinion, pro-GM. Gibson seems like Charlie in the Chocolate Factory as he walks through the design studio halls with Rick. Gibson also mentions prominently that GM has more models with 30 mpg or better than any of the Asian imports. And he stresses the staggering health care costs that are hobbling all of the domestic manufacturers, but in particular GM, stating how "generous" GM's employee health plan is, and how much they pay out a year vs. the Asian transplants. All in all, a very good piece. The title, understandably if taken out of context, seems anti-, but if you see the whole piece, it really isn't at all.

I agree! GM is being treated much better by the press of late while Ford is the new whipping boy for America.

Even Toyota the company that could do no wrong is taking hits on the new Camry. Is this the start of a new trend?

I think the new comback of a American car company would play good with the press and they will run with it as it will get people to watch or read.

Guest YellowJacket894

I finally figured where that grille came from:

Posted Image

Very tasteful remake of this concept. :thumbsup:

Dude, I so totally said that on page one. :P

You know, the grilles are like those on the Dream Cruise GTO concept. Hmmmm . . .

the color looks great - very rich looking. looks like they spent alot of time with multiple coats on it.

the color is awesome, don't think I've seen anything like it on a GM since the GXP concepts from the early 2000s. I would love to see it on CTS and other GMs---in general I'd like to see richer colors on GM models.

The traditional Pontiac Arrowhead first appeared for MY '59, and on the cars it featured a white field.

In '60, the emblem was redesigned with a more shield-like shape with small 'wings' and different internals.

In '61-63 the outer shape returned to a narrow triangle with a 'V'd top. It was predominently silver with some black & white angular detailing within.

It was not until '64 that the traditional "59" Arrowhead reappeared, always in all silver with a thin black outlining and the star.

The red field first appeared on the '69 GP (which was the same year the Arrowhead was first used in print advertising), and the Pontiac Arrowhead has not changed since then.

The one in the pics in this thread is interesting to me- not the all-silver treatment, which has been pointed out- was used in the '60s, but the outer shape: the first time different in almost 50 years. How the 'internals' will differ with that notch in the V --if at all-- has me curious.

The G8 overall will be interesting, tho I cannot dispell the hunch that I will be reading more than one sentiment eerily-similar to those subjectives about the GTO's styling.

I don't agree on the Pontiac arrowhead hasn't changed. The arrowhead on mine has subtle differences from the older ones. At one point the arrows were much rounder, then it got pointier. The star in the emblem also changed in sizes.

Sunfire:

Posted Image

Solstice:

Posted Image

I've seen another rounder version, when Sixty8 was making my sig. He originally used that version of the arrowhead (I don't know which car it came from), then I asked him to change it to this modern version.

The G8 looks like it'll be a fine car, but I don't think I'll be rushing out to trade in my 300C. It's just too generic-Japanese looking for my taste. I have a similar take on the new Malibu. Now the new CTS - there's an example of rolling art, original and owing nothing to the Japanese blandmobile tradition. Even the Aura stands out from the crowd in a way that this Pontiac (and the GTO that preceded it) doesn't. Both the Chrysler Nassau concept and the Ford Interceptor concept appeal to me more than the Holden/G8 does.

Edited by Jazzhead

Toni- subtle proportion changes or sharpness of the points are not 'different' emblems (by design) in my book. The logo has 100% of the same elements & color as it had in 1969. In fact, I had thought that perhaps the star was recently eliminated, but I checked and obviously it wasn't. Different locations & surfaces & treatments will dictate slight alterations in the Arrowhead, as to be expected. But the design has not changed since '69 ('64 if you eliminate color).

Toni: I bleive the original I used IIRC, was off of a 1992-96 Grand Am SE.

but it's been like a year so I may be wrong.